Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lady Naga posted:

"I have no strong investment in these characters"

"That's not what these characters are about and this movie is Bad because it doesn't respect whatever I think the characters actually are about"

I am not a particularly strong Catholic, but if someone made a straight-faced movie about Jesus going Charles Bronson on drug dealers, I'd probably take some umbrage with its concept on the grounds that they kinda don't get the whole "Jesus" thing. I get the impression Evil Mastermind was trying to say something similar: he doesn't particularly care that much about Batman or Superman, but BvS is still so utterly different from his understanding of those characters that it doesn't interest him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I am not a particularly strong Catholic, but if someone made a straight-faced movie about Jesus going Charles Bronson on drug dealers, I'd probably take some umbrage with its concept on the grounds that they kinda don't get the whole "Jesus" thing. I get the impression Evil Mastermind was trying to say something similar: he doesn't particularly care that much about Batman or Superman, but BvS is still so utterly different from his understanding of those characters that it doesn't interest him.
Yes, that. Thank you for wording better than I could.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

LORD OF BUTT posted:

(I get what you mean, though)

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

LORD OF BUTT posted:

No lie, I'd watch the poo poo out of that movie.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Empress Theonora posted:

I'm looking forward to this episode because it might be cathartic given the knowledge that since BvS is making tons of money they'll probably just keep moving movies like that forever.

I'm glad they'll keep making them like this because I really liked Man of Steel and while Batman v Superman has some issues like it too. I just want an internet nerdy show I pay attention to to agree with me on these two movies at least once.

Hope we get some good Eisenberg Luthor impressions.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

I probably would too, simply for the sheer insanity of the concept, but my first-glance reaction would be more like :stonklol:.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

LORD OF BUTT posted:

This comparison makes no sense considering there aren't decades of media presenting alternate takes on Jesus.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lady Naga posted:

This comparison makes no sense considering there aren't decades of media presenting alternate takes on Jesus.

Er... in the sense that it's more like centuries of media, you're right, but otherwise, huh?

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 28, 2016

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Given how so much of the rest of genre movies are dominated by explosions and cynicism and killing everybody, I feel like the more traditional idealistic take on Superman is something that's inherently valuable and worth trying to preserve, even if a particular characterization of a decades-old superhero isn't necessarily sacrosanct or whatever.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Remember that this is the forum which made a 300 page dossier about how TVTropes is not to be trusted

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
The movie was boring

It wasn't even bad in a fun, what-the-Christ way, it was just badly paced and impossible to care about. I'd rather rewatch Batman and Robin or Daredevil than sit through BvS again.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I always enjoyed this version.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I'm sure this has been covered, but both versions of the Keanu Reeve's involvement in THE WATCHER are actually true. He himself says that his name was falsified and as he couldn't conclusively prove it he did it because it was a tiny role instead of going through a legal battle. Then his role got beefed up on top of that. Clearly something was up because he refused to promote the movie when it came out.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Empress Theonora posted:

Given how so much of the rest of genre movies are dominated by explosions and cynicism and killing everybody, I feel like the more traditional idealistic take on Superman is something that's inherently valuable and worth trying to preserve, even if a particular characterization of a decades-old superhero isn't necessarily sacrosanct or whatever.

I would argue that Snyder Kal-El is every bit as idealistic as Donner Kal-El.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ghost emoji posted:

The movie was boring

It wasn't even bad in a fun, what-the-Christ way, it was just badly paced and impossible to care about. I'd rather rewatch Batman and Robin or Daredevil than sit through BvS again.

I kinda love Batman and Robin, honestly. The tedious stuff about Alfred and Alicia Silverstone drags, but I kind like the silver aginess of it all.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Eric Movie posted:

It's OK to like a movie and if it has to be this one, I mean... geez

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Er... in the sense that it's more like centuries of media, you're right, but otherwise, huh?

Ah yes all those different takes on Jesus and his origin story like:

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

So uh...the episode is already up?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy poo poo, it's 2h 9m long. Longest episode by a pretty big margin if memory serves.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lady Naga posted:

There's four in the source itself. Outside of that, just off the top of my head there's Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, The Last Temptation of Christ, The Passion of the Christ, Jesus Christ: Superstar, and Zeffirelli's Jesus of Nazareth- if I dug into it a bit, I'd probably find even more.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

Lady Naga posted:

Picking one element that has remained relatively static and ignoring the rest seems wilfully argumentative. Do you seriously not get the idea that Jesus has been interpreted in different ways over time? Are you actually saying you think that isn't true?

And by contrast things have remained static about Batman and Superman over time, whilst other elements of their characters have been changed in different portrayals. The fact that there have been some changes doesn't mean everything has been up for grabs at all times. Some things have remained constant, or at least changed only at a slow pace.

I don't like some elements of the "not my Superman" mindset, but the idea that a character seems off isn't complete philistinism. These are shared cultural properties. No one has the ability to completely wrench them out of everyone else's grasp. Much like Jesus I guess.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Look you can't just compare Superman to some flawless Mary Sue like Jesus. Superman is an important character.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tender Bender posted:

Look you can't just compare Superman to some flawless Mary Sue like Jesus. Superman is an important character.

Well played.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

ravenkult posted:

So uh...the episode is already up?

Neato, thanks for the heads-up, wouldn't have thought to check the Episodes page!

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Holy poo poo, it's 2h 9m long. Longest episode by a pretty big margin if memory serves.

This episode is longer than Star Wars

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

I'm sure this has been covered, but both versions of the Keanu Reeve's involvement in THE WATCHER are actually true. He himself says that his name was falsified and as he couldn't conclusively prove it he did it because it was a tiny role instead of going through a legal battle. Then his role got beefed up on top of that. Clearly something was up because he refused to promote the movie when it came out.

This is a more hilarious story than what happens in Bowfinger, why wasn't it made into a movie?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Marketing New Brain posted:

This is a more hilarious story than what happens in Bowfinger, why wasn't it made into a movie?

I would imagine Keanu would rather forget that he made The Watcher than commemorate it.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
A good appetizer to this would be their predictions from 2013: http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/7/d/f/7df...ff67619d26eb2d4

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

quote:

PLUS: Nick Nolte as Grandpa Sajdak in A Steve Sajdak Thanksgiving.
SOLD

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

How bad of an idea is it to listen to this episode while at the gym

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

"Looks like Metallo runs Kentucky!"

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
I'm actually still interested in seeing Batman v Superman despite the reviews but haven't gotten a chance to go see it yet, so I'm skipping today's episode until then. Instead, I've been listening to some of the older side episodes that I hadn't listened to yet. I started the "Star Trek Into Darkness" On-Screen episode looking forward to them ripping into that piece of garbage movie, but nope. They all loved it, and I think one or two even said it was their favorite movie of that summer. :wtc:

So yep, it's certainly OK to like a bad movie.

edit: On a more positive note, the "Top Five Movie Deaths" episode is great

Eh! Frank fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Mar 29, 2016

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

How bad of an idea is it to listen to this episode while at the gym

Do you pee?

You will.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Eh! Frank posted:

I'm actually still interested in seeing Batman v Superman despite the reviews but haven't gotten a chance to go see it yet, so I'm skipping today's episode until then. Instead, I've been listening to some of the older side episodes that I hadn't listened to yet. I started the "Star Trek Into Darkness" On-Screen episode looking forward to them ripping into that piece of garbage movie, but nope. They all loved it, and I think one or two even said it was their favorite movie of that summer. :wtc:

So yep, it's certainly OK to like a bad movie.

edit: On a more positive note, the "Top Five Movie Deaths" episode is great

I can't fathom of anyone liking INTO DARKNESS. I would actually prefer to watch BvS again than watch that, though it does have an excellent opening.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The gang's Holly Hunter impersonation is still utterly indistinguishable from their Gary Busey impersonation, I see.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The gang's Holly Hunter impersonation is still utterly indistinguishable from their Gary Busey impersonation, I see.

To be fair they admitted as much in the BvS episode! :v:

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Vosgian Beast posted:

North of their Louie Anderson but south of their Nolte.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
This has to be the third or fourth time a movie review/comedy group I follow did an ep on BvS and the universal negative reaction to Martha never stops being great.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
I keep mistaking their Nolte impression for Sam Kinison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Guy Mann posted:

This has to be the third or fourth time a movie review/comedy group I follow did an ep on BvS and the universal negative reaction to Martha never stops being great.

My personal favorite was Holly Hunter gasping and stammering at the pissjar.