Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

It's the start of another glorious school year at St. Raphael's Prepatory Academy. The sidewalk in front of the school is lined with leafy trees that have yet to lose their summer coloring, and the air has a light breezy quality, barely untouched by the everpresent air pollutants. In the main building, which is at least a century old, students are hard at work, absorbing knowledge into their heads as fast as pens can scratch on notebooks.(Except for those kids smart enough to sneak in their smartphones. Most of those are busily playing Candy Crush) We focus our attention on the westmost wing of this building, the third floor to be exact. Officially, this corridor is termed the "Academic and Extracurricular Excellence Hall", but when the bathrooms are labeled 'Oedipus' and 'Electra', and room names like "Jung", "Maslow", and "Zimbardo", most students call this hall "The Nuthouse"

We focus even moreso, on the room titled "Jung". Inside, the walls are covered up by bookshelves full to bursting, and instead of the standard desks, a variety of chairs fill the room, from a beanbag all the way to an executive office chair. Several students are scattered across the room, all paying attention to a woman dressed in the most eyepoppingly colorful dress any of them had seen. We can hear the tail end of her speech " ...and that's how I ended up nearly destroying and saving CERN this summer." She lets out a little chuckle. "Oh my! I've been talking for nearly ten minutes, and I forgot to introduce myself! I'm Ms. Hamer, and I'm your 'Indepent Studies in Philosophy' coordinator! In other words, I'm here to teach you about Persona!" A huge, sincere grin is spread over her face. "Now, as it's the start of the term, why don't you all introduce yourselves, so we can start becoming friends that much faster!" Ms. Hamer points to the student closest to the windows. "Let's start with you!"

Alright, let's get this thing started! Do your introductory posts, and we'll proceed from there.:D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A young girl with dyed hair, torn clothes, and a little bit of face paint, speaks up in a smooth Irish brogue that betrays the roughness of her appearance and words.

"Aye, th' name's Aisling Tierney. People call me Ash. All you gotta know about me 's that you don't gently caress with me and that I do what I want, got it?"

She snorts and turns her head out the window, fiddling with the electric guitar in her lap.

quote:

Aisling "Ash" Tierney

Concept Aspect: Punk From The Isle Of Eire

Good Mode: Punk Rock (Burglary, Combat, Contacts, Provoke, Rapport)
Fair Mode: Action (Athletics, Combat, Notice, Physique, Provoke, Vehicles)
Average Mode: Persona (Combat, Empathy, Notice, Will)

+5: Combat
+4: Athletics, Provoke
+3: Burglary, Contacts, Notice, Physique, Rapport
+2: Vehicles, Will
+1: Empathy

Good Aspect: Anarchy In St. Raphael's
Fair Aspect: Blitzkrieg Bop
Average Aspect: Magician Arcana
Omega Aspect: I Wanna Be Your Girlfriend

Stunts and Megastunts:

Signature Aspect: Anarchy in St. Raphael's

Punk's Not Dead: Use Provoke to defend against mental attacks.

Scathach the Guitar: Weapon:2, +1 to Provoke when shredding some sweet licks.

Let's Jam For A Bit: Can use Rapport in place of Empathy when music is playing.

Physical Stress: OOOO
Mental Stress: OOO

Persona: Cait Sith

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 21, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

A young man with a winged pin on his shirt, a head of well-pushed-down hair and a manic grin spends most of Ms. Hamer's introduction to CERN staring at the cloud formations out the window. Hey, that one looks like a satellite...and those look like an Eagle and a Flanker! Pew pew, fwoosh, fox two~ Oh, wait, she's looking at me now, right!

"Hey there!" he exclaims cheerfully as he stands up from his well-cushioned seat. "My name's Charlie Turul...well, that's what my parents named me. I prefer Chuck. Y'know, like Yeager! Fwoosh! Bang!" He holds his hand up with the thumb and pinkie spread out like wings and imitates a plane breaking the sound barrier.

Davin Valkri posted:

High Concept: The Boy who Stares at Bombers
Sample Invoke: Be bizarrely knowledgeable about esoteric military trivia; stand up to loud noises
Sample Compel: Be distracted by the "majesty" of flight or similar

+3 Friendly Pilot: Got My Pilot's License Before My Driver's License (Contacts, Notice, Vehicles, Will, Rapport Milsperg--6 pts)
Sample Invoke: Getting a bird's eye view, being good with heights
Sample Compel: Getting lost at ground level, I can fly and you can't!

*+2 Persona: VIII, Strength, Upright* (Notice, Will, Athletics, Physique, Combat, Occult--8 pts)
Sample Invoke: Maintain composure and calm in a tense situation
Sample Compel: Suppressed emotions, or inverted: emotions flying out

+1 Action: Military Brat (Athletics, Combat, Notice, Physique, Provoke, Vehicles--9pts)
Sample Invoke: Take a natural leadership role
Sample Compel: The world is not a giant base, homesickness of a weirder sort

Omega: The Dominion of the Clouds
Sample Invoke: Have a bizarre flash of insight from an odd line of reasoning
Sample Compel: Have absolutely nobody follow your thoughts

Milsperg: Custom skill reflecting growing up in a military environment, and the details so derived. Treat as a Science skill for military history or technology that would be available to a minor.
Specialized: Provoke (3 pts), Athletics (2 pts)
Focused: Milsperg, Augury (Occult subskill)

+5: Notice,
+4: Will, Vehicles, Milsperg, Athletics
+3: Contacts, Physique, Combat, Rapport, Provoke, Augury
+2: All Other Occult

Birdsong of Soaring (Mega Stunt, 2 benefits): Once per scene, spend an FP to instantly travel to any place in sight. You leave a trail of feathers as a sign of your passing. Additionally, you are absolutely more acrobatic and "spatially aware" than the average human (Athletics), but at a cost.

Ten-hut!: The free invokes on Boosts and Aspects that you create are worth +3 if anybody except you invokes them.

Signature Aspect: VIII, Strength, Upright
At least one more

Phys OOOO
Ment OOO

Persona: Roc

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

A very young man, almost a child, has been sitting on an oversized office chair that makes him look even smaller than he is. He has remained hyperfocused on his instructor through the length of her tale, his elbows resting on the armrests and propping up his chin.

When she gets to the end, he jerks as if startled out of a reverie. "Um, hi!" he says as he levers himself out of the enormous chair. "I'm Chris Tarn, and my Persona is King Solomon. I'm looking forward to working with you all!" He looked around quickly for everyone's reactions, and then hopped back into the office chair.

Zemyla posted:

Concept Aspect: A Tiny, Tiny Grade-Skipping Genius
Omega Aspect: Big Dorky Glasses

Good (+3) Mode: Occult (Notice, Will, occult skills) [3]
Occult Aspect: Who Needs Sleep, There’s Research to Do!

Fair (+2) Mode: Banter (Contacts, Deceive, Empathy, Provoke, Rapport, Will) [9]
Banter Aspect: He Acts Like An Adult, It’s Cute!

Average (+1) Mode: Persona (Athletics, Combat, Contacts, Rapport, Will) [7]
Persona Aspect: Hierophant Arcana

+5: Will, Kaballah
+4: Rapport, Notice
+3: Combat, Contacts, Empathy, other occult and science skills
+2: Athletics, Deceive, Provoke
+1:

Specialize a trained skill (Combat) [3]
Specialize a trained skill (Kaballah) [3]
Specialize a focused skill (Rapport) [2]
Focus a trained skill (Empathy) [1]
Focus a trained skill (Athletics) [1]
Focus a trained skill (Notice) [1]

Stress:
Physical: OO
Mental: OOOOO

Stunts:
Solomon’s Key: Chris may spend a Fate Point and call forth the power of one of 72 bound demons. When he does so, he picks a skill. For the rest of the scene, he may use Kaballah instead of that skill. This has a cost.

Mystic Cross-Training: When Chris uses a science skill, he gets a +1 to his next occult skill roll. When Chris uses an occult skill, he gets a +1 to his next science skill roll.

Thousand Eyes, Thousand Whispers: Angels and demons constantly whisper information into Chris’s ears. This allows him to use the Contacts skill even when he would have no normal access to contacts.
Persona: King Solomon

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

There's a moment of silence after Chris finishes. The next student, an upperclass girl with short dark hair and pale skin, wearing a black hoody, finally stands up. She has a neutral expression on her face. Not bored, not intentionally hiding, just without any particular emotion. She doesn't bother meeting anyone's gaze, her soft grey eyes scanning across the room slowly. After a moment, she finally speaks in a soft voice without affect.

"Alita Kovacs." She stands quietly for a moment, blinks, then sits back down.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Alita Kovacs

Concept: Synthetic Savant With a Soul
Gearhead: Machine Empathy
Persona: XX. Aeon
Gynoid: I Prefer the Term "Artificial Person" Myself
Omega: 「...」

Skills:
pre:
		Gearhead (+3)		Persona (+2)		Gynoid (+1)
Superb (+5)	Artificer, Vehicles
Great (+4)	Notice, Will		Combat
Good (+3)	Contacts		Athletics, Physique	
Fair (+2)				
Average (+1)							Empathy, Rapport
Gearhead Mode: Contacts, Mechanic, Notice, Vehicles, Will.
Persona Mode: Athletics, Combat, Mechanic, Physique, Vehicles, Will.
Gynoid Mode: Athletics, Empathy, Notice, Physique, Rapport.
Artificer Skill: Create advantage physical (make things), overcome physical (fix things), overcome physical (break things).
Improvements: Specialized Artificer, Combat, Vehicles.

Stunts:

Forge of the Gods: +2 to Artificer when creating a Ritual. If one of the Ritual’s catches is serious time, you may add one more benefit for free (without a catch) as long as the Ritual is manifested in the form of a device or artifact.

Protean Mechanic: When you create an advantage with Artificer by creating, fixing, or modding a device and give it to someone else, as long as the aspect you create is still in place you can spend a Fate point to invoke it on their behalf, even if you are not present at the same location.

Racer X: Absolutely better at driving (Vehicles) than a normal human, but at a cost. +2 to Vehicles to create advantages when speed matters.

Synthetic Body: Armor: 2. Absolutely better at enduring physical exertion and biological hazards (Physique) than a normal human, but at a cost.

(Total benefits: 6 - 5 = 1 fate points to the GM’s reserve.)

Stress
Physical OOO
Mental OOOO

Persona: Hadúr

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 21, 2014

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Mio is leaning against a wall in the back, arms folded, trying to look cool. She's adapted a school uniform into a sort of ninja outfit with a hakama and a dramatic scarf she can pull over her mouth if she wants. Usually, she wants to do that for about five minutes a day. So far, it's been ten.

Mio finally pulls the scarf down, steps forward and puts her hands on her hips.

"O-KAY! Listen up, because I'm only gonna tell you once! I am Shadow☆Nova, the great ninja! Around civilians, you can call me Mio! Try not to feel bad about living in my shadow and I'll try to teach you a thing or two!"

Mio's arm snaps out with a blur into... a thumbs up.

Ettin posted:

Mio Maboroshi SHADOW☆NOVA!

Aspects:
Concept: Loudmouth With A Hero Complex
"Ninja": Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Persona: Star(ring Mio!)
Intrigue: Fortune Favors The Bold!
Omega: Shadow☆Nova, Protector Of The Innocent!

Modes:
Good Mode: "Ninja" (Athletics, Combat, Physique, Provoke, Stealth, Will) - 9
Fair Mode: Persona (Burglary, Contacts, Deceive, Notice, Will, Ninja Magic) - 7
Average Mode: Intrigue (Athletics, Burglary, Contacts, Deceive, Notice, Stealth) - 9
Weird Skill: Ninja Magic: Create advantage physical/mental, overcome physical
Improvements: Focused Ninja Magic and Provoke, 3 points left

Skills:
+4: Athletics! Provoke! Stealth! Will!
+3: Burglary! Combat! Contacts! Deceive! Ninja Magic! Notice! Physique!

Stunts:
BUT IT WAS I!: As long as she's not being directly observed and there's a reasonable way to leave, Mio can disappear from a scene. Spend a fate point later (in the same scene or a subsequent one) to reveal that she was disguised as a faceless NPC this entire time, or to appear in an unobserved spot if she announces her presence immediately.

Chuunibyou Hero: Mio is a cool friend, and can use Will to create an advantage in social situations if she can make it about her heroic antics somehow.

Life As An Anime Gal: Shadow☆Nova gets +2 to creating advantages with Ninja Magic when she yells the name of her technique as loud as she can.

Running From My True Self Shunpo!: Absolutely faster than a normal human, but at a cost (like not shutting up).

Subtlety: +2 to overcoming with Stealth when sneaking up on someone.

Persona: Sōjōbō

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Hiii~ii!"

From the crater of silence (and shadows), to the peak of a painfully high-pitched voice. A pinkheaded young lady practically leaps off her seat, and takes a 360 spin around to wave towards everyone in the room. There's a short, preppy J-pop tune that plays from what is most definitely the smartphone in her pocket.

"I'm Elodie! I live just right here in Manhattan. Let's see, I'm sixteen years old and an Aries. I love skating, I love art, a bit of hip-hop." She says, listing off each of her interests with her fingers. "Also saving the world, 'cause I'm a magical girl, see? But it's kinda secret, but you guys are so cool, so just keep it between us, okay? Anyway, I'm totally glad we're all gonna kick some bad guy buts together, so let's all be friends, alright?"

Elodie takes a deep breath, and bows. She smiles so bright that she sparkles.

TurninTrix posted:

Elodie Cain / AI NO SUKETA, AERIAL IDOL ELODIE

· Aspects ·

Concept: Magical Skater Girl
Magical Girl: Understand, Understand, The Concept Of Love♥
Action: Wall-Tagging, Friend-Making Vigilante
Persona: In Too Deep And Overwhelmed
Omega: Serious Napoleon Complex

· Modes ·

Good (+3) Mode: Magical Girl (Athletics, Contacts, Empathy, Graffiti Magic, Notice, Rapport, Will) (10)
Fair (+2) Mode: Action (Athletics, Combat, Notice, Physique, Provoke, Vehicles) (9)
Average (+1) Mode: Persona (Combat, Empathy, Notice, Physique, Will) (8)

· Skills ·

+5 Notice, Rapport
+4 Athletics, Empathy, Will
+3 Combat, Contacts, Graffiti Magic, Physique
+2 Provoke, Vehicles

Graffiti Magic (Overcome, Create Advantage): Tag objects with special markers that only the magical-inclined can see, useful for leaving secret messages, building up symbols for a ritual, or highlighting monsters for persona-users miles away to blast apart. Also contributes to an understanding of magic runes.

· Stunts/Mega-Stunts ·

Skater of Love♥ (2 benefits): Absolutely cuter than a normal human (Rapport) while doing her magical girl thing, but weak to pretty much anything sweet. At the start of any conflict, Elodie can choose to forfeit her initial turn in order to make a speech about love and justice and place a situation aspect with two free invokes.

These Aerials & Varials: With enough air or momentum, Elodie can use Athletics to come close to flying or to a wall-ride. She avoids physical obstacles while doing so.

Heartfelt Friendship Speech (2 benefits): Use Rapport in place of a normal attack with the intent of convincing her enemies to stop being evil and/or jerks. In addition, she can spend a fate point before her Rapport roll to apply her full attack to every target in a single zone within shouting distance.

The Most Important Part Of Dance Is Music: While acting in rhythm with Elodie during a coordinated action, her friends can invoke any situation aspects she makes with a +3 instead of a +2.

No Big, Just Doing My Job: When using Contacts to create an advantage (reaching out to people she's saved before), Elodie can exchange a free invocation for an additional aspect. For example, on a success she could choose to get two aspects with no free invocations, and on a success with style she could choose to get two aspects and one free invocation or three aspects without any free invocations.

(Total benefits: 7 - 5 = 2 fate points to the GM’s reserve.)

· Stress ·
Physical OOO
Mental OOOO

· Persona ·

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

That entrance was almost as cool as hers!

Mio appears next to Elodie and puts an arm around her.

"Elodie! I've decided that you can be... my sidekick! If you work hard enough, perhaps we can be rivals!"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

"Wait, we're getting graded on this?!" Chuck cocks his head towards Mio/Shadow*Nova. "Aw, man, I should've come in on the Roc. It's hard to beat your own private flyer for an entrance!"

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

"Something's confusing me, though, Shadow*Nova," Chris puts in, rotating the chair towards her. She can tell he's not quite saying her name right.

"You said we'd be in your shadow, but if you're a ninja like you say, shouldn't you be in our shadows instead?"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Hey, aren't ninjas masters of all the shadows, anyway?" Elodie asks Tarn. "I don't think you're up for debating with one."

She turns back to SuperMcCoolName Shadow☆Nova and her eyes light up!

"So, does that mean you wanna hang out?!" She says, already nodding as if it is true. First day in St. Raphael, and she already has a new friend! "Wow, I don't think I've ever been a sidekick before. I always felt like main character material myself, but they say doing supporting roles helps build up your resume or something. Plus, I can totally show around places in the city if you like. Like all the shadowy back alleys and the rooftops you can jump over, since that seems your thing plus I don't think we have a ninja dojo around here..."

It doesn't occur to her that there's still one more who needs to introduce herself...

Mitama fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jul 21, 2014

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

At the back, a white-robed girl waits until an opportune moment.

In the brief gap where Elodie stops to breathe, she speaks, overriding the conversation without raising her voice. In her right hand, she idly swirls a pair of yin-yang patterned Baoding balls.

"Hey. I am..."

Her sleeves drop to reveal their length. The outfit is ridiculous and impractical at best for school work, but she wears it with a carelessness that implies she's already done the getting-ink-on-the-sleeves and tripping-over-her-own-feet elsewhere.

"Adora Muqi~! And I am here to lead this class to enlightenment~!"

She pauses. Waits just a moment. Then doubles up laughing. "Oh man, your faces for a second there. Seriously, I'm Adora. And enlightenment is for-" she faux gags- "Buddhists."

K Prime posted:

Adora Muqi
Concept: Hierophant Green and Purple
Occult: The Most High is Most High
Persona: Way of Infinite Harmony
Banter: Just Try Some, C'mon
Omega: Seeking the Xian Dao

Good Mode: Occult (Notice, Will, all occult stuff) - 3
Fair Mode: Persona (Empathy, Notice, Will, Physique, Immortality) - 9
Average Mode: Banter (Contacts, Deceive, Empathy, Provoke, Rapport, Will) - 9

Skills:
+5: Divination, Will
+4: Notice, Empathy, Immortality
+3: All Other Occult Stuff
+2: Physique, Provoke, Rapport
+1: Contacts

Weird Skill: Immortality - Defend physical/mental, create advantage physical/mental, overcome physical

Stunts:

Jade Emperor's Favor: Adora may use Divination to predict a favorable outcome for another character (create aspect.) This favorable outcome must occur if the roll is a success, though the exact nature of it may vary.

Ma Gu's Protection: As long as she is high and her persona is out, Adora is Bulletproof against spiritual attacks.

Buds of Immortality: Adora may use Immortality to heal physical consequences, both herself and others. (We'll have to talk exactly what she has to roll to do this)

Piece of 8 Immortals: The 8 Immortals put their power in 8 Tools. Adora managed to obtain one.
Sword of Lu Dongbin
Function: Ghostbuster
Flaw: Can't Cut Anything Else
You Don't Belong In This World: Grants Weapon:4 against Evil Spirits (Must be a spirit: evil can be wiggled a little. Attacking a Daoist hermit is evil.)
Scary to Monsters: The spiritual power of the blade frightens anything capable of sensing it when drawn, short of gods. Drawing the blade places aspect Overwhelming Pressure on spiritually sensitive entities nearby.

Persona: Ma Gu, Hemp Maiden (Hierophant)

Ma Gu. Protector of women. Bearer of the gift of immortality.
Symbol of getting dank as hell.

The Hemp Maiden is the goddess charged with delivering enlightenment and immortality, and protecting women. According the Way of Infinite Harmony sect, she mostly does this through giving people the most perfect highs known to man and gods. She's agreeable, helpful, kind, and generous... but don't try to hurt women or disrespect the THC near her. She can get real tetchy about that. And that's when the sucker in question suddenly remembers, for all her kindness, she's still a goddess...

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Mio is already gushing over the new girl.

"Adora, huh?" she asks with a sparkle in her voice that implies Adora is going to hear all the jokes she has already heard a hundred times. "That's so cool!"

"And I make my own shadow," she adds to Chris. "Also it's ShadowNova!"

"is your middle name belle"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

"I don't have a middle name. Those are for white people." She pauses. "And black people. And some brownish type people? Whatever, point is WAIT YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Elodie couldn't believe how cool everyone in her class is!

"Ohmigosh, where do you get clothes like that?"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

"You learn how to sew."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

As the other students talk amongst themselves, Aisling keeps sneering out the window. She couldn't believe she was stuck with this gaggle of idiots for the year. She gives another small snort as she plucks on one of Scathach's strings.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

For some reason, of all the things to catch someone's attention, it's the mention of sewing that makes Alita turn to the talkative group of girls. "Can you show me?" She pauses, then adds, "How to sew, I mean."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Oh, that so awesome, you can make whole clothes! I just know to patch things up when I get into a scrape, first aid for skater clothes. My mom tells me I look like a mess 'cause I just patch holes with whatever, but everyone else thinks I look super badass. Hey, I had a design for a magical girl outfit in my scrapbook, but I haven't found anyone who can make it real, maybe you could-"

Elodie realizes that the quiet girl can also talk. "Hi, there!"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

"I'll be happy to add a sewing demonstration into my afterschool club, which by the way you should totally come to~" says Adora. "We have plenty of interesting and totally legal activities. Let me get my flyers."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Edit: Blarg

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 21, 2014

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

"That actually sounds fun." Chris says. "I mean, I've read about how to sew, but I've never actually done it. And I'm not in any afterschool clubs yet, so I figure joining yours would make things simple."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"You mean, like, canvas and silk and stuff?" Chuck finally jumps into the conversation after being distracted by another cloud that looked like a biplane. "Oh man, you gotta show me how to do it! There's, like, a Wright Flyer at the museum that's like this close to airworthy and it'd be so cool if I could help get it flying again!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"Yeah, sewin' sounds real freakin' fun. Sorry, I got my own poo poo to do, and it's not dumb. I gotta find myself a band here, anyway."

Aisling has only turned her head to the side, not directly acknowledging the others' presence.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Chris turned to Ash, looking a bit exasperated, and said, "It's not the sewing itself that's fun. It's, like," he tapped his finger on his chin for a bit as he thought.

"You're envisioning something, and then with effort you create it. You're changing something from a dream to reality. I'm sure you feel the same thing whenever you actually perform a song. It's the closest thing most people will get to magic."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"Ah, come on, Ash, don't be like that!" Chuck exclaims good naturedly. "Who knows, maybe once you learn this you get to design your band's shirts when you go big time?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Alita nods to Elodie. "Hello." There's an awkward pause, then she realizes she should say something else. "I like making things." And that's about it for now.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

"I make my own outfits and my own soap," Mio says proudly.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Alita looks at Shadow☆Nova, leans in, sniffs, then leans back and nods.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Aisling glares at Chris silently for a few seconds.

"Neeeeeeeerd."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"I make art!" Elodie says, not to be outdone by her friends. "Uh, murals and stuff. With spraypaint. Sometimes glitter, so they're pretty and colorful. I do them mostly down in the subways and skate parks but no one ever looks there so I'm not doing anything illegal, Ms. Hamer, I swear."

A cough.

"Like ohmigosh, we're all already bonding and stuff."

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Ms. Hamer can't help but jump up and down with glee. "I am so excited to see my precious charges bonding!", she gushes. And, swirling around in her dress, she adds "And, guess who is the faculty advisor for the Fashion and Design Club? Come check out our booth at the Activity Fair next week!" A wave seems to come over her, as if realizing something. "I should actually lecture, shouldn't I? What would you rather hear about first, your power, or your duty?"

Voice your opinions, students! :)

FewtureMD fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 23, 2014

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

"I don't really do duty. Let's hear about power."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"Hmm...they wouldn't even let me sit on the plane until I passed a safety test. Let's do duty first, THEN the power! I hope it's the kind you measure in horses!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"Listen, Teach. I'm here to bash some heads in. Tell me about this drat power."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Alita shrugs slightly. "You're going to tell us both anyways."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"I already know what I have to do!" Elodie declares. "But not everyone else does. I wanna say duty!"

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

"I run around and be awesome, you guys back me up. There! Okay, now what's our power?"

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

"I've already done some experimentation with my power, but I still don't know why I have it yet. I'd like to hear about our duty."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Ms. Hamer turns and places a hand on the blackboard. "Well, seeing as things are tied up, I'll use one to explain the other! You all have experienced things others couldn't comprehend, and done things that seem fantastical. The power that allows you all to do these things, we call Persona" Her face screws up with concentration, and she mutters a word. "Saraswati" With that, all the various chalk diagrams begin swirling around, forming swirling rainbow-colored mandalas. "A Persona is the expression of your inner self, the truest window into your soul. With it, you can perform wondrous feats, what most would call 'magic'. I've read your student files, so I have a grasp of what most of you are capable of, but one aspect of your powers has most likely not been explained." The mandalas seperate into a diagram of a globe divided into halves by a line. One side is normal-Earth colored, and the other is a riot of colors and shapes.

"The world is much greater than you realize. The physical world is buoyed on a sea of what could charitably be called 'formless metaphysical chaos'. The two meet at a place termed 'The Dreamlands', where the rigid structure of reality meets the boundless possibility of chaos. The minds of humanity wander the Dreamlands when they sleep, recharging and gaining inspiration. This is what allows us to innovate and make things. It's what allows us to be great. But if the barrier based in the Dreamlands was ever to fall, everything you know would be plunged into the chaos." The globe dissolves into a mess of scribbles and lines.

The teacher steps away from the board, and fixes the class with a steely gaze, her jokey demeanor evaporated like fog in the morning sun. "Your charge as Persona-wielders is nothing less than the protection of humanity as a whole. We at St. Raphael's will do our best to train you to the utmost of your abilities, and we hope you will make us proud." The bell rings, and just as suddenly as the serious mood descended on Ms. Hamer, a smile breaks out on her face. "I know, it's been a fairly intense class, and you all need some time to process everything. Luckily it's lunchtime, and I think it's Sloppy Joes today! Go enjoy yourselves students, and I'll be seeing you all tomorrow. Au revoir!"

• Locked thread