Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

The world of Faerûn is ever filled with rumors of war. Whispers tell of mighty cities and distant nations in turmoil, of cults resurgent, even of the return of fallen gods. Yet some places seem safe from war, hidden away or too small to be noticed.

Tucked away in the grasslands is a quiet town called simply Greenest. It's a way-point, an isolated stopover on a trade route connecting more important locations. It's also your destination.

"Whooa!" shouts the caravan master, and your wagon comes to a halt. About a mile in the distance black smoke rises into the air. Soon enough you find the cause: an inn burned to the ground, with no sign of victims or inhabitants. The ride from Berdusk has been filled with such stops.

"I don't know what's going on here, but stay on your guard. I have a bad feeling about this..."

The caravan lurches forward once again. With any luck, within a few hours you'll be at journey's end, warming your feet by a cozy fire and enjoying an ale in peaceful Greenest.

So I've run a bunch of 5e now. I've done ironicgame with Dead in Thay. I've done wizardgame with Wizard Supremacy. Now it's time for the unthinkable. I'm going to run an actual serious campaign: the entirety of Hoard of the Dragon Queen + Rise of Tiamat. Will this end up like Red Hand of Doom, doomed to never be completed? We'll see.

Who I'm looking for: IRC regulars and frequent posters. If you aren't both of that, sorry but this game is so long and PBP is so slow that I'll need to keep it moving.

What you are getting into: A very long PBP campaign of 5th edition D&D covering level 1 to 15+.

IRC: #hoard

Character Creation

Have a character sheet, portrait and at least a basic backstory. Explain why you're riding to Greenest. Is it home? Did you book passage? Are you guarding the caravan?

For the character, you have two options:

1) Get a 5e PHB and go nuts. It officially comes out today, and has been released earlier at some stores.
2) Download the free Basic rules and build a character from that. This contains one build of the fighter, cleric, thief and wizard, and the full game rules.

As for the specifics:
-Level 1
-Any PHB races/classes. Variant human is ok.
-Stats: 27 point buy or take the standard array of 15/14/13/12/10/8.
-Alignment: Choose one.
-Gear: Either take the free stuff for picking a class and background, OR take the max starting gold for your class (PHB p143) and buy whatever you want.

Recruitment will be open for about a week, until Sunday the 24th. That should give people time to digest the PHB if they are just getting it, coordinate with other players, or whatever. And it gives me a week to recuperate from gencon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Yay dragons!

You know me well enough from our Ryuujin game, but while I'm no stranger to the system I still find myself constantly checking rules due to mixing up older rulesets with the now official ones. I'm available to post a lot (maybe too much, I tend to become the one who ushers the group/story forward due to having a lot of time to post in the day). I should also mention I do have the adventure handy and have skimmed through it, though only a glimpse. Most things will be a mystery to me.

To further up things a notch, me and Ryuujin came up with an idea to co-op some characters!
- This verbose document has been updated. It covers all the information for both Hager and Jager as well as linking to their character sheet. I also plan to use it for recording adventure information during play (items, weight, etc).
- Hager's Character Sheet.

The short end of the story is that some powerful/mystical/astral/something Dragon prevented a catastrophic event but became broken by it in exchange, with its consciousness scattered and adrift across the many planes of existence. Enough of it held together and found itself in the material plane, where it stumbled across the two brothers and fused itself into them to recuperate. This causes some issues to occur for them - in the case of Hager, sudden bouts of dragon-like rage. From there, it's mostly a process of how to deal with having a boisterous, upset and zealous dragon living in their heads while getting a handle on their newly formed issues.

The Dragon's insistence is what brings the brothers to Greenest, claiming the cultists are planning something and essentially drafted the brothers into its on-going fight against them. The brothers struck a deal with the Caravan for a ride rather easily, with Hager offering some extra protection during the trip.

Other stuff: I thought about extending this back story to the rest of the party as an option for character creation to those interested. Ryuujin's and my character are brothers, but perhaps what happened to the Dragon has happened to others the Dragon fought alongside with and are randomly seeking people to inhabit. Alternatively, maybe the essence in our bodies begin to spill out and effect our group mates over time. There's plenty to play with on the idea should anyone else feel like jumping in on it.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 24, 2014

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I will probably make a cleric!

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
I'm in a few games, and try to post a lot in all of them. Also I like to chat on and off topic in irc, some of the best stuff for the game comes out of that. But you probably know that already, eh?

Janelle, "Nel"
The Druid

Once upon a time an elven princess was prophesied to be shot in the heart by one of her own on the year she came of age. Her wise parents secreted her away with a trusted human druid who lived alone on the borderlands between the human tribal territory and the domain of the gold elves.

For two years they lived off the land together in hiding, and the two outcasts learned a lot from each other and went on many adventures, facing all sorts of nasty little demons and haughty little dragons. Then the "princess's" people finally found her. She hadn't come back to them after her year was up, but she'd also run away in the first place. They were captured and the druid was imprisoned, to be tried by the sun elves and the human tribe for kidnapping and witchcraft. The druid didn't say anything while she was denounced, just looked into the crowd and shook her head a little. It looked like she was going to be guilty. The elves were going to break her neck and the humans burn her, but then the princess testified on her behalf through tears that she had been hurt in the forest and lost her memories, that the witch had saved her life and nursed her back to health. Now, she remembered.

None of it was true, just like the prophesy, but it turned a death sentence into one of exile. The sun elves and the humans spared her, so only her hut was burned and her harp broken. Now she guards caravans across the borders of the kingdom, and sneaks back in whenever she can. Now go to bed, and don't repeat my story to your parents or anyone, otherwise I'll put a curse on you!

quote:

Nel
Human
Druid 4
31 hp (4d8+2 HD)
AC 15-17
Initiative: +3
+2 prof
PPerc: 20
PInve: 17
Skills: Stealth, Insight, Investigation, Perception, Survival
Profs: thieves tools, harp, herb kit, light armor, medium armor, shields (druids will not wear armor or use shields made of metal); clubs, daggers, darts, javelins, maces, quarterstaffs, scimitars, sickles, slings, spears
8 Str
16 Dex
14 Con
16 Wis*
10 Int*
10 Cha
6'3" 158 lbs
Description: Brown Skin, Rust-colored eyes, Blonde hair, Third Eye Tattoo, One Pierced Ear (Left), White Teardrop Scar (Left Cheek)
Chaotic
Common, Elvish, Druidic, Draconic
Background: Outlander
Feature: Wanderer
You have an excellent memory for maps and geography, and you can always recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around you. In addition, you can find food and fresh water for yourself and up to five other people each day, provided that the land offers berries, small game, water, and so forth.
Origin: Exile
Personality Traits: I am utterly serene, even in the face of disaster.
Ideals: Self-Knowledge. If you know yourself, there’s nothing left to know.
Bonds: I entered seclusion because I loved someone I could not have because it is--was, my duty to provide children to sustain my tribe. I'm quite good with them.
Flaw: I judge others harshly, and myself even more severely.
Trinket: (72) A silver teardrop earring made from a real teardrop. I rarely take it off and never let it out of my sight.
Gear: Herbalism Kit, Studded Leather, Shield, Club, Sling, 90/100 ironwood acorn bullets, Sprig of Mistletoe, 2 Signal Whistles, Map or Scroll case, Pen and Papers, 2 Waterskins, 1 Day's Rations, Mirror, 9/10ths Healer's Kit, Pouch, Hooded Lantern and 2/3 pints of oil.
Fine Clothes, Altered Purple Dress, Lyre, 150gp jewelry, Antitoxin, Bags,
130gp, 6sp, 6cp

Cantrips: Shillelagh, Produce Flame, Mending
Total spell levels able to be prepared: 7
Spell slots: 4/3
Circle of the Moon
Observant: Quick to notice details of your environment, you gain the following benefits:
• Increase your Intelligence or Wisdom score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
• If you can see a creature’s mouth while it is speaking a language you understand, you can interpret what it’s saying by reading its lips.
• You have a +5 bonus to your passive Wisdom (Perception) and passive Intelligence (Investigation)
scores.
Sentinel: You have mastered techniques to take advantage of every drop in any enemy's guard, gaining the following benefits:
• When you hit a creature with an opportunity attack, the creature's speed becomes 0 for the rest of the turn.
• Creatures within 5 feet of you provoke opportunity attacks from you even if they take the Disengage action before leaving your reach.
• When a creature within 5 feet of you makes an attack against a target other than you (and that target doesn't have this feat), you can use your reaction to make a melee weapon attack against the attacking creature.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 1, 2014

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Lothire posted:

:words:

Seeking DM approvals:
- I'm using Tavern Brawler feat in hopes that you might open up the requirements a bit. It specifies that one can grapple as a bonus action after hitting with an improvised weapon or unarmed strike. Since an improvised weapon mechanic-wise is suppose to be a weapon similar to a proper one (such as a chair leg mechanically working as a club), I'm hoping you will let me grapple after a normal attack with my real weapon. Part of why I request this is due to wanting to give Hager a Longsword to use instead of a two hander. Eventually I'll grab the Brawler feat for better grapples, but none of this will be very useful if I can't get a bonus grapple after a normal weapon attack. I plan to use the Longsword two handed a lot of the time to make use of the Versatile property but if you'd rather, I could make it so I only get a grapple bonus when I use it one handed. Essentially trading 2 potential damage in exchange for a bonus grabbing attempt, which seems a fair approach.

Eh how about this: when you want to use the bonus offhand grapple, use the longsword (or whatever) as an improvised weapon. Then we don't really have to change anything. You can narrate it however you want then; 1h or 2h. When you don't care to grapple you can use the normal weapon damage.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Zedekiah Saltport

High Concept posted:

Personality - If you do me an injury, I will crush you, ruin your name, and salt your fields.
Ideal - The strongest are meant to rule.
Bond - The people and clients of the Zhentarim are all that matter.
Flaw - I have little respect for anyone who is not a proven warrior.

Background: Act 1 posted:

A literal card-carrying member of The Black Network, Zedekiah is dedicated to the preservation and expansion of the relationships and influence that define the Zhentarim as a force to be reckoned with in the current world order. As a third-generation member of The Network, he has been raised in their environment and steeped in their traditions since birth, and firmly believes in its goals: specifically, to become an omnipresent and inescapable entity, wealthier and more powerful than any of its 'peers', and untouchable in both courts of law and in reality, through whatever combination of sword and sorcery is necessary.

As a representative of the public face of the organization, one of his primary duties is to market himself to those in need, and to define the term 'the best that money can buy' when it comes to mercenary activity. In his eyes, and the eyes of his organization, being the best doesn't just mean the strongest and most capable in battle, however - it also means undercutting the competition when necessary, being the fastest to act and the most reliable, and having near-constant availability to preferred clients. Everything he does is designed to elicit one lasting opinion in his clients: when you buy the aid of the Zhentarim, you don't regret it. Ever. And after the first job, you would never consider hiring anybody else.

His role as a mercenary is what has brought him to Greenest. In order to deal a damaging blow to a competitor in the realm of caravan work in the region, he signed on for guard duty at half his usual market rate, offered to forego the first three days of hazard pay if it should arise, and also offered to make available his skills as a smith to all members of the caravan for the duration of the engagement, charging only the cost of materials for anything the group happened to need during the journey (so long as they were able to provide a forge and the time necessary to build what was needed). He hasn't had much interaction with the caravan master in the past, but this is an opportunity to make a good impression, and he doesn't intend to waste it.

Developments: Act 2 posted:

The past twenty days have been filled with adventure and intrigue, as well as a number of unexpected developments. Zedekiah has not yet had the time required to take stock of the impact of these events on his life, though the risks and rewards of continuing down the path he has found himself on are ever on his mind. In some cases, however, he is not yet even fully aware of the ramifications of his actions, which hinders the development of informed choices and opinions.

Wraith Protocol...
Most notable on the surface is his 'departure' from The Black Network, in order to join the Harper organization. A Zhentarim life is the only kind he has ever known, and although as a broker of mercenary services in the Sword Coast region he didn't necessarily advertise his affiliation with the network at all times, there were inevitably certain parties who knew the truth. One such example of this is Buford, and the rest of the Black Claw Mercenary group, who were obviously all too aware of the specifics of his employment history.

Once the Zhentarim were informed of the possibility of a relatively low-value asset having had an opportunity to find himself invited to the Harper organization, they secretly initiated a protocol to wipe any 'unfortunate' knowledge of Zedekiah's true allegiances from those he has been connected with in the region. Those who can have been bought, and those who couldn't be bought have been silenced, either permanently with a blade or a seemingly unfortunate accident, depending on their status in life. For some more prominent individuals, blackmail has been acquired to ensure their silence, and in very rare instances memory modification magic has simply removed the man from the minds of people who knew too much, but were otherwise too useful to simply murder.

The Zhentarim are nothing if not brutally efficient in seizing opportunities, though they are mindful of the cost for an opportunity that has not yet proven itself. They have done what they can to ensure that no loose tongues will reveal their agent as he begins his infiltration of the Harper organization, but there is certainly no guarantee that they have silenced or murdered every single person who knew the truth about Zedekiah. Such a thing would require significant magic to accomplish with one hundred percent accuracy, and quite simply, he hasn't yet proven himself worthy of that kind of expense. Although Zedekiah is unaware of the specifics of the infiltration protocol, he is aware that the Network will do what it can to ensure his infiltration is not compromised by other agents or contacts of the Network.

As a result of his infiltration, a mixed blessing has also been received. His name will be stricken from all written records of the Network, for fear of Harper spies infiltrating and accessing the data, and as a result his membership in the merchant guild that was acting as a front for the Network in the region has been revoked. He will no longer be expected to pay any guild dues for the duration of his infiltration, for fear of the payment being traced back to him, but the downside to that is that the guild can no longer directly intervene on his behalf if he runs into trouble, as that would raise too many questions. For the moment, and for the first time in his life, Zedekiah is truly operating without the primary and secondary safety nets that the Network has always provided to him. It is a time to shine and prove his worth, ascending quickly in the ranks of the organization if he is successful, to be sure. But it is also a time when a single fall could very well mean that every single bone in his body ends up broken, or worse.

The shadow of Manshoon...
If anyone had been watching closely during the siege of Greenest, they would have noted that during the darkest of hours, with a dragon flying overhead and hundreds of armed soldiers surrounding his position in the keep, Zedekiah had quite literally gambled with his life in order to find the strength necessary to defend the city. The trinket of the past he possesses, a book titled 'Fighting Man', was written by the founder of the Black Network centuries ago, and carried within its bindings a wax ball containing a few drops of the blood of the founder. It is said that those who can survive the trial of 'Fighting Man' will be gifted with great power, and for whatever reason - perhaps the dictates of fate, or the whims of the author of the book - Zedekiah did not die a horrible, gruesome death when he mixed the blood of Manshoon with his own, using the wax ball as an eye dropper.

Since that time, his arcane might has increased rapidly, going quite literally from zero to hero. He can see the present with clearer vision than ever before, and as time has gone on, he has also started to literally see potential futures play out before his eyes, showing him the path to futures he wants, and which steps or words to avoid to negate futures he doesn't wish to see come to pass. That was, however, only the beginning. As the blood of the founder continues to mingle and strengthen his own, the barrier between the veil will continue to weaken, and the voice of Manshoon itself may one day speak directly to him. Although the founder still lives, technically, in the body of a clone that has since been turned into a vampire, the original spirit lingers elsewhere, and would very likely be interested in having an agent on the mortal plane once more.

At present, that barrier between the veil is weakening, but has not shattered entirely. Distant memories and ancient knowledge are starting to become mentally accessible to Zedekiah, and with time and meditation, any secret to which he is not privy can quite possibly be answered by leveraging the echoes of the memories of the founder.

pre:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name:		Zedekiah Saltport				Alignment:	Chaotic Neutral
Race:		Human						Sub-race:	Damaran
Class:		Fighter (1) / Wizard (4)			Background:	Sage
Size:		Medium						Homeland:	Vaasa

STR		16 (+3)	[15 base + 1 feat]			INT		16 (+3)	[15 base + 1 racial]
DEX		 8 (-1)	[ 8 base]				WIS		 8 (-1)	[ 8 base]
CON		16 (+3)	[15 base + 1 racial]			CHA		 8 (-1)	[ 8 base]

HP		41 / 41	[10 fighter + 16 wizard + 15 ability]	AC		20	[17 armor + 2 shield + 1 fighter]
Proficiency	+3	[Lv. 5]					Initiative	-1	[-1 ability]
Speed		30'	[30 racial]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Melee
   Lance	[*]  Piercing			1d12+3		+ 6 to hit		[3 proficiency + 3 ability]
			One-handed when mounted.  Two-handed when not mounted.
			+5' reach when attacking.  Disadvantage on attacks against enemies within 5'.
   Longsword	[1H] Slashing			1d8+3		+ 6 to hit		[3 proficiency + 3 ability]
   Quarterstaff	[1H] Bludgeoning		1d6+3		+ 6 to hit		[3 proficiency + 3 ability]

Ranged
   Dart		[1H] Piercing		20'/60'	1d4+3		+ 6 to hit		[3 proficiency + 3 ability]
   Chill Touch	[1H] Necrotic		120'	2d8		+ 6 to hit		[3 proficiency + 3 ability]
			On a hit, the target can’t regain hit points until the start of your next turn.
			If you hit an undead target, it also has disadvantage on attack rolls against
			you until the end of your next turn.
Special abilities:
   Race:	Human
		+1 Constitution / +1 Intelligence
		Skill proficiency (persuasion)
		Language proficiency (common)
		Language proficiency (draconic)

Feats:	Heavy armor master							[Human]
		• +1 Strength
		• While you are wearing heavy armor, bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage that you
		  take from non-magical weapons is reduced by 3.

Mounted combatant							[Wizard Lv. 4]
		• You have advantage on melee attack rolls against any unmounted creature that is smaller
		  than your mount.
		• You can force an attack targeted at your mount to target you instead.
		• If your mount is subjected to an effect that allows it to make a Dexterity saving throw
		  to take only half damage, it instead takes no damage if it succeeds on the saving throw,
		  and only half damage if it fails.

Background:	Sage
		Skill proficiency (arcana)
		Skill proficiency (investigation)
		Language proficiency (primordial)
		Tool proficiency (smith)

Researcher
		• When you attempt to learn or recall a piece of lore, if you do not know that information,
		  you often know where and from whom you can obtain it. Usually, this information comes from
		  a library, scriptorium, university, or a sage or other learned person or creature. 

The knowledge you seek might be secreted away in an almost inaccessible place, or perhaps
		  simply cannot be found. Unearthing the deepest secrets of the multiverse can require an
		  adventure or even a whole campaign.

Class:	Fighting style (defense)						[Fighter Lv. 1]
		While you are wearing armor, you gain a +1 bonus to AC.

Second wind								[Fighter Lv. 1]
		On your turn, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d10+1. Once you use
		this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.

Spellcasting								[Wizard Lv. 1]
		• Cantrips		(4)
		• Prepared spells	(7)						[4 Wizard + 3 Ability]
		• Spell slots
		    Lv. 1		(4)
		    Lv. 2		(3)
		• Spellcasting focus
		• Ritual casting
		  You can cast a wizard spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have
		  the spell in your spellbook. You don't need to have the spell prepared.

Arcane Recovery	(2 slots)						[Wizard Lv. 1]
		• Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to
		  recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than
		  half your wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher.

Arcane Tradition	(Divination)					[Wizard Lv. 2]
		Divination Savant							[Wizard Lv. 2]
		• The gold and time you must spend to copy a divination spell into your spellbook is halved.
		Portent									[Wizard Lv. 2]
		• When you finish a long rest, roll two d20 and record the numbers rolled. You can replace
		  any attack roll, saving throw, or ability check made by you or a creature that you can see
		  with one of these foretelling rolls. You must choose to do so before the roll, and you
		  can replace a roll in this way only once per turn. Each foretelling roll can be used only
		  once. When you finish a long rest, you lose any unused foretelling rolls.
Proficiencies:
Skills:
Athletics		+ 6		Fighter		STR	[3 proficiency + 3 ability]
Acrobatics		- 1		---		DEX	[0 proficiency - 1 ability]
Sleight of hand		- 1		---		DEX	[0 proficiency - 1 ability]
Stealth			- 1		---		DEX	[0 proficiency - 1 ability]
Knowledge
   (arcana)		+ 6		Sage		INT	[3 proficiency + 3 ability]
   (history)		+ 6		Fighter		INT	[3 proficiency + 3 ability]
   (investigation)	+ 6		Sage		INT	[3 proficiency + 3 ability]
   (nature)		+ 3		---		INT	[0 proficiency + 3 ability]
   (religion)		+ 3		---		INT	[0 proficiency + 3 ability]
Animal handling		- 1		---		WIS	[0 proficiency - 1 ability]
Insight			- 1		---		WIS	[0 proficiency - 1 ability]
Medicine		- 1		---		WIS	[0 proficiency - 1 ability]
Perception		- 1		---		WIS	[0 proficiency - 1 ability]
Survival		- 1		---		WIS	[0 proficiency - 1 ability]
Deception		- 1		---		CHA	[0 proficiency - 1 ability]
Intimidation		- 1		---		CHA	[0 proficiency - 1 ability]
Performance		- 1		---		CHA	[0 proficiency - 1 ability]
Persuasion		+ 2		Human		CHA	[3 proficiency - 1 ability]

Equipment:
Arms			Simple / Martial			[Fighter]
Armor			Light / Medium / Heavy / Shield		[Fighter]
Tools			Artisan (smith)				[Sage]

Saves:
Strength		+ 6		Fighter			[3 proficiency + 3 ability]
Dexterity		- 1		---			[0 proficiency - 1 ability]
Constitution		+ 6		Fighter			[3 proficiency + 3 ability]
Intelligence		+ 3		---			[0 proficiency + 3 ability]
Wisdom			- 1		---			[0 proficiency - 1 ability]
Charisma		- 1		---			[0 proficiency - 1 ability]

Languages:	 	3					[2 racial + 1 background]
   Standard            (1):		Common
   Exotic	       (2):		Draconic, Primordial
Spellbook:
Cantrips
   Chill touch					[Necromancy]		[Wizard  1-1]
   Mending					[Transmutation]		[Wizard  1-2]
   Message					[Transmutation]		[Wizard  4-1]
   Minor illusion				[Illusion]		[Wizard  1-3]

Level 1
   Chromatic orb				[Evocation]		[Copied  50G] (Scroll: 40G)
   Expeditious retreat		(Concentration)	[Transmutation]		[Wizard  1-1]
   Feather fall					[Transmutation]		[Wizard  2-1]
   Longstrider					[Transmutation]		[Wizard  1-3]
   Magic missile				[Evocation]		[Copied  50G] (Spellbook: cult mage)
   Shield					[Abjuration]		[Wizard  1-4]
   Sleep					[Enchantment]		[Wizard  1-5]

Level 2
   Arcane lock					[Abjuration]		[Wizard  4-1]
   Knock					[Transmutation]		[Copied 100G] (Scroll: 80G)
   Levitate			(Concentration)	[Transmutation]		[Wizard  3-1]
   Locate object		(Concentration)	[Divination]		[Wizard  3-2]
   Suggestion			(Concentration)	[Enchantment]		[Copied 100G] (Spellbook: elf mercenary)
   Web				(Concentration)	[Conjuration]		[Copied 100G] (Scroll: 80g)

Rituals
   Alarm			(Ritual: Lv. 1) [Abjuration]		[Copied  50G] (Scroll: 40G)
   Comprehend languages		(Ritual: Lv. 1) [Divination]		[Copied  25G] (Scroll: 40G)
   Detect magic			(Ritual: Lv. 1)	[Divination]		[Copied  25G] (Spellbook: cult mage)
   Find familiar		(Ritual: Lv. 1)	[Conjuration]		[Wizard  1-2]
   Identify			(Ritual: Lv. 1)	[Divination]		[Copied  25G] (Scroll: 40G)
   Illusory script		(Ritual: Lv. 1) [Illusion]		[Copied  50G] (Scroll: 40G)
   Tenser's floating disk	(Ritual: Lv. 1)	[Conjuration]		[Wizard  2-2]
   Unseen servant		(Ritual: Lv. 1)	[Conjuration]		[Wizard  1-6]

Gentle repose		(Ritual: Lv. 2)	[Necromancy]		[Wizard  4-2]
Wealth:

Arms
Lance*					(    5   gp)		  6    lbs.		1d12 piercing / Reach / Special
Longsword*				(    7.5 gp)		  3    lbs.		1d8 slashing / Versatile (1d10)
Quarterstaff (arcane focus)		(    5   gp)		  4    lbs.		1d6 bludgeoning / Versatile (1d8)
Dart*				[x98]   (    2.5 gp)		 25    lbs.		1d4 piercing / Finesse
					-----------		----------
					     20  gp		 38    lbs.
					-----------		----------
Armor and clothing
Splint mail*				(  100   gp)		 60    lbs.		17 AC
Shield*					(    5   gp)		  6    lbs.		+2 AC
Clothes (traveler's)			(    2   gp)		  4    lbs.
Holy symbol (amulet)			(    5   gp)		  1    lbs.		Red Knight
Bag of holding (500 lbs. capacity)	    Uncommon		 15    lbs.		Contents
					-----------		----------
					    112  gp		 86    lbs.
					-----------		----------
Adventuring gear (worn for accessibility)
Belt pouch			[x 4]	(    2   gp)		  4    lbs.		24 lbs. overall capacity
  Ball bearings (bag of 1,000)*	[x 5]	(    2.5 gp)		 10    lbs.
  Oil (flask)			[x11]	(    1.1 gp)		 11    lbs.
Caltrops (bag of 20)*		[x10]	(    5   gp)		 20    lbs.
Grappling hook*				(    1   gp)		  4    lbs.
Healer's kit				(    -   gp)		  3    lbs.		Black Claw mercenary kit
Potion of healing		[x 7]	(  350   gp)		  3.5  lbs.
Rope (50' hemp)			[x 2]	(    2   gp)		 20    lbs.
					-----------		----------
					   363.6 gp		 75.5  lbs.
					-----------		----------
Adventuring gear (securely stored)
Waterproof backpack			(   30   gp)		  5    lbs.		[Arcane Lock: party only]
  Arcane supplies
  Spellbook				(   50   gp)		  3    lbs.		Temple of Chauntea
  Ink (1 ounce)				(   10   gp)		 --    lbs.		Temple of Chauntea
  Ink pen				(     .1 gp)		 --    lbs.		Temple of Chauntea
  Scroll case			[x 5]   (    5   gp)		  5    lbs.
  Scroll of dispel magic		(  180   gp)		 --    lbs.
  Scroll of water breathing		(  180   gp)		 --    lbs.
  Arcane ink (counterspell)		(  150   gp)		 --    lbs.
  Arcane ink (dispel magic)		(  150   gp)		 --    lbs.
  Arcane ink (water breathing)		(  150   gp)		 --    lbs.

Material components
  Diamond				(   50   gp)		 --    lbs.		[Lv. 1] Chromatic orb
  Incense			[x 4]	(   40   gp)		 --    lbs.		[Lv. 1] Find familiar
  Pearl					(  100   gp)		 --    lbs.		[Lv. 1] Identify
  Lead-based ink		[x 2]	(   20   gp)		 --    lbs.		[Lv. 1] Illusory script
  Marked runes				(   25   gp)		 --    lbs.		[Lv. 2] Augury
  Glass eye				(  100   gp)		 --    lbs.		[Lv. 3] Clairvoyance (sight)
  Jeweled horn				(  100   gp)		 --    lbs.		[Lv. 3] Clairvoyance (sound)
					-----------		----------
					 1,340.1 gp		 13    lbs.
					-----------		----------
Total					 1,835.7 gp		212.5  lbs.
*Crafted				-----------		----------

Riding horse				(   75   gp)		
  Bit and bridle			(    2   gp)		  1    lbs.
  Military saddle			(   20   gp)		 30    lbs.
  Saddlebags				(    4   gp)		  8    lbs.
  Equipment							209    lbs.
  Zedekiah							200    lbs.
					-----------		----------
					   101   gp		448    lbs.
					-----------		----------

Pazu
Backpack				(    2   gp)		  5    lbs.		[Worn by Pazu]
  Blue half-dragon scales		(    -   gp)		  1    lbs.		Cyanwrath
  Blue drake scales		[x 3]	(    -   gp)		  3    lbs.		Cult drakes
  Captured spellbook		        (    -   gp)		  3    lbs.		Cult mercenary
  Captured spellbook		        (    -   gp)		  3    lbs.		Elf mercenary
  Captured spellbook		        (    -   gp)		  3    lbs.		Thayan
  Commemorative tankard			(    -   gp)		 --    lbs.		Hero of Greenest
  'Fighting Man' book			(    -   gp)		 --    lbs.		Trinket
  Harper pin				(    -   gp)		 --    lbs.		Harper identification
					-----------		----------
					     2   gp		 18    lbs.
					-----------		----------

Carrying capacity		Pazu	     Zedekiah		Riding horse
Strength			   3		   16			  16		[16]
Carrying capacity		  22.5 lbs.	  240 lbs.		 480  lbs.	[16 * 15]
Push / drag / lift		  45  lbs.	  480 lbs.		 960  lbs.	[16 * 30]

Waador fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 9, 2015

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.
Gonna have a character up by tonight— Thinking a bard or a rogue.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I'll try and get something up tonight as well, probably a paladin or barb.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

ritorix posted:

Eh how about this: when you want to use the bonus offhand grapple, use the longsword (or whatever) as an improvised weapon. Then we don't really have to change anything. You can narrate it however you want then; 1h or 2h. When you don't care to grapple you can use the normal weapon damage.

Basically an unarmed attack but can fluff it however. That would function, but comparing a lot of other options I think I'll have to abandon the idea. My goal was to get it so I could maintain reasonable damage while still getting a chance to grapple - when compared to losing out on heavy weapon damage alone the idea is shaky, even more so when I lose out on longsword damage just for a STR check. It could work if I was dedicated to it, but since I'm trying to get good feel for the Barbarian it'd be better if I stick to one of the more traditional routes. Appreciate the effort anyways.

I'm thinking of either Savage Attack, Sentinel or Great Weapon Master. Going on GWM for now, as I can make use of that bonus attack on kill even without a heavy weapon and just look for a Greatsword somewhere down the road.

e: Looks like I can forgo the armor and let my con/dex make up the AC, giving me money for the Greatsword.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 20, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Take the equipment package.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Jared

An enchanting rogue. A man of grace and charm. Where his brother Hager has become known as a civilized barbarian, Jared is better known as a charming entertainer. Like his brother he does not stand much taller than most, his height matches his much stronger brother, his muscles certainly don't bulge through his outfits, in fact his muscle tone is much less obvious than his brothers. Where his brother dresses much as a laborer, and has limited social graces, Jared dresses well and has quite extensive social graces. Like his brother he is ready with a laugh and happy to converse with others, like his brother all this plays into the illusion that he is a normal man. The truth is something more, or something less.

Born and raised alongside his brother, Hager, Jared learned quickly that his gifts rested in a disarming smile, a cunning tongue and skilled reflexes. While his brother toiled on farms, felling trees for lumber, joining the soldiery and putting his strength to use, Jared studied books, though he made his living by playing his guitar, juggling and eating fire. Traveling alongside his brother and where his brother would work hard chopping wood for room and board Jared would play and perform for his. He dealt with things too cerebral for his brother, and whenever social niceties were needed, and his brother would handle things that required more force. Such was his bond with his brother, relying on him in matters that reached beyond his physical capabilities. At times it proves a source of great frustrations, but all brothers quarrel only to move on just as quickly. Jared cherishes the fancy life of leisure that he acquires from his entertaining, unlike his brother who prefers the simple life, though like his brother a part of him really wished to see more of the world. By all means Jared was a fun loving and kind individual. Well humored, caring little for nobility except as patron or target, perhaps his head was too often in the clouds at times.
An incredible event would unfold for him and his brother that would change their lives. In a world far beyond the brothers own, a Dragon had been fighting in wars unthinkable to the mortal mind. A nearly cataclysmic event had been averted thanks to its efforts, but the cost of victory was great. The dragon was broken, it’s essence and consciousness spread across the many varied planes of existence, floating aimlessly and mostly left unseen by all.
When a particularly potent collection of the essence came to the material world, it regained a semblance of consciousness. It happened across the brothers and, upon finding them asleep in their home, slipped into their minds and fused its essence into their own. Why this happened is unknown to them, but for the dragon, it was an instinctual act of survival.

In the following days, Jared would become withdrawn, drawing back from others, even his brother, as he began to hear voices whispering to him. Where unknown to him his brother would suffer from extreme bouts of rage and aggression at seemingly unpredictable times, Jared would instead find his emotions withdrawn and reserved, while his mind raced free from mind to mind. He learned far too much about others, unsure of what was happening, and he tried to flee from others, until he noticed that tavern brawls his brother was involved in all of a sudden threatened to become murder scenes when his brother failed to keep the rage in check, resulting in prison time. His brother was in trouble and he couldn't flee to isolation and leave him to fate. His brother, who yes enjoyed a good bar fight before, but never lashed out to such a degree, was ashamed and came to him and confessed of an illness effecting him. Jared was surprised, so concerned with what was happening to himself he had been unaware of what had been happening to his brother. And he confessed to his brother about what had been plaguing him as well, and touched his brothers mind, speaking into it. He had not know that he could do that. But clearly whatever was filling his brother with rage was having a strange effect on Jared's mind as well.

Together the two work to find the cause and better understand what was happening to them. Jared's brother Hager found himself more in control when in the presence of Jared, even learning to call upon it at will when his own strength was not enough. While Jared found that he could better keep out the multitude of voices when in the presence of Hager, better able to focus on speaking to others mind to mind. While his brother has been able to tap into this strange rage and focus it to great use, Jared has found that his tests not only allow him to speak mind to mind, but that he has become able to tap into some strange eldritch energy.

The day came when a disembodied voice made itself known to the brothers. Loud and upset would be the ideal descriptors for this voice, as it rambled noisily on subjects too sporadic to follow. Through several minutes of confusion and accusations of parlor tricks, the brothers realized it was a voice heard only to them.

The voice came to identify itself as a Dragon. It explained itself to the brothers, much to their disbelief, though it did come as the only feasible explanation for recent events in their lives. Boastfully the Dragon recounted its achievements and glories in places they have never heard of nor quite possibly will never see. A long history of contending with forces Jared has only vague ideas about, but it admits to being the source of the brother’s recent issues.

But there was a pressing matter the dragon would no longer allow to be ignored. It knew that there were dragon cultists to be found by Greenest in the Sword Coast, and that they must be confronted. How it knew such, it would not say. Why it mattered was also a mystery to the brothers. Still, the dragon was not about to let them return to their lives until this demand was met. Reluctant at first, Jared knew he would not return to his usual self while the dragon continued to live in their minds, nor would he ever leave his brother to such a task alone. The two would soon make their way to Greenest.

Background: Entertainer; From work to play to fighting, Jared enjoys entertaining others and making use of his charisma and grace. Playing his guitar, juggling and eating fire pay the bills and keep him fed. And well keep him happy.
Skills: Acrobatics, Arcana (class), Investigation (class), Performance, Persuasion (human).
Trait: Entertainer; A life spent Entertaining others allows Jared to find room and board at an inn or tavern, or perhaps a circus, so long as he performs.
Human Feat: Spellsniper (When cast a spell that requires an attack roll, the spell's range is doubled. My ranged spell attacks ignore half cover and three-quarters cover. Learn one cantrip that requires an attack roll, Eldritch Blast.).

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 24, 2014

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Its time Krag Hack made it home.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Ander Basha - Human Paladin

Growing up in a noble home allows for one to enjoy many of the finer things in life. The best food, the best care, and the best in entertainment. Indeed, life was easy in the Basha home, up until the time when the patriarch, Bareris, died. Ander's older brother, Diero, became the head of the household at the relatively tender young age of 12, leaving Ander to languish in his shadow. Diero resented his younger brother, his carefree lifestyle and the fact that he was free to play with the other children and roam and explore their towns and lands. So once Ander was old enough, Diero had him sent to the nearby church of Lathander to get him out of his hair.

The discipline of the paladin's lifestyle did little to hamper Ander's free spirit, or mend the mutual resentment between him and his brother. Once he came of age within the church, he applied for transfer to the furthest place he could get from his family's lands. Someplace where he could make a name for himself outside of his family's shadow.
---
Here's the basic background, I'll probably touch it up later.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
Expressin' interest. My PHB should be arriving tomorrow but if it doesn't I'll just use the basic rules and make a halfling rogue or something.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009

Rolen Nailo, Half-Elf Bard

Bharash Myastan wasn't expecting much when the Cartographer's Guild gave him a post in the middle of nowhere, in Greenest. More like Dumpiest, if he'd had his say, but that's why he makes maps, and not the names of places on them. The townsfolk were afraid of his draconic appearance, but he liked to think of it as the petty masses cowering before their dragon ruler, descended from on high. Of course, his actual work was far short of his lofty ambitions. Not that maps weren't important, of course; uncharted territory needs to be explored and charted, but the pay was dismal; thankfully, he had guild contracts and side jobs to keep him afloat, and turn his workshop into a respectable establishment.

It became so respectable, in fact, that one uneventful morning turned just a bit more eventful. As Bharash opened his front door, he found something a bit unusual sitting there, crying, wailing really, for all to hear; a baby, wrapped in swaddling grey cloth. It was a pinkish thing, sort of chubby maybe, with the first wisps of black hair appearing on his head. Oh brother, Bharash thought, and a more careful examination revealed a note attached to the baby and its faux fabric cradle.

To whom this may concern,

This child is more important to me than my life. He will grow well, but not under my care. He is a child of two worlds, a half-elf at his very core. To whomever I have left with my burden, I can only apologize. I know this place, how to get here and how to return whence I came. I will come back for this child once he is of age. All I ask in return is you give him care, warmth, shelter, and hone his body and mind for when the time his services may be needed arise. They will be needed, but I cannot say when, why, or how. You might turn him away, you might hand him off to someone else, but I will never forget my son, no matter where he goes. Take this message to heart, and consider its words carefully.

There was no indication as to who wrote the cryptic note, nor as to the reason for abandoning this child that was apparently so important for some purpose or another. Bharash had never found a wife, and strongly considered the possibility that he would never have children of his own. He took another look at the note, and at the baby. It was a stupid thing to do, to try...but he could probably raise this thing better than any of the folk of this dismal little town, so, he figured...why not?

---

Several decades later, and Bharash's reach in Greenest had grown, along with the size and scope of the town. The baby, who Bharash named Rolen Nailo, after the great elvish hero who helped chart the first map of the Sword Coast, had grown into a fine young man. His wisps of black hair were now more like a mane. He grew healthy and lithe, picking up bits and pieces of every skill Bharash could teach him; swordplay, bits of Dragonborn history and language here and there, tempered with the boy's seeming natural talent for magic and music...he became a very well-rounded individual.

So well-rounded, in fact, that Bharash decided to send the boy on one of numerous side-jobs from the guild he'd picked up. A delivery to Berdusk.

"This seems too straightfoward, Father; why send me?" Rolen asks as the two stand just inside the front door to Bharash's workshop.

"I have a million other things to do, of course! Bah, boy, don't question everything, just do what I say!" Bharash replies, impatience showing through the hissing and spittle his words produce.

Rolen leaves without another objection, and the delivery, to Berdusk's inn, is as straightforward as it seemed. The return trip, however, is shaping up to be not so straightforward...

My first 5e dude, so let me know if the sheet looks okay (right numbers, that sort of thing.) Otherwise, stoked to get into/play a 5e game and see what it's really like!

PurplieNurplie fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 21, 2014

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

My thief's in the works, should have the sheet all done with a background and what not tomorrow. Just wanted to ask though: Is playing a Drow cool, or would you prefer I use something else?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Drow are fine to play if you don't mind the sunlight penalty.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
If only the Ganja Wizard had time.

loving wizard weed school sucks.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KRAG HACK

A burst of light extended through the grove followed by a swift strike of lightning blasting down from the sky and the successive wave of thunder. After silence fell in the field a body of a human and a goblin shuddered slightly before quickly scrambling to their feet looking for danger.

Krag swivelled his head around madly before realising he was once again holding an axe in his hand. Scrambling to check his clothing he recognized the tell-tale decorations of a cleric.

"HUG HUG! I'M A CLERIC AGAIN! WE MUST BE IN FAIRYRUN AGAIN!" Jumping for joy Krag made enough noise to ensure none of the wildlife would dare return to the grove. Though the environment was very different to last time he was here. Battering down the gates to Red Wizard's pocket plane and being caught in the collapse had projected Krag across the planes. He had journeyed far and wide exploring what the universe had to offer but always Krag had longed to return home. After a brief exploration of the landscape Krag recognised the signs of civilisation again. Whatever task the gods or other unseen benefactors had brought him here for was surely to be discovered in the town of Greenest. He wanted to finish his task quickly so he could move on. His only companion, his goblin friend Hug Hug. Krag took step after step forward, striving to put right what was wrong, hoping each time the next leap would be the leap home.

pre:
Krag Hack
Human Cleric 1

HP: 11/11
HD: 1/1 (1d8)
AC: 19
Saves(+2): Wisdom, Charisma
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 ft.
Alignment: No thanks.

Str 16 (+3)
Dex 8 (-1)
Con 16 (+3)
Int 16 (+3)
Wis 8 (-1)
Cha 8 (-1)

Attacks:
Battleaxe (+5) 1d8+3 Slashing, Versatile (1d10+3)
Javelin (+5) 1d6+3 Piercing, Thrown (Range 30/120)

Languages: Common, Dwarf

Background: Folk Hero
Feature: Rustic Hospitality

Defining Event: Killed a Lich
Personality Trait: I get bored easily. When am I going to get on with my destiny?
Ideal: Respect
Bond: Noble Squire Hug Hug the goblin
Flaw: I’m convinced of the significance of my destiny, and blind to my shortcomings and the risk of failure.

Proficiencies(+2):
Weapon: Simple, Martial
Armour: Light, Medium, Heavy, Shield
Skills: History, Insight, Animal Handling, Survival, Investigation
Tools: Artisan Tools(Alchemist Kit), Vehicles(land)

Class Traits:
War Priest 1/day

Feats:
Heavy Armour Master

Equipment:
Splint Mail, Shield, Battleaxe, 10 javelins
shovel,iron pot, set of common clothes, belt pouch, bedroll
4 gp

Divine Spells(DC 10) - 1 Spells Known per Day:
Cantrips: Light, Sacred Flame, Spare the Dying
Level 1(2/day): divine favor, shield of faith, Cure Wounds

EDIT: Not sure if I'll keep the cleric, its mostly for healing + buff, or change to a fighter. Will see when the party is picked if needed.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Aug 21, 2014

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Gonna give this a shot!

Sarah Wormwood, Elf Wizard, Scholar Background.

Summary: A Scholar with what some might call a suspicious interest in taboo magical practices. Returning to Greenest in shame after being thrown out of wizard school.

On the edge of Greenest lies a large stone house, its sturdy frame a grey blotch on the lush landscape. Its occupants were an odd folk, ten in number and dressed in grey robes, they tended to their garden, fed their animals, and made offerings to a small shrine of an unknown god. Wary of outsiders, they ignored all but the most desperate calls for their attention, and if approached directly they would retreat into the house and board the windows with wooden shutters. Those who lingered too long were often scared off by a flash of light or a thunderclap, and in some extreme cases, an arrow. At night passing travellers would hear soft chanting, see strange lights dance from behind the shutters, and on some occasions, clouds would begin to circle over its tiled roof.

In spite of these ill portents, little came from their presence. Thus the people of Greenest kept their distance, went about their lives, and, except for the occasional remark about the odd people just outside of town, gave them little thought. However, things changed when an illness swept through the town. Suddenly, a young girl calling herself Sarah walked among the townsfolk in ill-fitting grey robes, buying food and medicine, before quickly returning to the house, responding to the curious villagers’ questions with single-word answers. From them it seemed that the people in the house were being severely affected by the disease, and that whatever was coming from inside the house was “art.” Those concerned enough to look further into the matter and approach the house were warded off as they had been before. When the illness’ grip finally broke on Greenest, a row of nine rock cairns, each topped by a smooth stone, appeared beside the dirt path leading to the house.

After that, Sarah’s presence became more and more frequent. As she worked odd-jobs for the townsfolk, the “art” that was being practiced in the house became apparent when she began conjuring ghostly hands and orbs of flame in the midst of her work. Although her grasp on common improved on a daily basis, it was evident that the taciturn behaviour of her family had rubbed off on her, and she was reticent to the point of frustration for some. However, what little she did give away began to fill in the blanks: The grey-robed people were from the north, they were exiled for something relating to the “art,” they were afraid of the people of the village, and all but Sarah and her mother succumbed to the illness. Eventually, some of the people of Greenest began to warm to her, and she to them, but this was not to last.

There came a day when a tenth cairn was laid beside the path. Not long after, Sarah came to the town with a small herd of goats, a cart full of produce, and sold what she could. “Heading north,” was all she said in response to the curious looks the townsfolk gave her. When asked if she was going home, she simply smiled and shook her head. With that she disappeared, and the house lay silent.

Years passed, and a series of odd rumours came trickling down from the north. Apparently a woman in grey robes had been causing quite the stir in Waterdeep after she had made some brazen proclamations about certain unsavoury forms of magic, and had been expelled from one of the academies after getting her hands - briefly - on a forbidden text. The latest rumour about the woman was that she was last seen travelling south.

“Surely,” her friends told themselves, “she wouldn’t be so stupid.”

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 23, 2014

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I'm gonna submit a druid or warlock based on my old Marilee Starflower character.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Irmak Xorlarrin

To the Drow, surface dwellers are nothing but vile, wretched creatures, fit only for death or chains. From birth the Drow are taught this, and until death they live steadfast in this belief.

Well, most of them, anyway.

It was nine years ago that Irmak first met a human that changed her mind. Sent to the surface city of Darrormar, the young Drow was tasked with assassinating a Tethyrian diplomat harboring particularity strong opinions on her race. But Irmak was inexperienced, and a misstep on ancient stonework sent her plunging head first into a guard-infested feast in the grand hall. Cut from the thrown china of guests, stabbed by royal guards, pelted with bolts and even attacked by dogs, her short life would have come to an end in that escape if it wasn't for the cocky thief with the blue eyes who happened to be lifting valuables from a few rooms away. It was strange, she thought as she went limp from blood loss, that someone would actually help her like that.

Irmak awoke in an abandoned tailor's shop in the slums. Bandaged profusely with every movement a nightmare of pain, she had no choice but to chat with her "captor," and though retaining her race's inherent hatred at first, began to warm up to the sarcastic burglar in dark gray. He called himself Kir, and once she was out of bed, taught Irmak the city at night: Roof running, sneaking past guards, lifting goods, picking locks— In months the Drow was becoming quite the burglar herself. With the home city no doubt thinking her dead as well, Irmak began to build a new life, and with it, a new love.

It was by chance they ran into the assassins during that job. More Drow had been sent up from below to deal with a group of adventurers that had desecrated a temple of Lolth, and among them was Irmak's brother. From up on the rooftops he saw, to his disbelief, his still living sister and a wretched human share a kiss before making their way through the open window of the Drow's targeted inn. Irmak didn't hear them when they came up behind Kir, and only turned when she heard the thunk of a curved dagger shoved through her lover's heart. Her scream awoke the entire inn, and with hateful Drow and angry adventurers coming in from all sides, Irmak could only leap out the window and run off into the shadows of the night.

It was a few months later that she began to notice the child. Scared, alone, and with no place to accept them both, Irmak was forced to leave her newborn at a temple and set off for other lands, some place where she could escape this broken life and make a new one her child could be proud of. It's this goal that has brought her to Greenest, with rumors of treasure keeping the fire burning inside.

quote:

Irmak Xorlarrin
Female Elf Charlatan Rogue 1
Neutral

Stats
Strength 12 (+1)
Dexterity 17 (+3)
Constitution 10 (+0)
Intelligence 14 (+2)
Wisdom 8 (-1)
Charisma 14 (+2)

Height: 5' 1"
Weight: 110 lb
Eyes: Red
Hair: White
Skin: Black

Maximum Hit Points: 8

Speed: 30 feet

Armor Class: 14 = 10 + 1 [leather] + 3 [dexterity]

Proficiency bonus: +2
Initiative modifier: + 3 = + 3 [dexterity]
Attack (handheld / thrown): + 3 = + 2 [proficiency] + 1 [strength]
Attack (missile / finesse): + 5 = + 2 [proficiency] + 3 [dexterity]
Strength save: + 1 = + 1 [strength]
Dexterity save: + 5 = + 2 [proficiency] + 3 [dexterity]
Constitution save: + 0
Intelligence save: + 4 = + 2 [proficiency] + 2 [intelligence]
Wisdom save: -1 = -1 [wisdom]
Charisma save: + 2 = + 2 [charisma]

Carry: 180 lb or less unencumbered

Languages: Common, Elvish, Undercommon, Drow Sign Language

Weapon proficiencies: Simple weapons, longsword, short sword, longbow, shortbow, hand crossbow

Attacks

Unarmed strike [+3 to hit; 1+1 bludgeoning]

Dagger [+5 to hit; 1d4+1 piercing, 1 lb, finesse, light, thrown (range 20/60)]

Rapier [+5 to hit; 1d8+3 piercing, 2 lb, finesse]

Crossbow, hand [+5 to hit; 1d6+3 piercing, 3 lb, ammunition (range 30/120), light, loading]

Leather armor [light; + 1 AC; 8 lb.]

Skills

code:
Skill Name | Key Ability | Skill Modifier | Ability Modifier | Trained? | Misc. Modifier

Acrobatics   Dex 	   5 = 	            +3                 +2

Animal Handling Wis        -1 =             -1

Arcana       Wis           2 = 	            +2

Athletics    Str           1 = 	            +1

Deception    Cha           4 = 	            +2                 +2

History      Int           2 =              +2

Insight      Wis 	   -1 =             -1

Intimidation Cha           2 = 	            +2

Investigate  Int           9 =              +2                 +2 	 +5 [expertise]

Medicine     Wis           -1 =             -1

Nature       Int           2 =              +2

Perception   Wis           -1 =             -1

Performance  Cha            2 =             +2

Persuasion   Cha            9 =             +2                 +2 	 +5 [expertise]

Religion     Int            2 =             +2

Search       Int            2 =             +2

Sleight of Hand Dex 	    5 =             +3                 +2

Stealth      Dex 	    10 =            +3                 +2        +5 [expertise]

Survival     Wis            -1 =            -1
Racial Traits

Advantage on saving throws against being charmed; immune to magical sleep

Instead of sleeping, spend four hours in a sleep-like state but remain fully aware of surroundings.

Darkvision -- see in black and white to 120 feet even in darkness.

Advantage on perception (wisdom) checks, except in sunlight

Disadvantage on attack rolls, perception (wisdom) and search (intelligence) checks in sunlight.

Advantage on saving throws against being charmed; immune to magical sleep.

Dancing lights, faerie fire 1/day (level 3), darkness 1/day (level 5), charisma is magic ability.

Personality

Background: Charlatan

Favorite Con: I cheat at games of chance.

Personality trait: Sarcasm and insults are my weapons of choice.

Ideal: Aspiration. I’m determined to make something of myself.

Bond: Somewhere out there, I have a child who doesn’t know me. I’m making the world better for her.

Flaw: I’m convinced that no one could ever fool me the way I fool others.

Equipment

Leather armor 10 lb
Rapier 2 lb
Dagger x2 2 lb
Hand Crossbow 3 lb
Crossbow bolts (quiver of 20) 2 lb
Backpack 5 lb
Bag of 1,000 ball bearings 1 lb
10 feet of string
Bell
Candles x5
Crowbar 5 lb
Hammer 3 lb
Pitons x10
Hooded lantern 2 lb
Flasks of oil x2 2 lb
Dragonchess set (proficient) 1/2 lb
Mess kit 1 lb
Playing cards (proficient)
Rations (1 day) x10 20 lb
Rope (50', hempen) x1 10 lb
Tinderbox 1 lb
Waterskin 5 lb (full)
Disguise kit (proficient) 3 lb
Healer kit 1 lb
Thieves' tools (proficient) 1 lb

Trinket: An empty silver snuffbox bearing an inscription on the surface that says "dreams"

75.5 lb/180 lb

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
I'll see about a warlock. I know nothing about 5e other than what was in the playtest, so I have no idea if they are decent/fun to play.

Otherwise, maybe a druid?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Reminder, I'm picking on Sunday and the game will be up shortly after that.

Good apps, I'm surprised there's this much interest in a 'real' 5e game already.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.

Baern Shadowiron
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=19779

Drik Hargunen appeared, in comparison to other Druegar cities, almost accepting to other races. At least in the sense that they'd allowed humans or certain other races to live within its walls without enslaving them first. In reality, the city of Runescribed Halls was just as dangerous to live in for a non Druegar as the others. Still, having grown there gave Baern an advantage in his eventual exile, in that he at least had some inkling of how to deal with a non-dwarf without a breakout of violence.

The Shadowirons had a rich tradition of producing magic users, and Baern was expected to follow in the footsteps of his clan by pacting with the patron demon of the family when he came of age. Not one of the brightest of gems in the pile, his studying for the rite took him down an odd path through various old books in the family library, and instead of reading about Asmodeus, learned of the existence of the Far-Realm, from which his ancestral enemies the Illithids come from. Something, and he's still not sure what, recognized his presence then and subtly made contact for the briefest of moments.

On the day of the pact, much to the horror of the witnesses of his clan, Baern instead invoked his new contact in the Far realm. Though he gained power, it was unacceptable, and even considered a betrayal of his race. A black mark on the family, he was tatooed as an exile and criminal, and kicked out of his home and city, implicitly put to death by exposure to the perils of the Underdark. In what could possibly be a brief moment of intelligence, he remembered lots of the stories of the few humans that would live or trade in Drik Hargunen, and he worked his way gradually to the surface to escape, figuring he had better chances under the stinging glare of the sun and endless sky than alone underground.

In a sense, he was right. The animals of the surface were much easier to deal with than the things that lived underground. And with his new powers from his unknown patron it was fairly easy for him to simply blast away anything that would attack him, or to find things to hunt and eat. He avoided others for the most part, save to rarely trade for things he couldn't find in the wild, and would have to constantly travel to avoid any who would attack him for his heritage. He arrived in Berdusk finally, saying relatively little and generally keeping hidden under his rather noticable bear head hooded cloak to try to avoid the sun as much as possible, and left with the caravan to travel further southward, moving ever further away from his lost home.

IPlayVideoGames fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 24, 2014

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Marilee Starflower
Level 1 Archfey Pact Warlock

Born into the noble Starflower family of Baldur's Gate, Marilee had always enjoyed the life in the city's high society. Dresses, banquets, balls, but also performing charities and stealing away in the night with friends and exploring the city. It came as a shock when her parents decided to leave it all behind to "go home" to the Misty Forest in what could be described as a mid-life crisis fueled snap decision. Her older brother Ivellios was old enough to insist on staying and continuing the family's fine carpentry business, but Marilee had no choice but to go with them.

Life in the Misty Forest was not to Marilee's tastes. Her parents had chosen to go all out on the "leaving material things behind" thing and joined a druidic circle as acolytes. She could have coped, had the druids not discovered her magic talents and tried to teach her in their ways.

Eventually, she had enough and decided to run away, back to civilization, back to Baldur's Gate, back home. On her way out of the Misty Forest, she got lost in the eponymous mist. Suddenly, she was standing before the most graceful and beautiful woman she had ever seen. She immediately knew she was not an elf, but a fey, old and powerful. In fact, she could feel her power through a strange sense of connectedness. The fey introduced herself as Ashaynae, and told Marilee about her ambition of increasing her influence in the mortal world through a select chosen vessels of her power - such as Marilee. She would let her go and lend her further power if she agreed to serve her. Left with little choice and hoping to escape Ashaynae's influence by getting back south, Marilee agreed.

Returning to Baldur's Gate, Marilee found her brother had married and fathered a small child, reconnected with old friends, and just enjoyed being back. Recently, however, Ashaynae has been calling to her in her dreams, telling her to prepare for travel, for adventure, and for battle. Now the Archfey has guided her towards Greenest, but has not yet revealed what Marilee's purpose here will be.

Character Sheet is basically complete (only missing my choices for bonus languages)

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 24, 2014

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Darvin

His hat low on his head, Darvin stares out at the road, thinking about the burned inn they passed and what brought him to this point. The hat's not entirely fashionable, but at least it covers the tops of his ears, and so long as those were covered, he could pass for human. He isn't ashamed of his heritage, exactly, but it makes it easier. There are still places where humans look down on those with elven blood. Places like Amn, where he was happy to get out of. That's why he was here, after all, in this gods-forsaken caravan on this gods-forsaken road heading to gods-forsaken Greenest. "You better have that wand, Kelvor", Darvin mutters to himself. The wand was why he was on the road in the first place. Kelvor was an associate...no, associate was too strong. It implied that Darvin actually tolerated the man...an individual in Iriabor who, if he were to be believed, had a wand that could control undead that Darvin could have for cheap. Darvin wasn't sure. Kelvor was, after all, a cheat and a liar. But, in addition to that, Kelvor also had a tendency to get his hands on some pretty useful items, if you weren't too curious as to where you got them from. Not that Darvin knew whether or not he could even use the wand to its full extent. He was a mage, but not a very skilled one.

Darvin's father was a Thayan; supposedly a Red Wizard, not that that meant anything any more, given what Thay had become. Darvin suspected that was a lie, at any rate. His father was a drunk with a gift for self promotion who knew a little magic. Not that it ever helped him any. They were poor enough, and what money they got their hands on, he drank away. Leaving the old man was the smartest thing Darvin ever did. Still, his father had taught him the basics of magical theory, at least. Darvin's mother was an elf...he knew that much from his ears, his slight build, and his height. More than that, though, he didn't know. He didn't even know her name or if she were still alive; the old man never talked about her, except when he was drunk enough, and then it was half sobbing, half angry gibberish, if Darvin was lucky, a punch or slap with the open hand if he wasn't. So, Darvin's mother was a subject best avoided. It was fine with Darvin....she had never done anything for him besides give him birth and guarantee he didn't have to shave too frequently.

pre:
Darvin
Half-Elf
Wizard
6 hp (1d6+X HD)
AC 11
Initiative: +1

Skills:

Arcana
Insight
Deception
Slight of Hand
Persuasion
Investigation

Profs:

Weapons (Daggers, Darts, Slings, Quarterstaffs, Light Crossbows)
Tools (Disguise Kit, Forgery Kit)

9 Str (-1)
12 Dex (+1)
10 Con (+0)
13 Wis* (+1)
16 Int* (+3)
16 Cha  (+3)

Common, Common, Elvish, Draconic
Background: Charlatan-I put on new identities like clothes.
Feature: False Identity

Personality Traits: Flattery is my preferred trick for getting what I want.  I'm a born gambler
Ideals: I'm a free spirit-no one tells me what to do
Bonds: I fleeced the wrong person and must work to ensure that this individual never crosses paths with me
Flaw: I'm always in debt

Equipment:

Set of fine clothes, Disguise kit, Set of Weighted dice, Belt pouch with 15 gp, Dagger, Component pouch
Explorer's pack, spellbook

Spell Book:
Cantrips: Fire Bolt, Friends, Minor Illusion
1st level spells known: Charm Person, Sleep, False Life, Disguise Self, Fog Cloud, Mage Armor

Racial Traits

Fey Ancestry- Advantage on saving throws against being charmed; immune to magical sleep
Darkvision -- see in black and white to 60 feet even in darkness.
Skill Versatility-Gain proficiency in two skills of my choice

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 24, 2014

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

Galador Lorithon
Level 1 Life Cleric of Eldath

Living for 403 years in the isolated community of Felenir in the High Forest, Galadaor had a reputation in his village as an experienced healer and a wise elder. Viewed as a grandfatherly figure by much of the community, he worked as a healer as well as a priest of the goddess Eldath, though he wielded no divine powers.

Dedicated but serene, Galador spent much of his time working, either directly in tending to the sick or injured, or in pursuing his studies of his people's martial and academic disciplines. Became skilled with sword and bow, he also learned to play the viol with some success.

Content with a life of contemplation and service, Galador never envisioned himself anywhere but Felenir. All that was turned on its head when he received a vision from his goddess. He dreamt of the reflecting pool in the shrine he had built to her, and her voice echoed forth from the water, "You must go out. You must serve those truly in need, beyond the small borders you have known. The wider world needs you, and I shall be by your side as you venture forth".

Awaking feeling invigorated as he never had before, Galador made preparations to follow the will of his deity. Two days later he stood, for the first time in his four centuries, beyond the borders of his village. Each night he prayed for guidance and sought signs from the stars to guide him. Cresting a hill, he spotted a town in the distance. He made his way for Greenest, ready to see what the world had to offer.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Angela, Tiefling Rogue

Background tomorrow

pre:
Name: Angela
Race: Tiefling
Class: Rogue
Level: 1
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Height: 5'5"
Weight: 115 lbs.
Eyes: Gold
Hair: Blonde
Skin: Red
--------------------------------------------
STR: 10 (+0) Save: +0
DEX: 15 (+2) Save: +4
CON: 13 (+1) Save: +1
INT: 15 (+2) Save: +4
WIS: 08 (-1) Save: -1
CHA: 14 (+2) Save: +2
HP: 9/9
Hit Dice: 1d8
AC: 14
Initiative: +2
speed: 30 ft.
Proficiency Bonus: +2
Proficiencies:
	Armor: Light armor
	Weapons: simple weapons, hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, shortswords
	Tools: Thieves' Tools, Three-Dragon Ante set
Languages: Common, Infernal
Attacks:
	Unarmed Strike [+2 to hit; 1 bludgeoning]
	Dagger [+4 to hit; 1d4+2 piercing, finesse, light, thrown (range 20/60)]
	Shortsword [+4 to hit; 1d6+2 piercing, finesse, light]
	Shortbow [+4 to hit; 1d6+2 piercing, Ammunition (range 80/320), two-handed]
Acrobatics (DEX):           +4
Animal Handling (WIS):      -1
Arcana (INT):               +2
Athletics (STR):            +0
Deception (CHA):            +4
History (INT):              +2
Insight (WIS):              -1
Intimidation (CHA):         +2
Investigation (INT):        +4
Medicine (WIS):             -1
Nature (INT):               +2    
Perception (WIS):           -1
Performance (CHA):          +2
Persuasion (CHA):           +2
Religion (INT):             +2
Sleight of Hand (DEX):      +4
Stealth (DEX):              +4
Survival (WIS):             -1

Passive Wisdom (Perception): 9
Background: Criminal
Criminal Specialty: Pickpocket
Personality Traits: 
	I would rather make a new friend than a new enemy.
	The best way to get me to do something is to tell me I can't do it. 
Ideals: Freedom. Chains are meant to be broken, as are those who would forge them.
Bonds: Someone I loved died because of a mistake I made. That will never happen again.
Flaws: If there's a plan, I'll forget it. If I don't forget it, I'll ignore it.
Features & Traits
Darkvision: can see in dim light within 60 feet as if it were bright 
   	light and darkness as if it were dim light; cannot see colors in 
    	darkness, only shades of gray.
Hellish Resistance: Resistance to fire damage
Infernal Legacy: 
	Cantrip: Thaumaturgy
	3rd level: Hellish Rebuke as a 2nd-level spell once daily
	5th level: Darkness once daily 
Sneak Attack: extra 1d6 damage with finesse or ranged weapon if:
	you have advantage on the attack roll
	or
	another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, isn't 
   	  incapacitated, and you don't have disadvantage on the attack roll
Thieves' Cant: Can convey secret messages and understand secret signs 
	and symbols in thieves' cant. Takes four times as long to convey
 	messages in thieves' cant than to speak them plainly.
Equipment
Shortsword (2 lb.)
Shortbow (2 lb.) 
Quiver (1 lb.) of 20 arrows (1 lb.)
Burglar's Pack
    Backpack (5 lb.) + (27.5/30 lb.)
	1,000 Ball Bearings (2 lb.)
	10 ft. String
	Bell
	5 Candles 
	Crowbar (5 lb.)
	Hammer (3 lb.)
	10 Pitons (2.5 lb.)
	Hooded Lantern (2 lb.)
	2 Flasks of Oil (2 lb.)
	5 Days Rations (10 lb.)
	Tinderbox (1 lb.)
    50 ft. Hempen Rope (10 lb.)
Leather Armor (10 lb.)
2 Daggers (2 lb.)
Thieves' tools (Proficient) (1 lb.)
Three-Dragon Ante set (Proficient)
Dark Common Clothes w/ Hood (3 lb.)
Belt Pouch (1 lb.)
	14 gp 
Cantrips: Thaumaturgy

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alethra Kolagar

Alethra was born in Tantras, a foundling on the doorstep of the Temple of Torm's Coming. She grew up in the church of the True. Through the careful teachings of Torm's priests. Alethra grew up with a sense of duty and justice, balancing childhood play with rituals of devotion and prayer. The young girl was too adventurous for many of the priests - agile and a climber where an acolyte would study and sit, and quick to play-fight with anyone and everyone. Her passion for athleticism was so continual that it began to be a distraction to some of the priests - a reenactment of the Rise and Fall of Saint Magrelor in the middle of the reading hall was the breaking point. Alethra was introduced to a Knight of the Golden Lion, one of Torm's paladins, and became his squire.

Alethra took to knighthood well, excelling in her training and drawing on her studies to learn the best way to serve the True God. To enter Torm's service fully - and to become a Sword of Torm, a sworn and full knight in his service - Alethra joined up with a force of knights traveling to Amn. Drawn there by the Cyricists among the Sothilissian Empire. this force of knights was to aid Amnian and Tethyrian forces in retaking Murann from the Great Mur. The campaign went reasonably well - the combined forces did not retake Murann, but did succeed in routing ogres and several cults of the Black Sun from the Small Teeth, reopening a land route to the duchy of Velen. The knights themselves did not fair so well, several of them falling to depravity and leaving Torm's service, while others lost track of what Alethra saw as their mission, instead concentrating on their personal glories and vices.

Alethra did partake in rooting out the Cyricist cults, fulfilling her responsibilities to Torm's Penance of Duty. However, she felt that the descent of her fellow knights betrayed the history Torm's faithful were to have learned - that they were at risk of placing their own faith and personal goals over the needs of others. Alethra accepted her place as a Sword of Torm under protest, and after the conclusion of the campaign, refused to accompany the others back to Tantras. Instead, she headed north, sure that there were many who needed her help, a sword when they could not fight for themselves, and a voice of justice in the darkness of Faerun.

Alethra is quick to act and pass judgment, often seeing things as black and white and always facing monsters head-on. She enjoys battle and adventure, fighting with a smile on her face, but she is quick to downplay her contributions and forgo recognition. To her, deeds done are more important than words - she speaks with a blade in the throat of evil, and ignores anything else that distracts from that path.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 24, 2014

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Alright it's picking time, here we go. Enough apps here for a few solid parties, so I went with a theme group. Sort of a theme, anyway.

~The Group~

We have Ander Basha, paladin of Lathander and Alethra Kolagar, paladin of Torm. Yep that's right, double paladins.

Joining them are the dragon-driven brothers, Hager and Jared. There's also Janelle the 'witch', and Zedekiah Saltport, a gentleman and a scholar.

It turns out to be an all-human group, heavily armored and not very subtle. I guess that free feat is hard to resist. Better pack some torches.

Honorable mentions go to the smoking drow for having a very 'Realms' backstory that reads like every Greenwood novel ever, and the best portrait. And a lot of other cool characters. Someone else should run 5e too.

This is a good time to take a look at each other's sheets, look for errors if you have crazy system mastery, or just get an idea of your comrades' capabilities. Right away I noticed Ander's AC is too low, it should be at least 16 from chainmail. Post some impressions of your fellows, you are all on the same caravan and have been for a few days at least.

Here's a group breakdown:
TWF paladin (two weapon fighting)
GWM paladin (great weapon master)
GWM barbarian
HAM fighter (heavy armor master) planning for wizard multiclass
warlock
druid with really high perception

If you want to change up your character, now is this time. Changes could be class/stats/build, but not the core concept. The game thread will be up later today or tomorrow.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Character sheet comments:
• Everyone seems to add up to 27 point-buy appropriately.
• Everyone (except Hager and Janelle) seems to have the appropriate amount of skill, language, tool, and save proficiencies.
• Everyone (except Hager) appears to have the correct armor class.
• Everyone appears to have the correct number of hit points, and movement speed.

Ander Basha
• Ander Basha's sheet is missing Initiative, although it is obviously +1.
• Ander Basha's 'attack' column seems off, unless there is something about the system I don't understand. It is labeled as +7 to hit with the greatsword and longsword, but I would have thought +5, being Proficiency (2) + Strength (3). Oddly the javelin ranged attack value appears to be correct at +3.

Hager
• Hager's armor class appears to be off (at 16). It appears that it should be 13, being 10 + Dexterity(2) + Constitution (1).
• Hager's background (Strongman) appears to have been retired from the PHB and Basic Rules, and was replaced with Outlander, which grants proficiency in Athletics and Survival. If I had to guess, his proficiencies are Nature and Perception (Barbarian), Intimidation (Human), and Athletics and Acrobatics (Legacy Strongman), meaning Acrobatics should technically be swapped out for Survival (Outlander). Or some similar adjustment.
• The Outlander background also provides proficiency in one musical instrument and one language of the player's choice, which Hager hasn't recorded.
• The Outlander background also provides equipment of "A staff, a hunting trap, a trophy from an animal you killed, a set of traveler’s clothes, and a belt pouch containing 10 gp." Though I can't tell if you took the package gear or purchased things, so this may be fine. I am also not sure what it would replace from the Legacy Strongman package.

Janelle
• It doesn't appear to be listed, but Janelle's saving throw proficiencies are Intelligence and Wisdom.
• Not sure I understand the skill proficiencies - you have Outlander listed, which grants proficiency in Athletics and Survival. In contrast your skill proficiencies are Insight (Druid), Perception (Druid), Stealth, Investigation, and Survival. As a human one of the latter three can obviously be dealt with there, but not sure how the other two fit in. Although you may well have already agreed to swap out the default proficiencies with these so it may be fine, just wanted to raise the question.

Interpersonal relationship comments:
Ander Basha (paladin of Lathander): Zedekiah respects the faithful of Lathander for their commitment to athleticism, as well as creativity, both of which are core to his values when practicing as an artisan, as well as when on the field of battle. The free-spirited nature of the paladin is evident, and a nice change of pace from the slightly more rigid and by-the-rules Alethra, which endears Ander to him as well. From a commercial standpoint, Zedekiah knows all too well the value of endearing himself to nobles, and thus their families, so this is also a plus that pushes him to treat the man with dignity and good cheer. Although Zedekiah doesn't necessarily agree with the strategic value of heavy weapon specialists, the paladin's strength is obvious, and for these reasons as a whole he has offered to provide at-cost blacksmithing to the paladin for the duration of their journey together.

Alethra Kolagar (paladin of Torm): Speaking purely as a smith, Zedekiah admires the workmanship of Alethra's winged helm. Given the warm relationship between Torm and the Red Knight (his own deity), he is generally friendly towards the paladin. If he is aware that Alethra is a former soldier, this would increase his respect a fair deal as well. Coupled with the fact that Alethra is clearly strong of arm and talented with a blade, he has extended an offer of at-cost blacksmithing services to the paladin for weapons, armaments, and other necessities for the duration of their journey together.

Hager (barbarian): Zedekiah finds it ironic and more than a little amusing that the so-called savage man is clearly a bit brighter than the noble-born paladin and the professional soldier, which has caused him to take a liking to the man. However, he finds it more than a little worrying that the barbarian is both a heavy weapon specialist and a warrior who shuns armor, as he can see a sad end coming for the man if he isn't careful. This opinion would not be helped if the barbarian speaks frequently of being possessed by an ancient dragon spirit, which Zedekiah would assume is due to a head injury of some sort, likely attributable to the aforementioned lack of proper armoring. Nonetheless, he will offer the fellow warrior access to his smithing talents at the cost of raw materials whenever Hager has the need, so long as they journey together.

Jager (warlock): As he is of minimal strength, with no clear martial training, Zedekiah hasn't struck up many conversations with the man. He appreciates the value of a ranged combatant if his ability to lob eldritch blasts comes up, however.

Janelle (druid): Zedekiah hasn't had any significant exposure to true druids in the past, leaving him a bit at a loss for someone who believes metal armoring to be unacceptable. Given his trade as a blacksmith, the two are obviously seeing the world through different lenses, causing him to worry a bit that their attitudes will eventually clash. However, Janelle's skills as a scout and observer are obviously top-notch from day one of their journey, resulting in him placing a fair amount of strategic value on the druid.

Other:
I made a few icons for combat, in case you don't want to make your own. People can let me know if they really want a different color border or something I suppose.

Waador fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 24, 2014

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Quick update - Arivia is going on vacation for about 2 weeks, so instead of starting Alethra right with the others, we'll add her mid-game when she returns. So none of your characters know her, yet.

The game thread is going up pretty soon today and the action starts right away so get ready!

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Waador posted:

Hager
• Hager's armor class appears to be off (at 16). It appears that it should be 13, being 10 + Dexterity(2) + Constitution (1).
• Hager's background (Strongman) appears to have been retired from the PHB and Basic Rules, and was replaced with Outlander, which grants proficiency in Athletics and Survival. If I had to guess, his proficiencies are Nature and Perception (Barbarian), Intimidation (Human), and Athletics and Acrobatics (Legacy Strongman), meaning Acrobatics should technically be swapped out for Survival (Outlander). Or some similar adjustment.
• The Outlander background also provides proficiency in one musical instrument and one language of the player's choice, which Hager hasn't recorded.
• The Outlander background also provides equipment of "A staff, a hunting trap, a trophy from an animal you killed, a set of traveler’s clothes, and a belt pouch containing 10 gp." Though I can't tell if you took the package gear or purchased things, so this may be fine. I am also not sure what it would replace from the Legacy Strongman package.

Background is player crafted (Strongman), taking only the Outlander Trait to complete the background. Since it's player made I kept it restricted to skills only, no extras. I took the raw money, which I believe means not getting the package from class or background, not entirely sure on background tho.

AC is off. Re-addressing.

e: Updated - dropped some expensive hand axes for Hide Armor, works out until I find some more money for scale.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 24, 2014

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Zedekiah Saltport (Fighter): He's far too eager to take at face value, he reminds me of the sycophants and hangers on that rushed to my brother's side so soon after my father's death. Still he's friendly, at least, and his desire to make a quick copper makes him a certain kind of reliable that Ander can anticipate. His free spiritedness is also a welcome reprieve.

Hager (barbarian): A strong warrior and good with a sword, he seems nice enough but without his brother around to talk for him he prefers to let his fists do the talking. A welome warrior to have at my back as long as he has something else to direct his aggression against.

Jared (warlock): Like his brother there is something... off, about Jared. Though nowhere near as obvious as Hager's rage, it's there. Though for the life of me I can't put my finger on it. He sheds suspicion like water off an otter. I'll need to keep an eye on him to see that he doesn't use his natural charm at the expense of others.

Janelle (druid): The druid is a mystery to me. Her independence appears to have come at the cost of any sense of how the civilized world works. Your freedom cannot come at the cost of someone else's and, survival of the fittest usually leaves the little guy in the hospital. I'll gently herd her in when necessary.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I got permission, and my Int and Wis are starred to denote save proficiency. Janelle is stealthy instead of athletic because most of her days have been spent hiding from elves and humans, while basically poaching from their lands. The 'druids' of her human family aren't actual spellcasters, just nature worshipers. Hence the witchcraft.

Javelins actually require strength for both melee and ranged uses, so all Ander's attack bonuses should be +5, and damages +3.

Excerpt from a letter:

Dear Zel,

The little knights and the smith sound like three barrel full of pennies rolling down the road. Most of what they say and do is pretty noisy and slow too, like playing cards when it's my watch. Ser Kolagar likes to spar and be very fastidious, which makes sense because she needs to keep track of two swords at once, like an elf. Hers are bigger and straighter though, not like the curved swords we trained with.

The smith, Saltport, the giant, Hager, and other knight, Basha, they just have one big heavy metal oar each that they swing around. Men. No doubt eating as much meat as they can in hopes of being able to swing around bigger and heavier swords to come, right?

I haven't been asked to spar yet, but I don't think I'd be very good at it. Nobody moves out of the way! They just touch swords and make the coin-bucket sound when they hit each other until one of them falls down. It can be interesting to watch but hardly seems practical. In the wild they'd just end up taking a dirt nap under a blanket of slingstones with a bunch of arrows sprouting straight up out of them. That's what happens when you can't fit in, I should know. I thought of showing them how to make camouflage, but they'd probably complain about how much they'd need to polish everything when they were "done" fitting in with the natural world.

Also when the smith and knights get hurt, they fix their wounds alone, they never help each other. Same thing with getting in and out of their armor. It's sad. Maybe they're all exiles too, only they forgot what it was like to be part of a tribe? Like when the smith seemed so disappointed that I didn't want any metal armor, he seemed to care more about my potential debt to him slipping away than of being useful. It was then that I decided not to ask if he knew how to make a scimitar. I'll stick to my stick.

The brothers, on the other hand, seem too close. They know each other's thoughts better than twins, and don't make any body language cues that I can see. Not only that, the children and animals treat them both with caution, at least when the little one isn't putting on a show. So I do too...

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Hager [Info/Quicklook]
HP: 13/13 (1HD) | AC: 14 | Rages: 2

This will be his the typical stat block associated with my game posts. Hager links to the character sheet, Info/Quicklook to the document where I record adventure information related to him in real time (quicker than editing character sheet).

Caravan trip:

[Mind-Dragon: "Why is that man picking his nose? This contraption is entirely too slow, do you not realize the importance of stopping the cultists?! I have bared witness to the atrocities.."]

Structured above is when the dragon speaks to the brother's minds. What one hear so does the other, provided they are within' reasonable proximity of each other. Hager has no telepathic powers but the dragon can read his thoughts. However, most of the time he will converse openly with it, caring little what people around him think.

Between the ramblings of the Dragon, the rocky dirt road and itching of his well used and frankly ragged Hide Armor, Hager grows more than a little annoyed. He leans in on his brother, Jared, "It just.. Keeps.. Talking."

Jared, his brother and companion through all of his life, is the one man in the world he can rest his trust on completely. They've been through a great deal in life. In a way, this entire adventure is just one of the many obstacles they've learned to overcome. Albeit, it is the most bizarre.

The only way to drown out the Dragon is to be distracted. Even conversation can work to block out the ramblings. Hager takes the time during this trip to get to know the others, thought not as deeply as he would like.

Ander Basha is the kind of figure he's known of before, from his brief stints with the militia back home. Self-righteous individuals are not uncommonly serving the armed forces. Their strict attitudes always rubbed him the wrong way. Yet this man betrays his appearance with.. Well, character. Far removed from the stuffy and strict outlook most Paladins take to, Hager rather enjoys the refreshing approach Ander offers when they spoke. This is a Paladin that may even be worth drinking with!

Janelle, if he's being honest, worries him. Most of his experiences with those overly fond of nature are negative - many have tried to put a stop to his foresting jobs, by force at times. The air of serenity that surround her makes him see her as more approachable, perhaps more reasonable, or at least that is the impression she leaves him. Should he get the chance, he could probably learn a lot from her on the natural world. More than his time felling trees have taught him.. But, maybe he should leave that part out.

Out of all of these, save for his brother, Zedekiah Saltport commands most his respect. Hager has a deep appreciation for the working man, and being a sellsword is as fine a job as any. In certain respects, they both share similar job descriptions, trying to get contracted by nobles and other wealthy patrons for work. He sees him as a man who will get the job done. If there was any negatives the man had, it would probably be that he was too focused on his work. This may not be a man who enjoys getting sloshed at the local tavern, less he made a fool of himself in front of potential employers.

All of those here leave him with an impression of confidence. Many of them share a bond in strength and martial prowess, a fitting group for Hager. His brother and the girl will most certainly be well protected, which eases his mind some. As the words of the Dragon creep back into his mind, the earlier agitations start to bother once more.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 25, 2014

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Lothire posted:

Hager [Info/Quicklook]
HP: 13/13 (1HD) | AC: 16 | Rages: 2

Yeah you should all do something like this.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Jared
HP: 10/10 (1HD) | AC: 13 | Spells: 1/1

Jared nods to his brother's pained words. The dragon does indeed like to talk, though for Jared there is a lot more than the dragon talking within his mind.

[Mind-to-Hager: "Yes, it does, so many thoughts.."]

Awash in his mind are the constant words of the Dragon, the thoughts of his brother, and the thoughts of others bleeding in. He can cut out most of them now, at least when near his brother, but it was quite harsh at first.

His lip trembles as the dragon inquires about his traveling companions.

[Mind-to-Dragon: "You have already spoken to my brother, you already know about our companions. Why are you so inquisitive?"]

Still he thinks on his companions.

Hager, his brother and companion, and if he is being quite honest his protector often enough. The two have been through a lot together, overcome many obstacles and gone on many adventures. Some stranger than others. But the strangest and most life altering is what happened to the two of them, this shared possession. Though Jared at least chooses not to speak of it save to his brother. Hager has been the strongarm to Jared's silver tonge often enough, and has been a great comfort as the voices assailed Jared's mind, just as Jared does his best to try and calm Hager when the dragon's rage bursts forth.

Ander Basha at first seemed like he would rub Jared the wrong way, and he may still as time goes on, since he seems to be a bit of a stiff noble. But he also seems to be a bit of a free spirit and may not be as stuffy as he first appeared. Still seems like he may have lived a luxurious life compared to the brothers though.

Janelle seems to have a gift for magic, different than what has begun to fill Jared, so he is curious, but he has noticed that she has been watching the brothers with some suspicion. So he has to watch out for that.

Zedekiah Saltport seems a bit obsessed with his merchant empire, and with steel. Jared finds the man a bit off putting, and of course they haven't spoken much so there has been little chance to changed Jared's opinion about the man, still Hager at least seems to like him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Slydingdoor raised a good point in IRC earlier today, in that I had assumed that using crafting proficiencies during one's pre-game adventuring career was normal for 5E, which I should confirm. Essentially, I had built into my character sheet that a longsword, splint mail, shield, crowbar, grappling hook, and several ball bearings were crafted using smith's artisan tools. In aggregate they would have taken 47 days to craft, and provided a cost savings to starting gold of 117.50gp as a result of only having to pay for raw material costs.

The net difference if I had purchased everything at market price is purely that I was able to afford splint mail, as opposed to settling for chain mail, for a difference of 1 AC. I am happy to revise down to chain mail if the presumption of crafting wasn't in play, so just wanted to raise it before things started to stab me.

• Locked thread