Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Pubic Lair posted:

That's what I was trying to get at, I'm interested to see what my instructor has to say about Mas's ideas because he said he's the guy who would be investigating if a self defense shooting happens in his jurisdiction.

His ideas about shooting and knowledge of firearms in general have been poo poo but I'm assuming he has some good insight into the legal aspects.

At one point he told everyone in the room to field strip their pistols. The student behind me had a 1911 and didn't really know how to put it back together. The instructor said 1911s are way too complicated to field strip so he had never taken one apart. I ended up helping that student and 2 others get their guns apart and back together. If all you know how to strip is a glock why have 20 possibly unskilled people take their random guns apart and throw up your hands when they can't put them together.

lol seriously? 1911s are not hard to field strip at all....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Anyone who calls themselves an armorer, and doesn't know how to field strip one of John Moses Browning's greatest gifts to mankind (praise be to him,) probably shouldn't go around calling themselves that.

Maybe "Glock Technician" would be more appropriate. Perhaps "Glock Parts Changer."

poo poo, detail stripping a 1911 is mostly self explanatory, and only limited by not generally having the required tools in a typical gun-cleaning box.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Literally impossible to reassemble now.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

Pubic Lair posted:

I'm not convinced that military and police experience really add anything to the equation with most firearms issues. But particularly in Mas's case his honorary or part time LEO credentials have little to do with his depth of knowledge. I'm pretty sure that they mainly allow him easier access to information and support his testimony in court.

He's probably really knowledgable about parking ticket laws and protecting the Victoria's Secret locations in the loop, maybe also about driving a suburban down the Lake Shore path.

Let's be honest Chicago cops don't really do a whole lot and embody pretty much every bad stereotype about large departments like rampant employment wait lists unless you know someone , protecting bad cops at all costs, overbearing unions and out of control pension obligations. Why would a cog in that messed up machine actually understand the hosed up laws in Illinois?

Clearly teaching any subject is full of dissenting opinions and methods whether it's math, biology or gun fighting. It just doesn't come to me as a surprise that a gun related class in Illinois was full of stupid.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

New Concept Hole posted:

I always assumed that she somehow had enough arm strength to permanently mangle the takedown pin and/or destroy the barrel link when she did that, hence the "don't bother getting your gun parts back" thing.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Exit Strategy posted:

I always assumed that she somehow had enough arm strength to permanently mangle the takedown pin and/or destroy the barrel link when she did that, hence the "don't bother getting your gun parts back" thing.

Actually I think that's correct. You can see what looks like the 2 halves of the lever falling off the gun if you look closely.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Imaginary Baron posted:

Please do report back with how the legal portion of the course goes. Mas is generally regarded as an expert in self defense law and testifies as an expert witness in trials involving self defense. Hell he even teaches courses on the subject that attorneys can take for continuing ed credit.. So I'm very interested in what your instructor has to say that would contradict anything Ayoob says on the subject.

No he's not. Everything Ayoob writes says you will go to prison forever if you draw your gun ever. For any reason.

New Concept Hole posted:

What manner of woman can mangle the great slabsides so?

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 28, 2015

phuzzylodgik
Oct 20, 2005

Fuck this filter shit.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

No he's not. Everything Ayoob writes says you will go to prison forever if you draw your gun ever. For any reason.

Yeah man, it's almost like he wants people to have a good goddamn reason before they point a firearm at someone.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

phuzzylodgik posted:

Yeah man, it's almost like he wants people to have a good goddamn reason before they point a firearm at someone.

With scary legal talk! He'll talk anyone out of carrying if they read his books.

Arden
Feb 19, 2004

Mind over fatter, bitches!

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

With scary legal talk! He'll talk anyone out of carrying if they read his books.

I'd rather have scary legal talk than sugar coated training. Ayoob may not be Jesus with a gun but I have learned a ton from his books and articles. Like it or not he is an expert on the subject of lethal force.

Anyway I received my Desantis Superfly the other day. Very pleased with it so far, it doesn't move in my pocket and the flap effectively hides any gun shaped outline in my pocket. The gun draws smoothly and the rubberized material grips my pocket, there is zero chance of the holster still being on the gun after it it is drawn.

Here are some pics of it with my LC9s in it.

Arden fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 28, 2015

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002

Upset Trowel

I dont got any gats or roscoes but i carry a bag fulla jawns

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

More pics of the bobbed J-gat, TIA.

right arm
Oct 29, 2011

saying gat is really cool

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

It's

right arm
Oct 29, 2011

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!

Success! This was an absolute pain in the rear end. I've never dealt with sights this hard to remove, goddamn.

Next time I won't be cheap and invest in a pusher tool.

poxin fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 28, 2015

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

poxin posted:

Success! This was an absolute pain in the rear end. I've never dealt with sights this hard to remove, goddamn.

Next time I won't be cheap and invest in a pusher tool.

Wasn't there a sight tool pay it forward around here?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Can anyone with a Walther PPS tell me why mine won't load 9mm hollowpoint 147g Rangers reliably at all? It will shoot any FMJ i can throw at it but it just won't eat the hollowpoints. The slide closes with the case sticking out multiple times per 6 round magazine.

I've run about 500 FMJ through it with 10 hollow points each 100 rounds. Still gets stuck sometimes....

Maybe I need to break it in more?

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 30, 2015

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Wendigee posted:

Can anyone with a Walther PPS tell me why mine won't load 9mm hollowpoint 147g Rangers reliably at all? It will shoot any FMJ i can throw at it but it just won't eat the hollowpoints. The slide closes with the case sticking out multiple times per 6 round magazine.

I've run about 500 FMJ through it with 10 hollow points each 100 rounds. Still gets stuck sometimes....

The flat tip of hollowpoints isn't particularly conducive to reliable feeding to begin with, but aren't 147gr Rangers long as all hell? Try some different hollowpoints and check the OAL of the Rangers compared to the stuff it usually feeds.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

147 rangers work fine in mine. :| I guess it's just a case of your gun not liking them. Or mine liking them more than yours.

Federal HST is the way to go, anyways.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Wendigee posted:

I would contact the factory - your gun is defective.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Thanks I'll look into it!

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Wendigee posted:

Thanks I'll look into it!

It could be a magazine issue but basically no modern handgun (Especially one marketed explicitly for self defense) should have difficulty feeding most quality JHP ammunition. Uncle Jimbob's JHP handloads aside, pretty much all of the JHP brands you know well (Remington Golden Saber, Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger T Series, Federal HST, Hornady Critical Defense/Duty, etc) should work in your gun. this leads me to think there is a problem with the springs/barrel/feed ramp/who knows. If the factory says it's just 'picky about ammo' or needs to be 'broken in' I would honestly be in the market for a new pistol..

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008

Fun Shoe

I will be moving in the next month or so and will be changing my residency from Wisconsin to South Dakota. I have a WI resident ccw permit and a Utah permit. Obviously I will update my address with both states. Is there a grace period so to speak with Utah while I get my SD permit? Does anyone have experience with this type of transition?

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Just want to say I had a great experience with thebeltman for a ccw belt. I'm about 20 minutes from their shop and called to see if they allowed local pickup. They run the business out of a small detached workshop next to their house (the smell of that workshop was euphoric).

Absolutely friendly, they double checked my measurement there, and I got to customize the belt a little bit on the spot. Superb belt and very nice folks!

poxin fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 30, 2015

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Wendigee posted:

I only ever tried to run 147 Gold Dots through mine since that kept my ammo the same with the P99 I first started with. Zero problems. Seconding doing the comparison to OAL and seeing if another brand works for you. And while Kommie wants to dog anything that isn't a Glock multiple thread iterations have always stressed finding out which (of the good varieties) of carry ammo work best for your gun and then using that exact variety only. Why all of a sudden one type not wanting to work well == get rid of the gun? Who knows.

Now if this problem persists across multiple brands that's when you say gently caress it and send it back to the factory.

Indentured Goon
Dec 6, 2004

Wendigee posted:

I picked up some HPR stuff that had the same problem in my PPS. I've been shooting Federal Hydra-shoks since without incident.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

OH MAN, I GOTTA GET ME SOME PENS

SKILCRAFT
QUALITY BLIND MADE PRODUCTS, BITCH

Between Sphinx SDP subcompact and Rohrbaugh R9S, which makes more sense? Probably going to pocket carry, fwiw.

Edit: Nevermind. Got this bad boy:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/972429125/Rohrbaugh-R9S-Stealth-9mm-Semi-Auto-Pistol-Use.htm

new friend from school fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 1, 2015

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

1) You bought that because James Bond chick, didn't you?

2) BOX THREAD!

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

OH MAN, I GOTTA GET ME SOME PENS

SKILCRAFT
QUALITY BLIND MADE PRODUCTS, BITCH

I'll definitely do one. I actually went on a bit of a spree with my tax return, getting this, a VP9, a Mk23, a Timberwolf frame for my NiB-X G23 upper, and a bunch of ammo.
Hopefully, I'll pay for it this Monday, and if getting my FOID sent to all of them doesn't take too long, then my FFL will get it by the end of next week, then it's a three day wait, and then box thread is coming by V-day weekend.

new friend from school fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 1, 2015

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

safetyStanddown posted:

I'll definitely do one. I actually went on a bit of a spree with my tax return, getting this, a VP9, a Mk23, a Timberwolf frame for my NiB-X G23 upper, and a bunch of ammo.
Hopefully, I'll pay for this Monday, then my FFL will get it by the end of next week, then a three day wait (IL), and box thread is coming by V-day weekend.

Lots of info about the Timberwolf frame too please, I've been pretty interested in them for a while and I don't think anyone here has one yet.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I loving hate that Raven won't make a Vanguard 2 for the Shield. It was perfect for my needs when I was carrying a Glock 19, and with the Shield being even smaller, thinner, and lighter I have to imagine it would be even better for this. Goddammit.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Totally TWISTED posted:

I only ever tried to run 147 Gold Dots through mine since that kept my ammo the same with the P99 I first started with. Zero problems. Seconding doing the comparison to OAL and seeing if another brand works for you. And while Kommie wants to dog anything that isn't a Glock multiple thread iterations have always stressed finding out which (of the good varieties) of carry ammo work best for your gun and then using that exact variety only. Why all of a sudden one type not wanting to work well == get rid of the gun? Who knows.

Now if this problem persists across multiple brands that's when you say gently caress it and send it back to the factory.

This is silly. "multiple threads" is not an authority. If it's not a 1911 or similar hand-assembled pistol, there should not be issues with feeding modern in-spec JHPs. If they are within SAAMI specs, why would they not be feeding? Do you want a gun that is so fickle that it won't feed rounds within an already pretty tight margin of tolerance.

safetyStanddown posted:

Between Sphinx SDP subcompact and Rohrbaugh R9S, which makes more sense? Probably going to pocket carry, fwiw.

Edit: Nevermind. Got this bad boy:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/972429125/Rohrbaugh-R9S-Stealth-9mm-Semi-Auto-Pistol-Use.htm

badass.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001
If you don't think ponderous, clumsy sentence structure loaded with hamfisted thesaurus wankery makes good writing, you're probably just too dumb to read my posts.

/r/iamverysmart

Kommienzuspadt posted:

This is silly. "multiple threads" is not an authority. If it's not a 1911 or similar hand-assembled pistol, there should not be issues with feeding modern in-spec JHPs. If they are within SAAMI specs, why would they not be feeding? Do you want a gun that is so fickle that it won't feed rounds within an already pretty tight margin of tolerance.

There is no SAAMI spec for bullet shape.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Fang posted:

Welp, now I look pretty dumb.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

DeesGrandpa posted:

I loving hate that Raven won't make a Vanguard 2 for the Shield. It was perfect for my needs when I was carrying a Glock 19, and with the Shield being even smaller, thinner, and lighter I have to imagine it would be even better for this. Goddammit.

Yeah, I contacted them about it recently. I feel the same but bad news on their end

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Fang posted:

Yeeeep I've made round noses that a Glock can't feed and some it can fire exactly once and RNFPs that my M&P dislikes. Some guns just don't like some ammo. Some guns like more kinds of ammo than others, but it's always something to check on.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Kommienzuspadt posted:

badass.

So all of a sudden the goon hivemind thought of trying different carry ammo (JHPs) is wrong and any good quality HP not working = your pistol is poo poo?

I would be happy to re-evaluate my position on this but I don't see a much better alternative since this seems to imply one would have to try every single FBI-spec passing brand in their pistol and then have all brands work before confirming their carry pistol as GoodToGo(TM).

edit: I will say the glock jab wasn't needed though, apologies there.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Totally TWISTED posted:

It's hosed, fly out to CO and take my shield, leave the PPS or you'll be killed in the streets.

(hope you get it working, the PPS rules)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

DeesGrandpa posted:

It's hosed, fly out to CO and take my shield, leave the PPS or you'll be killed in the streets.

(hope you get it working, the PPS rules)

I have an SP-101 that works great with anything and everything I've ever put in it. I mean I know its a revolver and technically it's less reliably because of all the internals but the thing just works every single time until it fails to lock-up (i guess?).

I just prefer the lighter weight and magazine options of an automatic. The PPS was my favorite until i started trying out hollow points and having issues... then I tried my friends XDs .45 and was really surprised. The gun was a bit slimmer, recoil was very.. different (easier to handle maybe?), the trigger seemed to be less squishy and it had fibre optic sights that I could hit things at longer range with.

Might just sell the PPS and get an XDS in 9mm. I'll have to get out to the range and give the PPS a good testing with a bunch of different ammo types.