Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

Situated at the mouth of the Tithe river as it empties out into the Corare Sea, just north of the Westwood, the city of Harmuth is well-placed. From the humble origins of its discovery, the town has grown to a respectable size of almost a thousand souls. Traders from Navarene and the rest of the Steadfast congregate here, all hoping for the ships that come from across the sea, those expected, but especially those that come like lightning from a clear sky. The great boughs of the Westwood are sent here for processing before being sent up river or to other shores. But perhaps most important is the city underground.

Beneath the stones lie ancient buildings and ruins, a treasure trove of lost knowledge and esoteric numenera. The Old City, as it is called, extends far beyond the present borders of the town, though no man knows just how far. You have come to Harmuth for any number of reasons peculiar to yourselves, but first of all you have heard that the Ealdorman Stenwith has proclaimed that those individuals with experience in the realm of numenera will be paid to help with the excavations of the Old City. Perhaps you've come for the shins, or for the cyphers you might find. But in any case, you have come to edge of the world.

The Usual
- So this'll be a Play-by-Post game of Numenera, featuring 4-6 adventurers exploring, fighting, and maybe being heroic here and there!
- Standard Tier One chargen from the Core book (or the Character Options pdf), but if there's a splatbook you really want to use please run it by me. You can use this as well if you don't want to forget something. I'll roll your cyphers after I make picks, but then you can roll their level.
- IRC support is vital for keeping a game running quickly and for dealing with minor questions. Click here for the channel I've set up for the game. I'm also usually found in #acolyte on synIRC as well.
- I'll keep recruitment open for a week and a half or so, depending on interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.
The internet problems that cut Vortex short are all fixed up, so I might as well get back in a Numenera game! Expect a character here soon, probably a Jack.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

saberwulf posted:

The internet problems that cut Vortex short are all fixed up, so I might as well get back in a Numenera game! Expect a character here soon, probably a Jack.
Wunderbar! Real talk, I'd love to get back into Vortex if you're still interested in GMing. I had a lot of fun with Bardakos and the others.

Also, in case anyone's interested in the additional descriptors in the Character Options book, here's an imperfect list, if something catches your eye, let me know and I can grab the info!
pre:
Descriptors
Clumsy  Craven  Cruel  Dishonorable  Doomed  Driven  Empathic  Exiled  Foolish  Guarded  Hardy  Hideous  Honorable
Impulsive  Inquisitive  Mad  Naive  Noble  Perceptive  Resilient  Tongue-Tied  Vengeful  Wealthy  Weird

Foci
Battles Automatons  Consorts With the Dead  Constantly Evolves  Defends the Weak  Exists in Two Places at Once
Explores Deep Waters  Fights Dirty  Focuses Two Personalities  Fuses Mind and Machine  Hunts Abhumans
Hunts Mutants  Masters Insects  Metes Out Justice  Moves Like a Cat  Needs No Weapon  Never Says Die
Performs Feats of Strength  Possesses a Shard of the Sun  Reforges Completely  Sees Beyond
Separates Mind From Body  Siphons Power  Stands Like a Bastion  Throws With Deadly Accuracy
Travels Through Time

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

saberwulf posted:

Arkaine is still available. :cry:

Anyway, I'll probably app a nano to this!

Edit: Will you tell me more about Consorts With the Dead, Possesses a Shard of the Sun, and Travels Through Time?

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 23, 2014

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

QuantumNinja posted:

Edit: Will you tell me more about Consorts With the Dead, Possesses a Shard of the Sun, and Travels Through Time?
Sure thing! I'm not sure how :filez: it is to post screenshots, so I'ma hold off on that for now, but I'll give you an overview.
Consorts With the Dead: Necromancy! Tier 1 gives you a 2 Intellect ability to speak to the dead, Tier 2 lets you animate a small dead creature, Tier 3 has you read the energies of a room to ask questions of the GM, 4 is like 2, but a level 3 one now, 5 is 6 Intellect to freeze anything you gaze at in fear, and 6 is like 2, but level 5 creatures.
Possesses a Shard of the Sun: You get extra equipment of a lens that doubles the range of light shone through it. Your esoteries use light and heat instead of other elements. At Tier 1, you're trained in all perception tasks involving sight, and you have a 1 Intellect ability to make something light up into a short-range torch. At 2 you can spray light at an opponent for 2 Int, dealing 2 damage and reducing their abilities. Tier 3 is a 5 damage light beam. Tier 4 is a spot of sunlight that can illuminate up to 1000 feet. Tier 5 lets you bend light around you so you can disappear for 4 Intellect points. And at 6 you can spend 6 points so your body can dissolve into photons and travel to a location you choose and then reform.
Travels Through Time: Pretty self-explanatory. You get 2 additional oddities. At Tier 1 you can spend 1 Int to look into the future and gain an asset on a task. Tier 2 lets you spend 4 Int to look into the past related to a single object. Tier 3 lets you spend 5 Int to accelerate through time, giving you and 1 other assets on all tasks for 1 minute, but afterwards you are exhausted for 1 hour, making your tasks 1 step more difficult. Tier 4 is 7 Int to dislocate yourself in your present location to observe unseen either one hour in the past or the future. You stay there until you reach the present or it reaches you. Tier 5 is 7 Int to call in A FUTURE VERSION OF YOURSELF to help you. They appear anywhere in immediate range and last for 1 round, they share all your present stat pools, and when they disappear, you disappear and reappear where they were. If an attack of sufficient damage to kill them hits, they die, but you don't die until you disappear. At Tier 6 you(and up to 3 others) spend 10+ Int to travel through time 10 years past or future at the same spot, plus 10 years per level of Effort. When you arrive you're all stunned for 1 minute. In order to return you need to use the skill again.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.
I'm planning a Perceptive Nano who Travels Through Time. Original character, do not steal. :v:

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Ah, what the hell. I'm tentatively planning a Mystic Nano who Talks to Machines, who'd I'd play as a machine spirit animist shaman.

I am curious about the "Weird" descriptor and the "Exists in Two Places at Once," "Fuses Mind and Machine," "Sees Beyond, and "Separates Mind From Body" foci.

Oh, will it be a problem that I know nothing about this game apart from what I read in the player's guide?

Haystack fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 23, 2014

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm taking the descriptions of particular things in the rulebook in a very "Your Glorantha Will Vary" sense, so the important thing is to be true more to the spirit of the setting than to any particular point of it.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Dropping in with Custo or one of his mechanical buddies if that's OK, unless Vortex picks back up. Character will be either a eso jack or researchy nano!

I can also help with questions and stuff, I'm in a eu timezone but i can post several times a week usually.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Glad you saw this AzMiLion! I hope the rest of the Vortex crew sees this is available as well. I will say though, I'm getting many more folks telling me they're planning on making nanos rather than jacks or glaives, so keep that in mind!

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
How tied are you to backgrounds as part of descriptors?

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Charus Loryn
The Mad Jack who Exists Partially Out of Phase

Charus Loryn had a happy childhood, if not a traditional one. His mother was a juggler, and his father a storyteller, and they were travellers with the Sheryn Theatrics Company, a collection of minstrels and performers tied primarily to Navarene. He saw the entire kingdom as a child, from the great halls of Charmonde and its Asaranti University, where his mother taught him to juggle on a quad of fresh-mowed redgrass, to Shallamas, the City of Echoes, where he learned improvisation through enacting characterizations of the scenes reflected onstage, to the mysterious and unruly Westwood, where his father showed him how to fight with a blade as well as most.

It was also in Shallamas that he lost part of himself to one of these echoes, and began to exist partially out of phase. He was, aged sixteen, reciting the second monologue of Gallarant Lens, wherein Gallarant pontificates on the truth of his magical new lens and how the truths it reveals haven't made his life better, as he had the previous night, when his own echo appeared. There, center-stage, he stood, as the first day he arrived, and began in on the same monologue. Never one to be shown up, even by himself, he started in on a blunt characterization of himself, much to the crowd's amusement. That was, until they touched, and suddenly neither of them were particularly... solid. He watched in awe at the echo took part of him with it and vanished from the stage, and the awe turned to horror when he found he couldn't hold the crystal orb so iconic of the third monologue of Gallarant Lens. The powers ebbed and flow at first, but he has in the last ten years learned to control them, taking on the very substance of Shallamas' echos at will.

His life with the Theatrics Company held him in good work and good liquor until three months ago, when he inexplicably went quite mad. They were touring the chains of villages at the base of the Obelisk of the Water God when it happened. He had gone for a stroll in the afternoon, drinking fine water from the swirling eddies formed from the Water God's might and eating echar berries and other fruits, and the day was brisk and bright and promising. But that evening, during his third stage appearance, behind a mask sculpted like a Nevajin, to impart wisdom to the other characters, when he began a tirade of truths instead, speaking of audience members had has never met and telling lies about the moon and sun that made no sense at all.

The episode was a passing one, and when the Aeon priests could not explain it, the Theatrics Company continued their acts. Unfortunately, the episode was not isolated, and they have become more frequent and severe over the last three months. They are now almost daily, and he left the Theatrics Company a month ago, unable to work at cast and crew. He left without a word, even to his parents, because in one of his fits of madness he revealed to himself the truth: there is something in the Old City that might help him, something that may explain his madness, his delirium, in the depths there. It may not be curable, but an answer would suffice him in his times of clarity. He has been traveling along the Tithe River for the last month, to Harmuth and the answers he is certain he will find. It's hard to say what he seeks, but he knows it is below, deep down.

If it isn't clear, I'm not going for batshit insane or crazy murderhobo or anything. I'm thinking something closer to the Mad Hatter, who sometimes says nonsense, and sometimes says the truth, and sometimes says the truth as nonsense (or visa versa). And sometimes I'll just slip phase out of existence, with a wink and a snicker.

Tier 1 Jack
Background: Born Lucky

Effort 1
Might 12/0
Speed 14/1
Intellect 14/0

Armour: 0
Cypher max: 2
Practiced with light and medium weapons
Fits of Insight. Whenever such knowledge is appropriate, the GM will feed you information for which there is no clear explanation as to how you could know such a thing. This is up to the GM’s discretion, but should happen as often as once each session.

Connections:
- You felt compelled by inexplicable intuition to get involved.
- You used to work with a troupe of traveling minstrels and performers, and they remember you fondly (as do people in the places you visited).
- Pick one other PC. You have known that character for a while, and he helped you gain control of your phase states.

Skills:
- Deceiving
- Flex Skill
- Numenera Knowledge
- Walk Through Walls (2 Intellect). You can slowly pass through physical barriers at a rate of 1 inch (2.5 cm) per round (minimum of one round to pass through any barrier). You can’t act (other than moving) or perceive anything until you pass entirely through the barrier. You can’t pass through energy barriers. Action.

Inability:
- Fragile Mind (mental defense +1 step)
- Erratic Behavior When you are in the presence of a major numenera discovery, or at times of great stress (such as a serious physical threat), the GM can use GM intrusion without awarding XP that directs your next action. (Oh, my, yes!)

Esoteries:
- Hedge Magic (1 Intellect)
- Trained Without Armor

Equipment:
- Clothing
- Light Armor: Leather Jerkin
- Rapier
- Bow with 12 Arrows
- Explorer's Pack
- Bag of Light Tools
- 8 Shins

Cyphers:
8, 99: Grub Armor.
Anoetic. Numenera Level: 1d6+1 2. Usable: Canister of dried worms. Effect: This cypher requires a bit of water to activate the dried worms in the can. Once activated, the grubs grow to enormous size in 1d6 rounds and swarm over the user’s body, providing +2 to Armor for one hour. Further, if the user is targeted by an effect that specifically affects a single creature, such as something that controls or reads her mind, one of the grubs is affected instead, effectively rendering the user immune to such things for the duration. This does not apply to straightforward physical attacks of any kind.
15, 56: Projectile Module (Teleport).
Occultic. Level: Numenera Level: 1d6+1 5. Usable: Small metal and synth plate. Effect: This cypher must be attached to another cypher or artifact (a level 4 task) that fires solid projectiles, like a slugspitter or a compactor. Once attached, it no longer counts against a character’s cypher limit. The projectile(s) of the cypher or artifact it is attached to now teleport through barriers to get to the target, but the target must be seen. The attack ignores Armor and can even pass through solid barriers. The module cannot be removed from the device without destroying both the module and the device.
Oddities:
Oddities: 2#1d100 75 77
- Pair of tiny metal rods that, when brought within 1 inch (2.5 cm) of each other, vibrate exactly fifteen minutes before the sun rises
- Bottle of twenty-four pills that make you vividly dream about your favorite memory when you next sleep (SO GOOD)

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 28, 2014

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

I am a Mechanical Jack who Wields to Weapons at Once.

R-101 "Zulfikar"

Waking up after decades, eons, millenia. Times unkown at the very least, R-101 found two things remaining in his memory, his name and something only translatable to the Old City. R-101 set out about freeing himself from his predicament and escaping from his metal coffin. Realizing that his synthskin was damage, he removed most of it as to not have it get caught on his armor plating.
R-101 set off into the world, heading to the place known as the Old City, working as a caravan-guard for different groups along the way, honing his skills with the pole-arm and earning him his two swords, Moonlight and Sunshine. Upon reaching the city, Zulfikar set out to the Old City, wanting to know why it's the only thing he remembers.

Links/Connections
1) Upon rebooting the only coordinates in my databanks were this town(Mechanical)(I have corrupted data with the only recovareble entry pointing to The Old City)
2) You used to work with a troupe of traveling minstrels and performers, and they remember you fondly (as do people in the places you visited)(I met Susan and G4:1 here)
3)Pick one other PC. You have trained with this character so much that if the two of you stand back to back in a fight, you both gain a +1 bonus to Speed defense tasks. (G4:1)

Tier 1
Effort 1

XP expenditure log
Tier 1
-
-
-
-

Pool/Edge
Might 15 1
Speed 11
Intellect 12 0

Skills:
Trained
Ⓣ Mechanic
Ⓣ Sense Magic
Ⓣ Numenera Training

Specialized
-
-
-

Inabilities and Drawbacks
Ⓘ Unnerving aura (Charm, persuasion, deception +1 step)

Abilities

Ⓔ Flex Skill
Ⓔ Practiced With Light/Medium Weapons
Ⓐ Hedge Magic (1 intellect)
Ⓔ Dual Light Wield
Ⓔ Practiced in Armor
Ⓣ Sabotage from Character Options

Esotery
-Hedge Magic

Cyphers 2

Oddity 2
Equipment
-Light Armor(R-101 "Zulfikar" Armor plating
-Explorers Pack
-Bag of Light Tools
-Clothing(Travelling allweather cloak)
-8 Shins

Weaponry
-Light Bladed(Butterfly Sword - Sunshine)(2 damage)(1 step lowered)
-Light Bladed(Butterfly Sword - Moonlght)(2 damage)(1 step lowered)
-1x medium BLaded(Pole-arm)(4 damage)
[/quote]

AzMiLion fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 2, 2014

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Susan-Who-Goes

Susan is a Mystical Nano who Talks to Machines

Susan was the one of three apprentices initiated by her clan's elder shaman. She worked and she strived, but she failed a key test, and thus was fated to be The One of the Three Who Would Go, as is Tradition. Accepting her fate, Susan completed her training and departed from her people, following signs and portents. She's arrived at Harmuth, certain that her spirits are leading her to great things.

Physically, Susan is a short, lean young woman with olive skin. She has close cropped hair and a broad, stern face. Her clothes are simple and naturalistic in construction but well made and heavily embellished, designed to show off her arms. All of this is overshadowed by her tattoos, which are by far her most distinctive features. Susan's tattoos are clearly numenera, and would be fantastic even if they stayed in one place. The tattoos seem to have a mind of their own, from time to time varying wildly in shape, color, velocity and sometimes even in texture and luminosity. Most frequently they form a sparse pattern of static, abstract lines and pictographs that shift abruptly from moment to moment.

Indeed, the tattoos are at the core of Susan's powers. They shift into distinct patterns when she uses her esoteries, and will become noticeably more complex and distinct as she develops. In practical terms, the tattoos are the surface manifestation of a symbiotic numenera that pervades her body, granting her access to her arcana. For her part, Susan considers her tattoos to be her Fetch: her external soul manifested onto her skin.

Links/Connections:
1) The spirits have spoken: this is where I must be(M/M)[Signs/portents/dream]
2) You hail from a distant land where you were well known and regarded, but people here treat you with suspicion.(NANO)
3) Pick one other PC. He seems especially leery of you, though this could just be your perception

Tier 1 Nano
Background: Plugs and Ports (As magic tattoos)

XP expenditure log:
Tier 1
-
-
-
-

Pool/Edge:
Might 10
Speed 11
Intellect 15/1

Effort 1
Armour: 0

Skills:
Ⓣ All tasks involving electrical machines
Ⓣ Sense Magic
Ⓣ Numenera Training

Inabilities and Drawbacks:
Ⓘ Unnerving aura (Charm, persuasion, deception +1 step)

Abilities:
Ⓔ Practiced With Light Weapons
Ⓐ Hedge Magic (1 intellect)
Ⓔ Machine Affinity
Ⓐ Distant Activation (1 intellect)

esoteries:
- Hedge Magic (1 Int)
- Onslaught (1 Int)
- Resonance Field (1 Int)

Cyphers (max 3): 3(4)
- Reproductive Sac. Occultic, Level 4. Usable: An expandable organic sac Effect: This organic device allows a character to reproduce asexually. First the sac is grafted onto a character for 28 hours. Then it is removed and placed in a warm, moist environment. Half a year later, it bursts open and reveals a living, infant clone of the character.
- Disrupting Nodule. Anoetic. Level: 2. Usable: Crystal nodule affixed to a melee weapon Effect: For the next 28 hours, each time the weapon the nodule is attached to strikes a solid creature or object, it generates a burst of nanites that directly attack organic cells. The affected target takes 1 additional point of damage and loses his next action.
- Bloom (Fireflower). Anoetic Level: 10 Usable: Ceramic, glass, or other breakable material in the shape of a flower or seed pod with a fuse stem (lit and then thrown or launched, long-range) Effect: Ten seconds after the fuse is lit, the device explodes, sending shards of red-hot glass out into the pattern of a flower. Any living creature that comes into contact with falling or spraying shards suffers burn damage equal to the cypher level.

Oddity: 2
- A ball of fur that squeals when submerged in water
- Eye lenses that glow in the dark

Equipment:
- Bag of Light Tools
- Book (numenera)
- Clothing
- 4 Shins

Weaponry:
-Hatchet (2 damage)

Haystack fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 3, 2014

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

QuantumNinja posted:

How tied are you to backgrounds as part of descriptors?
Do you mean the "Links to the Starting Adventure" stuff? If you think you can come up with something more suited to your character, feel free to write something up. I take those links the book already gives as suggestions for how players might be connected, but it doesn't have to be them. You just need to be in Harmuth and connected to the rest of the party for my purposes!

Edit: Also, for cyphers, roll 1d20 for each cypher you can carry, and then 1d100 for each.

Friar John fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 24, 2014

Blargag
Aug 24, 2014

G-4:1
The Artificially Intelligent Glaive who Siphons Energy

In a forgotten age, G-4:1 was a warrior. A defender against an invasion from another dimension, strange horrors, imprisoned long ago, trying to claw their way back into this world.

Then... something happened. Was it a simple warrior's death, on the battlefield? Was it betrayal? Did the war end? Was G-4:1's power source extracted, and used for more peaceful purposes? Swords to plougshares, so to speak?

He doesn't know. He has lain dormant, bereft of power, and inoperable, for far too long. His memory banks deteriorated through the aeons.

But then, he was found by Susan-Who-Goes. His power and his life restored, but not his purpose. A walking artifact, a relic of a bygone age. G-4:1 now follows, listens, and kills, in Susan's footsteps, always looking for a new goal in life along the way, something to strive towards, a new direction for a new life.

Standing over 6 feet tall, and at his core, physically resembling a humanoid skeleton made of metal, but with hands that have only two thick fingers, and an opposable thumb, all tipped with sharp pointy claws, and only two, almost hoof-like toes for his feet, G-4:1 wears a loose hooded robe under most circumstances, and an iron mask on (or perhaps as) his face.

pre:
Tier 1 Glaive
Background: Learning Computer (Part training, part inherent in the construction)
Effort 1
Might 18/1
Speed 15/1 (14/1 with Medium armor)
Intellect 11/0

Armor: 1 (3 with Medium armor)
Cypher max: 2
Practiced in armor.
Practiced with all weapons.

You gain the following characteristics: (Page 14 of Technology Compendium)
Superintelligent: +4 to your Intellect Pool.

Artificial Body: +3 to your Might Pool and
Speed Pool.

Shell: +1 to Armor.

Limited Recovery: Resting restores points only
to your Intellect Pool, not to your Might
Pool or Speed Pool.

Mechanics, Not Medicines: Conventional
healing methods, including the vast
majority of numenera restorative devices,
do not function to restore points to any of
your Pools. You can recover points to your
Intellect Pool only by resting, and you can
recover points to your Speed and Might
Pools only through repair.

Machine Vulnerabilities and Invulnerabilities:
Damaging effects and other threats that rely
on an organic system—poison, disease, cell
disruption, and so on—have no effect on
you. Neither do beneficial drugs or other
effects. Conversely, things that normally
affect only inorganic or inanimate objects
can affect you. Effects that can disrupt
machines affect you.

Uncanny Valley: You have a hard time relating
to organic beings, and they don’t react
well to you. The difficulty of all positive
interaction tasks with such beings is
increased by two steps.

Skills:
-Jumping
-Climbing

Inabilities:
-Swimming (Metal endoskeleton. Not exactly buoyant.)

Moves:
Fleet of Foot: If you succeed at a difficulty
2 Speed-based running task, you can move a
short distance and take an action in the same
round. Enabler.

Muscles of Iron (2 Might points): For the
next ten minutes, all Might-based actions
other than attack rolls that you attempt have
their difficulty reduced by one step. Enabler.

Equipment:
-Hooded robe
-Medium armor: Old piecemeal plate
-Heavy bladed weapon: Leaf-bladed greatsword
-Medium ranged weapon: Crossbow and 12 bolts
-Explorer’s pack
-5 Shins

Cyphers:
Dimensional Trap (Technology Compendium page 48)
Occultic Cypher
Level 6
Usable:Complex device
Effect:One creature or object within 
immediate range disappears and is drawn 
into the device, where it remains for 28 hours. 
When the effect ends, the target reappears 
in an open space (chosen by the user of the 
device) within immediate range.

Second cypher discarded for safety reasons.

Oddities:
Octagon-shaped amulet that is black during the day and sky blue at night. (Set into a cloak clasp)

Links/Connections:
Pick one other PC. This character appears to think of you as some kind of monster. (Ohrmazd)
One of the other PCs repaired me and I am in her debt. (Susan)

Blargag fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Sep 1, 2014

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Cyphers! I'll be doing this for everyone, if you give me rolls.

Custo
14, 66: Ranged Retaliator. Anoetic, Level: 1d6 + 2 Wearable: Two rings, circlets, bracelets, or belts. Effect: This cypher comes as a pair of items, but one is the master of the other. When the master item is activated, the other item pulses with electricity that inflicts damage equal to the cypher level. The master item can be activated from any range to damage the wearer of the other item.
1, 14: Armor Patch. Anoetic, Level: 1d6 Wearable: Sewn-on patch, self-stick fabric, metallic swatch. Effect: After being applied to armor of any kind, this patch activates when firmly slapped, sending tiny nanowires through the armor’s material to provide greater benefit. Roll 1d100. 01–50 Nanowires add a repellent layer to the material. Gain +1 to Armor against ranged, piercing, fire, or beam attacks for 28 hours. 51–75 Nanowires create greater flexibility in the material. Gain a +2 bonus to Speed defense rolls for 28 hours. 76–00 Nanowires create a tough outer coating to the material. Gain a +2 bonus to Might defense rolls for 28 hours. Action to attach to Armor. Activation can be combined with another action.
Oddities
69, 5. Twenty red cigarettes that, when smoked, let you exhale monstrous shapes
40, 33. A horn that, when blown, blows bubbles instead of making a sound

Susan
16/83: Reproductive Sac. Occultic, Level 1d6+1. Usable: An expandable organic sac Effect: This organic device allows a character to reproduce asexually. First the sac is grafted onto a character for 28 hours. Then it is removed and placed in a warm, moist environment. Half a year later, it bursts open and reveals a living, infant clone of the character.
6/22: Disrupting Nodule. Anoetic. Level: 1d6. Usable: Crystal nodule affixed to a melee weapon Effect: For the next 28 hours, each time the weapon the nodule is attached to strikes a solid creature or object, it generates a burst of nanites that directly attack organic cells. The affected target takes 1 additional point of damage and loses his next action.
4/30: Bloom (Fireflower). Anoetic Level: 1d6 + 4 Usable: Ceramic, glass, or other breakable material in the shape of a flower or seed pod with a fuse stem (lit and then thrown or launched, long-range) Effect: Ten seconds after the fuse is lit, the device explodes, sending shards of red-hot glass out into the pattern of a flower. Any living creature that comes into contact with falling or spraying shards suffers burn damage equal to the cypher level.
Oddities
68, 56. A ball of fur that squeals when submerged in water
49, 86. Eye lenses that glow in the dark

G-4:1
Oddities
20, 70. Octagon-shaped amulet that is black during the day and sky blue at night

Friar John fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 24, 2014

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Ohrmazd
The Mlox Glaive who Bears a Halo of Fire

Ohrmazd remembers little of his life, bar his name. He was imprisoned within a stronglass tube, buried beneath the drit of the Kataru plains.
A party of scavengers dug up his prison, hoping it contained precious Numenera, but were disappointed that he was a living creature and not an artifact.
Still, Ohrmazd was grateful for their help, and regarded them as his surrogate family, while he learned their language over many months.

When he finally understood them, he learned they saw him as little more than a slave, fit only to carry and work.
Ohrmazd left them soon afterwards, and spent his time drifting aimlessly.
During his journey he learned many things, in particular, of his third eye, of the halo of flame that he could bring forth, and of his distrust of machines.

The last he remembered more than discovered, horrific memories of his past life swimming into his head, of brothers and sisters dying at mechanical limbs and horrific Numenera. Names flash behind all three of his eyes, Melek, Ahriman, Mitra, Lotan. But they mean nothing to Ohrmazd now.

Orhmazd has come to Harmud for he has heard the old city is full of Numenera. He hopes to discover some secrets about his existence here, and he is willing to do anything to learn them. Even working with inhuman machines.

Connections:
Discover a clue to his origins in the Old City (Mlox)
Distrusts Susan for being a Kataru Nomad.
Charus Loryn is immune to his fire through a quirk of fate. (Bears a Halo of Fire)

pre:
Tier 1 Glaive
Background: Biomechanical Modification

Third Eye Closed	Third Eye Opened
Effort		1			1
Might		15/1			15/1
Speed		10/1			12/1
Intellect	07/0			07/0

Armour: 	0			1
Cypher Max: 	2			3

Practiced With All Weapons

Skills:
Jumping					Jumping
Deception, Sneaking and Camouflage	Speed Defense Tasks
Charm, Perception and Etiquette		Visual and Auditory Perception
Knowledge, Memory or Lore		Non-combat Speed and Reflexes

Inabilities:
Speed and Perception			Deception, Sneaking and Camouflage
					Charm, Perception and Etiquette
					Knowledge, Memory or Lore

Fighting Moves
No Need for Weapons
Trained Without Armour
Shroud of Flame (1 Intellect)

Equipment
- Clothing
- Explorer's pack
- A handful of small blue stones that randomly turn into sacs full of water. 
They appear to be drinkable if you open them while in their liquid state. 
- Fireproofing Artifact
- 10 Shins

Cyphers
Emoacoustic Weapon Level: 8 Wearable:Mask Usable:Handheld device 
Effect:This device allows the user to change the emotion of a single target 
in short range with a sonic burst that only the target will hear. 
The user can choose one of these emotions or states: anger, despair, fear, 
joy, calm, great hunger, and sexual arousal. This artificial state lasts 
for ten minutes (or as the situation afterward dictates).

Fallback Clone: (Occultic) Level:10 Wearable:Two headbands 
Effect:To activate this device, the user must place a few drops of blood, 
strands of hair, nail clippings, or a piece of flesh in a sealed, water-filled 
tank with one of the headbands and wear the other one. The headband in the 
tank facilitates the rapid growth of a clone in one month. The clone is a 
fully grown creature, identical in every physical way to the user. 
However, it has no consciousness and remains in a comatose state in the tank. 
Once the clone has matured, if at any time the user dies while wearing the 
headband, her consciousness is transferred into the clone, regardless of 
distance. All skills, abilities, and knowledge are transferred.
The user does not need to wear the headband throughout the process (if, 
for example, she is worried about her cypher limit), just at the beginning 
to spur the clone's growth. However, if she dies while not wearing the headband, no transfer occurs.

Data Mine (Occultic) Level: 2 Usable:Electronic bracelet,
Effect: Allows the user to tap into the mind of anyone in visual range 
and steal the target's knowledge of a skill that it is trained in. The 
user becomes trained in that skill for one hour. During that time, the 
target loses its own training in that skill. 
Cypher rolls
Cypher rolls 7, 8, 4
Cypher rolls 39, 53, 74
Oddity roll 16
Oddity roll 31
Cypher levels

Tindalos fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 25, 2014

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Working on a Mystical Jack who Works Miracles that's also heavily cribbed from Book of the New Sun's Severian, at least the "good with a blade and reads a lot" part. We'll see if I can finish in time though.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Mazu Ikate, a Ghanic Jack who Crafts Unique Objects

Life in Ghan is indivisible from the ocean. From the poorest fish cleaners and net weavers to the merchant kings and fleet admirals, everyone contributes to the Kingdom's dominance of the sea, and towards maintaining the grand fleet that allows it. And so it was aboard boats and in drydocks that Mazu grew up, honing her skills as one of Ghan's expert ship mechanics.

Put to work at a young age, Mazu set herself apart from the other, lazier children by constantly pushing forward, challenging herself to reach new heights and better steads. While this had the unfortunate side effect of falling asleep mid-job sometimes, her dedication paid off when fleet officers took note. By fourteen she was already crewed full-time, serving double duty as junior mechanic while aboard, and an apprentice Numenera engineer ashore. By seventeen she was advising tech trade and aquatic expeditions, and even joined the exploratory dive of the House of Cosmic Waters. But just as she wasn't satisfied before, Mazu still reached higher. Now twenty, Mazu has spent the last two years petitioning for command of her own ship. But with the children she brushed off years ago now skilled officers voting against her, and without the money to purchase or build her own vessel, the young engineer has set out for Harmuth, word carried down the coast of ancient treasure buried beneath the city.

quote:

Mazu Ikate
Tier 1
Effort 1

Pool/Edge
Might 11/0
Speed 13/1
Intellect 12/0

Skills

-trained in all tasks involving swimming, fishing, or fighting in water.
-trained in all tasks involving boats or watercraft of any kind.
-trained in navigating by the stars. At night, the difficulty of any task involving navigation or map reading is decreased by one step.
-Flex Skill:At the beginning of each day, choose one task (other than attacks or defense) on which you will concentrate. For the rest of that day, you’re trained in that task. You can’t use this ability with a skill you’re already trained in to become specialized.
-trained in lockpicking, the numenera, and any task that involves sabotaging an object. (From Sabotage)
-trained in identifying the function of any kind of device. (From Master identifier)
-Woodworking
-Metalworking

Inability

Something about dry land makes you feel slightly off kilter. The difficulty of all Speed-related tasks on dry land is increased by one step.

Abilities
-Practiced with Light and Medium weapons
-Pierce (1 Speed)
-Sabotage
-Master identifier

Cyphers
2/2

-Access Glasses. Anoetic. Level: 6. Wearable: Goggles plus gloves or rings. Effect: The user can see through up to half an inch of solid material and can pass his hands and anything his hands are holding through that solid matter. Once the area to be looked and passed through is chosen—about 18 inches by 18 inches (46 cm by 46 cm)—a new area cannot be chosen. However, the effect lasts for an hour.
-Goss. Anoetic. Level: 4. Usable: A small, moist tongue. Effect: To activate the cypher, the user must place it under her tongue and then speak for up to one minute. The device records everything she says. At the end of this time, she can place it anywhere she chooses. For the next day, the device repeats whatever she said in her voice and tone to anyone who moves within 10 feet (3 m) of it. Once the device repeats the recording, it makes no further noise until another creature approaches, at which point it begins the speech all over again. When the effect ends, the device breaks up into chunks of foul-smelling filth.

Oddities
3/3

-A small sphere nested within a cube, but the cube exists out of phase and cannot be touched.
-A black box from which issue faint calls of “Hello?”
-an egg-shaped, turquoise opal that always smells of sea salt. When held in the right palm, the narrow end points the way to the nearest shore. When held in the left, it points the way toward the nearest fresh water.

Equipment

-Clothing: Sun-bleached tank top and boat shorts printed with ocean designs and Ghanic script, synth sandals
-Light armor: Ghanic work suit
-Forearm blade
-Crank crossbow
-Explorer's pack
-2 bags of light tools
-Woodworking tools
-Metalworking tools
-Handmade fishing pole
-8 shins

Contacts

Captain Yo-won Silla
Discovering Mazu's talent and determination at a young age, Captain Silla's fondness for the girl was key in Mazu's quick rise through the fleet ranks. Years later, the two are still good friends, Mazu spending much of her time at sea aboard Silla's ship Aldous. Though her sponsorship of Mazu's captain rank hasn't proved fruitful, Silla is hopeful, and will help Mazu achieve her goal however she can.

Connections
Ghanic: I need money to purchase my own ship and prove I can captain in the fleet.
Jack: My older sister is a skilled nano. I wasn't able to follow her path, but the numenera is not unknown to me.
Crafts Unique Objects: [Insert PC] has an extra item of regular equipment I crafted for them. (They choose item)

Cypher rolls: 2, 5 | 1, 88
Oddity rolls: 50, 85 | 50, 9
Cypher level rolls: 6, 4

E: Added the second cypher, the connection I get from the Ghanic Descriptor and an appropriately oceany song.

saberwulf fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 28, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
I got my dice rolled!

Cyphers: 2#1d10 1 3 2#1d100 99 56

Cyphers: 2#1d20 8 15

So 8/99 and 15/56.

Edit: Whoops d20s!

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

More Cyphers!
Mazu Ikate
2, 1: Access Glasses. Anoetic. Level: 1d6 + 1. Wearable: Goggles plus gloves or rings. Effect: The user can see through up to half an inch of solid material and can pass his hands and anything his hands are holding through that solid matter. Once the area to be looked and passed through is chosen—about 18 inches by 18 inches (46 cm by 46 cm)—a new area cannot be chosen. However, the effect lasts for an hour.
5, 88: Goss. Anoetic. Level: 1d6. Usable: A small, moist tongue. Effect: To activate the cypher, the user must place it under her tongue and then speak for up to one minute. The device records everything she says. At the end of this time, she can place it anywhere she chooses. For the next day, the device repeats whatever she said in her voice and tone to anyone who moves within 10 feet (3 m) of it. Once the device repeats the recording, it makes no further noise until another creature approaches, at which point it begins the speech all over again. When the effect ends, the device breaks up into chunks of foul-smelling filth.
Oddities
50, 85: A small sphere nested within a cube, but the cube exists out of phase and cannot be touched

Charus Loryn
8, 99: Grub Armor. Anoetic. Level: 1d6 + 1 Usable: Canister of dried worms. Effect: This cypher requires a bit of water to activate the dried worms in the can. Once activated, the grubs grow to enormous size in 1d6 rounds and swarm over the user’s body, providing +2 to Armor for one hour. Further, if the user is targeted by an effect that specifically affects a single creature, such as something that controls or reads her mind, one of the grubs is affected instead, effectively rendering the user immune to such things for the duration. This does not apply to straightforward physical attacks of any kind.
15, 56: Projectile Module (Teleport). Occultic. Level: 1d6 + 1. Usable: Small metal and synth plate. Effect: This cypher must be attached to another cypher or artifact (a level 4 task) that fires solid projectiles, like a slugspitter or a compactor. Once attached, it no longer counts against a character’s cypher limit. The projectile(s) of the cypher or artifact it is attached to now teleport through barriers to get to the target, but the target must be seen. The attack ignores Armor
and can even pass through solid barriers. The module cannot be removed from the device without destroying both the module and the device.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

Eater, the Mystical Jack who Works Miracles
"When you have no options, you suddenly have all the options in the world."
A flawed understanding of that quote led a child of Aeon Priests to strike out on her own. Obsessed with the paradox inherent in the statement, she decided that by abandoning everything: name, family, past and starting from scratch, she could do anything. And she has done nearly everything in a decade-long pilgrimage taking the jack across the known world of the Steadfast and beyond. Perfecting her imperfect understanding of the Ninth World, the people who live there, the things they do and the numenera behind it all.

Along the way she's picked up a library's worth of experience with the little things when it comes to wielding a blade, interacting with previous worlds' leavings and thanks to a brush with enlightenment (brought on by exposure on a high pass through the Black Riage), the quantum reality we live in. Others think of her as a healer with numenera that undoes injries at a touch. She knows it to be more than that, a fundamental rewriting of this experience with a parallel one. Or something to that extent; she'll need to read and do more to fully grasp it. Just like everything else, its just another skill to her, not much more spectacular than training an aneen or painting a portrait.

An exasperated ex-patron once yelled at her "you're eating me out of house and home and with nothing to show for it!" She brushed off the insults to her work ethic but agreed that yes, she was voracious for learning. And food too, but trying to master everything was calorie-intensive work. Eater was a good name and so she'd add it to the list of belonging she carried along: clothes, weapons, a tattered book of proverbs and stories.

Now Eater finds herself stranded in Harmuth. Not that she sees it that way; after two years of near-continuous travel, settling down will be a novel experience. A chance to reflect on all she's seen and done. It won't be quiet of course, for life in the Ninth World rarely is. Especially for a blunt and curious jack who can be nonchalant with the power she is grasping now.

pre:
Tier 1, Effort 1

Might 13, Edge 0
Speed 12, Edge 0
Intellect 13 Edge 1

Skills
Philosophy (Jack)
Numenera Training (Descriptor)
Sense "Magic" (Descriptor)

Inability
Unnerving Aura (Charm, persuasion and deception +1 step)

Abilities
Flex Skill (Jack)
Practiced with light and medium weapons (Jack)
Hedge Magic (1 Intellect) (Descriptor)
Healing Touch (1 Intellect) (Focus)

Tricks of the Trade
Thrust (1 Might)
Trained in Intellect Defense

Equipment
Backpack
Clothing (well-worn robes)
Punching Dagger (Light, 2 damage)
Razor Ring (Light, 2 damage, short range)
Leather Jerkin (Light, 1 armor)
Two oddities
Two cyphers
Explorer's Pack
Bag of Light Tools
6 shins

Cyphers and Oddities
Numenera Net. Anoetic. Level: 6. Usable: A square of fine mesh. 
Effect: Before this device can be activated, at least three cyphers must be activated within a short distance of it. 
Once this occurs, the net becomes charged for 28 hours. The next time the user uses an occultic cypher 
while in possession of the net, he can transfer energy from the net to the cypher so that the cypher can be used one additional time.

Clamp Trap. Anoetic. Level: 5. Usable: Mouthlike metal clamp. 
Effect: When activated, this device becomes a pressure-plate trap that clamps around anything that triggers it. 
The device is similar to a bear trap, except that when it is fully activated, it becomes invisible. 
Once triggered, it inflicts damage equal to the cypher level, plus 1 additional point of damage per minute until it is removed. 

A stub of paper with writing on it that says something different to everyone who looks at it
Shirt that displays your muscles, bones, and internal organs when you wear it

Links and Connections
Eater needs money to fund her studies.
Another PC suspects Eater is a messiah or supernatural being.

Cyphers: 2#1d20 16 4 2#1d100 20 50
I think I did the dice right?

ThreeStep fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 2, 2014

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Eater
16, 20: Numenera Net. Anoetic. Level: 1d6 + 2. Usable: A square of fine mesh. Effect: Before this device can be activated, at least three cyphers must be activated within a short distance of it. Once this occurs, the net becomes charged for 28 hours. The next time the user uses an occultic cypher while in possession of the net, he can transfer energy from the net to the cypher so that the cypher can be used one additional time.
4, 50: Clamp Trap. Anoetic. Level: 1d6 + 1. Usable: Mouthlike metal clamp. Effect: When activated, this device becomes a pressure-plate trap that clamps around anything that triggers it. The device is similar to a bear trap, except that when it is fully activated, it becomes invisible. Once triggered, it inflicts damage equal to the cypher level, plus 1 additional point of damage per minute until it is removed.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Okay, sheet's up and completed. Also I think I might have screwed up the oddity roll; that was supposed to be for two separate oddities.

Edit: ˅ Ah, I'm dumb. Added a second oddity roll.

saberwulf fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 26, 2014

Blargag
Aug 24, 2014

saberwulf posted:

Okay, sheet's up and completed. Also I think I might have screwed up the oddity roll; that was supposed to be for two separate oddities.

Aye, you're supposed to roll 2#1d100 for each oddity. Don't ask me why it's a d100 to determine chart for oddities, instead of d20 like for Cyphers, but it is.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

saberwulf posted:

Edit: ˅ Ah, I'm dumb. Added a second oddity roll.
No worries!

50, 9: A black box from which issue faint calls of “Hello?”

...Well that's not unsettling at all!

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

updated Custo Zulfikar since Vortex is starting back up, he has a new soundtrack too!

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
I finished up my bio!

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Paschal "The Spiritist"
Empathic Nano Who Controls Mental Powers

"Forbidden knowledge from beyond the grave! Consult the spirits and learn secrets long denied to the living! The great Paschal will be your guide to the mysteries of the unknown. Be it lost family or the great philosophers of the past, the grand Spiritist can reach them for you. Just step this way and all will be revealed."

Perhaps the barker was a bit much, but Paschal couldn't deny the results. More business had come in during the last few hours than his entire stay in Bodrov. Suspicious bastards, even offering them supposed secrets to protect against black magic hadn't opened their purses. That always got the rubes to spend. Still, no sense dwelling on the bad days. Especially not when this one was already shaping up nicely. A few useless platitudes, some mystical looking gestures, and a few minutes grilling the mark to learn the right buttons to press turns these superstitious simpletons into coin fountains. Still, it wasn't all roses. A good day like this could easily turn sour if the wrong people felt like their bribes weren't big enough, and from Paschal's experience they never did. The petty local criminals and even more corrupt guardsmen would be in for a surprise if they tried anything though, for the big secret behind it all is that Paschal wasn't a complete charlatan. Oh he couldn't tell you the secrets of the dead anymore than he could conjure gold from his night soil, but beneath the ridiculous costume and overly dramatic demeanor he held very real powers of the mind. Powers that could kill a man as surely as a blade.

His musing is broken by the sound of boots stomping through the makeshift waiting room of his rented "sanctuary". Only then does he realize that the previously tireless barker has gone silent. Cursing inwardly at his carelessness, Paschal adopts the serene expression he has practiced so many times. "Captain, how fine to see you. Have you finally come in search of the knowledge lost to the outer realms, or is there something more mundane I might assist you with?" Though his words are placid and soothing, Paschal's eyes remain fixed on the readied blade in the man's hand. Seems it was too good a day to last after all.

Links/Connections:
1) Paschal sensed something strange in Eater's mind. Now he's sticking around to see if she's really something different or just a fellow member of the flash trade. Either way it should prove enlightening.
2) Paschal's nomadic life and low profession have made you famous and infamous in equal measure.
3) Long hours spent working and socializing with Charus has left them with a lasting mental connection. Free short range telepathy and they're immune to my Psychic Burst

Tier 1 Nano
Background: Psychic

XP expenditure log:
Tier 1
-
-
-
-

Pool/Edge:
Might 11/0
Speed 11/0
Intellect 17/1

Effort 1
Armour: 1

Skills:
All tasks involving social interaction
Numenera Training

Inabilities and Drawbacks:
Open Mind: Intellect Defense Difficulty Increases 1 Step

Abilities:
Practiced With Light Weapons
Telepathic (1 intellect)
Mental Esoteries: Automatic Training In Mind Control & Mind Reading
Minor Effect: Double Range or Duration
Major Effect: Take Another Action In Same Turn

Esoteries:
- Ward
- Onslaught (1 Int)

Equipment:
4 Shins
Book on Numenera
Travelling Clothes
Performer's Robes
Focusing Crystal in Removable Setting: +1 Int Pool (-5 if Lost and not replaced.)
Travelling Hat with Notch for Crystal Setting
Oversized Mentalist Wrap with Pin for Crystal Setting

Weaponry:
Dagger (Light)

Cyphers:
Memory Cube. Anoetic. Level: 1. Usable: Small cube made of glass or crystal. Effect: Removes one memory from the user’s mind and stores it inside the device, where it remains forever. Anyone holding the device can see a replay of the memory as the user experienced it. The user has no recollection of the memory, though she can become familiar with it through repeated viewings.

Sonic Hole. Anoetic. Level: 7. Wearable: Wristband, ring, belt-mounted device. Usable: Small handheld device. Effect: Draws all sound within long range into the device for one round per cypher level. Within the affected area, no sound can be heard.

Lutin (Light Drops). Anoetic. Level: 3. Wearable: Wristband projector (long range). Usable: Handheld projector (long range). Can also be thrown against the ground or other hard object in short range. Effect: Bursts in a cloud of contained light drops within short distance. The cloud lingers for 1d6 rounds unless conditions indicate otherwise.
Roll to determine the effect:
01–50 Blindness. Living sighted creatures are blinded by the refractions of light for a number of rounds equal to the cypher level.
51–75 Sleep. Living sighted creatures are soothed by the warm glow of the light and fall asleep for a number of rounds equal to the cypher level or until woken by a violent action or an extremely loud noise.
76–00 Dazzle. Living sighted creatures are distracted by the dazzling array of lights and colors, and they become dazed for a number of rounds equal to the cypher level. During this time, the difficulty of all tasks they perform is modified by one step to their detriment.

Oddities:
A knitted square that adds a new row of stitches on its own

Tran fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 2, 2014

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Cypher Levels: 1d6+2 6 1d6+1 5 Now are we rolling for oddities too or that what the 2 d100s I rolled earlier for?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

ThreeStep posted:

Cypher Levels: 1d6+2 6 1d6+1 5 Now are we rolling for oddities too or that what the 2 d100s I rolled earlier for?
Yes you roll 2#1d100 for each oddity you get.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.
Xiska of the Hundredth World
A Perceptive Nano who Travels Through Time

She arrived four years ago. No one knew where she came from. Communication was difficult at first – her language was unlike anything known to those she encountered. She seemed on edge – suspicious of those around her, wary of everything. She seemed confused by the first meal she was given.

She adapted quickly in most respects. She picked up the language in a matter of months, but refused to speak about herself. She tried to perform various tasks to assist her hosts, but was awkward and clumsy despite her excellent physical condition.

Eventually she was persuaded to give a name for herself: Xiska, as best anyone could say it, though she insisted they did not say it quite right. It wasn't exactly a name, she explained, but it would do. Finally, she explained where she had come from: not another place but another time, a future world so distant it was difficult to explain. For their sake - and to emphasize her point - she called it the Hundredth World.

She wanders now. She finds work where she can, but detests physical labour. She prefers to use her mind - to figure things out, to solve puzzles or mysteries for those whose minds are too clouded by primitive superstition. She rarely explains much about herself, but she tells the truth when asked where she comes from. In a world full of impossible things, some are still more impossible than others, and not everyone believes her. Those who do ask her why she is here: her answer is that she did not mean to come, but that for the moment she is stuck. She is in no rush to leave, however – she has all the time in the world.

pre:
Tier 1 Nano (Psionics)
Effort 1
Armour 1

Pool/Edge
Might 8/0
Speed 10/0
Intellect 18/1

Skills
Trained in any task that involves finding or noticing small details
Trained in any task that involves identifying objects or calling to mind a minor detail or bit of trivia
Trained in any task that involves intimidating another creature
Trained in the numenera and can attempt to understand and identify its properties

Inabilities
The difficulty of any task involving positive social interactions is increased by one step

Abilities
Expert Cypher Use
Anticipation (1 Intellect) – You look ahead to see how your actions might unfold.
You have an asset for the first task you perform before the end of the next round. Enabler.

Esoteries
Scan (2 Intellect)
Ward

Cyphers
3 (TBD)

Oddities
3 (TBD)

Equipment
Clothing
Light Staff
Numenera Book
Bag of Light Tools
4 Shins
Still a work in progress, but I figured I should post something. :v:

Viscardus fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 28, 2014

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Paschal
11, 82: Memory Cube. Anoetic. Level: 1. Usable: Small cube made of glass or crystal. Effect: Removes one memory from the user’s mind and stores it inside the device, where it remains forever. Anyone holding the device can see a replay of the memory as the user experienced it. The user has no recollection of the memory, though she can become familiar with it through repeated viewings.
17, 22: Sonic Hole. Anoetic. Level: 1d6 + 2. Wearable: Wristband, ring, belt-mounted device. Usable: Small handheld device. Effect: Draws all sound within long range into the device for one round per cypher level. Within the affected area, no sound can be heard.
12, 68: Lutin (Light Drops). Anoetic. Level: 1d6 + 2. Wearable: Wristband projector (long range). Usable: Handheld projector (long range). Can also be thrown against the ground or other hard object in short range. Effect: Bursts in a cloud of contained light drops within short distance. The cloud lingers for 1d6 rounds unless conditions indicate otherwise.
Roll to determine the effect:
01–50 Blindness. Living sighted creatures are blinded by the refractions of light for a number of rounds equal to the cypher level.
51–75 Sleep. Living sighted creatures are soothed by the warm glow of the light and fall asleep for a number of rounds equal to the cypher level or until woken by a violent action or an extremely loud noise.
76–00 Dazzle. Living sighted creatures are distracted by the dazzling array of lights and colors, and they become dazed for a number of rounds equal to the cypher level. During this time, the difficulty of all tasks they perform is modified by one step to their detriment.
Oddities
56, 76: A knitted square that adds a new row of stitches on its own

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Knew I was forgetting something. Oddities: 2#1d100 1 55.
EDIT: And something else Oddities 2: 2#1d100 96 61

ThreeStep fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 29, 2014

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

In case anyone is still planning on making a character, I will be making character choices soon, most likely next Tuesday, and the game thread will go up very quickly after that. I'm excited!

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Background coming.

A Cruel Nano who Crafts Illusions

pre:
Tier 1 Nano (Forbidden Knowledge)
Effort 1
Armour 1

Pool/Edge
Might 9/0
Speed 11/0
Intellect 14/1

Skills

Skilled at deception, intimidation, and persuasion when I interact with characters suffering physical or emotional pain

Inabilities
The difficulty of any task made to ascertain another character's motives, feelings, or disposition, is increased one step

Abilities
Expert Cypher Use
Numeria training
Cruelty:  Can inflict 2 points less damage to decrease difficulty of next attack against foe by 1 step

Esoteries
Onslaught
Ward

Cyphers
3 (TBD)

Oddities
 (TBD)

Equipment
Clothing
Light Staff
Numenera Book
Bag of Light Tools
4 Shins
Memento from last person destroyed worth 10 shins
Cypher rolls:

http://orokos.com/roll/218059: 1d20 1 1d20 9 1d20 17 1d100 97 1d100 18 1d100 53

So, 1,97: 9,18; 17,53

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Alright, time to make some picks. It was pretty difficult, and I'm glad there was such a showing. If anyone's reading this, you should run another Numenera game!

Charus Loryn, the Mad Jack who Exists Partially Out of Phase played by QuantumNinja
Susan-who-Goes, the Mystical Nano who Talks to Machines played by Haystack
Ohrmazd, the Mlox Glaive who Bears a Halo of Fire played by Tindalos
Mazu Ikate, the Ghanic Jack who Crafts Unique Objects played by Saberwulf
Paschal "The Spiritist", the Empathic Nano who Controls Mental Powers played by Tran
Eater, the Mystical Jack who Works Miracles played by ThreeStep

If everyone could work out your connections to each other, either here or on the IRC channel, that'd be great, and the game thread will be up in a day or so!

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
To make this a little easier for figuring out connections, here are links to everyone.

Charus Loryn, the Mad Jack who Exists Partially Out of Phase played by QuantumNinja
Susan-who-Goes, the Mystical Nano who Talks to Machines played by Haystack
Ohrmazd, the Mlox Glaive who Bears a Halo of Fire played by Tindalos
Mazu Ikate, the Ghanic Jack who Crafts Unique Objects played by Saberwulf
Paschal "The Spiritist", the Empathic Nano who Controls Mental Powers played by Tran
Eater, the Mystical Jack who Works Miracles played by ThreeStep

As for my connection, what if Paschal travelled for a time with the Theatrics Company, and helped Charus to control his phasing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Works for me QuantumNinja. Figure that'd be good enough to have Charus and Paschal be frieds of a sort, with a lasting mental link.

On the other link, I think it's safe to say that Eater has the weirdest and most interesting mind. Enough even to keep a jaded old con man like Paschal intrigued.

• Locked thread