Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
you had to play a lot to get house points though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

You say that like it's a good thing.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Nitramster posted:

We can hardly get people to play the full game let alone a worse version of it.

So I got the T25 Pilot from the halloween event. I played a couple games in it, damage wasn't that great, mobility is okay, gets blown up very easily. I don't think I'll even buy equipment for it. Not seeing it getting any play, major bummer I'm so bored of my type and T34 rotation.

If you can find a way to like it and stick with it some, it's one of the very best credit earners.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Turmoilx posted:

it needs some buff to its gun handling before i think of enjoying it.

i dont know why i did it..i just seen a 1M savings and did it ..its done i cant redo it ..it was on saaaaallleeeee (dont worry ill never use it just adding to the collection while stuff is "cheap"

I think it needs a bit better soft stats for turret bloom and an alpha boost to be competitive against other tier 10's.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Franken > Stein

MONSTER TANKS HOOOOOOOOOO

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
When I finally got into a game I started up as the Stein and thought it was terrible. I got into another match as the Franken and this time the game told me how to shoot the other gun (Q or double click LMB). I'd like to try the Stein again now I know this, but the queues just time me out again now :sigh:

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I've only done 3 battles, but so far I haven't been in queue longer than maybe two seconds.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
What sort of special rewards come out of the coffins?

e: Also, should I get the t110e3 or just stick with the t95

Azhais fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 27, 2017

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Only buy tier 10s when they're discounted for On Track events.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
I got x2 L-60 tanks despite already having one. Should I expect gold or credits?

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
so the pumpkin gamemode crashed this is what general chat was like afterwards https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r20PyCkDETE

this game mode makes me the most :flaccid: ever

Azhais posted:

What sort of special rewards come out of the coffins?

ok so i finished all the missions guess what was in the loot box for getting 10 boss kills? a pleb credit booster (the bad 25%+ kind) so theres kinda no point in doing this game mode more after you got the 250k and 100k rewards /50% credit booster (took me 12 hours) way to make a rewarding game :zombie:

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 28, 2017

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Turmoilx posted:

ok so i finished all the missions guess what was in the loot box for getting 10 boss kills? a pleb credit booster (the bad 25%+ kind) so theres kinda no point in doing this game mode more after you got the 250k and 100k rewards /50% credit booster (took me 12 hours) way to make a rewarding game :zombie:

Welcome to my world.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

this game is at its all time low most bugs ever today and server issues im surprised they didnt close it down for maintenance yet , as that youtube video shows how others are reacting to this *special* game too..hehe thats gold right there

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 28, 2017

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Cardiac posted:

Isn't the whole point of using the howitzer to get those "holy poo poo full HE pen"?

When it happens it's pleasantly surprising, but you can't guarantee that in any way due to the gun handling. The point of the howitzer is the ability to damage anything that you hit, and occasionally obliterate a lightly-armored target. Oh yeah, don't forget the blatantly P2W gold shells. :rolleyes:

-Anders posted:

I bought a really cheap Chromebook for doing Internetty stuff, and somehow it runs World of Tanks: Blitz really well (Not the regular kind though).
Is there a thread or a goon community about the mobile version somewhere?

I occasionally post about Blitz here, but there's no thread dedicated to it. You could certainly use our WoT Discord server for voice chat or whatever. I also post extensively about Chromebooks in the Laptop megathread, btw.

It took me a few seconds to realize when you wrote that you got Blitz running on a CB, that actually meant the Android version. :downs: The thing is, you can play Blitz on Windows (through either Steam or the Windows Store) with a mouse and keyboard, and that's a far superior control method. I suppose you might be able to do the same on the ChromeOS if you connect a mouse, though.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
AMX M4 49 L is crazy good. Much better at raking in credits then I anticipated.

moolchaba fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 28, 2017

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

moolchaba posted:

AMX M4 49 L is crazy good. Much better at raking in credits then I anticipated.

It really is. People under estimate it and pubbies are too dumb to hit the weak spot.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
Did you know the derp gun on the O-I can fully pen the side of an ARL-44?

It will also do the entire health pool of an ARL as well.

Top tip, never park side on to an O-I

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The 3 days after the t-34-m was given out for the missions were 3 glorious days of full pen KV2 shots.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Did you know the derp gun on the O-I can fully pen the side of an ARL-44?

It will also do the entire health pool of an ARL as well.

Top tip, never park side on to an O-I

Did you know the Hetzer's 105 mm howitzer with its 64 mm pen AP shells can fully penetrate (i.e., overmatch) the FRONT of the ARL's top turret (because the sides actually wrap around to the front?) Ask me how I found out!

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
The Japanese medium lime was fun for discovering how important armor is for handling HE. Had the old mini-Leo drive up behind me and got full HE pens.

Come to think of it, the CDC was a good lesson in this too.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Atomizer posted:

Did you know the Hetzer's 105 mm howitzer with its 64 mm pen AP shells can fully penetrate (i.e., overmatch) the FRONT of the ARL's top turret (because the sides actually wrap around to the front?) Ask me how I found out!

Their nerf to the ARL 44's armor will never stop being funny to me.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

so i have this bright idea of saving credits by grinding credits and buying tier 5-10 when the line is on track ..this time it didnt pay off very well i actually think i lost millions this time :thunk: i cant figure it out maybe this on track just wasn't good tanks or something, ill never be playing these.

..i rebought tanks -excluding the tier 10 i keep those always- im never going to play but i *saved credits* really smart to save credits guys, now time to bust my rear end in this new battle event mode to get my 100k!

new game mode funnies https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jgDhh8nKgo

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 29, 2017

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hellsau posted:

Their nerf to the ARL 44's armor will never stop being funny to me.

The side armor wrapping around to the front is the worst part, but it's just coincidental that a 42% tomato got lucky, loaded the low-pen and barely situationally useful (i.e. only against low tiers for the purpose of overmatching) AP on the 105 (the Hetzer doesn't carry enough ammo to allow for a usable variety!), and sprayed it into the perfect spot. I will never not be salty about that. :saddowns:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

:siren: Yo, for the next ~23 hours or until they sell out, you can get a refurb'd G-Sync monitor for $250 on meh.com :siren:

It's the AOC G2460PG, a 24" 144 Hz (180 Hz OC) TN panel that seems to have good reviews. There's also a $150 Philips plain 144 Hz panel, and a $200 28" 4k panel with Free-sync (if you use an AMD GPU); I have the latter 4k monitor (from a previous meh sale a couple months ago) and it's very nice as a secondary display, plus it ran Overwatch fine (at 4k on my 1070!) despite the ~30 ms latency (there's a boost feature though.) Going back to the first monitor, though, it's very rare to find G-Sync displays that cheap, so if you've got an nVidia GPU this is probably a good deal for you!

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

...30ms what..!? on the monitor or the game i read 30ms on the monitor

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Turmoilx posted:

...30ms what..!? on the monitor or the game i read 30ms on the monitor

Supposedly (based on reviews I had read before purchase) the input lag is around 30 ms. The actual refresh time is listed at 1 ms. I just went in Overwatch and played around a little (with that "overdrive" feature set to medium per recommendations) and the input lag didn't seem to be an issue, even with V-sync on. I'm not a pro player or anything, but I could happily game on that thing at UHD or FHD resolution. It's Free-sync though, not G-sync, and as I said I have an nVidia GPU so that doesn't help me, which is why I'm going to try out that other 24" display.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Atomizer posted:

:siren: Yo, for the next ~23 hours or until they sell out, you can get a refurb'd G-Sync monitor for $250 on meh.com :siren:

It's the AOC G2460PG, a 24" 144 Hz (180 Hz OC) TN panel that seems to have good reviews. There's also a $150 Philips plain 144 Hz panel, and a $200 28" 4k panel with Free-sync (if you use an AMD GPU); I have the latter 4k monitor (from a previous meh sale a couple months ago) and it's very nice as a secondary display, plus it ran Overwatch fine (at 4k on my 1070!) despite the ~30 ms latency (there's a boost feature though.) Going back to the first monitor, though, it's very rare to find G-Sync displays that cheap, so if you've got an nVidia GPU this is probably a good deal for you!

How much of a difference does G-Sync make? I was planning on getting a monitor, is the jump from a plain old 1080p 60Hz monitor to a 1080p 144Hz G-Sync an appreciable difference? $250 is a lot of money.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hellsau posted:

How much of a difference does G-Sync make? I was planning on getting a monitor, is the jump from a plain old 1080p 60Hz monitor to a 1080p 144Hz G-Sync an appreciable difference? $250 is a lot of money.

It depends; do you:
  • notice screen tearing, and,
  • does it bother you? If so,
  • do you use V-sync to deal with it? Because,
  • V-sync introduces input lag by delaying frames from the GPU, which can adversely affect your gameplay. Plus,
  • have you tried Adaptive V-sync (which also works on AMD cards) which only enables it when necessary?

G-Sync (and high-refresh-rate panels) is considered to be a highly-desirable, albeit expensive, positive technology for gaming. FreeSync is AMD's Active Sync implementation, and is cheaper due to the lack of royalties or the special scaler module that nVidia requires in the monitor, but FreeSync also has different "tiers" of functionality (for example, the inclusion of Low Framerate Compensation or the range of refresh rates where it's active, say 45-75 Hz; see the "monitors" tab in this link,) which means that cheap FreeSync monitors also have limited usability, whereas the more expensive G-Sync monitors just work across the entire refresh rate range (in the case of the discussed monitor, that's 0-180 Hz) and support the standard feature set, including their equivalent of LFC; nVidia actually certifies all G-Sync monitors, and they all have to pass a set of high standards. G-Sync is more expensive, but has some justification for its cost. I would not jump into one of the highest end G-Sync monitors like this Acer Predator that I think Exia bought so that's why I'm starting with this AOC.

Both of the aforementioned Adaptive Sync technologies adjust the monitor's refresh rate to the frame rate supplied by the GPU, eliminating tearing that way without introducing input lag. Adaptive Sync is also helpful in low-framerate situations, making demanding games feel smoother than they're actually running by reducing visual evidence of the low framerate.

Is it worth it? Probably; if you have an nVidia GPU (and I think you still have the 1070 like I do) then you should find a G-Sync panel a helpful upgrade. At worst, if you decided you didn't like it you could probably resell it for what you originally paid considering that it's a legit G-Sync monitor and usually goes for $100 more. It is only a 24" FHD panel though, so you might pass on it if you want a significantly larger display, and/or want an ultra-wide, and/or want to run at a higher resolution.

So if screen tearing bothers you at all, and/or you weren't looking to go in a completely different direction than FHD@24" for your next monitor, give it a shot. It might be $250, but that's the cheapest G-Sync monitor available, and you probably wouldn't lose any money if you didn't like it and wanted to sell it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think World of Warplanes is my new go-to game. It's like I have the rapid fire of the Church III and the speed of a Chaffee. I even have an above 50% winrate!

If you told me that'd be the case last year I wouldn't have believed you.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

RandomPauI posted:

I think World of Warplanes is my new go-to game. It's like I have the rapid fire of the Church III and the speed of a Chaffee. I even have an above 50% winrate!

If you told me that'd be the case last year I wouldn't have believed you.
If you tell us that'll be the case a year from now we won't believe you.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

Hellsau posted:

i went from 1080p 60hz to this ~Dell S2417DG~ a bit less than a year ago 1440p g sync 165hz , night and day difference friend its so smooth (my first one died but they sent me a new one free within 3 days) it was 400bux ..pretty great compared to the 700$ ones i seen when i was looking for the one i got, 4k monitors just dont have that crazy refresh rate i need to see tanks fast so i can get ammo racks easier last i checked for a reasonable price

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 29, 2017

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Turmoilx posted:

i went from 1080p 60hz to this ~Dell S2417DG~ a bit less than a year ago 1440p g sync 165hz , night and day difference friend its so smooth (my first one died but they sent me a new one free within 3 days) it was 400bux ..pretty great compared to the 700$ ones i seen when i was looking for the one i got, 4k monitors just dont have that crazy refresh rate i need to see tanks fast so i can get ammo racks easier (kappa) last i checked for a reasonable price

Did...did you just...

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Mesadoram posted:

It really is. People under estimate it and pubbies are too dumb to hit the weak spot.

It is my favorite tank in the game atm

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

no that wasnt me are you trying to frame me or something

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 29, 2017

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

BadLlama posted:

It is my favorite tank in the game atm

Have people forgotten to just shoot it in the commanders hatch?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

Have people forgotten to just shoot it in the commanders hatch?

Kind of, but if you are abusing the depression the hatch isn't completely easy to hit.

A lot of people go for the lfp not knowing its like 230mm effective or something really good.

These event tanks are kind of fun actually.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

BadLlama posted:

Kind of, but if you are abusing the depression the hatch isn't completely easy to hit.

A lot of people go for the lfp not knowing its like 230mm effective or something really good.

These event tanks are kind of fun actually.

Yeah i've seen my team melt to one trying to shoot its lower plate while I screamed at them in chat to shoot the loving hatch or you know, flank it but pubbies.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Welp, got a temp ban.

Spent hours patching the client on the PC at my parent's place over the 4-day-weekend, played four games, suddenly got shot repeatedly by a dude that was bitching me out in chat, so I figure "dude's on 1% health, I'll just pop him with no penalties, no biggie", and instantly turn blue and eat a temp ban.

Turns out my dumb secondary gun had apparently been shooting him while I was sidescraping for some reason. Never even hit the q key, but there we are.

Poop. Wanted to reap some dumb rewards and consumables to sell.

Realtalk: Is there anything of value worth playing the Halloween game mode for?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Turmoilx posted:

i went from 1080p 60hz to this ~Dell S2417DG~ a bit less than a year ago 1440p g sync 165hz , night and day difference friend its so smooth (my first one died but they sent me a new one free within 3 days) it was 400bux ..pretty great compared to the 700$ ones i seen when i was looking for the one i got, 4k monitors just dont have that crazy refresh rate i need to see tanks fast so i can get ammo racks easier last i checked for a reasonable price

Yup, that's a solid gaming monitor and it's a better choice than the AOC (higher resolution) but the price difference highlights just how expensive G-Sync is and why the $250 AOC is such a good deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Welp, got a temp ban.

Spent hours patching the client on the PC at my parent's place over the 4-day-weekend, played four games, suddenly got shot repeatedly by a dude that was bitching me out in chat, so I figure "dude's on 1% health, I'll just pop him with no penalties, no biggie", and instantly turn blue and eat a temp ban.

Turns out my dumb secondary gun had apparently been shooting him while I was sidescraping for some reason. Never even hit the q key, but there we are.

Poop. Wanted to reap some dumb rewards and consumables to sell.

Realtalk: Is there anything of value worth playing the Halloween game mode for?

Just the credits is all I'm seeing as decent for the franken and stein event. People are shooting teammates in those things all the time. I sorta wish we could get secondary turrets in the real game... or at least let me shoot my 50 cal!!!