Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Walking Dead 1 you could at least argue that the railroading let them write a stronger story, or at least that was the argument at the time. Given every other game they've made though it doesn't really matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

In Walking Dead, people could also die based on what you did. Has there been anyone in Game of Thrones so far that's died who wasn't going to anyway?

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

RightClickSaveAs posted:

In Walking Dead, people could also die based on what you did. Has there been anyone in Game of Thrones so far that's died who wasn't going to anyway?

Not that I know of, but I have one less dude with me out north of the wall than other people do.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
If you choose to show mercy to that guy, he's all "Thank you, I owe you and your family!" and then walks off - I haven't seen him since. I bet he's gonna come back to do the Forresters a good turn :unsmith:

Also, I still don't know what's gonna happen with Margery's key from Episode One.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

So this is half-off on Steam right now. Should I buy it?

Relevant info:

- I liked Walking Dead S1 and The Wolf Among Us, but found Walking Dead S2 disappointing.
- I read the first two GoT books and didn't like them enough to read the third.
- I haven't watched the TV show.
- I like pointing at things and then clicking on them.

Tell me how to waste my money, goons.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Litany Unheard posted:

Relevant info:

- I liked Walking Dead S1 and The Wolf Among Us, but found Walking Dead S2 disappointing.

Buy Life is Strange instead.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Litany Unheard posted:

Relevant info:

Probably not. Borderlands is surprisingly great though, and

Accordion Man posted:

Buy Life is Strange instead.
is good advice.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Litany Unheard posted:

Relevant info:

If you're not interested in Game of Thrones or the books, don't buy a video game based on them because you probably won't like it either.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Regy Rusty posted:

If you're not interested in Game of Thrones or the books, don't buy a video game based on them because you probably won't like it either.

Sometimes the book is better than the movie or vice versa. Probably holds true for games as well? :shrug:

But Life is Strange looks neat, so I'll check that out. Thanks folks.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
the first walking dead video game is a lot better than the graphic novels or the tv show but the game of thrones video game probably isnt better than the show

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Walking Dead Season 1 was the lightning in a bottle that Telltale will never get back, especially because Jake Rodkin and Sean Vanaman left right after it finished.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Accordion Man posted:

Walking Dead Season 1 was the lightning in a bottle that Telltale will never get back, especially because Jake Rodkin and Sean Vanaman left right after it finished.

Where did they go?

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

What if I like the books, like the show, and kind of enjoyed Telltale's Back to the Future episodes? Is this game worth the $15?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Spikeguy posted:

Where did they go?
To found their own studio, Campo Santo, along with the head designer of Mark of the Ninja and a few other devs. Their first game, Firewatch, looks like it'll be great and should be out at like the end of the year.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Gin_Rummy posted:

What if I like the books, like the show, and kind of enjoyed Telltale's Back to the Future episodes? Is this game worth the $15?

It isn't Telltale's best but it hasn't yet reached the lows hit by TWD Season 2, so if you'rea GoT fan I'd say that you'll get $15 of enjoyment out of it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Gin_Rummy posted:

Sure it's worth a shot.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Accordion Man posted:

To found their own studio, Campo Santo, along with the head designer of Mark of the Ninja and a few other devs. Their first game, Firewatch, looks like it'll be great and should be out at like the end of the year.

What is Firewatch

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Asema posted:

What is Firewatch
It's Just Cause 3.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Accordion Man posted:

It's Just Cause 3.

No, that's just a FTP Server.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Max posted:

No, that's just a FTP Server.

I hear it's a MOBA

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Having finished the episodes out so far I've got to say by far the biggest issue is how hosed up the heads on nearly all the show characters are in comparison to everyone else. Ramsay particularly. I can't say I'm surprised at the railroading but actually I'm surprised half of it turns out to only happen the one way, slight deviations or not. It felt like it could have gone wildly off course (then it turned out some of those are game overs, which is bullshit). I love how everywhere in the tv and the show Ramsay's just having the time of his life wherever he wants to. :allears:

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Episode 5's a comin'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4uuyxnSeM0

Also, Samoa Joe's playing a pit-fighter!

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Arbite posted:

Episode 5's a comin'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4uuyxnSeM0

Also, Samoa Joe's playing a pit-fighter!

Well, this will certainly be interesting.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
Some Xbox one people got the episode earlier so watch out for spoilers

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Did it accidentally go up on XBL early?

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies
So Telltale seem to have got their act together, and the EU/AU release was simultaneous with the rest of the world, for once.

Just finished off the episode then holy poo poo, I left Asher behind, I'm assuming leaving Rodrik behind has similar outcomes?

Overall, not a bad episode, few more QTE events than I would have liked, with the buggy code, but in proper GoT form, the second-to-last episode ramps things up. Pretty amped to see how this all wraps up.

Other spoilers:

I got Mira to lie to Tyrion
Duncan is the spy - guessing Royland would be if he wasn't chosen as Sentinel
Ramsay Snow is a dick, but he's constantly just having fun doing whatever he wants. Still tried to stab him, though.
Fought wights north of the wall, the same wildlings that I killed in the last episode

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

hawaiian_robot posted:

Duncan is the spy - guessing Royland would be if he wasn't chosen as Sentinel

Telltale, you're really poo poo at this whole writing thing.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I get the feeling this episode came out hotter than usual.

I was sorry to see Roderick die, but was really disappointed that Samoa Joe ate it already. Also that Griff seems quite unmaimed. And it was really dumb of the Whitehills to kill the ruling lord rather than capture him. The animations in the pit fight, while pretty, had absolutely no weight, either. The sense of scope was just shanked by having Asher & co show up after a voyage of five minutes, too. Oh yeah, bye Finn, thanks for coming I guess.

I get the impression they felt the need to have a dick punch of a choice to end the episode on and were willing to sacrifice all other narrative aspects else to get there.

The game would have been better if it was just from Mira's point of view. Going from sheltered handmaiden to unassuming power broker and tremendously impacting events far away sounds like a great premise for an adventure game of either the classic or modern design. Ah well, still the best official ASOIAF game so far.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

hawaiian_robot posted:

Just finished off the episode then holy poo poo, I left Asher behind, I'm assuming leaving Rodrik behind has similar outcomes?

Well I left Rodrik behind, killed a few whitehill assholes, and got killed. So I guess it's the same to you only with Asher.
Also I totaly regret not bashing in Gryff's head with the cane.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Can someone confirm that Royland is the spy if you went with Duncan as your Sentinel?

Because that's so dumb if so.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I picked Asher because he's the better fighter and the sellswords respect him. Since a lot of the sellswords already died in the ambush, I figure we'll need the best fighters we can get

Did you kill the betreyer guy? I didn't pick him as my sentinel and I disliked him quite a bit already so I did

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

Can someone confirm that Royland is the spy if you went with Duncan as your Sentinel?

Yes, is it the other way around if I picked Duncan?

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

That is indeed how it works, someone already made these, Major Spoilers from Episode 5 ---->http://imgur.com/a/KGiZ1

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Regy Rusty posted:

That's terrible.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Ekusukariba posted:

That is indeed how it works, someone already made these, Major Spoilers from Episode 5 ---->http://imgur.com/a/KGiZ1

I don't get it. Why would they make the traitor the guy you actually like enough to pick as your sentinel?

I didn't like the other guy anyways.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I don't get it. Why would they make the traitor the guy you actually like enough to pick as your sentinel?

I didn't like the other guy anyways.

You're misunderstanding, it's whoever isn't the sentinel

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah I went with Duncan for Sentinel. Royland was revealed as the traitor. He gave a long angry speech about what a pussy rear end lord Rodrick was then asked him to spare his life in exchange for information about the Whitehills. He got murdered, I'm gonna assume at this point that having the information wouldn't have affected the outcome anyways.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ekusukariba posted:

Lagomorphic posted:

Yeah I went with Duncan for Sentinel. Royland was revealed as the traitor. He gave a long angry speech about what a pussy rear end lord Rodrick was then asked him to spare his life in exchange for information about the Whitehills. He got murdered, I'm gonna assume at this point that having the information wouldn't have affected the outcome anyways.

Haha it's so terrible

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
And I assume the choice at the end of the episode will have no real effect on the next episode or the end of the series!

For the record I picked Rodrik to live because he seems to have a good future with the Elaena and it seemed like a nice end to Asher's storyline, and more in line with his character but who gives a poo poo because it's all meaningless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Regy Rusty posted:

Haha it's so terrible

I'm still enjoying the game. Honestly all of the the railroading sort of fits the theme. The Foresters are a minor house caught on the losing side of a war. So the constant struggling in vain against greater forces only to get hosed over constantly by factors beyond your control feels pretty appropriate for a GoT story.

• Locked thread