Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
threatening to port from linux to freebsd is the "i'm moving to canada" for unix neckbeards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

Only an idiot would think that switching to Linux would lower costs. There were a few projects at Red Hat that started out with the initiative of "lower the price of a starting Linux sysadmin" to compete with Windows. They pivoted away from that goal, unfortunately.

the only company that could possibly make a Linux compete w/ windows TCO has abandoned the concept.

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
No avatar. I just saved you some load time. You're welcome.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Only an idiot would think that switching to Linux would lower costs. There were a few projects at Red Hat that started out with the initiative of "lower the price of a starting Linux sysadmin" to compete with Windows. They pivoted away from that goal, unfortunately.

Everyone always forgets the cost of labor.

power botton posted:

my $85k/yr paycheck

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

if you actually literally care about operating systems please actually literally kill yourself

what about working on the one you care about?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

quality iyg posting right there guys, those purchases sure are defended!

go back to gbs

pram
Jun 10, 2001
can u imagine, arguing about operating systems in yospos. lol

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Jonny 290 posted:

what

systemd owns lmao

fleet is clunky but still pretty much owns

coreos + etcd + fleet owwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnssssssssssssss

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

isn't FreeBSD going with launchd?

if they aren't they should, though they lack the awesomeness that is Mach

pram
Jun 10, 2001
kubernetes is better than fleet

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Shaggar posted:

the only company that could possibly make a Linux compete w/ windows TCO has abandoned the concept.

shagger get out this is a linux safe space

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pram posted:

can u imagine, arguing about operating systems in yospos. lol

p. sure there is some fine grey forum out there for your brand of bland cheerleading really

pram
Jun 10, 2001

p. sure there is some fine grey forum out there for your brand of bland cheerleading really

god look at u gettin all worked up about someone mentioning osx in the linux safe space what a little baby

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

quality iyg posting right there guys, those purchases sure are defended!

get out

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
this but you

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

a reminder that this isnt an unironic lunix appreciation thread

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I can unironically appreciate gnu/linux in whatever thread I want to

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Although there are those who think the systemd debate has been decided in favor of systemd, the exceedingly loud protests on message boards, forums, and the posts I wrote over the past two weeks would indicate otherwise.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
More like this
--------------
* Choose your side on the Linux divide
* Systemd: Harbinger of the Linux apocalypse
* Review: RHEL 7 lands with a jolt

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

ZShakespeare posted:

I was thinking of maybe possibly trying gnome 3 again but this thread has warned me off of it thanks yospos.

Mate suiting the hell out of my needs.

e: KDE 5 looking slick maybe in 10 years it'll be usable.

why wait, you can install windows vista now

eschaton posted:

haiku ships a web browser and it actually works

of course 99% of that is because it's WebKit based but the other 1% is because haiku is actually willing to make reasonable decisions about interface instead of leave them up to each developer

epiphany is webkit and its UI design is so good apple stole it for the new safari so what exactly is the problem

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

oval office AND PASTE posted:

epiphany is webkit and its UI design is so good apple stole it for the new safari so what exactly is the problem

no wonder safari is sucking more than usual lately

pagoe
Feb 19, 2013

using autism for the betterment of society at large. the spirit of stebe lives on

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

that sound you hear is a thousand slashdotter heads exploding

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Gazpacho posted:

that sound you hear is a thousand slashdotter heads exploding

More like 1 shagger head exploding

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
it's time

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

I'm not sure which I hate more, systemd or OSX.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Zombywuf posted:

I'm not sure which I hate more, systemd or OSX.

I like them both op

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Amazon tiny EC2 instances are cheaper on Windows than RHEL or SUSE, go figure.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

MrMoo posted:

Amazon tiny EC2 instances are cheaper on Windows than RHEL or SUSE, go figure.

because the license isnt included in the price for micro instances. when you have to use a real size, lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

holy poo poo that guy

my simplicity, my modularity -- a man who uses and advocates linux, a giant monolithic kernel from hell. if you're such an absolutist about these vitally important principles, it's about time you ditched this torvalds egoproject, got right with high priest andy tanenbaum, and put your efforts into hurd

it's almost as if the systemd pushback by the ~real true linux users~ (aka neckbeard sysadmins) is just reactionary whining against change which threatens their expertise in lovely 1980s SysV bullshit

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Init is the standard process controller.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

has the debian fork started their wiki yet?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

i installed a linux the other day, and gnome 3 was really bad.
windows dont even have a minimize button wtf

also it hosed up my windows install. like i booted back up into windows and my mouse and keyboard stopped working so i literally had to reinstall windows

thanks linux torvalds

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

Ludwig van Halen posted:

gnome 3 was really bad. windows dont even have a minimize button wtf

where exactly would you like your windows to minimize to

if you didn't think that far, it sounds like maybe you didn't really give it a chance

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

where exactly would you like your windows to minimize to

if you didn't think that far, it sounds like maybe you didn't really give it a chance

probably the top bar thing that is literally 90% empty space with a dumb rear end clock dead center

hell even break out the dock os x style and get rid of the stupid hot corner windows 8 bullshit

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

My mother-in-law needed a computer for internet browsing and storing pictures of grandchildren, so I assembled one for her and put Mint 17 on it, because gently caress paying for an OS for that. My overall command of Linux is probably about a 2 out of 10, but I have run a few different flavors on my laptop over the last few years, and will be changing it to Mint 17 as well to help build familiarity with the OS for when she has questions. My goal is that being her tech support will give me the kick in the rear end I need to start to really put more effort into learning Linux.

The one hiccup with her computer requirements is that she is also an avid sewer, and the machine that she has accepts a proprietary USB storage card that uses its own software to interface with the PC. The software is Brother PED-Basic (version 1.07, if you're curious). WINE handles the software no problem because it is basically babbys first file-transfer program; however, the instructions for installing the USB dongle is to plug it in on your Windows system and wait for it to recognize the device, then point it towards the driver on the CD. The problem is that WINE doesn't care to acknowledge the newly plugged in USB device and installing the proper driver.

My skill set may be limited, but it doesn't seem like it should be too big of a stretch to have WINE recognize that a USB device is connected and needs a driver associated with it (it is a glorified thumbdrive). Am I assuming that this is much more simple than really will be, or is it achievable with a little bit of goon assistance?

(Poor sewer lady :( http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=436452995#post436452995)

Captain Pike fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 21, 2014

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Video editors can have bad hygiene, but you're just cruel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Ludwig van Halen posted:

probably the top bar thing that is literally 90% empty space with a dumb rear end clock dead center

hell even break out the dock os x style and get rid of the stupid hot corner windows 8 bullshit

'minimise' to another workspace hth