Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
despite my earlier statements i think i will try arch because any sort of prettied up bullshit that distros add to make things work better just fucks things up worse so i might as well try a distro that doesn't even bother

won't have to wait a year for the latest gnome or w/e to be usable either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
why don't people consider slackware for no-frills installation anymore :(

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
because it has all the downsides of gentoo and arch and the other ricer distributions and none of the upsides

also it's dead and starting to smell bad

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Mr Dog posted:

because it has all the downsides of gentoo and arch and the other ricer distributions and none of the upsides

also it's dead and starting to smell bad

use crux

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its like slackware and arch but WAY MORE MASOCHISTIC

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

pram posted:

use crux
gonna

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
if i were to go that far i'd just do linux from scratch

like, boot up some live usb and just start compiling and "make install"ing

the advent of systemd actually makes this somewhat doable if you feel like sitting there being a human recursive dependency resolver for like a week, since systemd takes care of all the artisanal scripting you'd have to do to get a from-scratch linux off the ground

but yeah i don't see the point in flashburning my ssd a whole bunch

also i have better things to do with a week of my life that i will never ever get back

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
MATE is literally the only worthwhile linux desktop

gnome2 is basically the soviet union in that it never should have stopped being a thing and everyone who depended on it got hosed over when it vanished

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

cool win95 opinions

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

my stepdads beer posted:

cool win95 opinions

mods

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
gnome 3 is seriously the only desktop worth talking about, everything else is stale terrible kitchen-sink garbage (KDE), or a lovely and unnecessary fork of gnome 3

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
gnome 3 is gnome 2 with an entire version's worth of features removed

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

oval office AND PASTE posted:

gnome 3 is seriously the only desktop worth talking about, everything else is stale terrible kitchen-sink garbage (KDE), or a lovely and unnecessary fork of gnome 3

nah

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

a window manager needs to manage your windows, not eat all your memory and give you a ui that's lovely for the same reason metro is

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

i need to start an application, let me load up a screen full of gigantic icons that take five minutes to scroll through because everyone uses tablets anyway right --designers of metro, os x lion, and gnome 3

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

HorseLord posted:

gnome 3 is gnome 2 with an entire version's worth of features removed

stick to kde okay

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

my stepdads beer posted:

stick to cde okay

pram
Jun 10, 2001
why do you need a windows manager period, when all your linux should ever be running is some kind of server daemon ... ??

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

i need to start an application, let me load up a screen full of gigantic icons that take five minutes to scroll through because everyone uses tablets anyway right --designers of metro, os x lion, and gnome 3

see this wouldn't be a bad thing if, like in lion, it was a thing you could just ignore because they didn't unecessarily remove anything because ~~innovation~~.

fwiw my mom loves launchpad because it makes sense to her. I think I've used it once to see what it was like.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
launchpad owns tho

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

:allears: my two finger swipin' :allears:

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
hey pram did you hear wayne static died today?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
no i didnt

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Gazpacho posted:

Oh they know why, these are people who fell in love with Linux as a hip hop nerd os pasted together from awk scripts until it mostly kinda works, and as that fork fedora page demonstrates the init script system was one of the hippity hoppiest parts, if that gets cleaned up where will they find an outlet for their scripting creativity :stonk:
So systemd is breaking their scripts?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
can't break what ain't fixen

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Mr Dog posted:

won't have to wait a year for the latest gnome or w/e to be usable either

you could have chosen a better example there

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
er, available, not usable. On Fedora you have to wait like half a year, and it sucks for the GNOME devs cuz they release something and nobody even starts using their poo poo and reports bugs in it until half way through the next version's release cycle

except the Arch users that is

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Hit Super, start typing the application's name, then scroll around w/ arrow keys and hit enter.

You know, the exact same sequence of actions you'd use to launch a program in Windows 7.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

i agree, ignore the gnome shell as much as possible

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i3 supremacy

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

er, available, not usable. On Fedora you have to wait like half a year, and it sucks for the GNOME devs cuz they release something and nobody even starts using their poo poo and reports bugs in it until half way through the next version's release cycle

Fedora's release cycle was always supposed to be one month after GNOME release. Unfortunately, Anaconda hosed that up. Anaconda keeps getting worse, and even now, with two release cycles skipped to make way for the incredible, mind-bending change of "some different packages are installed by default", Fedora 21 is still blocked by Anaconda.

I don't know what happened with Anaconda or Fedora 21.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
crux doesn't boot in virtualbox :(

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Suspicious Dish posted:

Fedora's release cycle was always supposed to be one month after GNOME release. Unfortunately, Anaconda hosed that up. Anaconda keeps getting worse, and even now, with two release cycles skipped to make way for the incredible, mind-bending change of "some different packages are installed by default", Fedora 21 is still blocked by Anaconda.

I thought Anaconda was their OS installer. what else does it do?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
It is. I don't know why it's consistently hard that it's always late and has OS blockers, but it does.

https://qa.fedoraproject.org/blockerbugs/milestone/21/alpha/buglist
https://qa.fedoraproject.org/blockerbugs/milestone/21/beta/buglist
https://qa.fedoraproject.org/blockerbugs/milestone/21/final/buglist

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Suspicious Dish posted:

I don't know what happened with Anaconda

Suspicious Dish posted:

I don't know why it's consistently hard

probably :nws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDZX4ooRsWs

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

oval office AND PASTE posted:

everything else is stale terrible kitchen-sink garbage (KDE)

every user only uses 10% of the features. which is to say, each user cares deeply about a different 10% subset of available features.

what you dismiss as a "kitchen-sink" attitude, the rest of the world sees as featureful software.

p.s. this is also why microsoft excel owns bones. other spreadsheet vendors decided they could define the perfect model for spreadsheet interaction. microsoft just listened to actual living users, who liked using the app to make lists and perform business functions and do all kinds of things unforeseen by the original authors

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 4, 2014

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Suspicious Dish posted:

Ironically Ubuntu had the same idea (Gnome one month after X, Ubuntu one month after Gnome). Somehow Ubuntu has kept its cadence despite not actually using the latest Gnome releases for the LTSes. So sometimes we skip a version. And of course Unity isn't Gnome (but Ubuntu-Gnome is now a thing).

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

ShadowHawk posted:

Ironically Ubuntu had the same idea (Gnome one month after X, Ubuntu one month after Gnome). Somehow Ubuntu has kept its cadence despite not actually using the latest Gnome releases for the LTSes. So sometimes we skip a version. And of course Unity isn't Gnome (but Ubuntu-Gnome is now a thing).

they do it by shipping beta level products even by Linux standards for the sake of meeting date based versioning deadlines

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Ludwig van Halen posted:

they do it by shipping beta level products even by Linux standards for the sake of meeting date based versioning deadlines
If you're not using the LTSes this is kinda true.

LTSes will very much prefer older stable software to new poo poo though.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

ShadowHawk posted:

If you're not using the LTSes this is kinda true.
it's literally true. it's the reason I stopped using ubuntu years ago, after they deliberately shipped broken video drivers because the alternative was either delaying the release slightly or leaving out some other feature that required the new broken beta drivers.

(anecdote may be inaccurate because gently caress looking up the details)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nannerpus_
Nov 9, 2012

what about a banana, friend

Soricidus posted:

(anecdote may be inaccurate because gently caress looking up the details)

because that may require consulting ubuntu forums and lol at that loving prospect