Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Good evening and morning as they apply to you, folks. I have received all night actions and the game will reopen in an hour. Thank you for your patience, see you soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Day breaks and reveals another broken body.

You find chaoslord in a pool of blood in a kitchen on the second floor. There are various bits of paraphernalia and equipment spread out in his workspace that suggest he was a special kind of lowlife, but drat if he wasn’t your lowlife.

Ralph “The Narquis de Sade” Steadman, Town-Aligned Narco-Alchemist died night four!

Role Info:

You are an Inventor with the following items that you can grant to other players. Any of the items your targets use will cause your target’s action to fail on the following night. Or you can choose to spend a night refining your mixture to prevent this effect.

If you ##refine [item], the item you give out will have no ill effects!

Otherwise, you may ##grant [item]
Serpent on the Pole - This is a one-use protection action that will prevent one kill.
Mars Dust - If the player activates this power, they will kill any players who target them during the night.
Venus Roof - This will block the action of the targeted player.
Saturn’s Horse - This will grant the player a single-use investigation action, but they will die the following night.

The air feels hot and heavy, and not just from the humidity. There’s something potent sitting in the air, you all can feel it even if you dare not mention it. Whatever it is, you can tell, it’s waiting.

And watching.

Day Five Begins!

Votecount for Day 5

Not Voting (5): Asiina, busb, fiery_valkyrie, Savahontas, Strong Mouse

With 5 alive, it's 3 votes to lynch. The current deadline is August 29th, 2014 at 10 p.m. CDT -- that's in about 1 day.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
If there's a hammer or anything please don't post after.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

:ghost:First time I've ever been night killed. Go town.:ghost:

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
I got the Saturns Horse N3. I assume a refined version because my PM didn't say there were any side effects, not that it matters now, given my result.

I used it to cop busb and got a mafia result.

##vote busb

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
##vote fiery_valkyrie

Game's up chump! If you had a one-shot roleblock why on earth wouldn't you save it for me?

Investigated fiery, mafia result.

Just up to you guys whether you believe my breadcrumbs etc.

The fact fiery firstposted to eliminate any potential investigation tonight is quite damning.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
I'm guessing fiery was actually given the inventor's 1shot roleblock which she used on Savahontas last night.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
I posted first because I expected you to come in and frame me, just like you're doing now.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

busb posted:

I'm guessing fiery was actually given the inventor's 1shot roleblock which she used on Savahontas last night.

Sav was role blocked last night? Are you just making stuff up.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

busb posted:

Plus if you believe I role blocked Sav, then you also believe I'm not doing NK's.

You need to get your story straight.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I got the Saturns Horse N3.

Somberbrero posted:

Day Five Begins!

So what was so important Night 4 that you didn't use a 1 shot cop investigation with no downsides on a dude you were tunneling all game long?

The answer: roleblocking savahontas.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Plus if you believe I role blocked Sav, then you also believe I'm not doing NK's.

You need to get your story straight.

The last scum can often perform actions as well as NKs it depends on the mod.

Anyway there's no real point us arguing. Killing Foo was a mistake, you should have killed chaoslord then imo.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

busb posted:

So what was so important Night 4 that you didn't use a 1 shot cop investigation with no downsides on a dude you were tunneling all game long?

The answer: roleblocking savahontas.

N4 was last night. I used it on you.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Sav was role blocked last night? Are you just making stuff up.

The previous night, so night 4.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Oh right yeah i'm tired and wrong. :shobon:

still not wrong about me being the cop and you're scum though! :angel:

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

busb posted:

The previous night, so night 4.

Dude, you have your days mixed up. Sav claimed she was role blocked during D4, ie it happened N3.

I got the item N3. I didn't get an opportunity to use it until N4, ie the night that literally just ended.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

busb posted:

Oh right yeah i'm tired and wrong. :shobon:

still not wrong about me being the cop and you're scum though! :angel:

quote:

2) Alignment is randomized in regards to role. A scum can be Cop and a Town can be a Godfather, etc.

That's your game, set, match is it?

I have a mafia result on you.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Well yes, i'm banking on the fact i claimed early, with a potentially verifiable result with all the caveats to my role.

What's your plan if i get lynched and flip town into lylo? just argue that it was a bad invention?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I don't have a "plan". I just gave the results I received.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I posted first because I expected you to come in and frame me, just like you're doing now.

Why did you expect me to come in and frame you?

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
So we have 2 things to do (what I am doing)

I am going to follow busb yelling scum against fv. If fv turns out to be town, then there are enough people to jump on busb.

This seems like the strategy that gives town the best chance of winning.

##vote fv fv is at -1

Savahontas
Jun 13, 2005

I say..
Yea buddy!
Rolling like a big shot,
Chevy tuned up like a Nascar pitstop
I suspect something very strange is going on here.

But in the absence of anything but gut feeling - I'm afraid it's come to this. Ironic since I got you into this mess in the first place!

##kill busb

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
As valkyrie and busb argue back and forth, Savahontas sits back on a milk crate, looking at the floor. When both of them finish speaking, she stands up and starts clapping before talking.

“Well, I hear what you’re both saying. Lotta great points, good show, the truth lies somewhere in the middle, etc.”

She cracks her knuckles in front of her.

“However, I’ve been locked in a nasty old warehouse without a functioning coffee maker for five days now, and I’m not going to take a chance on making it six.”

She sighs, and looks to her old friend busb. “Ah, man, why did it have to be this way? Time to cash out, buddy.” busb says nothing, shocked and confused by the betrayal. Savahontas closes her eyes, and takes a quarter from her pocket. Without looking, she flips it into the air. It rockets up to the ceiling of the building, gently touches a ceiling beam, and then descends perfectly onto Savahontas’ outstretched palm. She smacks it onto the back of her other hand and whispers “Heads.”

The beam above up above creaks and groans before crashing down on top of busb in a horrible crescendo, punctuated by a brief and wet scream. busb stretches for his hand from beneath it, as if supplicating Savahontas for a mercy that will never be granted, before his hand falls limp against the floor.

The doors stay locked.

busb, Dusty “Emperor” Norton, Town-Aligned Urbanomancer was killed day five!

Role Info:

If you are the first person to post in the thread after it opens, you can use any one of the following powers the following night.

An alignment investigation action. This action conveys whether your target is mafia or not-mafia. ##investigate
A protection action. This action blocks a single night kill directed at your target. You may not target yourself with this action. ##protect
A roleblocking action. This action prevents your target from taking any targeted actions during the night.##block

The day continues. Votes are reset.

Votecount for Day 5

Not Voting (4): Asiina, fiery_valkyrie, Savahontas, Strong Mouse

With 4 alive, it's 3 votes to lynch. The current deadline is August 29th, 2014 at 10 p.m. CDT -- that's in about 8 hours, 45 minutes.

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 29, 2014

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
No I am more sure of my vote for fv since we know that busb was town

##vote fv

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
Also, I am going to put my roll out there.

I am the mason recruiter

Savahontas
Jun 13, 2005

I say..
Yea buddy!
Rolling like a big shot,
Chevy tuned up like a Nascar pitstop
SORRY BUSB I LOVE YOU FOREVER

##vote fiery_valkyrie

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
So, unless fv wants to vote for herself, we are going to have to wait until asiina is able to check in. Hopefully it is before the deadline.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Damnit I wish I was here I have information. How much time do we have I'll be able to talk in a while.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 5

fiery_valkyrie (2): Strong Mouse, Savahontas

Not Voting (2): Asiina, fiery_valkyrie

With 4 alive, it's 3 votes to lynch. The current deadline is August 29th, 2014 at 10 p.m. CDT -- that's in about 7 hours.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Okay cool post within the hour

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Okay it turns out my information isn't that useful. Still the answer is obvious.

##vote fv

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
With busb dead, the few survivors turn on valkyrie. “You set us up! You’re going down!”

“No, no!” Valkyrie pleads. “You have to believe me, I was only doing what I thought was right! The New Inquisition thinks that something really bad is going to happen here! I was only following… Oh, forget it, you’re not listening anyway.” She sighs and produces a knife from behind back. Her eyes are bloodshot and it looks like the past few days have aged her by years.

“Thanks for killing the street rat,” she taunts, “About time someone took out the garbage.”

The rest of you grab whatever you can that looks dangerous as fast as you can, and then a stillness settles over the room as you wait for someone to make the first move.

Valkyrie narrows her eyes and spits on the ground. “Go on then,” she growls, “Come at me, if you think you’re hard enough.”

fiery_valkyrie, Dana “Cobwebs” Monte, Mafia-Aligned Cliomancer was lynched day five!

Role Info:

If you are the first person to post in the thread after it opens, you can use one of the following powers the following night.

A roleblocking action. This prevents a player from taking any actions. ##block player
A role investigation action. This action conveys all mechanical information about a player’s role. ##rolecop
A single-shot bulletproof ability. This ability negates one kill targeted against you. ##bulletproof. This action is passive and cannot be roleblocked. This power will not protect you against multiple nightkills.

Shielding their eyes from the sun, three people walk out of the warehouse. Strong Mouse is bleeding badly from his side, but Asiina and Savahontas are on either side of him and they all walk together. The fresh air tastes so good they think they might all cry for a second. Together they find their way to Savahontas’ van, and soon enough sight of the warehouse vanishes from the rearview mirror. Although no one says it, each of them is thinking of the last words Valkyrie got out right before she died.

“...Hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light, Nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain; And we are here as on a darkling plain… It’s coming.”

Six days later, it happened. Every mage, adept, or freak in the city died. Some went in their sleep, some in aneurysms, some ran their car off a bridge. The three of you can’t explain why, but you sensed it coming and got out before it hit. Those in the Underground called it worse than what happened back in New York. There are dozens, if not hundreds of conspiracy theories.

Some say a splinter cell from Mak Attax pulled off a massive ritual called the Major Bummer. Some say it was karmic backlash from the Safe and Happy New Year.

Some say The Sleepers had been planning this for years. They pulled everyone to the city using some kind of special pheromone that only the magically attuned could sense.

Some say this was an ascension for an avatar of death. After all, exactly 333 people died.

But, somehow everyone agrees on one thing. The New Inquisition was trying to stop it, and they failed.

Strong Mouse, Asiina, Savahontas, and all town players have won the game!

Asiina, Gena "Stray-Dog" Serina, returned to her work fostering children. Her home flourished and grew over the years, aided by her sudden and unexpected success as a country music star, with such hits like “He’s Just a Mutt(But I Love Him)” and “Sometimes Say Never.” She died many years later surrounded by generations of the children she had worked so hard to protect. A statue of her was erected in the nearby park, next to the playground.

Strong Mouse, Rebecca “Pulitzer” Strasinski, spent years researching and working on a detailed description of the events that transpired around the “Major Bummer” event. During the course of her reporting, she grew to be a powerful avatar, and doubtless would have been a contender for Godwalker status if not for The Sleepers hampering her every movement. The tome was eventually completed and currently rests beneath the floorboards of her old apartment, where she was forced to abandon it. Rebecca's whereabouts are unknown.

Savahontas, Danny “Shylock” Grimes,” decided that life was too short to play it safe after his scare in the warehouse and made a series of risky investments. He lost all of his money in a Ponzi scheme, and then won back twice as much in his own scheme three years later. He would later change his identity and publish a best-seller titled “How To Make Money Without Even Dying,” which was largely self-indulgent bullshit disguised as business advice tied into his experience in the warehouse. The national spotlight his success brought him also brought to light his previous misadventures, and he once again changed his identity, this time with the help of a fleshshaper. Today, he leads a quiet but relatively happy existence, spending most of his time working on his charity, The Busb Center for Urban Renewal. In the garden outside the BCUR, there is a small plaque with the following inscription.

“Ah, love, let us be true
To one another! for the world, which seems
To lie before us like a land of dreams,
So various, so beautiful, so new,
Hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light,
Nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain;
And we are here as on a darkling plain
Swept with confused alarms of struggle and flight,
Where ignorant armies clash by night.”

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S!

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 29, 2014

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

:getin:

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
Yay! I'm still alive!

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
Everybody I recruited, tried to recruit, and thought about recruiting were all town!

I am awesome :getin:

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Grats town! You are welcome for lurker scum Tearshed. :)

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Okay, whew.

Thank you all so, so much for playing. There was a great level of participation and I am really pleased by how much effort people put into this game. You are all wonderful!

So, the debrief.

Roles
Night Actions

Mistakes

Whoo boy.

So, first off, it was severely arrogant to run this game with randomized alignment. I really did not give the RNG any help because I thought the setup was strong enough it could work on its own merits. That was maybe a mistake!

Looking at the worst case scenario for town in this game, day/night 1 if town had been lynched, town had been nightkilled, elephant had hammered and shot town, and Juanito had suicided, that would put the game at five town and three scum at the start of day two! Granted that sequence of events isn't likely, but yeesh.

I definitely did not fully anticipate some aspects of how this played out and it was definitely overambitious to try and run a 13 player all power-role game after years away from mafia. I think perhaps I should not have included full role info in flips. My thought process was that players could not derive enough information from flips without knowing exactly what the non-standard roles did, but really alignment might have been enough.

I probably needed to budget more time for this game, the flavor got a little rushed and I felt bad about that.

Roles

So, I tried to give each player an interesting decision to make. That worked for some of these roles, and not for others.

1. The Mother

I think maybe the decisions involved here were a bit boring. Asiina only gained a protect after bodyguarding another player, but could jail each player once per game. The idea here was that Asiina could chose whether to risk her life and be rewarded for it, or take the easy route and jail. I was attempting to emulate the positive and negative aspects of the avatar.

2. The Demagogue

Maaaaaaaybe a bit too powerful. The idea was that posting a lot of content or having a strong presence can be dangerous for town or scum, but if they went for it they'd be rewarded. I thought this role would be the scum workhorse when I saw the RNG roll. Indiction was supposed to be the negative aspect of the avatar, as town you would be trying to get someone lynched whether you saw them as scum or not just to gain the power.

3. The Plutomancer

Pretty simple choice, but I think bombs are too powerful in retrospect and I regret including that power a little even if it didn't get used. It was just a choice of at what point she wanted to make her move, with each day making it more likely the player might die and have a chance to not impact the game at all.

4. Oneiromancer

My bad. I've always thought this would be a great role for a mafia game, but I tried a little too hard to force it. Sorry if it was unfun to play. The idea of a player making a choice to give up their power to make the game easier for everyone is only interesting when you're watching it play out, not fun for the player involved.

5 & 6 Urbanomancer and Cliomancer

ughjkkhlfhkhhhhhh I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry.

I laughed my rear end off when I saw that both Australians were matched against each other, on separate teams to boot. In the flavor, these two schools have a perpetual rivalry because they often draw charges from similar sources. I have a feeling this was not fun for either player and it's bullshit to ask a player to coordinate their real life around a mafia game on the something awful dot com forums. Also, I accidentally showed some favoritism to fv in this because I was being asked questions in the scumdoc at one point I let her know as I was opening the thread. Sorry! Not fair on my part.

7. Mechanomancer

I'm nervous that this could have broken the game somehow. The idea was it would be a more effective role if you were willing to give up the ability to generate content on another player, but I dunno if that's exactly a fun or interesting choice.

8. Narcomancer

I like this a little better, but I'm pretty sure the choices involved weren't particularly difficult. The self-blocking aspect was not the drawback I thought it would be on paper.

9. Personamancer

This was a late addition. I feel it was one of the stronger roles just because Foo could perform consistently without jumping through any hoops. The idea was that he wasn't actually a "real" role and had to choose between tagging in early to start doing work or waiting and picking just the right role. That was obviously a silly train of thought, especially in an all power-role game.

10. The Fool

Ah, I really like the idea here, but the conditions were too hard to meet and the results too powerful. I thought that was fun, but I'm pretty sure it was just frustrating. If I could make the conditions a little easier and the resulting powers a little less bonkers, I think this coulda been fun.

11. The Chronicler

I just really like masons okay. This was another late addition and I wish I had fleshed some constraints into the role to make the choices a little more interesting, out of thread communication is rad and powerful.

12. The Executioner

I dunno, this was pretty drat strong! I was surprised to see it not used. I like the idea behind the conditions, but the resulting power could have used some innovation. This was in my original setup that utilized a traitor, thus making it very dangerous to scum too.

13. The Entropomancer

I still like this one. Definitely, definitely powerful, but it could have ended very poorly without some luck and Juanito's aim. I thought it was funny, Juanito asked that we handle rolls through a third-party to prevent me from killing him at my discretion. I can't say the thought hadn't crossed my mind beforehand :wink:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

drat!! what an ending.

That was a hell of a game, flavor was great, roles were cool. The random alignments were actually very cool, and it made some of the Standard Mafia Playbook not really work so well, which I thought was fun. It made my Rolecop interesting as well, because while I could see whether or not people were lying when they claimed, that was all I had to go on.

I also had a moment of horror going into N3 when I rolecopped busb because I realized if he were scum, he could very well be lying about his role, and allowing him the firstpost might have allowed him to win! But good work, guys! Really great games from everyone, except lol tearshed.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

Scum team is probably yuming, elefante, and fv

2/3 ain't bad!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

oh, here's the masonry doc https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fihh1tKS7AIUOIlw1g_wHKgnXMZRgIpTY-voRsJndqQ/edit#gid=0

I kinda feel bad, I was shifting computers and forgot to re-open the tab after it being so quiet! Sorry y'all!

• Locked thread