Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

angel opportunity posted:

my new erotica writing schedule is to just stay up really late until I finish my words

Story of my life, late-writing buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

Sundae posted:

Story of my life, late-writing buddy.

I am writing right now! My words are always better in the night. Really conflicts with the whole job thing.

My whole motivation for making money at writing is so I can stay up as late as I want and no one can tell me when i have to get out of bed in the morning. :colbert:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

my new erotica writing schedule is to just stay up really late until I finish my words

Same, but not erotica.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
I don't think I've ever posted in this thread, but I just want to say thanks to all you super-inspiring goons. Published my first two, erm, 'turbo romances' on KDP earlier. You've all been a great help and motivation, whether you realise it or not.

Yeah that's me too. I'm up way too early and up way too late, but to be fair I also work full-time and have a newborn. My deadlines think that's a poo poo excuse, though.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

SquirrelFace posted:

I am writing right now! My words are always better in the night. Really conflicts with the whole job thing.

My whole motivation for making money at writing is so I can stay up as late as I want and no one can tell me when i have to get out of bed in the morning. :colbert:

Yeah, same here. Some weeks get so bad that I sleep during the day to write during the night.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Okay, I stayed up super late last night and wrote about 5,500 words, then published everything and got all my promo lined up for this weekend. Off to vacation I go! Hopefully I come back to all the money. :)

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Running another 50% sale. Same bat website (https://www.store.ravenkult.com), same bat code (FIFTY).

You can also add on a wraparound cover and/or title design at checkout.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ravenkult posted:

Running another 50% sale. Same bat website (https://www.store.ravenkult.com), same bat code (FIFTY).

You can also add on a wraparound cover and/or title design at checkout.
Holy poo poo your stuff looks so good.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I noticed that an erotica short series in the genre I am targeting just uses the same blurb for each edition. This seems bad to me, but I want to copy what works. Should I set the blurb up that it just fits all of the stories, or should the blurbs give an idea of what happens within each released part?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Why not both? Blurb for each, followed by a short blurb for the overall series.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

You sure as hell better nail that blurb.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

I noticed that an erotica short series in the genre I am targeting just uses the same blurb for each edition. This seems bad to me, but I want to copy what works. Should I set the blurb up that it just fits all of the stories, or should the blurbs give an idea of what happens within each released part?

It looks incredibly lazy when you use the same blurb or even the same intro paragraph for each book. That's an automatic no-buy for me.

By The Horns
Aug 6, 2012

When in doubt, always correct to "pounding"

Mine is stay up late playing Borderlands 2. It's not working out so well at the moment.

I need a new taskmaster ;)

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I've been doing about 2,000 words per night, getting out a 10,000-word short every week. There are days I don't quite hit the goal, and some days I go out and don't write at all. I work 40 hours per week 8-5, so it's hard to have a day where I go out AND write 2,000 words, but as long as I release something every week it feels pretty good.

edit:

Here is my plan for my current series, please let me know if any of this is bad, and if so, how I can fix it:

I released a paranormal erotica short as my first release, and I used fiverr and the 5-day promotion on it. Since then, I've released two shorts of a billionaire story that will be three parts in total. Only the paranormal story has had sales (very few) and KU downloads. It's made like...$16, while the billionaire stories have made $2. I think this is happening because I have not done a free promotion on the billionaire stories.

My plan is to release the final part of the billionaire story this weekend, or on Monday. Is there a general best time of the week to start a five-day promotion? As soon as part III is live in the store, I am going to do the fiverr promotion again and make Part I of the series free for five days. When I last did the five-day promotion, my short got over 1,000 free downloads and hit top 10 in its sub-category, but I had NOTHING else for sale, and that story was not even part of a series. I really hope that having direct follow-ups to what people read for free available to buy and read on KU will translate to a lot of sales. My only concern is that with thousands of free downloads, I still had very few KU reads relative to the free download number. I don't think there's any solution to that beyond "write more" though.

I've also taken some advice from people in IRC and priced all my 10,000-word shorts at $0.99. I've heard people say this is bad in general, because it comes off as low quality. I've seen ~20,000 word shorts on the best seller list going for $2.99, and I'm only doing 10,000 words. $2.99 seems a bit steep. People in IRC were also saying that the key is to get a lot of KU downloads rather than actual sales, and maybe by having a lower price point I will make up the lost sales revenue in a higher borrow volume on KU?

Once I start writing longer stuff, I will definitely price at $2.99, but $0.99 seems appropriate for a 10,000-word story.

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 12, 2015

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

By The Horns posted:

Mine is stay up late playing Borderlands 2. It's not working out so well at the moment.

I need a new taskmaster ;)
You're only allowed to play once you've done 1,000 words. Use word count targets instead of time based ones so you can't dick around til the timer runs down. If you don't meet the word count, you don't play. That's your motivation.

If you ever want this to be a career, you have to learn to self motivate.

e: which by the sound of it, Angel Opportunity is managing admirably.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 12, 2015

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

I've been doing about 2,000 words per night, getting out a 10,000-word short every week. There are days I don't quite hit the goal, and some days I go out and don't write at all. I work 40 hours per week 8-5, so it's hard to have a day where I go out AND write 2,000 words, but as long as I release something every week it feels pretty good.

edit:

Here is my plan for my current series, please let me know if any of this is bad, and if so, how I can fix it:

I released a paranormal erotica short as my first release, and I used fiverr and the 5-day promotion on it. Since then, I've released two shorts of a billionaire story that will be three parts in total. Only the paranormal story has had sales (very few) and KU downloads. It's made like...$16, while the billionaire stories have made $2. I think this is happening because I have not done a free promotion on the billionaire stories.

My plan is to release the final part of the billionaire story this weekend, or on Monday. Is there a general best time of the week to start a five-day promotion? As soon as part III is live in the store, I am going to do the fiverr promotion again and make Part I of the series free for five days. When I last did the five-day promotion, my short got over 1,000 free downloads and hit top 10 in its sub-category, but I had NOTHING else for sale, and that story was not even part of a series. I really hope that having direct follow-ups to what people read for free available to buy and read on KU will translate to a lot of sales. My only concern is that with thousands of free downloads, I still had very few KU reads relative to the free download number. I don't think there's any solution to that beyond "write more" though.

I've also taken some advice from people in IRC and priced all my 10,000-word shorts at $0.99. I've heard people say this is bad in general, because it comes off as low quality. I've seen ~20,000 word shorts on the best seller list going for $2.99, and I'm only doing 10,000 words. $2.99 seems a bit steep. People in IRC were also saying that the key is to get a lot of KU downloads rather than actual sales, and maybe by having a lower price point I will make up the lost sales revenue in a higher borrow volume on KU?

Once I start writing longer stuff, I will definitely price at $2.99, but $0.99 seems appropriate for a 10,000-word story.

Is there a consensus on how to target for KU downloads as opposed to purchases?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I don't really know, I'm just floundering around :D

I'm guessing--and what I heard on IRC which was passed down by successful people in this thread--is that by doing the lower price point you are trading in the 70% share of your sales by selling more volume, which increases the exposure, which increases the KU borrows, which presumably is where most people are making their money now?

I'm not the best example, but my $18 total revenue is like $15.50 from KU and $2.50 from purchases.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
When I had stuff priced at $0.99, it didn't really do anything my stuff at $2.99 wasn't doing. Just my experience.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

What length was your stuff though? My concern with pricing 10,000-word stories at $2.99 is that people will feel ripped off.

By The Horns
Aug 6, 2012

When in doubt, always correct to "pounding"
I do not enjoy writing nearly enough to want to make a career out of it! I do enjoy the money though. I usually do OK with regards to motivation (again... mostly money) but there are a couple of other mundane thing holding me back at the moment. Borderlands 2 is a symptom, not the disease.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

What length was your stuff though? My concern with pricing 10,000-word stories at $2.99 is that people will feel ripped off.

If you're writing in the genre I think you are, people understand. Just mark the correct category and people can see the correct page count. If they feel ripped off, they'll just refund the book (incidentally, has anybody noticed that refunds have plummeted these past few months? I haven't been getting any at all that I've noticed). Even if they leave a lovely review that doesn't matter at all for this genre.

$2.99 is a pretty standard price point for this stuff.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Hmm...I'll wait to see what more people say. I'd heard someone in this thread who makes a lot of money was advocating $0.99 :)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'd heard that pricing the first part of a series at .99 and combining it with free promos is a good way to sell parts 2 and 3 at 2.99, but of course that only works if you have a part 2 and 3 to link to.

http://jakonrath.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/guest-post-by-selena-kitt.html?m=1

Basically it seems you do get more exposure, but less money per sale. It seems to back up the strategy of selling part 1 at .99 and the rest at 2.99, because you get the exposure, you get the new readers, and they pay full whack for 2/3 of their purchase (provided they buy all 3, which they probably will unless you gently caress up on an astronomic scale).

e: far from an expert, just offering the advice I was told. The landscape changes so much though, that post could be completely irrelevant by now.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I feel like this is a possible genre goon authors could dominate.

http://www.amazon.com/Patriots-Surviving-James-Wesley-Rawles-ebook/dp/B003ODHO8G/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=8-3&qid=1431438161

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

There are authors making an absolute killing pricing 5,000-word stories at $2.99, but as you may imagine, they aren't publishing normal romance. If you're dealing with 10,000-word eroms, $2.99 is an okay price point. I doubt that word length or price would hold up under the standards of a normal romance market, though.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

I could write the hell out of the world building but I suspect I would not hit the ideological tone expected by the reader demographic.

I've been meaning to ask: is there a way to examine keywords on a published book? Like if you are writing something that is similar to X, can you look at X's keywords to see what is appropriate?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Toaster Beef posted:

There are authors making an absolute killing pricing 5,000-word stories at $2.99, but as you may imagine, they aren't publishing normal romance. If you're dealing with 10,000-word eroms, $2.99 is an okay price point. I doubt that word length or price would hold up under the standards of a normal romance market, though.

Well, I'm writing explicit erotica, so I guess $2.99 is actually okay...

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Pricing is all part of a publishing philosophy, there are many factors to it and there are several people (like myself) making bank on 99 cents but the general "price it all at $2.99" can't hurt you too bad.

Pretend I typed three thousand words here on "holistic approach", "average royalty rate", and "visibility".

poo poo here's some more as a bonus: "cascade effect", "sales funnel"

EngineerSean fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 12, 2015

brotherly
Aug 20, 2014

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

EngineerSean posted:

Pretend I typed three thousand words here on "holistic approach", "average royalty rate", and "visibility".

poo poo here's some more as a bonus: "cascade effect", "sales funnel"

synergy?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

synergy of catalog is definitely there, that's part of holistic approach

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Keep going, I'm nearly there.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

What do you guys use for your ebook files? I've been using Direct2Digital's tool to knock my google doc writing into a formatted ebook file, then I open it in Calibre and modify the html as needed. With Calibre I'm mostly just using my custom "Also By AUTHOR NAME" page with links to other books and my "About the Author" page. I actually really like Calibre because I can modify the file to make it look exactly how I want, but I also just spent like 1.5 hours last night dicking around with HTML errors instead of writing more words.

I know that typesetting and this whole aspect of self-pub is its own skill set, and if I start getting really money I'll probably just pay someone to do it for me, but for now I'd like to use the optimal tool to learn how to do it on my own somewhat efficiently.

I'm trying to get everything clean and organized in Calibre so that when I release new books I can quickly go back to older books that are still getting downloads/buys and updating the "Also by" page to include links to the new stuff. It's still pretty tedious to update these through Calibre and then Amazon even with only three total shorts for sale; I can't imagine when I have ten or more.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I would love some info on that as well, I've been converting books using Amazon's word converter and I'm really unhappy with the process (and the results). I'd love to build a template where I take the plaintext story, add in tags for italics and bold etc and separate it into paragraphs and chapters, and then slot it into the title page and front/back matter and the css styling. I just haven't been able to find a decent resource online that I'd be happy following.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Until someone else responds, you can give this a shot: https://www.draft2digital.com/

You can use their converter and not actually publish on their site. Just do the conversion, then it lets you download the file.

The tool will carryover any italics, bold, etc., and it does some paint-by-numbers formatting method. If you have block paragraphs in GoogleDocs it converts automatically to indented paragraphs, for instance. You have to use something like Calibre afterward though if the tool makes any mistakes (don't try to use direct2digital's about the author or copyright pages, for instance).

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I don't know about Google docs in particular but I assume you can put links in the document in Google Docs and give it its own chapter heading, then Draft2Digital will add it as another chapter in the document. Also I assume you're exporting as ePub and editing that in Calibre, but you might check that you're not getting hugely inflated filesizes if you do that (since you're paying the outrageous cost of $15/gb for Amazon to deliver your book). The only times I did that (made edits in Calibre) was when I was working with multi-author bundles though, and each of those came with their own unique formatting quirks that probably added to that.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I just do it all in Word and let D2D do the rest. If you center and bold the title and then the ''Also by'' part, it'll make the TOC on it's own.

I do have a related question though: I just add a single book (cover and blurb) to the end of all my books. Should I be plugging two or have a list of links for more of my stuff?

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Scrivener. Exports to .epub, .mobi, .doc, .pdf, etc.

Scrivener is well worth the price, even if you don't buy it on sale. Best investment in my writing I ever made.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

psychopomp posted:

Scrivener. Exports to .epub, .mobi, .doc, .pdf, etc.

Scrivener is well worth the price, even if you don't buy it on sale. Best investment in my writing I ever made.

Do you make your "also by" and "about the author" etc. pages in Scrivener also? Or do you make them later with something else?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Do you make your "also by" and "about the author" etc. pages in Scrivener also? Or do you make them later with something else?

You can make those in Scrivener as well, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brotherly
Aug 20, 2014

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED
I've had good luck using D2D as well, but then I edit the epub in sigil. Seems to be working well for me, though it needs a bit of basic html knowledge I guess.