Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

New schedule is out.

Episode 545 — Stargate

Episode 546 — The Simpsons Movie with Henry Gilbert and Bob Mackey

Episode 547 — Saw III

Episode 548 — The Mighty Ducks

Patreon Episodes:

Patreon Exclusive We Love Movies — Escape from New York

Animation Damnation — The Critic: "Dr. Jay" (s1, e10)

The Nexus: TOS: "Return to Tomorrow" (s1 e20) TNG: "The Ensigns of Command" (s3, e2)

Gleep Glossary: General Maximillian Veers

Melr0210: 90210: "The Party Fish" (s2, e2) Melrose Place: "Three's a Crowd" (s1, e22)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

thrawn527 posted:

New schedule is out.

Episode 545 — Stargate

Episode 546 — The Simpsons Movie with Henry Gilbert and Bob Mackey

Episode 547 — Saw III

Episode 548 — The Mighty Ducks

Patreon Episodes:

Patreon Exclusive We Love Movies — Escape from New York

Animation Damnation — The Critic: "Dr. Jay" (s1, e10)

The Nexus: TOS: "Return to Tomorrow" (s1 e20) TNG: "The Ensigns of Command" (s3, e2)

Gleep Glossary: General Maximillian Veers

Melr0210: 90210: "The Party Fish" (s2, e2) Melrose Place: "Three's a Crowd" (s1, e22)

there's nothing even slightly not-hype about this roster, good month comin!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

That's a stellar lineup. Hell yeah.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Speaking of Jeff Dunham, what episode does Raaaaandy BlaeerhBlaarh appear?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Color me surprised that none of the boys were SG-1 guys

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Iron Crowned posted:

Color me surprised that none of the boys were SG-1 guys

I'm not too surprised. I watched a ton of Star Trek and BSG, even like Doctor Who, and obviously am a Star Wars guy. But, try as I might, I just couldn't get into SG-1. It's just...not good. I remember the first episode being a retelling of the movie, only with a random topless scene because they were on Showtime (at the time) and they could. And they had a random scene where you found out someone named Sam was a w-w-woman?!?!?! which already felt cliche'd at the time. And things only got way sillier while also more self important from there. It's just bad.

They did have one good Groundhog Day time loop episode, though.

I even tried for a few seasons (looking up the episode I gave up, it's where they went to "Hell", or a planet called that, which was halfway through season 3) because I had friends who were really into it, and I wanted to see what they saw, and I knew shows like TNG took a few seasons to get going. But I just couldn't keep going.

I do love the movie, though, so I'm looking forward to listening to the episode.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 4, 2021

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't really into SG-1 either, but there was a time in the early 00's, when it seemed like it was on every channel during the "syndication hours." To me it was one of those shows where I could sit down and watch it for an hour between doing other things. That's really my experience with SG-1 to this day, if it's on and I'm not doing anything else, I can watch it.

I just figured at least one of the boys would have at least put a good chunk of time into it :shrug:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I never watched it but there was a time where it felt like for TV SF nerds, SG-1 was on the same level as Star Trek, BSG, and Babylon-5, but now it seems like that was a flash in the pan and I see more nostalgia for Sliders than I do for SG-1.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

First season was a little hit or miss but it settles into some good sci-fi for at least another 6ish seasons.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

SG-1 is an okay TNG ripoff with a hardon for american military.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

https://twitter.com/WHMPodcast/status/1389618127265280009

The art is adorable :3:

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

https://twitter.com/salemhorrorfest/status/1391387734070136832?s=20
Obviously lovely circumstances, but I suspect this is an ep a lot of people didn't see since it was bundled with the day passes for the festival. No idea how long they'll have this up.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I haven't seen Stargate in 25 years. We rented it, along with a few other movies, from a local video store, the tape slid under the seat when we went to return them, and that singular tape wasn't found until a few months later. My dad refused to pay the $90 late fee, so we never went back to that store, and he complained about "the stupid Egypt movie" for years.

French Stewart as a soldier who bullies James Spader is hysterical. Most of the effects, besides the helmets retracting, are still pretty solid. All in all, not a bad attempt at establishing some kind of archaeo-punk science-fantasy genre.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My roommate all through college was that Stargate guy. In his defense he didn't annoy me much with it but I tried sitting down to watch a couple episodes with him and just... couldn't.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

breaking scandal

https://twitter.com/stephensajdak/status/1391487342314237956

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

When they have guests on that aren’t comedians or friends they get scared to do any bits and apologize a lot more for the stupid poo poo.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I've never listened to TalkingSimpsons before so I'm not familiar with either host. Bob Mackey was on a Found Footage Fest thing this past weekend. It's first time I've heard him talk and, well, I hate to say it, but he was the worst part of the video. Not sure what to expect with the WHM episode as I haven't had a chancel to listen yet.

I know he posts on here and I'm sorry dude. Nothing personal.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

There's a really funny gag when they throw to an ad in this episode.

Andrew: "I hate when something makes me aware that they have a theme song."
*cut to theme song for the ad read*

I chuckled.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

thrawn527 posted:

I chuckled.

Literally hitting preview on my post that had this in it (which you handled far more succinctly). It's exactly the kind of gag I would expect on an actual classis Simpons ep, it was great.

I'm only like a third through the episode and while I do like it, it's got more of the feel of a WLM episode. I don't mind it because I worship at the altar of the Simpsons and so I don't necessarily need bits, give me straight up quotes of classic eps and some actual analysis & history behind the show/movie.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

I've never listened to TalkingSimpsons before so I'm not familiar with either host. Bob Mackey was on a Found Footage Fest thing this past weekend. It's first time I've heard him talk and, well, I hate to say it, but he was the worst part of the video. Not sure what to expect with the WHM episode as I haven't had a chancel to listen yet.

I know he posts on here and I'm sorry dude. Nothing personal.

I thought I was witty and informative

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

thrawn527 posted:

I chuckled.

coming here to post that

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I'm also here to recognize the greatness of that ad placement.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

quote:

PLUS: Transforming those 7-11s into Kwik-E-Marts was a terrible idea.

The gently caress it was, I loved it

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
The gang is returning to Andrew's home studio!

https://twitter.com/jupin/status/1392581891312730121?s=20

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Ngl, got slightly emotional reading that. :unsmith:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

good news! Also, dang Andrew with the Eames chair, pretty drat fancy! Also, also, the Simpsons episode is the first WHM ever where I couldn't wait for it to be over. I really couldn't care about all that Simpsons trivia and there were so few laughs for a WHM episode. The WLM Citizen Kane episode was funnier! Only Chris seemed to really stick to his guns and provide the H in WHM.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Arson Daily posted:

good news! Also, dang Andrew with the Eames chair, pretty drat fancy! Also, also, the Simpsons episode is the first WHM ever where I couldn't wait for it to be over. I really couldn't care about all that Simpsons trivia and there were so few laughs for a WHM episode. The WLM Citizen Kane episode was funnier! Only Chris seemed to really stick to his guns and provide the H in WHM.

I felt this way too. It reminded me of one of the On Screen episodes for Game of Thrones or whatever, where it's a little boring because it's about something I really don't care about.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Funny how much they poo poo on comic book and video game movies but when it’s The Simpsons they have a lot of love for they don’t talk nearly enough poo poo about it.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

I hope they saved something special for the first in person recording.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Pops Mgee posted:

I hope they saved something special for the first in person recording.

I hope it’s their first mail bag since December. That’s what I would like.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
https://twitter.com/whmpodcast/status/1392676079257673728?s=21

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Invalid Validation posted:

Funny how much they poo poo on comic book and video game movies but when it’s The Simpsons they have a lot of love for they don’t talk nearly enough poo poo about it.

Very weird of the WHM boys to complain less about something they enjoy! Also, come on, everyone shits on video game movies, and in the vast majority of cases they're right to.

Anyway, as a Simpsons nut I dug this episode and enjoyed the behind-the-scenes stuff about the movie's production that got sprinkled in, but agree that it sort of felt like a stealth WLM (WLT?) for The Simpsons. It has convinced me to give Talking Simpsons a shot, though!

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Arson Daily posted:

Also, also, the Simpsons episode is the first WHM ever where I couldn't wait for it to be over. I really couldn't care about all that Simpsons trivia and there were so few laughs for a WHM episode. The WLM Citizen Kane episode was funnier! Only Chris seemed to really stick to his guns and provide the H in WHM.

This was the first episode in a long time (ever, maybe) that I turned off before halfway through. They always make the joke about pausing a movie and being upset that there is still a so much time left....that was me with this episode. I paused it for whatever reason, saw there was still 1 hour and 20 minutes left and just deleted it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It was almost a secret WLM episode for The Simpsons Movie of all things.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I liked it, but it did have more of a Talking Simpsons "feel" than WHM. I think behind the scenes stuff is sometimes really interesting and it might be cool if there was more research in a typical WHM.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I liked it for the most part too but it would be better as a separate podcast.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I enjoyed the episode and found all the behind-the-scenes talk interesting, but I also watched The Simpsons Movie for the first time (somehow) right beforehand and listened to the episode in chunks as I tend to do with WHM anyways. Hearing that the production was a lengthy, hostile, re-re-rewritten hodgepodged clusterfuck makes a lot of sense considering the end product feels held together with dental floss. I counted four laughs during the movie, which is just one more laugh than I got from Master of Disguise.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

This was definitely a We Love Simpsons episode, moreso than anything about the movie but I was fine with it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

https://twitter.com/Dbrasco37/status/1392881863665111042
Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Invalid Validation posted:

Huh. I thought they took a giant poo poo on it.