Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
This is the general discussion thread for Beneath the Blue Steel Sky game. The players are

code:
Duchess	         thatbastardken
Whiskey	         CaptainFoo
Fluffy	         Shardix
Ajar	         KPrime
Liandra	         PlatonicSolid
Please decide your Hx, and use this thread to discuss the game once it begins. Which will be in a couple of days. I'll make a new thread for it, and we can use this one for discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Liandra, the Operator

Liandra posted:

Look Woman, vintage wear, pretty face, calculating eyes, energetic body

Stats Cool+2,Hard-1,Hot+1,Sharp+2,Wierd=0

Operator Moves

Moonlighting: you get 2-juggling. Whenever there’s a stretch of
downtime in play, or between sessions, choose a number of your
gigs to work. Choose no more than your juggling. Roll+cool. On a
10+, you get profit from all the gigs you chose. On a 7–9, you get
profit from at least 1; if you chose more, you get catastrophe from
1 and profit from the rest. On a miss, catastrophe all around. The
gigs you aren’t working give you neither profit nor catastrophe.
Whenever you get a new gig, you also get +1 juggling.

Eye on the Door: name your escape route and roll+cool. On a 10+
you’re gone. On a 7–9, you can go or stay, but if you go it costs
you: leave something behind, or take something with you, the
MC will tell you what. On a miss, you’re caught vulnerable, half
in and half out.

Paying Gigs:
  • Surveillance (1-barter/deceived)
  • Brokering deals (1-barter/shut out)
  • Deliveries (1-barter/bushwhacked)

Obligation Gig:
  • Paying Debts (you keep well clear / they come due)

Crew/Contacts:
Fluffy, The Brainer
Bennioff - A mechanic who's Liandra's go-to guy for tools and parts
Randall - Older gunlugger who's got a gift with the heavy stuff. Don't let the whiskers fool you, man's deadly.

Gear:
  • 9mm (2-harm close loud)
  • Oddments worth 1-barter
  • Fashion worth +1 armor - Vintage clothes, stitched and restitched, layered with leather bits. And a very fine hat.

HX:
  • Duchess - +1
  • Fluffy - 0
  • Whiskey - +2
  • Ajar - +1

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 17, 2014

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Fluffy

Duchess: Hx+3
Whiskey: Hx+2
Ajar: Hx+3
Liandra: Hx+3

Everyone starts with Hx-1 with Fluffy. She doesn't open up to people, assuming they have any interest in finding out what's going on in her head to begin with.

She is a member of Liandra's crew, and is pretty handy in a pinch as long as it doesn't require socializing with people.

Shardix fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 13, 2014

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pre:
Whiskey, Battlebabe
Look: Woman. Showy Armor. Striking Face. Frosty Eyes. Muscular Body.
Stats: 
-Cool+3
-Hard-2
-Hot+1
-Sharp+1
-Weird+1
Moves: Dangerous & Sexy, Visions of Death
Gear:
-Custom Weapon: Sword (3-Harm Hand)
-Custom Weapon: Ornate Semiauto Handgun (2-harm close loud valuable)
-Oddments (2-barter)
-Appropriate Fashion (2-Armor)
Hx:
-Ajar +2
-Liandra +1
-Duchess =0
-Fluffy +3
Wandering. It fuckin' sucks, I tell you what. There's people that've lived there whole lives inside the gates, behind the walls. Some people, that's these walls. Some other people, other walls. I'm not one of them. They tell me it's so great, I see different things, meet new people. Yeah. Great. Wandering's what you do when there's nothing left. I'm here, now. Things have been steady enough. Worries me, though. Don't want to start wandering again.

Though I'm sure I will.

Where do I get my daily bread? I work for it, when I can. Best thing to do is work for someone who runs one of those Grub machines. That stuff kinda sucks, but it keeps you alive. Lots of times people think they own them. Like right now, Keeler and Grubber No. 7. I'll be happy to help them maintain that illusion, if they pay me. Lots of times those illusions get shattered, though. Sometimes it's my fault. Sometimes, it's Ajar's. Sometimes it isn't.

What keeps me up at night? I hate wandering, but maybe I'm afraid to stop. Maybe I'm afraid to really settle down, get engaged with a place beyond where I sleep, where I eat. Maybe that'd be boring.

What's my bug-out kit? Same as it always is - armor, gun, sword. Food if I've got it, wheels if I have them. Usually don't. And Ajar, if she'll come along. She always has before.

HX: Everyone take +1, I put myself out there, you know who I am. Fluffy, I don't trust you at all. Does anyone? I ignore what you say and write +3.

XP: |

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 16, 2014

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Duchess, the Hardholder

What do you do for your daily bread?

"I administer, hold court, rule, provide justice and protection, keep the animals in line and the caravans flowing. You better believe I run this joint."

What keeps you up at night?

"Hell, what doesn't? I got 300 pecker-heads down there who couldn't wipe their own asses if I didn't tell how. I got 60 loving murderous fuckers playing town guard until they get bored. I got every idiot within traveling distance trying to get inside my walls or up my rear end. Fog, I'm surprised I get any sleep at all."

And finally, who or what would you take if you had to bug out fast?

"If you think I'd leave this place without seeing it melted down for scrap you haven't been paying attention. Here I am, here I remain."

Character Sheet posted:

Junta Wear (Fatigues, combat boots and Beret), a Gorgeous Face with just a few scars that show, Languid eyes that never seem to give anything away and a Sensual Body, used to great effect when dealing with traders and scavengers.

Stats

• Cool+1
  • Hard+2
  • Hot+1
  • Sharp+1
  • Weird-2

HX

• Ajar +2
  • Fluffy +3
  • Liandra +0
  • Whiskey +1

Moves

• Leadership
  • Wealth

The Fortress
  • your population is large, 200-300 souls. Surplus: +1barter, 
want: +disease.
  • for gigs, a mix of hunting, crude farming, and scavenging 
(surplus: 1-barter, want: hungry).
  • for gigs, add a bustling, widely-known market commons. 
Surplus: +1barter, want: +idle.
  • your compound is tall, deep and mighty, of stone and iron. 
Your gang gets +2armor when fighting in its defense.
  • an armory of scavenged and makeshift weapons.
  • your gang is large instead of medium, 60 violent people or so. (3-harm gang large unruly 1-armor).
  • your population is filthy and unwell. Want: +disease.
  • your gang is a pack of loving hyenas. Want: savagery.

Gear: A few pieces of non-specialized gear.
Fashion worth 1 armour - Her fatigues are tough and have some metal and plastic sewn into them over vital areas.
Machete (3 harm hand messy) - a practical weapon for the Hardholder on the go.
9mm (2 harm close loud) - no frills, reliable.
Grenades (4 harm hand area reload messy) Sometimes it pays to be able to make an indisputable argument.

Duchess is by nature reserved with her trust and resources, everyone gets HX 0 with her. Liandra has been with her since before, not the deep before but long enough that I add +1 to whatever she tell me. Fluffy, you've stolen something from Duchess and she knows it, although she has no idea exactly what it was you took. I ignore whatever you tell me and get HX+3

Edit: Google doc for character: Duchess

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 15, 2014

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Dear Whiskey,

Fluffy knows everyone a little better then normal. She has Hx+2 with Whiskey. Whatever Whiskey's own thoughts or actions, Fluffy views her as a good friend. It's unlikely she would change her mind even if Whiskey kicked her rear end.

Duchess quite obviously dislikes and distrusts Fluffy. I ignore whatever you tell me and get HX+3. You caught her muttering and giggling about taking "something" one day, and you're pretty sure Fluffy didn't realize she was talking out loud. For the record, she stole an extra pair of boots from you and gave them to her daughter. They don't fit very well.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Liandra

Couple years back went out to meet an incoming caravan with...'hard to find items'. Came loaded for bear but without backup. My stupid. Caravan jacked me, yanked the payment and tried give me just a couple bullets payment. Would have been dead to rights if Ajar hadn't been coming to town. Helped me crossfire the caravan and stuffed me with gauze. Owe her big time for that.
Ajar gets Hx+2

I never expected a lot out of The Duchess. Kinds like us, guess we're destined not to be buds. Fine, she keeps to herself, I keep to mine, business keeps moving. We know our roles. Not that she doesn't gently caress with me, or at least let her people do it. Skunked more than one job staying one step ahead of her goons. Silly little tyrant. She'd miss me if I were gone.
Duchess gets Hx-1

Everybody else gets Hx+1

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Shardix posted:

Duchess quite obviously dislikes and distrusts Fluffy. I ignore whatever you tell me and get HX+3. You caught her muttering and giggling about taking "something" one day, and you're pretty sure Fluffy didn't realize she was talking out loud. For the record, she stole an extra pair of boots from you and gave them to her daughter. They don't fit very well.

:kimchi:

Platonicsolid posted:

I never expected a lot out of The Duchess. Kinds like us, guess we're destined not to be buds. Fine, she keeps to herself, I keep to mine, business keeps moving. We know our roles. Not that she doesn't gently caress with me, or at least let her people do it. Skunked more than one job staying one step ahead of her goons. Silly little tyrant. She'd miss me if I were gone.
Duchess gets Hx-1

:smith:

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Sorry ken, but the Duchess does seem the heavy, and dramatically I thought it more interesting for a frenemy relationship to evolve. I did consider setting them up as secret lovers but remembered this isn't Monster Hearts.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Haha, no problem. It's frankly pretty funny that Duchess thinks she's got a good handle on Liandra through long association, but really the opposite is true because of her iron-fisted ruling style..

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Its like, in a setting where controlling access to water is power, power is also like water. Try and hold it in your hand and it flows away. The tighter you grip it the sooner it's gone. You drink it down and you hold it for longer, but you change the nature of it and it's no good afterwards. If you don't keep a close eye on the sources of your power they might get contaminated.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Keep your friends close, enemies closer

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Liandra, you've knowingly slept in Fluffy's presence. She gets Hx+3 with you. Nothing weird about it; work has made it necessary at times to camp out in the ugly parts of the Canopy, and Fluffy is happy to take the watch.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

pre:
Ajar, Angel
Look: Woman. Utility Wear. Pretty Face. Clear Eyes. Rangy Body.
Stats: 
-Cool+1
-Hard=0
-Hot+1
-Sharp+2
-Weird-1
Moves: Battlefield grace, Touched by death
Gear:
-Angel kit
-9mm (2-harm close loud)
-Oddments (1-barter)
-Plated Jacket (1-Armor)
Whiskey's been my companion for some time now, through good and bad. She takes Hx+2

Duchess don't trust easy, but when it came to saving her guard's life she lent a hand. Hx+2

Fluffy's gonna die if they don't get their head out of the clouds and focus on keeping blood in body. Hx-1

Everyone else takes Hx+1. I got nothin' to hide.

You folk. Always dying. More'n likely half of you will die before I leave town. No point in delving too deep. People get hurt that way. I subtract 1 from all Hx told to me.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Ajar. They say cats always land on their feet, but where you're going there's really no floor. We shall see if you live up to your name and learn how to fly.

Fluffy has been watching you for some time. Hx+3.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Hey Fluffy, which of Duchess's stats is the most interesting to you?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Hey, Whiskey, you need to highlight a stat for Liandra.

Also, I'm inclined to put Ajar and Whiskey in as crew members for Li, unless you all object.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Duchess is pretty Hot, in that sultry, "I will have my lieutenant strangle you in a dark alley for displeasing me" sort of way.

Incidentally, what's the average living conditions for your citizenry like? Unless you've specifically kicked her out, Fluffy is a member of your hold and contrary to expectations, always has the rent ready.

Liandra, which of Fluffy's stats is most interesting to you?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

The average citizen is living in a (possibly subdivided) shipping container apartment or equivalent. There's electricity most of the time, clean water when the filters aren't in need of replacing, and food is available if not exactly plentiful. When things are running well it's not a bad place to live by the standards of the Scrapyard. When caravans get delayed, or some vital equipment breaks down, or a strange mood presses down on people from the Fog the veneer of civilization can fall apart pretty fast.

Fluffy is far too useful to kick out, as strange and unpredictable as she is sometimes you need to have a dude's mind changed.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fluffy, what looks interesting to you?

Rest of this comes later

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
When Fluffy gets weird, she starts talking to people who aren't there or that rabid pillar-rat waving a gun in her face loses all bowel control. When Whiskey gets weird, people die.

Fluffy says, embrace the Weird.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Liandra, when the going's tough, or ugly, or complicated, you pull through. Not gonna say always; bad luck there. But what do you do when the going gets Weird?

And Whiskey's a reliable contact, but crew? To no one.

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 14, 2014

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hey Duchess, how far is Keeler and his Grubber No. 7 from your hold?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Not far enough for my liking. Oh, he's set up just out of easy striking distance to the North, selling his slop to caravans that don't want to stock up inside Fortress. One of these days the amount he's skimming off that profit will outweigh the amount my people make back selling him real food, and then things will get interesting.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Ajar and Whiskey are in agreement: they bow to nobody.

Liandra has my tag.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

When it gets wierd

Panic? gently caress, you know, it's like riding a bear. You hold on and hope it eats somebody else. I've never had the tap into the maelstrom that strong - nothing like Fluffy. Bein' honest, kinda scares the poo poo outta me, the weird brain stuff. At the end of the day, though, you gotta do what you gotta do, and if that means peeking at whatever the horribleness of the Maelstrom is...you pull up your pants and do it.

Ajar, I know you're cool maybe too cool. Have to remember, we all need something hot in our lives.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 14, 2014

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Liandra, I'm sure you do, but it's not your call right now...you dig?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

yeah I think we're waiting blurry! to tag our other stats.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Jeez, Fluffy. You're something else. Scare the hell out of me, to be honest. Always feel you're just about to go off the rails. You need to keep cool, not just for me, for Scribble too, dig?

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
The Duchess may be Hot, but when you run a hardhold like she does, you gotta keep your eyes on everybody and everything. Those looking to pick your pockets while they stab you in the back will be doing it when someone else is shaking your hand. Keep Sharp, Duchess.

Fluffy, raising a child out in the Scrap calls not just for the lateral thinking from being weird, but more importantly, makes you Hard. There's been times where you have to look someone in the eye, and choose Scribble over them. The choice isn't hard, that's because you're hard when you make it.

Ajar, being a healer in this world full of violence, hardship and death, without losing too much of yourself, is to walk a tightrope over the abyss. You're a walking contradiction. You're hot, and you're Cool, all at the same time.

Whiskey, being out in the wasteland, working for your pay, you've seen plenty of weird stuff, and I suppose that makes you feel a bit weird too. You've learned to keep your eyes open and your wits Sharper than the sword you carry, though. Otherwise it won't see too much use. And you'll be nothing but meat.

Liandra you've got so much going on, shifting yourself to meet the needs and wants of others so you can get by. That can make a person weird as well. But underneath the shifting sands above, you got to keep your core Hard. Crystallized. So you don't lose sight of the prize.

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
Here's a networking graph to make sure I got everyone's initial working relationship right. Let me know if something's askew.

code:
               <-----------apathy<---------------<
              /                                   |
             V                                    |                        
           Duchess>------>respect                 ^                
                      \          \>----------->Liandra<------saved----<Ajar
                       \                          |                      |
                        \                      employs                   |
                         \>distrust<-             |                      |
                                     \            V                      | 
                                      \_________Fluffy<----          companions    
                                                  v        \             |
                                                trust     distrust       | 
                                                  V         ^            / 
                                                   \>--->Whiskey________/

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

That is rad

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Oh my god it's 1991 again and I love you, Blurry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
Game's up:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3643525

• Locked thread