Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Cessna posted:

Carte = Quarte, Parry 4.

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Seconde is basically octave but with your knuckles up rather than thumb up. It feels a bit slower to me but can be done with a low or high hand pretty easily depending on where the attack is coming in. Works great against someone running past you but makes me look like a chump if they see it coming and disengage.
Whatís the low prime meant to be for?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Seconde is basically octave but with your knuckles up rather than thumb up. It feels a bit slower to me but can be done with a low or high hand pretty easily depending on where the attack is coming in. Works great against someone running past you but makes me look like a chump if they see it coming and disengage.
Whatís the low prime meant to be for?

Defending against the thrust to the lower torso/cut to the leading leg, iirc.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Prime's good for infighting in foil, though it's much more hand-high-tip-down than depicted there

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The probably apocryphal story I heard about the utility and origin of the parry positions was that they started with a drawing parry. So prime was good for "oh gently caress someone is attacking me I am drawing my blade and covering my left side because that is where I can get my blade fastest".

E: vvv oh prime is a great parry I used to use in epee a lot, mostly just commenting on low prime.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 15, 2021

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I don't know, it's a pretty straightforward parry. Move your hand up, keep the point towards the opponent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8jMvm2LlwQ

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.

Anyone ever poke a dude's eye out with their blade? I came close once I think, just had it in my hand facing away from the people in front of me while talking, but somehow or another moved my hand backwards in such a way that the foil went straight back and up towards the team captain's face. Tbh if he started wearing an eye patch I think he would have struck more fear in his opponents.

That being said, ~10 years later I'm thinking of taking up the hobby again. Going to want to buy a bunch of safety gear sooner or later because I am clumsy. Aside from footwork and reading, what should I start practicing again before signing up for some actual lessons at the local club?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Liquid Communism posted:

Defending against the thrust to the lower torso/cut to the leading leg, iirc.

Oh yeah, makes sense. Iím a dirty foilist and only ever use it with a high hand.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Anyone else's clubs opening back up?

We can get in and fence if we show a vaccine card.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

The Facebook page of the club I want to join still has a stickied post about being closed

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Fencing has only been 'closed' for the last set of restrictions. Before that, it ran with limited capacity. The last 5 weeks, it's been juniors and high performance (national level) only and private lessons. It should open up to almost normal next week.
Been working with 2 coaches. One, more traditional drills., the other on 'how to fight', so mostly working on prep. Epee is very similar to kendo in that regard.

Kendo did a soft restart last week. Drills only, no contact. I *think* we might go back to regular practice next week, if not then on July 1st (Depending on infection rates, but it's looking good at the moment).

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

All the clubs here have been running at limited capacity and strict mask controls pretty much all year. One was even doing most of their stuff outside until they had to give up the space last month.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

My son qualified for Junior Olympics again, so it looks like we're going to Philadelphia next month. There's also the Vet's NAC (Old guy's matches) that I qualify for, so I'll go fence as well.

I doubt I'll make it past the first round, but it should still be fun, a chance to fence some top athletes.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Cessna posted:

Anyone else's clubs opening back up?

We can get in and fence if we show a vaccine card.

July is the current plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

As weíre an isolated island nation and did some serious lockdown early on, New Zealand is up and running.
I did have a really cool moment the other day when i ran a newbie through some basic attack and parry-riposte drills, then watched him apply it and turn the tables on another fencer who he hadnít been able to beat earlier in the night.