Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Prologue: Stomping Grounds

♪~~♪

Platea Bogard stands as one of the major trading posts in the entirety of Ivalice not attached to any major body of water. Unsurprisingly this makes it only slightly larger than a small city, but it remains critical to the inland states and as such large amounts of food and water tend to come through the city. True to its name, the city features a road encompassing its entirety upon which all trade occurs, with a residential area and standing Judgement outpost in the inner circle. While Clan Bogard officially owns and oversees the city, they had left peacekeeping to the occupying Judges in the time before the Judge Separation War. Now that the war's over, the clan continues to house the Judges and uses them as free peacekeeping, one of Maus Bogard's many methods of avoiding any expenses in operating the city.

"So, it's only reasonable to expect anything and anyone could end up here," says a young hooded girl dressed in loose clothing. "If you go, none of the good judges will still be around. Y'know, 'cause you're the only one who isn't extremely lazy around here, Aino. Bogard Strip doesn't really need Judges patrolling the streets, but you just know something bad's gonna happen if the only Judge worth being scared of just runs off because someone said 'Redwings'. We're inland! How do you know they're not just trying to get you away? C'mon, Aino!"

This headache inducing girl stands as the best thing Aino has for stomping out theft in the markets. She might just dart off at the first sign of trouble, but she certainly knows how to sniff out trouble. Useful enough to suffer her nagging, at least. The Judge and the one-time Thief continue walking along the Platea, passing by the sights and sounds of a bustling trade center.

The clanging of pots and pans emits from one of the buildings they pass, accompanied by a rather heavy man's booming voice. "Ah, no, but you've got to be adding zuh ashes first, we need ze char, ze flah-vor, yah little Jamstah-ve?" Compared to the size of the blue-garbed girl advising him and his very red face, one might manage to mistake him for a bomb primed to detonate. "I 'ave been cooking with ze bomb's ash for my whole life, and you are telling to me zat I 'ave been feeding zese fine people garbage? What iz it zat you 'ave learned with such gah-sto, little Jah-mstave? What iz it zat you insist?"

While the two cooks battle it out, they use a pair of volunteering customers as taste testers. The surprisingly muscular viera finds herself right at home with the absurd amounts of ahriman eye in bomb broth, but the small gria has her work cut out for her just to finish the six bowls and counting already set in front of her. It's hard to complain, though, since it does seem to be free. The two continue to trade stories with each other through the wall of food.

Sat farther away from the counter, a lightly armored young man peruses a note handed to him by a similarly young magus wearing a rather strange robe and a hat adorned with the customary crescent moon that denotes accomplished magi.

Crumpled Parchment posted:

Hi! I know you don't know me, but I've got to tell you something very important. I'm aware that you've been looking around for a girl, name kind of like that crest on my hat, and I know where she's been off to. It's sort of dangerous to just go writing this down in case you just throw this away, but just trust me and I'll be around, okay? She might be getting in a lot of trouble, and I pretty well doubt you want that, so let's work together!

Looking up from the scribblings, Sol spots the girl on her way out of the tavern. Which doesn't quite fit, because he'd just met her walking away from here. She taps the brim of her hat in his direction before going through the doors, swapping spots with a grim looking bangaa.

Not here, probably. Lojak could tell bomb ash from its counterpart when he got close enough, and it helped to see the two cooks flinging it every which way like children at a year's end celebration. He'd heard a shipment of grenade ash was going to be passing through here, and that meant it'd be scattered all over the city in bits just to get through the market undetected. Bomb's ash was little more than a firestarting agent, no more dangerous than any other fire. Grenade ash, though, had levelled Mon Gardenia's Grand Orthodoxy Church just last month. The Clandestine were using the stuff to destroy monuments, and it isn't useful for much else save its toxicity. But just finding the stuff and getting rid of it wasn't going to stop it at the source.

The Judge and her mischievous companion stop in front of the tavern. "What do I have to do to convince you, Aino? Really, the Platea's gonna just fall apart without you around at a time like this! I might not have any proof, but... C'mon! You always trust me!"

Welcome to Ivalice. Include your detailed character sheet in your first post for my easy reference, and post away! Also there's really only so much class art, so consider anything I use to be mostly just the outfit. The thief and the magus are not the same person, but I couldn't find good art of the other female thief outfit that actually has the hood up. I expect this to be a recurring theme but also I refuse not to use class art because it's all pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Sol - HP: 60/60 | END: 60/60 | RES: 80/80 | DEF: 4

Great choices are made out of many small decisions. Where one goes, who one meets, and those one chooses to trust amongst that group...these are just a few of the factors that make up the choices that change the course of one's life entirely. As he looked down upon the scribbled paper, Sol made one of those small decisions. He had not expected to find anything at the Platea. This visit to the city was supposed to be strictly business, nothing more than the retrieval of a package for Master Viers' associates as a show of their good faith and cooperation...but it seemed there was more to be found amidst its human currents than he had thought. He would have run after her, but he had been taught enough to not act like a child when presented with a shiny distraction. Methodically, he folded the note and placed it in one of his pockets, then produced enough gil to amply cover what he had ordered. Only once all his business was in order did Sol set out to find the witch girl...at a very brisk pace, admittedly. So brisk, in fact, that he nearly slammed against one of the tallest Bangaa he'd ever seen.

"Excuse me. I didn't mean to cut you off." He said, shaking his head, disappointed with himself and his anxiety. Serenity and patience, serenity and patience... "There's someone I must speak with whom I cannot afford to lose. I must go!" He said, and motioned to move past and around the great man. He needed to find out what that lady knew about Her, one way or another!

pre:
Name: Sol Sidonbrook
Job: Star Knight
Concept: Knight Of Torn Loyalties
Sign: Gemini
Sex: Male
Hair Color: Silver
Eye Color: Blue
Hobbies: Theatre, riddles, watching sunset and sunrise, stargazing
Favorite Food: Valendian Escalope
Allies: Master Adimarch Viers, The Order of the Burning Stars (in a way)
Enemies: Luna Achenar (of sorts), Master Barsom Cross
Love Interests: Luna Achenar
Brave: 70	Faith: 60

Health: 60	Endurance: 60/80	Defense: 4

Abilities			Rank			Cost		Notes
Agile			         2			 2
Attack			         4			 4
Beautiful			 1			 1
Endurance Reserve	         3			 3
Intuitive			 2			 2
Iron-Willed			 3			 3
Combat Expert		 	 4			 2	
Quick			         2			 2
Sixth Sense			 2			 2
Strong			         2			 2
Tough			         2			 2
Vigorous			 2			 2
Total			         31			 31

Weaknesses			Rank			Cost		Notes
Code of Conduct			 2			 -2	Nobility and Temple
Compulsion         		 1			 -1     @
Fear		 		 1			 -1	Dark Places
Fussy			         3			 -3	*
Kind-Hearted		         2			 -2
Love Interest (Luna Achenar)	 3			 -3	+
Love Magnet			 2			 -2
Obsession			 2			 -2	-
Outcast			         1			 -1	#
Overconfident		 	 3	     		 -3
Rival (Luna)			 3			 -3
Servitude 			 2			 -2	To Master Adimarch Viers
Stubborn			 3			 -3
Vulnerable (Dark)		 1			 -1
Total			         29			 -29

@: Observation of Celestial Bodies
*: The World Should Be Better Than This
+: Reciprocated, but impossible due to conflicting loyalties
-: With convincing Luna to abandon her crusade
#: For being the squire of Viers the Betrayer

Attacks		Multiplier		Cost		Perks/Flaws
Starfall Blade		x6		0 EN  Area, Ranged, Strength-Powered/Unwieldy 2
Blackhole Saber		x4		0 EN Area, Ranged, Stunning/Delayed, Unwieldy 2 
Sun Flash		x0		5 EN	Area, Blinding/No Damage
Sol Blazer		x10		35 EN		^ 

ALL Attacks: Weapon (requires sword to perform)
^: Sol Blazer Perks/Flaws (Overwhelming, Effective 4, Continued Effect 2/Open To Attack) 

Transient People fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 23, 2015

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Mellt
HP: 60/60 | END: 60/60 [40/40] | DEF: 4

FF Style Theme | Cool Theme

Mellt spoons the delicious soup out, and then tips the bowl up to gulp down the remaining broth. She slams the bowl back down on the table, "Mmmm-ahh! That was great!" She pushes the increasing piles of food and dishes around so she can see, pounding on the counter for attention. "Hey, you two cooks got anything else?"

She turns her attention back to the gria. "You're going to have to do better than that to keep up with me!" Mellt grins, then continues, "So, anyways these guys are up in the tower, making rude gestures at us and saying there's no way they're letting us through, and we should just turn around and go back down the mountain. Forget that! We'd been climbing for days to get to that pass, and it was cold too! Rymr and Jeruun - I told you about them, right, my sister and the guy who hired us? - started arguing about if they could get around the fort or scale the walls after dark, all that tactical stuff. But I was really cold and hungry and annoyed, so I cast a strength spell on myself, and knocked on their door a couple times - with my Stonemaul! You should have seen the looks on everyone's faces when the gate fell over. Course, then we had to fight the guys inside but at least I got a warm meal that night."

Mellt hefts the massive warhammer when she mentions it, then drops it back onto the floor with a loud thump. The tall Viera pokes through her leftovers to see if there's anything tasty left. "Your turn!"

Character Sheet posted:

Concept: Raucous Adventurer

Abilities: 25
Agile +2
Combat Expert +3
Endurance Reserve +2
Magic, Arcane +4
Magic, Witchcraft +4
Quick +2
Strong +4
Tough +2
Vigorous +2

Weaknesses: 20
Absent-Minded -1
Airhead -1
Awkward Size -1
Compulsion [Snacks] -1
Easily Distracted -1
Fear -1 [Spiders]
Impulsive -2
Kind-Hearted -2
Love Magnet -2
Naive -1
Overconfident -3
Rival -2 [Rymr, Viera Spellblade]
Rude -1
Stubborn -1

Defense: 4
Health: 60
Endurance: 60 [40]

Attacks:
Stonemaul - Perks: Effective x2 - Flaws: Unwieldy, Weapon - Roll 7 - DX 7 - END 0
Golden Lion Crusher - Perks: Effective x2, Reach - Flaws: Unwieldy, Weapon - Roll 7 - DX 7 - END 5
Bronze/Iron Tortoise Breaker - Perks: Armor Piercing x2 OR Barrier Buster x2, Effective - Flaws: Unwieldy, Weapon - Roll 7 - DX 6 - END 5
Hailstorm Technique - Perks: Multi-Target x2, Effective - Flaws: Unwieldy x2, Weapon - Roll 7 - DX 6 - END 10
Falling Meteor Strike - Perks: Area Effect, Effective - Flaws: Unwieldy, Weapon - Roll 7 - DX 6 - END 5
MELLTDOWN! - Perks: Effective x6 - Flaws: Unwieldy x2, Weapon - Roll 7 - DX 11 - END 15

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 13, 2015

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Judge Aino
HP: 50/50 | MP: 40/40 | ATK: 9d | DEF: 5d | Init: 4d

Aino halts before the doors to the tavern, looking down at her protege. The Judge puts a gentle hand on the girl's shoulder, and the corners of the viera's mouth rise.

"I do trust you, Fio. That's why you're responsible for the Strip while I'm gone. If what you say about my peers were true, then I'd need someone who knows what they're doing to keep an eye on this place, hmm?"

The smile fades, and the Judge's expression hardens. "But I must be certain. I cannot leave a resurgent Redwings to chance."

pre:
Judge Aino
Fencer/Sniper

Health	50
Endur	40
Init	4d

Abilities	(23)
Agile 2
Armored 2
Attack 2
Combat Expert 3
Connected (Judges) 3
Evasive 1
Intimidating 1 
Iron-Willed 1
Knowledge (Judges) +2
Knowledge (Crime) +4
Position of Power (Judge) 3
Quick 2
Tough 1

Weaknesses	(18)
Arrogant 1
Bizarre Appearance 1
Code of Conduct (Judge's Oath) 2
Dependency (Ruby pin) 2
Emotionless 1
Impaired Sense (Hearing) 1
Infamous 2
Pacifist 1
Rival (Clan Redwings) 2
Secret 2
Servitude 1
Stubborn 1
Wanted 1

Perks and Flaws
Attack
	Piercing Blow
	Armor Piercing (+5)
	Reach (+5)
	Delayed (-5)

Beso Toxico
	Ranged (+0)
	Impairing (+10)

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Lojak
HP: 60/60 END: 50/50 DEF: 2 AMR: 3

Lojak looked down, his thoughts interrupted by what appeared to be a small hume, "Then don't wassste your time apologizing, boy!" His volume may have been a little loud--a bad habit, but the kid was just the sort to bring it out, mouth saying one thing actions another.

Looking back up, he continued to enter the establishment, focusing on or, as it might appear, glaring at the cooks. While what they were flinging about was not what he'd been searching for it'd be bad form to ignore them entirely. After a few exaggerated sniffs he finished his approach and remarked, "Mighty fine assshes, those. Where'd you get them?"

Hiding bits of grenade ash in with bomb ash would be a decent smuggling strategy, among others. What the cooks were using was clean, obviously, as well as what they had back in their storerooms, probably, but they had to have bought it from somewhere; if they procured it from your average market street vendor speaking to them would serve little purpose beyond exploring on his own, but perhaps if they knew of or even purchased through other channels they could point him in a different direction. Any lead would help. Trade secretsss be damned.

pre:
Bangaa Defender
Name: Lojak ("Jack")
Sign: Libra
Hair: None
Skin: Green
Eye: Brown

Health: 60   Endurance: 50   Defense: 2(4 Barrier) (3 Armor)

Abilities: 25
Ability:           Level:   Notes:                                 
Armored              3      -
Attack               2      -
Barrier              4(2)   Defender Job
Combat Expert        2      -
Heightened Sense     3      Bangaa sense of smell
Intimidating         2      -
Iron-Willed          3      -
Knowledge            2(1)   Can fly airships
Life Support         2      -
Strong               2      -
Tough                2      +20 Health
Vigorous             1      +10 Endurance

Weaknesses: -20
Weakness:          Level:   Notes:                                 
Awkward Size         -1     Very Tall
Bizarre Appearance   -1     Scarred and missing an eye
Code of Conduct      -2     Never lies
Endurance Use        -2     Iron-Willed, 10 endurance cost
Focus                -2     Barrier requires his greatsword
Hatred               -3     Zombie Powder, while not without proper uses, is hated entirely
Impaired Sense       -1     Sight, he's missing an eye
Rude                 -3     Part of his honesty, he speaks his mind and it's usually crass
Unlucky              -2     He curses the heavens and they've responded in kind
Vulnerability        -1     Electricity
Wanted               -2     Zombie Dance, want him gone

Command:           Roll:  DX:  Cost:  Notes:                       
Fight               4     5     -     -
Defend
  Barrier           4     -     -     Magical Barrier from Sword
  Defend Combo      4     6     10    Effective, Barrier Buster
  Drop Weapon       6     5     20    Accuratex2, Disarming
  Tremor            4     5      5    Impairing, Reach, Recoil
  Mow Down          4     6     15    Area Effect, Effective

Decus fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 6, 2015

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Felize Jamstave
HP: 40 | MP: 40 | ATK: 4 | DEF: 4 | SPD: 4

Felize exhales pure exasperation for a moment, squinting. "Sure, if you want bitter in whatever you're making. If you heat ash hotter than a candle-flame, it pops, that's why you have the holes throughout your omelet. Which gives it that light, fluffy... burnt flavor." Squinting, she takes a pinch, and sprinkles it on top of a quiche. "What you do, is just put a pinch on top, just pass it through the oven-" She shoves in it, then immediately yanks it out. "- see how the ash is still just glowing red? Then- you serve it immediately." She slides it in front of Mellt. "Then the real flavor of the ash explodes in the mouth, not in the oven!" Putting her hands on her hips proudly, she looks over her shoulder at the chef. "People cook that way with ash because it's a simple, not because it's best."

She sighs. "Still, it's not the best part of the bomb, the best part is the core, but you know adventurers, always letting the things explode in their faces, so all that's left is the ash." Looking over to Lojak, she hmphs, reaching over for a blood orange as she peels it. "Who's asking? You here to eat?", she replies a little defensively.

pre:
Felize Jamstave, Gourmand of Monsters
Brave: 40 Faith: 40 Job: Gourmand Sign: Virgo

Ability		Level	Notes

Agile		2	-
Attack		3	See below
Beautiful	1	-
Evasive		2	-
Job		4	Gourmand, Unique Ability
Knowledge	2	Monsters
Magic, Arcane	4	Blue Magic
Sign		2	Virgo, Unique Ability

Weakness	Level	Notes

Airhead		2	-
Colored Magic	1	Blue Magic, Unique Weakness
Compulsion	1	Eating
Focus		2	Attack & Job require battle utensils
Hatred		2	Those who waste food.
Impulsive	1	-
Obsession	3	Cooking
Overconfident	2	-
Rude		1	-

Extras: Her Job can help rolls regarding finding, preparing, and crafting food. Her
Sign aids rolls where she might be industrious, analytical, efficient, or assists
others. Blue Magic means she cannot develop new spells normally; she has to eat part
of a monster to devise a new spell.

Gourmet Skill	DX	Cost	Perks			Flaws

Grill Flip	4	5	Fatiguing, Stunning	Inaccurate
Shish Kabob	4	5	Armor-Piercing		-
Tenderizer	4	5	Impairing		Unwieldy

Limit Break	DX	Cost	Perks			Flaws

Iron Chef	6	15	Effective 2, Overwhelm	Break

Blue Spell	Ability	Cost	DX	Perks			Flaws

Lifebreak	Attack	20 / -	5	Effective 1, Ranged	Restricted: Suffered a Complication
Mighty Guard	Armored	20 / -	-	-			-
White Wind	Healer	20 / -	-	Area Effect		Elaborate Gestures, Others Only

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!
Aubrey
Hp: 3o | Mp: 6o | Hit: 5 | Atk: 4 | Eva: 7 | Def: 2 | Spd: 5

Aubrey had been enjoying her quiet meal. She had worked all morning hunting down the so called Lindbur Wolf, which the locals claimed had been terrorizing their livestock. It had been no small task, the beast was surprisingly cunning but the reward was worth it. Good fortune further smiled on her when she stumbled into an apparent battle between this particular eatery's two cooks. She'd paid up front for a simple bowl of stew, only to find herself inundated with meal options before she'd even finished! She wasn't even sure where the giant braggart Viera had come from. An opportunist of some sort, no doubt drawn here by the ruckus the pair of chefs was generated in their game of one-upsmanship.

The Gria had been content to simply continue making the most of the situation, after all, flying was hard work and was an excellent way to work up an appetite. But Mellt, as she'd called herself, seemed all too quick to make light of the samurai's eating pace in between the tales of her exploits. To this, Aubrey had quietly, patiently remarked, "it's not a race. And hours after you are laying on the floor clutching your belly, groaning about how you ate too much, I will still be sitting here happily eating, happily content."

The winged girl watched the antics of the two cooks while Mellt seemed to ignore the Gria's patent advice and continued rambling about her brigand-smashing. When Aubrey was finally invited to speak, she politely obliged.

"Some time ago, the Count Monglane of Moorabella had conspired to unseat the Marquis of Camoa, who was a nephew of the Archduke of that time. The gambit had proven not quite as successful as the Count had hoped," Aubrey explained, waggling her fork at Mellt while speaking with her mouth half-full, "although Marquis Garin was assassinated, the plot had been exposed. Archduke Ceodore was furious, and along with the Golden Janissaries, I was dispatched to bring Monglane to justice aboard the Falcon."

"But the Count had learned of our coming, and tried to escape into the north in his airship," the Gria paused for another bite, enveloping a fork laden with spiced noodles before continuing, "but he could not outrun the Falcon. When we caught up, the guns of my companions were simply not accurate enough to be effective, so I flew from my ship to his, slew those guards of his who would not lay down their arms and then I took Monglane's head. With it, I flew back to the Falcon and later presented it to His Grace."

Stuffing her face with another mouthful the Gria wistfully sighed, her eyes looking off into some faraway place, "sometimes I wonder if those days were not the better ones."

Blinking, seemingly coming back to the present, she looked up at Mellt and smiled sheepishly as she slurped up the remainder of a noodle that had been dangling out of the corner of her mouth.

pre:

Gria Samurai

Health: 30   Endurance: 60   Defense: 7 (2 Armor)   Initiative: 5

Abilities: 26
Ability:           Level:   Notes:                                           
Agile                3      -
Attack               1      -
Cute!                2      Because the FFTA description says so.
Evasive              2      -
Flight               3      Gria have wings.
Gear                 1      See Equipment entry below
Iron-Willed          2      -
Knowledge            4      Iaido, Samurai Job Command Ability
Quick                3      -
Sixth Sense          2      -
Strong               1      -
Vigorous             2      +20 Endurance

Weaknesses: -21
Weakness:          Level:   Notes:                                           
Bizarre Appearance   -1     Gria are extremely rare this far east.
Code of Conduct      -2     Bushido. She's all chivalrous and such.
Frail                -1     -10 Health
Fussy                -1     -
Hatred               -2     Guns (= misguided Romandan assassins.)
Ineptitude           -2(-1) Chocobo Handling
Kind-Hearted         -1     -
Obsession            -2     Getting better katanas.
Overconfident        -1     She's the best she is at what she does.
Poor                 -3     Paying jobs are far and few between.
Sensitivity, Height  -1     She's short.
Stubborn             -2     -
Wanted               -3     By Weyland Almace, Archduke of Romanda.

Equipment:         Level:   Notes:                                           
(Katana) Asura       0      Enables certain Iaido Commands
(Armor) Hempen Robe  1      +2 Armor, -1 Vulnerability, Fire

Command:             Roll:  DX:  Cost:  Limit?: Notes:                       
Fight                 5      5    -      -      -
Iaido  (The weapon named in each command is required.)
  Asura, Fang         7      9    5      5      Sacrifices hit for power.
  Asura, Sword Slap   12     -    5      5      Auto-Paralyze for 5 turns.
  Asura, Spirit Blade 9      7    5      5      Fatiguing

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Mellt
HP: 60/60 | MP: 60/60 [40/40] | DEF: 4

Mellt immediately launches an assault on the quiche. She gestures at Aubrey with her fork, talking with her mouth full. "Hah! Eat too much? This much is barely a mid-afternoon snack!" She listens to Aubrey's story, and pounds on the table again. "The old days sound like they were fun! Airships are great. Hey, I'm here looking for adventure, and it sounds like that's something you've got some experience with. We should team up! It'll be great!" She reaches over and puts her arm around the gria's shoulder. "No one would stand in our way!"

Her plans are interrupted by the arrival of the nosy bangaa. "Hey, what's your problem, pal?" She stands up... and up... and up. Even for a Viera she's tall. Tall enough that her ears are getting smooshed by the ceiling in here. "You looking for trouble?"

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Aubrey
Hp: 3o/3o | Mp: 6o/6o | Hit: 5 | Atk: 4 | Eva: 7 | Def: 2 | Spd: 5

"I--," Aubrey started just as the weight of the Viera's arm came down upon her shoulder, "I'm just a simple wanderer, I'm not sure I'm the sort of companion you'd want."

Not that the little samurai was adverse to adventuring, or being an adventuring companion. Just that a mental image of Mellt getting into bar fights in every town they visited, and consequently her own guilt by association, was something that the Gria couldn't seem to get out of her head. Endless bar fights. The horned girl shuddered just as Mellt was distracted by a Bangaa and rose to meet the perceived challenge. Relieved of the weight on her tiny frame, Aubrey briefly twitched and adjusted her wings until they felt comfortable resting again before sizing up the situation that was now unfolding in front of her.

"No one's looking for trouble," Aubrey remarked, still remaining seated. Trouble this far west always seemed to end with Judges showing up, and that was the sort of trouble most people didn't want. Herself included.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Lojak
HP: 60/60 END: 50/50 DEF: 2 AMR: 3

"I am," he stared down at the Gria, correcting her with a growl, before turning his attention back to the Viera, "But not here. Here," he began to ignore her for the cook, "I just want foodsss. And talk of foodsss, to help find the trouble I want. Call me 'Jack' if you need a name from your customersss."

An eye for business, that cook. He really wouldn't have bought anything if she hadn't pressed him--hopefully she'd throw him a bone. As for the Viera, he didn't have the patience or care to make nice with her and her familiar brand of hypocrisy; 'are you looking for trouble?' is something said only by those looking to start it, an amusing brand of hypocrisy he himself employed.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Platea Bogard, The Flaming Bomb

The little thief crosses her arms. "Aino! That's, like, the worst idea! Nobody would trust me, heck, nobody does trust me. I'd be- Hm? What was that?" She looks about, trying to pinpoint a sound from farther down the Platea. Aino hears nothing.

"Zese fine people 'ere, zey shall decide if zis silly little recipe of yours iz for ze proper folk." The overweight chef motions towards the braggart customers as Mellt tries to find a way to put the entire souffle in her mouth at once. The bangaa's question reaches the man, and he seems to perk up as if taking his purchasing decisions of common spices as a compliment. "Ze spice iz from ze finest, ah, and only, spice trader in ze Platea. He iz somezing of a natural when it comes to ze picking and ze choosing, yes?"

The chef's bragging is cut short as his hired hand, a plainly dressed young woman, interrupts. "Johns sells rice. He just resells other stuff and Ghirrahrd here usually gets it off him cheap. There's also dozens of spice traders down the entire Platea, but you probably didn't need someone telling you that." She shoots a disappointed look at the chef before returning to Felize's rather specific instructions on maintaining a fire. The chef simply responds with a huff and awaits Mellt's verdict.

As Sol continues trying to edge around the rather rude bangaa, he spots something out the door. Not a frilly-dressed magus, but something large and purple coming down the Platea. Rather large.

"No really, I swear I'm hearing some... Gweh!" Fio immediately darts into one of the stalls on the side of the road, sending oranges flying. While not the strangest thing she's done, she's usually a bit harder to scare with Aino around. Finally turning around to check what the Thief might have seen, Aino finds herself directly in the path of a Behemoth charging down the Platea, and barely fitting through as it does. Caught in the headlights, Aino is sweeped up in its charge as it plows directly into the tavern, taking out the entire front wall of it as it charges in.

While the patrons and chefs of the tavern converse and squabble, it's difficult to pin the rumble on the general business or the absurdly large pot bubbling over with a full ahriman's eye inside, one of Felize's recipes. Suddenly, one of the patrons sitting at a side table bursts up from her seat and takes hold of what had appeared to be a folded table setting against the wall. The stout viera runs up to the counter and slams her shield through the floorboards before exclaiming, "Get down!"

The tavern opens wide as the Behemoth smashes through it, but it continues to charge through and picks up Lojak on the way, while Sol had already darted off to the side. Right before it can bear down upon the counter, the Behemoth's horns slam into the giant wall shield in the way. The viera behind it buckles slightly, but rather than slowly losing to the Behemoth's push she uproots the shield and pushes straight into the beast, sending it stumbling backwards and flinging the unfortunate bangaa and viera caught in the middle of this clash off to the sides of the tavern. The viera winces slightly and crouches down, but keeps her shield at the ready and glances back at the five - er, three as the trap door behind the counter bangs shut - behind her. "If you're not looking to run away, hurry up and do something about this beast!" she yells.

From atop the giant beast, a man in a rather odd woolen outfit swings a heavy flail above his head and laughs. "Something to stop the raging beast? No, no not at all, we cannot just abide this. Let us smash this wall!" The man punctuates this by slamming his flail down on the Behemoth's head, causing it to rear up and roar in anger, yet keeping its gaze on those scattered before it. Trailing behind the giant, a pair of panthers and an ahriman enter the bar, the former menacing the patrons on the sides and the latter staring down at the shield wall with a grin.

Well that was sudden.

This fight probably won't be too crazy because building enemies is hard and you guys have
so much TV I don't even know how to spend all of it. Initiative is as follows, rolled on the Ivalice's Knights Zodiac campaign on Orokos (ahriman acts alongside Behemoth for convenience):

Aino
Mellt
Aubrey
Felize
Lojak
Panthers
Sol
Behemoth
Ahriman

Don't feel like you need to act in this order, if time-based conflicts arise I'll use the initiative to decide what happened how. Also if I screwed something up lemme know, but I think the only thing I messed up was rolling twice for Aubrey (both rolls came out to 6 anyways).

Some enemies may have unique abilities or weaknesses. You'll be told them when you interact with them, but some people might have special ways to uncover them. Some of these may break the rules, but dear god I need some way to generate up enough Threat Value throw me a bone here.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Aino
HP: 50/50 | MP: 40/40 | ATK: 9d | DEF: 5d | Init: 4d | DX 3

Aino hauls herself out of the rubble, adjusting her hat - her ruby pin is still in place. There's an orange crushed into the shoulder of her robe.

She draws her rapier and points it at the lunatic on the Behemoth. "I am Aino, Judge Adjudicator. You're under arrest. Get off the Behemoth and come peaceably."

The viera punctuates her sentence by lancing the monster's foot to the floor with her sword.

It's worth noting that you just match possible successes instead of adding dice together. My init is only 10 as a result.

Wrestling to pin the Behemoth in place, which is a terrible idea. 20. That was a pretty lucky roll, actually. He's got to beat that to do anything else this round, and afterward he can only attack me unless he breaks free.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Yours had 3 6's, for an 18 to stomp everyone else's initiative into the dust. I'm not aware of if Orokos has an option to use OVA style rolling for totals, if it does it'd be great to be able to just use that instead. But yeah, I checked and you're definitely sitting on the top of the initiative.

Wrestling doesn't seem to indicate a turn of stun for the target though, so you might just be looking to be chomped by an even angrier Behemoth as its only target. If there is some condition applied that I'm not aware of, that'll mean something else.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Ah, I read Mellt's as mine.

Yeah, I'm aware I'm about to get hit bad. He needs a chance to surrender, though, and now he can't hurt anyone else unless he breaks free or I let him go. Can't arrest dead people.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Mellt
HP: 60/60 | MP: 60/60 [40/40] | DEF: 4

The sudden entrance of the massive beast and its rider catches Mellt off guard and nearly makes her choke on her souffle. She manages to get it down, pounding on her chest a few times, then hefts her hammer. "You - *cough, cough* - you've made a big mistake here, pal! No one interrupts lunch!"

The big viera charges in with a battle cry, using the table-shield as a step to get extra height as she swings her weapon down on the pinned behemoth's head. "Urrra!"

Got an 8 on my attack.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 8, 2015

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Aubrey
Hp: 3o/3o | Mp: 55/6o | Hit: 5 | Atk: 4 | Eva: 7 | Def: 2 | Spd: 5

Aubrey had sighed when the Bangaa made his bold trouble-seeking declaration. It wasn't any of her business, she'd decided. But at least then it looked like a brawl that had the potential to cut her meal short wasn't going to break out. Then the behemoth decided to come crashing through, and spelling an end to her mealtime anyhow.

She didn't have time to consider the absurdity of the situation; an apparent madman riding on a behemoth with a host of other creatures trailing behind. With the Viera converging upon the behemoth, the samurai decided it was best to mop up the other beasts while they kept the maned monstrosity busy. With the powerful beating of her wings, she launched herself at the Ahriman, rapidly closing the gap! At the last moment, she draws her weapon out, the silvery blade glinting in the dim light! In a split-second the long curved blade lashes at the Ahriman's leathery side and returned to its sheath! Only a fading afterimage of the blade's path serves as evidence that it had ever been drawn.

Blatting the Ahriman with Asura, Fang! 15!

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Just in case it got missed in my last post, I plan on using initiative to determine how actions go down should they conflict, but don't post in initiative order. That's a great way to slow things down a ton in PBP and I wanna try avoiding that, so if that's stopping you from posting, no, just post. Especially since most of your actions are probably going to be beating up this poor purple monster and probably won't conflict anyways. Except...

The Flaming Bomb

While Aino nails a beast a dozen times larger than her to the floor with a fencing sword and Mellt attempts to crack its skull open, Aubrey darts out towards easier prey. Surprised by the gria suddenly taking its full view, the ahriman moves to flit away in a panic. It doesn't get much farther than turning about before spasming and falling to the ground in a heap, lifeless.

With an 8 defense roll, the ahriman takes, uh, more than all of its resources in damage (63, to be exact) and dies outright. Welp.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Lojak
HP: 60/60 END: 30/50 DEF: 2 AMR: 3

"Grawh," Lojak growled after regaining his footing from the charge. If a Judge was around and wanting the beast's rider to come peacefully, he'd do his best to ease the process, "I don't think this one will listen so easily!" That much was obvious, as it'd take a rare sort to give up without a fight after ramming a behemoth and other monsterly sorts through an eatery, with little visible purpose.

While the two Viera had the beast's attention, Lojak decided to focus on its rider. Or, more specifically, its rider's flail--with a mighty swing of his Greatsword he sought to disarm the wool-clad stranger. Part of him wanted to cut the man in half and be done with it, for having the gall to charge monsters through town, but he'd long since learned to keep that part quiet when answers were on the line. Whether he'd get answers related to his own troubles or other troubles, all that mattered is that he got them--even if the dead could be made to speak, he'd want none of it.

Drop Weapon! 18! Forgoing damage to guarantee the disarming and activation of a weakness or flaw if it hits. Well, I guess more accurately I should just say I don't want to kill the guy? If doing damage can just be declared as non-fatal then I'll take my chances on not doing enough to activate the disarming.

Decus fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 10, 2015

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Felize Jamstave
HP: 40 | MP: 40 | ATK: 4 | DEF: 4 | SPD: 4

"Silly little recipe? I'm giving you trade secrets here!" Felize looks over the pot. "Eye hasn't begun to wrinkle yet...", she mumbles, and then looks to Lojak. "... how about some gob-bobs?", she offers, before the wall comes crashing in. Her eager look is replaced with a deadpan stare, and a frown. Reaching for her combat-sized spoon and fork, she hops over the serving counter. "If you're not here to eat-", she says, sheathing the fork to wield the spoon two-handed. "- out!"

Spinning the spoon, she brings it down on one of the panthers, fearlessly rushing into the fray. Maybe she's not just the cook?

Vanilla attack roll is to bean one of the panthers 10 with a DX of 4!

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

The Behemoth begins to stomp into the tavern, staring down its repeller in anger, but is stopped by yet another viera who proceeds to jam her sword directly through a freshly healed wound in its foot. Wracked with pain and brimming with anger, it sets its sights on Aino and begins to rear back its head, but Mellt knocks it back down with a giant swing of her hammer, rattling the beast's skull.

Meanwhile, the ahriman meets its incredibly swift end by katana's edge as the panthers leap out towards their prey, one diving for the unprepared Star Knight's throat and the other flinging itself at Felize and getting a giant spoon across the skull for its trouble, but still managing to catch her with its claws for a moment.

The Beastmaster's flail is caught by Lojak's blade and flies into a table, leaving the man without his disciplinary tool. He continues to bark orders and punch at the beast's neck, but it seems nowhere near as affected by these blows, though Mellt's hammer is reminiscent. Fueled by rage, the Behemoth attempts to swing its horns at Mellt, but despite its creaking and bending Aino's sword remains through the floorboards. The beast instead opts to take its anger out on the only person in reach, goring the Judge with one of its horns. It hefts her up, twisting her in an extremely painful way, and throws her back to the floor. The horn missed her truly vital organs, but the Judge now sports a bloody hole through her abdomen and the pain to match it. Finished with this show of force, the Behemoth seems to calm down slightly, if you could call a rampaging Behemoth calm.

"How do you expect to stand against the king of all beasts? See how you already fall! You will simply be trampled underfoot!" cackles the man from atop his steed. He doesn't seem to really be in control of the Behemoth anymore, but he's still solidly planted on its back and out of the line of fire.

Panther 1 Defense: 8, takes 2*4 damage from Felize.

Panther 2 Offense vs. Sol: 6, vs Sol's Defense (2+0, no mods): 4. Sol takes 6 damage.

Panther 1 Offense vs. Felize: 6, vs Felize's Defense: 5. Felize takes 3 damage.

Behemoth Defense: 1, Behemoth takes 17 endurance damage from Lojak in addition to the Weakness complication.

The Behemoth takes 15 damage from Mellt's attack. I forgot where I put those rolls but trust me on this.

The Behemoth loses the effects of Beastmaster's Discipline and no longer ignores complications. Due to a complication. I maybe didn't think that one through so well.

The Behemoth seems angered by Mellt's aggression and strikes with pointed fury.

Behemoth Attack vs. Aino: 12, vs. Aino's Defense: 6. Aino takes 42 damage, well over a quarter of her health. She is impaired, as per the giant hole in her gut, and takes -1 to further combat actions this encounter. On the up side she's still got some HP so that doesn't go up to -2!

The Behemoth remains wrestled, as it finds itself perfectly content mauling the lady who put a sword in its claw and is also very stuck anyways.

TransientPeople, Sol's defense is actually 2, as Agile is the offensive of the Agile/Quick pair (goddamn these need better names). You've got a solid 5 against will attacks, but I assume you might want to change stuff up so you're not sitting at zero bonus defense and no armor. Up to you, but if you do change things I'll reroll that attack with your new values.

I don't think I missed anything? This ended up pretty dense! Everyone has a move and there's a hungry hungry behemoth out to stomp all of you and also some panthers who should probably use perks next round, go!

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
Sol - HP: 54/60 | END: 50/60 | RES: 80/80 | DEF: 4

The attack came quickly, and left little time to react. Faced with the jaws of death, Sol had no choice but to throw himself backwards, rolling with the blow and throwing the panther off him at the last moment. It was still a near thing, as the teeth missed him by scant inches, but he made it. Picking himself back up, he drew his sword and steadied himself, running through the words of the old scriptures in his mind.

"We do not stand against a king of beasts. Only a poor, misguided man who has lost his way."

And every point is one with all others, for space is nothing more than a distance decided upon long ago...

"Let me show you what we are made of. A blackened void to swallow all...Black Hole Saber!" Taking a half-step forward, Sol raised his sword up high and then brought it down with a diagonal slash. For a moment, the lights grew dim, as a shining tear in the air glistened, next to one of the Behemoth's paws.

"Don't stay close to it! It'll suck you in!" He called out, as he braced himself. It was a small thing, and would not cause much harm...but it would put the beasts in the perfect spot to finish them off.

Let's get a little bit crazy, shall we? Spending 10 END to perform a Black Hole Saber and bunch everybody up (and make them reel). The attack roll is, fittingly, a 10. Not dealing any damage, but anybody tagged is going to be Stunned. Fingers crossed for high rolls for us and low rolls for them! Hitting the Behemoth, then the rider if he counts as a target, then the panthers in that order of preference. -1 to all defensive rolls against this attack.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 13, 2015

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Just real quick before I go to work, since this is a cramped space there's maybe two zones tops. So if anyone's interested in not being stunned out in front of a giant Behemoth that just gored that Judge, you should probably get moving behind that viera's shield before the delay's up.

EDIT: To clarify, Sol's Black Hole will hit at the start of his next turn since it's got the Delayed flaw. It's an Area attack so it'll hit anyone, friend or foe, around the Behemoth when it comes around. Don't be standing in it unless you want to defend against it. Also, it'd be cool if people put the Perks and Flaws of their attack in their posts when they make them, both so I don't have to constantly flip to your sheets to figure out what your attack even does and also for clarity for other players.

sentrygun fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 13, 2015

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Mellt
HP: 60/60 | MP: 60/60 [30/40] | DEF: 4

Mellt watches the behemoth knock Aino back, and the Star Knight step in. "Right! I'll give them a knock first!" Spinning the massive hammer with apparent ease, Mellt slams it into the behemoth again, then lets the force of the rebound spin her around. She sends it crashing into the closing panthers, the massive striking head a blur in the air. As the three beasts turn their attention to her, she falls back behind the shield.

Another 8 for my attack roll, which will actually go against each panther and the behemoth!

Hailstorm Technique - Perks: Multi-Target x2, Effective - Flaws: Unwieldy x2, Weapon - Roll 7 - DX 6 - END 10

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Aubrey
Hp: 3o/3o | Mp: 5o/6o | Hit: 5 | Atk: 4 | Eva: 7 | Def: 2 | Spd: 5

Single-mindedly, Aubrey moves from the site of the felled Ahriman towards the panther unaccosted by Mellt. Whatever the silvery-haired knight was talking about, it didn't seem readily apparent to the winged girl. There were more important matters to attend to! Wordlessly, silently, she descends upon the big cat from above! Her sword flickers from it's scabbard, lashing out and returned to rest in the blink of an eye!

Already going to need to buy a new Asura soon! Asura, Fang on the not-Mellt-hit Panther! 5! (Ahahahaha! Getting my bad rolls out of the way early, I hope!) Also, this is just straight-up single-target damage attack with a DX value of 9 should it actually succeed.

Hopefully I roll a little better when it comes time to Black Hole Saber defend. I'm just not quite sure if I should be doing that in this post or not!

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Lojak
HP: 60/60 END: 30/50 DEF: 2 BAR: 8 AMR: 3

Lojak growled in discontent as he thrust his greatsword up into nothing, summoning a magical pall down around him. "You can't have everybody running," he spat back at the young star knight before looking upon the Behemoth, "But surely a man sitting atop a King wouldn't run either."

With an attack like that, if everybody the boy wanted to leave the blast zone left the beasts would leave as well! Somebody had to keep them there and to his eye he was the only sensible choice.

Just using a pre-emptive barrier to double its strength for as long as Lojak doesn't take another action. I'm unclear on how that would interact with a protect action, but as I understand it you declare those after seeing somebody botch their defense roll and they use up next round's action?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Aino
HP: 8/50 | MP: 30/40 | ATK: 9d | DEF: 5d | Init: 4d | DX 3

"Argh," Aino says, on account of being gored and flung across a tavern.

She takes a moment to lie on the floor and ooze, regretting most of the decisions in her life that brought her to this sorry state. Then it's back to business.

The spindly viera hauls herself up from the floor, gritting her teeth but making no noise of complaint. She shrugs and rolls her arms in a certain way, dislodging the bow on her back from its sling. A strange arrow, little more than a tiny barb on a stick, is produced from the quiver hanging at her side, nocked, and launched at the Behemoth.

Drawing a longbow with a hole in your guts is not a recommended experience.

IC because Orokos doesn't work at work for some drat reason: a whopping 6. Using Beso Toxico and foregoing any damage dealt, so if it hits the Behemoth is impaired.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Felize Jamstave
HP: 37/40 | MP: 40 | ATK: 4 | DEF: 4 | SPD: 4

Struck by the beast, Felize winces, hopping back. It's just a flesh wound, though she looks over to to Aino with some concern. "People are trying to enjoy their meals, here! Get out, beast, before I make you into one!" Then, she leaps into the air, bringing her battle-spoon high, and tries to slam it down towards the panther with overwhelming force. It's liable to leave her a little off balance, but she clearly feels strongly about people's mealtime!

Attacking the Panther with Tenderizer (Impairing, Unwieldy) using Agile and spending 5 Soul for a total of 5.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Rolling out of the way and straining to pull her bow back, Aino fires her barbed shot at the Behemoth, aiming at the wound she'd already re-opened with her sword. Despite being such a large creature, the poison seems to take effect rather quickly as the beast's leg begins to spasm. Taking this chance to yet again test how hard a Behemoth's skull is, Mellt pulverizes the side of the beast's skull and uses the momentum to nearly bowl over Aubrey and Felize in the melee, finally crunching into the side of one of the panthers.

Ducking away from Mellt's crazy hammer twirling, Aubrey and Felize each dive onto the other panther, but rather than coordinating their attacks they simply run face-first into each other, allowing the panther to scuttle away unscathed.

Once the hammered one recovers, the pair of panthers dart their eyes around trying to find the best thing to chew on. There's the comical duo of chef and samurai, that one guy who didn't taste very good, and what the hell is that giant lizard doing how is he glowing? What could that be? Probably worth trying to take him down first. The panthers leap towards Lojak together, aiming for the kill outright. While one sinks its fangs straight through his arm, the other pounds its skull against the translucent shield and flops to the ground. Lojak shakes the beast off easily enough, but maybe people weren't just telling tall tales about panthers having serrated teeth.

Amidst all this chaos, Sol's incantation finally completes and opens up a hole directly under one of the Behemoth's legs, trapping the beast's leg and knocking it off balance. The hole continues to pulse, dragging nearby objects into it. While the panthers dart away and Lojak holds his ground, Aubrey and Felize find themselves in terrible situations. Not pulled into a black hole themselves, but Aubrey's coinpurse breaks from her belt and is sucked into the abyss, as is the boiling pot of ahriman eye stew Felize had been waiting to finish up. A complete waste of perfectly good coin and food, lost forever to some mysterious void as it closes back up and lets free the Behemoth's leg.

Rider and beast each try to right themselves, but it's no quick maneuver and leaves them open to attack.

Behemoth Defense against Aino's 6, gets a 2. The poison inhibits the Behemoth.

Behemoth Defense against Mellt's 8, gets a 1. Mellt deals 21 damage to the Behemoth.
Panther 1 Defense against Mellt's 8, gets a 20. Miss!
Panther 2 Defense against Mellt's 8, gets a 6. Mellt deals 12 damage to the Panther.

Panther 1 Defense against Aubrey's 5, gets a 12. Miss!

Panther 1 Defense against Felize's 5, gets another 12. Miss!

Panther 1 Attack (+4 Accurate) against Lojak's Barrier (Double). 24 vs. 12, Panther 1 deals 24 damage after armor reduction (would have been all your health otherwise!).
Panther 2 Attack (+4 Effective) against Lojak's Barrier (Double). 18 vs. 18, No Damage!

Both Panthers are exhausted, suffering -1 to all rolls from lack of Endurance.

Black Hole Saber finishes Charge Time and activates! Defense rolls against 10.
Behemoth can't beat 10 on defense, no point rolling. Behemoth is stunned.
Panther 1 Defense, 15. Miss!
Panther 2 Defense, 18. Miss! (why are the panthers rolling so well good god, i even had to reroll due to not deducting proper dice and still got good rolls)
Aino is out of reach!
Mellt is out of reach!
Aubrey Defense (-1 AoE), 8. Aubrey's recieves a Weakness Complication on Poor.
Felize Defense (-1 AoE), 4. Felize recieves a Weakness Complication on Hatred (Those who waste food).
Lojak's Barrier (Double, -1 AoE), 24. No Effect!

That was pretty hosed up so I'm not going to stun out Aubrey and Felize, especially since I hate players getting stunned and am avoiding giving that power to monsters anyways. Also it's way more fun this way. I forgot Unwieldy a bunch too but that would just make the bad just as bad, so it doesn't matter much this turn.

Sol's turn and top of the round. Panthers are looking ragged and the Behemoth is probably going to be super pissed when it finishes standing up.

there has to be a faster way to do these rolls

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Sol - HP: 54/60 | END: 40/60 | RES: 80/80 | DEF: 4

As the black hole did its work, Sol grit his teeth. This wasn't good...he'd bought some relief from the Behemoth's wrath, but the Bangaa had paid a dear price for it. Heavily wounded by the panthers, he needed some help, and needed it now. "I did this...I'll help him out!" Wasting no time, he began concentrating on another technique. This time, his sword shone brightly. "Passing between moments, faster than thought...Shooting Star Strike!" His spinning strike struck the air, but the glow that abandoned the blade did not. Following a crescent arc, it struck the Behemoth...

...The one of the panthers...

...And curved past Lojak, aimed at the last of them. "The behemoth's guard is broken! Bring it down!" Rushing to the Bangaa's side, he assumed a defensive stance. "Don't worry. I'm with you."

Oops! Time to do something spectacular to fix this mess. Performing a Technique (Multitarget 2, Buildup 1, Requires Sword, DX 6, total 10 EN) against all enemies. The results are...

<Krysmbot> TransientPeople2, (6 4 3 3 2 1 1 1) = (6)

<Krysmbot> TransientPeople2, (6 5 5 5 4 3 3 3) = (15!)

<Krysmbot> TransientPeople2, (4 3 2 2 2 1 1 1) = (6)

Hopefully this'll put at least one Panther down for the count. If not...well, that's what Sol taking Jack's side is for.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 16, 2015

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Aino
HP: 8/50 | MP: 20/40 | ATK: 9d | DEF: 5d | Init: 4d | DX 3

Aino's grimace has only a little to do with the hole in her guts and a lot to do with a lack of dead Behemoth and the cook crashing into the gria.

She nocks another poison arrow and launches it over the heads of the skirmishers, then leans against the wall and groans for a bit.

Beso Toxico again against the Behemoth, 'cause that poo poo stacks. Again foregoing damage, rolled an 8. Let's hope my bullshit luck holds out.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Regardless of what happens this turn an 8 will hit the Behemoth, so he's potentially even easier to damage if that affects anyone's actions. I had a plan, I totally had a defense against this and Decus ruined it immediately. :colbert:

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Mellt
HP: 60/60 | MP: 60/60 [15/40] | DEF: 4

Mellt enjoys a bit of a scuffle, but this is getting a bit out of hand for an unexpected encounter. Besides, it interrupted lunch, and now the stew is gone!

"What's the big idea, busting in like this? Have some respect for others!" She plants her feet, and raises the hammer high, no subtly there. "Maybe this will teach you some manners! URRA!"

And then she brings it down with all the force she can muster onto the behemoth - which is a hell of a lot.

Let's finish this! Got a 20 vs the behemoth!

MELLTDOWN! - Perks: Effective x6 - Flaws: Unwieldy x2, Weapon - Roll 7 - DX 11 - END 15

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Aubrey
Hp: 3o/3o | Mp: 45/6o | Hit: 5 | Atk: 4 | Eva: 7 | Def: 2 | Spd: 5

The diminutive samurai had no idea where that chef lept out from, and any questions on how to best avoid another such collision in the future quickly went out the window as the Gria's Gil departed her side! A lightning quick hand wasn't fast enough, a finger brushing against the side of the bag, then the briefest moment of hope as the drawstring hooked around her finger! Aubrey almost got to sigh in relief, but her precarious hold on the coinpurse only caused the tie holding it closed to become undone and a river of Gil spilled out and was sucked into the void! The empty bag then flapped off her finger and followed her reward money into the abyss.

The normally calm and demure woman inwardly seethed at her circumstances! Currently indignantly splayed upon the floor and not in the air where she should be, Aubrey took steps to remedy this; immediately getting back to her feet and launching herself into the air! Once this was over, there had better be more money materialize from somewhere or there was going to be trouble. But for now, she decided to vent her fury on the source of all these problems, the behemoth and the idiot riding it!

Rising up into the air, she descends upon the beast! Aubrey's sword flickers out and back into it's scabbard as she passes by the gargantuan beast, touching down briefly before pushing herself back up into the air! This was the first time she'd ever faced a behemoth, and she suspected that it's hide might be even thicker than the stories she'd heard! She would have to remember this for next time.

Could've been worse, but it could've been a lot better. 8! Single target with a DX of 9.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
This fight's probably winding down and might even already be over technically, I'll give it a day for Felize/Lojak actions before moving on to monster round.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Lojak
HP: 50/60 END: 16/50 DEF: 2 BAR: 4 AMR: 3

Lojak redirected at least some of his barrier to stop the panther's teeth from sinking in too deep before he shook it off, but damned if it didn't hurt. More importantly, he moved in for retribution alongside the Star Knight's shooting star strike, recalling his barrier and bringing his sword down on the panther responsible for his newest scar.

Nodding at the boy, he calmly remarked on the others, sinking back into a slower speech pattern, "This lot sure can fight, yourssself included." Things were winding down and with any luck the Judge was in good enough shape to haul the rider in alive.

Basic attack on the panther that dug into his arm 8, DX 5. He used endurance to buy off some of the damage from its attack.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Felize Jamstave
HP: 33/40 | MP: 35/40 | ATK: 4 | DEF: 4 | SPD: 4

"My... soup!", Felize manages in a strangled tone of voice. As Sol focuses on their foe, she swaps spoon for fork, slamming it and skittering it along the floor to try and catch the knight unaware... and flip him from under his feet! "You careless... clumsy... stupid... idiot... moron... dope...!" One can assume in the insults continue in that sort of vein for a bit. Because they do.

Doing a Grill Flip (inaccurate, fatiguing, stunning) against Sol for 5 End, but only have a 5 on the attack, with DX 4. Mind, it doesn't do any real damage per se, just Endurance.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

The earth quakes as the Behemoth wrenches its foot from the black hole and stomps it back down onto mostly-solid floorboards. It seems pretty pissed, and the viera shieldbearer makes sure to say so just in case it wasn't terribly obvious. "Maybe shoot it in the eye there, sister," she says, nearly knocking Aino's aim off as she slaps her back. The arrow joins its twin in the Behemoth's foot, the poison causing even more involuntary twitching in the beast.

Using the planted shield as a step, and nearly knocking it over onto the shieldbearer and Aino in the process, Mellt launches herself at the Behemoth and brings her hammer down on it's skull. Unsurprisingly, the stone hammer does little more than knock the unbreakable beast's head around, despite the ringing smash that emits. The jolt is, however, enough to knock its rider directly off his seat and straight into the hole left from Sol's magic, leaving him stuck halfway through.

Blinded by rage, Aubrey swoops directly into one of the panthers instead, lifting it up with her sword and slamming it back down, not unlike the Behemoth and Aino. The sight is, perhaps, not terribly pleasant for Aino, but it certainly gets one of the panthers out of the way. Regrettably, no gil tumbles forth from the panther. drat.

While Sol prepares for another sword maneuver, his gallant stance is interrupted by being flipped upside down and landing on his head. As Felize continues her assault on the wasteful man, Sol finds himself a bit preoccupied.

Managing to ignore the ridiculous sight long enough to keep his composure, Lojak sweeps the remaining panther off its feet with his greatsword and follows up with an overhead swing. It's not pretty, but it solves the problem.

Wrenching himself out of the hole, the rider looks up at his mount looming over him. He swings his arm out as if drawing a weapon, but realizes his flail still rests on the sidelines of the tavern. "King of Beasts, halt and listen! I shall-" The man's speech is cut off as the beast stomps the man out. It remains with rage in its eyes, but holds quite a different look than it had earlier. It moves to approach the party, but suddenly stops as a high pitched 'kweh' sound breaks the silence. It looks about the tavern, looks behind itself, and turns about to leave rather calmly, its swooping tail forcing Mellt to duck out of the way while flying straight over Aubrey's head. Despite its previous actions it walks down the Platea rather peacefully, eventually disappearing from sight of the tavern around a bend in the road.

"Behemoths are terribly territorial, but aside from the young ones without a land to call their own yet they're not interested in disrupting another beast's domain." The shieldbearer lays her shield against the bar and hobbles forward, favoring her right leg, while holding a chocobo call up. "The land of man is traditionally kept by chocobos, since we use them so much. The beast just needed a reminder of where it was once it got a clearer head. I'd say you knocked some sense into it, maybe. Regardless, it seems the Clandestine's getting a lot busier, but that scratches off one of their more potent agents."

The shieldbearer hoists Aino up onto a chair and produces a vial of blue liquid. "Probably better to get to a proper white mage over that, eh, hole in your guts, but the best I know is a little out of the way at the moment. This X-Potion should at least patch it up temporarily until you can get to her."

Interrupting the shieldbearer's speech, the chef bursts out from the cellar he had been hiding in and begins loudly lamenting the state of his tavern. It's hard to tell if he's broken up about it or just wants something to complain about, but the shieldbearer just waves him off and continues. "Name's Aries, by the way. Well, technically not, but I've gotten so used to people calling me that by now that it may as well be the case. Kind of a surprise to see a few odd faces off the street fend off a proper Behemoth, though, even if that guy was probably dragging the poor thing down. Mind if I ask where you all washed up from? If I'm not interrupting, eh, whatever's going on over there?" Aries points at Felize, who doesn't seem quite finished taking her anger out on Sol.

Aino hits the Behemoth at no contest. Impaired x2.

Behemoth Defense vs. Mellt. 1 vs. 20. Critical Hit! Mellt deals 133 damage to the Behemoth! KO!

The panther is cut in half! Aubrey handily defeats it, but ruins its prizes as a result.

Sol's Defense: 2d6 vs. Felize. 5 vs. 1. As a surprise attack, Felize handily flips the Star Knight over.

Sol technically went first but whatever this combat is totally over anyways and this is a far better result.

Lojak splats the other panther, probably would have killed it anyways and if you guys wouldn't have a whole turn just to finish off the remaining 10 HP would be super boring.

The Behemoth stomps on the Beastmaster. The expected occurs.

Aries, Knight of the Knights Zodiac uses a chocobo call! The Behemoth becomes Confused and flees!
Aries, Knight of the Knights Zodiac uses an X-Potion! Aino's health is restored, but the Impairment remains.

The Beastmaster is slain! The Behemoth flees, but territorial beasts may still hold grudges. The panthers and ahrimans are just mincemeat, though. The viera shieldbearer claims herself to be Aries, one of the more influential figures in the Knights Zodiac and probably someone people with knowledge of military history would know more about.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Sol - HP: 54/60 | END: 60/60 | RES: 80/80 | DEF: 4

Sol's improvised comrades in arms were quick to pick up on opportunities, he realized. The threat was quickly controlled, and soon all that remained was mop-up. It was then that Sol made a crucial mistake: He lowered his guard. The sudden loss of balance that followed was a harsh reminder that there was never a good time to be careless.

"Whoooaaaaaaaah!" He cried involuntarily, as he hit the ground. Where had his assailant come from? He was certain they'd dealt with all the beasts! This wasn't supposed to...

...And then the insults started to rain down and things became a little clearer. For a moment he lay there, getting his bearings and letting the chef get the anger out of her system, before turning around to look at her. "I'm...sorry." He said, shaking his head to clear the last few cobwebs from his mind. "Have I done you wrong in some way? What...what is the problem?" He asked, trying to keep his voice polite. Surely there must be some good reason for this unexpected backstab. Serenity and wisdom, serenity and wisdom...

EDIT: Sentrygun, do you mind if I take my next few posts to fix up my sheet a bit? It seems like it had some goofs, and now that combat is over is as good a time to correct them as any.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 21, 2015

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
OVA's new to a lot of us and the new version might be new to all of us. If anyone has changes they'd like to make, by all means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Aino
HP: 50/50 | MP: 20/40 | ATK: 9d | DEF: 5d | Init: 4d | DX 3 (Impaired -1)

"Thank you, Knight Aries," Aino murmurs. She drinks the potion, staring at the floor and wincing as her guts knit back together.

The Judge gets up a little unsteadily, then goes over to what is rapidly spiraling into a second crime scene. Mustering more gusto than she really feels, she shouts at Sol and Felize. Her Grazton accent is keen and imperious.

"Stop, in the name of the law!" She interposes herself between the knight and the chef. "You avoided harm in one conflict already this day, and you would be ill-advised to tempt fate a second time."

• Locked thread