Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Bholder posted:

The whole scene went a bit differently in the VN.

Shinji didn't start the boundary field in an empty classroom, but a full one, thus the melting students there. Oh and we never actually saw Caster herself, that was the only off-screen battle in the entire VN.

And from what I can tell the next episode will be a talky one, but we'll get more Kotomine, so yay?

Since it should be showing before mid season break I hope we see the fight in Kotomine's church as caster kicks him out by force

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Bholder posted:

Oh and we never actually saw Caster herself, that was the only off-screen battle in the entire VN.

There were quite a few off-screen fights in the VN. Archer vs Berserker, Assassin vs Berserker, Souichirou vs Gilgamesh, Assassin vs Gilgamesh, Souichirou vs Rider, Kotomine vs Caster, and Lancer vs Gilgamesh.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Stevefin posted:

Since it should be showing before mid season break I hope we see the fight in Kotomine's church as caster kicks him out by force

That won't happen for a long while.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Clarste posted:

Is it just me, or did this episode seem kind of... bad? I mean, I know it's when stuff starts actually happening and maybe it's valuable for that alone, but I felt like they were halfassing it. Like, it was absolutely impossible for the weak skeletons to feel threatening yet they played the exact same "creepy inception noises" every time they were on screen. Actually, I feel like they put all their effort into making sure Saber's brief action scene had all their budget, even though it wasn't really that interesting. This episode was supposed to have "impact" but it really doesn't. Maybe it's because Shinji's laugh is no annoying.

My problem was that it felt like an anticlimax. That's one dead servant and she was killed offscreen. I mean, y'know, fair enough if this wasn't meant to be a big "!" moment in the overall narrative, but it felt like super dramatic buildup with the eye of Sauron and everything and all we got out of it was a S&S killing a few Ray Harryhausen rejects and everyone obstinately refusing to kill Shinji. As much as I hate to admit it, the whole thing could have benefited from actually SEEING him get duped into getting his Servant killed instead of just figuring it out from the aftermath.

I swear, between him, Tarou from Shirobako, and Shimotsuki from Psycho Pass, this season is full of anime characters that I want to see flayed alive

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I love when Shinji's smugging it up in the beginning and the random guy who Shirou was talking to just kind of stares at him like :wtc:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Beef Waifu posted:

Controversial Opinion: I never cared for Rider, but she had cool fight scenes.

Don't worry. It's not that controversial. She looks cool, but I haven't played VN or stuff so I don't get the boner for her either.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I have played the VN and I think she's pretty much just boring. I don't really get it either.

I mean, not so boring that I hate her or anything, there's just nothing that stands out and she ends up "generic Servant" by default.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
She's not bombastic and charismatic as F/Z Rider so that's probably what's boring about her, but her loyalty and friendship with her Master really made me like her in Heaven's Feel.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Rider is popular for a variety of reasons, but her role in UBW is definitely not one of them. She gets nothing to work with here. Not that she's alone in this regard, every Servant besides maybe Saber and Archer get the short end of the stick in at least one of the stories.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Normally I'd be happy about seeing a ufotable fight scene, but I'm not so sure I'd want to see the fight that inevitably resulted in Rider's death this episode. Considering how badly she was mangled, that would have been hard to watch.

But yeah, people who liked Rider like her because of Heaven's Feel.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Even in HF Rider's basically just Saber-lite, all the loyalty with none of the righteousness. Even her Noble Phantasm ends up being used for beam spam, despite it supposedly being a horse. I can see that she's not, like, the worst character ever or anything, but her portrayal even in HF is pretty much the minimum standard for being a character at all instead of a prop. And frankly, her loyalty and lack of personal ambition is something she shares with at least 2/3 of the other Servants? It doesn't really make her stand out. Nothing does.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Rider looks really cool, has neat fights (she is one of the few Servants who seem to grasp more advanced tactics then "charge at someone/stand back and pelt them with ranged projectiles) and in HF it is shown that she is incredibly loyal and a pretty chill in person, has a tragic backstory with an interesting twist on classic mythology and is actually pretty drat powerful with a proper Master . Plus she is pretty much the ultimate underdog Servant who is even more screwed over by her Master and the circumstances of Grail War then F/Z Lancer.

Basically there is a lot to like about her.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

2/3 of those things are "she's actually pretty strong, even though she loses immediately in other routes", and given that her finisher is somehow turning a horse into a laser, her fights are pretty damned boring? I mean, other than that the only I can remember her doing is using "Monstrous Strength" to overpower people with the chain. I have no idea what "advanced tactics" you could possibly be thinking of. She's "loyal and chill when outside combat", something she shares with Berserker, Caster, Lancer, Assassin, and who knows who else.

I guess it's possible some people really really like the sympathetic Medusa twist, but I'm pretty the real explanation involves boobs and costume design.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
The best thing Rider ever did was her fight with Saber near the start of HF, since it was about the only time in all three routes that we got to see Saber completely overpower another Servant and live up to her hype.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I have a few things to say about that, but I think we should move over to the general Type/Moon thread, because I am fairly sure a discussion about character that mostly features in Fate and HF routes, has absolutely minimum screen-time in UBW route and is already dead in the anime is outside of the confines of this thread.

rvm
May 6, 2013

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I love when Shinji's smugging it up in the beginning and the random guy who Shirou was talking to just kind of stares at him like :wtc:

Yeah, it was great.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Clarste posted:

I guess it's possible some people really really like the sympathetic Medusa twist, but I'm pretty the real explanation involves boobs and costume design.

I like Rider because she's deadly on a bicycle.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Snow Halation posted:

I like Rider because she's deadly on a bicycle.

Not just bicycles!

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Her riding skill is rank A after all.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ok, the last episode has left me thoroughly confused. I thought the master of caster was that rear end at the school who put up the magic runes and started draining all of the students to power those pathetic skeleton things (why is he even still alive and not drained of the seals or at least killed?). But it was rider who did that eye thing? Did rider even have any screen time before this? I don't recall seeing her. Who was she anyway?

Do I need to rewatch the aired episodes of UBW or wait for more until things make sense? Please help me and my stupidity understand. I've only seen Fate Zero besides this.

:saddowns: :confused:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Did you completely skip the 5th episode? The one where Rin and Shirou duked in out in the school.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Shinji (blue haired loser) was Rider's master, and the one who put up the field at the school. We saw her in episode 5, when she briefly fought and injured Shirou. We don't know who Caster's master is.

Rider's identity will come up in the Heaven's feel movie

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ah, thanks. I'll need to watch that when it's subbed then.

Nate RFB posted:

Did you completely skip the 5th episode? The one where Rin and Shirou duked in out in the school.
No, I saw that one. Oh... Rewatching that scene I realized I got her confused with caster for some reason. Derp. :doh:
Thanks.

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 30, 2014

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
My friend totally got them confused, too. I think it's because they both have purple hair, purple/black outfits, and have their eyes concealed. Rider could equip a cloak and you wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I think there needs to be a gif or webm of when they discover Rider dead and her head just kind of twists back into place.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I think there needs to be a gif or webm of when they discover Rider dead and her head just kind of twists back into place.

You mean like the one on the previous page?

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Cephas posted:

My friend totally got them confused, too. I think it's because they both have purple hair, purple/black outfits, and have their eyes concealed. Rider could equip a cloak and you wouldn't be able to tell them apart.
Yeah they basically have the exact same palette and overall look until Caster's hood comes off, then her hair turns blue and it's easy to distinguish them.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Rider wears loving bondage gear, a blindfold, and has bright pink hair.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

You mean like the one on the previous page?

The one I totally missed. :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Beef Waifu posted:

Rider wears loving bondage gear, a blindfold, and has bright pink hair.

It's purple hair.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh my loving god.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

:goonsay: If you're going to describe a character get it right.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

look the bondage gear makes focusing on the exact color difficult okay?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Fate/stay colorblind.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Someone give me a blindfold.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I really could not distinguish those two servants. Their master plans seem to both involve vampiric mana attacks and ambushing Shirou, their costumes have nearly identical palettes, and their speeches seem equally generic villain. I had assumed that Caster was just Rider wearing a hood. I still assume that.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
One is showing more skin than the other, why is this so hard for you people.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Caster gets more interesting later in UBW, Rider gets more interesting in HF. By the end, it should be pretty easy to differentiate them.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Rider's eyes are covered by shades, Caster's eyes are covered by the shade.

It's that easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

Someone give me a blindfold.
Just dye your hair purple and get some bondage gear, you'll be good to go!

• Locked thread