Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Faerun is undergoing changes that will undoubtedly shake the land to its core. Adventurers from all over the world rush to the Sword Coast to do battle with gods thought long ago dead, dragons and their cultists expanding their plans and deities that lay claim to mortal champions wrestle for power in places here and beyond the material plane. From all this, a gap in the worlds defenses is revealing itself. Monsters, once held back by those seeking their fame and glory, are starting to grow unchecked. Frontiers that were once claimed by civilized people are lost or given to anarchy as fear spreads wide. Others see opportunity from these troubles, exploiting the weak to garner power for themselves. With adventurers seeking their fame elsewhere, the people of the world are vulnerable.

The need for Monster Hunters is more prevalent than ever before, and it is this role you have chosen to fill. Your reasons for assuming this role are as varied as the titles you use - problem solvers, adventurers, crusaders, mercenaries, all serve to signify your purpose; When the undead rise to terrorize, bandits rob and murder unopposed, mysterious disappearances or threatening acts of uncontrolled magic, you are there to oppose, hunt, destroy, perhaps even save.

It could be the glory of fighting the good fight that brings you here, or the pursuit of the almighty coin. Perhaps you hide from your past, or from less than scrupulous people. Whatever the reason may be, you've accepted this role and all that it brings. It is in the pursuit of this role that has brought you to Oakwood, a settlement on the outskirts of Lurkwood Forest, located in the northern region of the Sword Coast. Saori Humblefist has sent word near and far regarding a troubling matter. Some of the local workers have gone missing over the past few days, with no word as to their absence. Suspecting the worst, she has asked for help in searching for the lost men.

Introduction

Welcome to my first time DMing 5th Edition D&D game! This is a personally created adventure using the 5e books, which mostly focuses on combat with, well, stuff. It is set in the FR world and in the current timeline (as much of it as I can figure out, that is). Much of the set pieces you'll be exploring are generated first by a monster in the book that I found interesting, then building a quest/task/whatever that either focuses on that monster, or involves it in some way. I'm trying to build it in a life-like way, to help give a feeling of a world that you need to navigate and such. Hunting monsters will not be the only thing you'll be doing, but it is the thing which helps drive you forward from task to task. That is to say, there is no over-all plot to force you along. No dire time limit or magnanimous, pressuring event. At least for now! By forming an adventure this way, I hope to incorporate a bit more player involvement in the game. I'd like to utilize your character's backgrounds to help shape the future of the adventure. This also means you don't have to follow a strict path per say - you may become intrigued by something happening that I had not intended for you to care about. With enough interest, I could try to shift the game in that direction, giving things a more open-ended, player driven feel.

Before I progress any further, I must reiterate, it is my first time as a DM. I've a bit of 5e experience thanks to PbP games here, and had a couple ideas that I wanted to see how they would be received. This is a very new field for me and I don't quite know just how things will go. The challenge level of the game could get crazy at times, but I always go on the cautious side of things until I know better. Please be understanding if things are sloppy, out of place, odd, etc!

Character Creation & Special Rules

- All PHB 5e classes/races and their variants are good to go. Talk to me if you want to tweak the Drow disadvantage in sunlight thing (or anything you have concerns about), or if you want something not in PHB.
- Point buy system or one of the pre-set arrays.*
- Everyone starts with 200 gold (max Fighter gold basically) or the starting equipment (this is much less than 200 gold though, so suggest buying your own goods). This should cover most any armor/weapon combos with some left over for misc stuff. I'd suggest one of the equipment bags as well, just to cover all the bases.
- Characters will begin at level 1. I plan to get the party on the fast track to level 3 at least, so think about what you'll do once there. Hopefully I have enough adventure to keep you entertained for a good while, and I'd like to keep the leveling pace on the faster side of things.
- I discourage the use of hybrid templates - no lycanthropes, vampires, half-dragons, etc. However, If you really, really want to use one, we can talk it over.
- See next section regarding Alignment and RP/Background info.

*Racial bonuses can make certain class/race combos weaker than others when using Point Buy due to capping any one stat at 15. An example being an Elf Fighter (STR based class with no racial bonus to it) being capped at 15, rather than the 16 a +1 STR race would get. To correct this, you can move one of the racial bonus points granted to another attribute and move it to the primary. In this example, the Elf could move his +1 Wis or +1 Dex racial bonus to STR, correcting the imbalance. Please only move one of your bonuses if possible and note what bonus went where if you choose to do this.

Starting Story & Oakwood

Your characters will have heard Soari Humblefist's request no matter where they are - perhaps a personal message from Saori herself, a friend or crier, however you see fit. This brings your character to Oakwood and visiting the tavern (small and rustic) before setting off to see her. Oakwood itself isn't much of a settlement. A small shack-like building for a tavern on the west side, a larger "main building" on the right. Everywhere else acts as staging areas for the many different companies that harvest the outskirts of Lurkwood for its resources, hunting for game, logging, etc. These laborers hail from the not overly distant areas of Mithril Hall, Silverymoon, Mirabar, Nesme and Longsaddle, and are all fine places for your character to have started before coming to Oakwood (but of course, anywhere will do really).

I don't know much of Forgotten Realms, but I utilize the FR wikia frequently when creating quests and the like. While I don't think I'll be very accurate to the lore, I'll be trying to do what I can. I don't plan to use any notable figures, so you probably won't be seeing Drizzt or anything.

In regards to alignment, I want to state that I strongly suggest avoiding an Evil character. You can still do so if you wish, but the game relies heavily on your character's self motivation for going from task to task, or the motivation of the group as a whole. I am not prepared to handle serious internal conflicts and do not wish to see the game slow or stop due to such strife. That does not mean everyone must like each other, and a well written Evil character who will play along is possible. Simply keep it in mind that there is no major plot that pulls you along unwillingly, your character has a lot of say in whither or not he's going to rescue a cat from a tree (that leads to the tree coming alive as a treant and bitch at you for taking his cat or something).

Special Rules

Much of 5e is "ok", but there are things about it that just suck. These are house rules I'll be using as well as additional rules to help make some things more interesting, but expect to discover more as we go. I'm always open to discussion on these things as well, if you have your own you want to suggest or critique.

- Short Rests are just a few minutes. It's really silly otherwise and I'd prefer people getting a bit of their stuff back with some kind of regularity.
- I'll be adjusting damage on the DM side for the first few levels (and maybe beyond, we'll see). Things are super swingy out the gate, so instead of buffing a ton of HPs, I'll be working on the dice to get things a little more sane for a while.
- Instead of rolling Healing Dice, you can take the average rounded up. Like when you level up for your class. You still get the +con mod too. If someone has a healing kit, you can get the max out of the die if it is used (will take 1 of the 10 healing kit usages away but only 1 no matter how many HD you spend).

Skills

Roleplaying will effect your skills even if you aren't trained in them, so it's a good thing to be thoughtful about how you Intimidate something, or go about breaking down a door (maybe using a logging axe on a wooden door gives you a bonus, things like that). But there's something more I'd like to do with skills, and that's putting them into combat. I've had some experience with this before - I had hit an Orc with both weapons that killed it, and wanted to use it's body as a shield as another Orc was still in combat with me. Even though my Althetics roll was low, I had a lot going for me - the Orc had died on my turn, I was trained in the skill I wanted to use, STR was an invested attribute for me, both weapons hit it (which was RPd as sticking both blades in it to use as leverage) and the damage was fairly average on both rolls. I had also planned to put up my Reaction as a price, but the DM felt the above was enough to justify it (mostly because the Orc was dead, the DC would probably be more challenging if it wasn't). The result was giving the next attack against me Disadvantage, which ended up saving me. This was in a game where I had been downed 3 times by a single Orc crit from high HP, each time a different fight/orc. It was reasonable that my character would start taking active precautions without resorting to full Dodging every round.

This means the options are very widely open, potentially abusable and probably quite powerful. I don't mind any of that - I encourage people to come up with unique ways of using their skills to gain something in combat. You may also find ways of overcoming potential short comings as well. An athletics check to spin in place, getting an attack against anyone nearby. Acrobatics to jump off walls for advantage on attacks. Using a creature as a shield (+AC?), maybe even on top of your own shield. "Guarding" a specific spot so that people have to beat your skill roll to pass by you. A lot of things can be done.

The basis for going about this should be done as such: 1) What you want to do, and what skill does it take to do it? 2) What mechanical benefits do you expect to gain from it, if successful? 3) Is it appropriate for your character to perform? Is he strong enough, dexterous enough, smart enough, or is it an act of desperation? Answering these questions gives me insight into what you're after, how I can set up a proper DC that reflects your unique character's abilities, and how well successful or unsuccessful you are. Remember that you are still paying something to do these - beating a DC. Winning should result in something, losing should be unwanted but not a serious set-back (usually simply saying the action does not work will be enough, resulting in a more normal action taking place).

In addition to this, be on the look out to utilize the environment in your attacks and actions. The maps I can make are fairly detailed with little things like stools and torches - knocking people into fireplaces, kicking a chair at your attacker/as you attack, draping hanging cloth on someone, such things could give you advantage or extra damage (especially pushing people into things).

Classes

-Fighters who gain the Battlemaster path can apply their Superiority Dice rolls to skills. Same for their Maneuvers. Essentially, their Maneuvers Save DC formula becomes: 8+Prof Bonus+STR (or) Dex+Whatever the Superiority Dice roll was.

There's probably a lot of tweaks we can do to help correct things you have concerns about, so let me know and we'll hash it out.

Misc Info

irc.synirc.net: #monhunt. I'll try to keep the chat up but I'm struggling with its registration and my attendance for chatrooms has been awful lately. Still, I'm going to try and keep it up and running for us to get together in.
I'll be looking a party of 4, but it also depends on applicants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Bestiary

A surge of wild magic, a battle with a chaos beast, and perhaps the alignments of the stars, all led to one solitary modron going rogue. The Pentadrone surged with energy and new thoughts then fell down. When it got up it found that it had somehow been demoted to a Quadrone again. Except it still retained some semblance of its higher functions. It picked itself up, its mission scrambled. All it knew was that it needed to catalog every single creature, fighting monster after monster to do so, so that it can combine all the information into one great and mighty Bestiary.

The modron, now calling itself Bestiary, began to travel hunting down various monsters to learn all about them, scan them with its truesight, and catalog the information in an internal database. As it travels it finds that it is not a Quadrone. It seems to be able to access some of the abilities it had a Pentadrone, and some of the abilities it had from back when it was a Monodrone, Duadrone or Tridrone. Disconcertingly sometimes it would shift and adjust taking on a different number of sides, looking once more like one of the previous forms it had before its promotion to Pentadrone and weird semi-demotion to Quadrone.

It, he, finds a few other changes. Able to produce and hurl fire for some reason, some ability to tap into something and enhance the capabilities of a piece of wood, and the ability to recover his own and others' wounds. Perhaps strangest of all is his newfound ability to find berries, enhance them, and somehow feed people off a single berry each, while also healing them. Beyond that the data it has been collecting has been sloshing around in his head, begging to seep out. Not in such a way as to lose the information, but in some way that he does not understand. In some way that seems to tie in to his newfound ability to shift between his former forms.

The rise in monstrous attacks in Faerun has led to all the more research for the Eternal Bestiary that Bestiary is keeping, and recent word of a potential problem, that may in fact involve various uncatalogued creatures, has reached Bestiary's er ears. Bestiary has set out to meet this Saori Humblefist in the hope that taking care of her issue will allow him to collect more data.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personality - Somewhat quirky. Lawful and ordered in his way,
yet a bit off compared to most.
Ideal - Everything must be properly recorded, all information must remain.
Bond - I would die, or kill, to complete the Eternal Bestiary.
Flaw - Even with his newfound freedom he is out of touch with humanoid behavior.

pre:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name:		Bestiary				Alignment:	Rogue 
Race:		Rogue Modron				Sub-race:	Monodrone (mostly)
Class:		Druid (4)				Background:	Outlander
Size:		Medium					Homeland:	Mechanus

STR		10 (--)	[10 base]			INT		10 (--)	[10 base]
DEX		10 (--)	[10 base]			WIS		16 (+3)	[15 base + 1 racial]
CON		16 (+3)	[15 base + 1 racial]		CHA		11 (--)	[11 base]

HP		35 / 35	[18 Druid + 9 ability]		AC		15	[15 natural armor]
Proficiency	+2	[Lv. 4]				Initiative	+0	[-- ability]
Speed		30'	[30 racial, switch to 40’ racial, or 30’ and 30’ fly racial]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Melee

Shillelagh
   Bludgeoning	Reach 5'	1d8+3		+ 5 to hit		[2 proficiency + 3 ability]
Special abilities:
   Background:	Rogue Modron
		Skill proficiency (Perception)
		Skill expertise (Perception)

Wanderer (Lawful Programming)
		• Have an excellent memory for maps and geography, and you can always
		  recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around
		  you.  In addition, you can find food and fresh water for yourself and 
		  up to five other people each day, provided that the land offers berries,
		  small game, water, and so forth.

Race:	Rogue Modron
		+1 Constitution / +1 Wisdom
		Language proficiency (common)
		Language proficiency (Modron)
		Natural Armor Class (15, 16 at 4th level)
		Speed:  30’, Fly 30’
		Truesight 120’
		Paralysis Gas (Recharge .5- 6): The modrone 
		exhales a 30·foot cone of gas. Each creature 
		in that area must succeed on a DC l3 (8+prof+Con)
		Constitution saving throw or be paralyzed for 1 minute.
		A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end 
		of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Feats:	Sentinel								[Druid Lv. 4]
		• When you hit a creature with an opportunity attack,
		the creature’s speed becomes 0 for the rest of the turn.
		• Creatures within 5 feet o f you provoke opportunity
		attacks from you even if they take the Disengage
		action before leaving your reach.
		• When a creature within 5 feet of you makes an attack
		against a target other than you (and that target doesn’t
		have this feat), you can use your reaction to make a
		melee weapon attack against the attacking creature.

Class:	Druidic								[Druid Lv. 1]
		You know Druidic, the secret language of druids. You
		can speak the language and use it to leave hidden
		messages. You and others who know this language
		automatically spot such a message. Others spot the
		message’s presence with a successful DC 15 Wisdom
		(Perception) check but can’t decipher it without magic.

Spellcasting							[Druid Lv. 1]
		Follows the normal spellcasting rules.
		Cantrips   Know 2 Cantrips from the Druid list.
		Preparing and Casting Spells  Know all Druid 
		spells of 1st level, prepare Druid Level +Wis mod.
		4, spells after a long rest.  Can cast 2 per day.
		Spellcasting Ability  Is Wisdom.  Add Wis mod
		to Proficiency for spell attacks, and Spell DC is 
		8 + Proficiency + Wis Mod.
		Ritual Casting  Can cast Druid spells with 
		the ritual tag as a ritual.  If they are prepared.
		Spellcasting Focus  Can use a druidic focus.

Wild Shape							[Druid Lv. 2]
		Starting at 2nd level, you can use your action to
		magically assume the shape o f a beast that you have
		seen before. You can use this feature twice. You regain
		expended uses when you finish a short or long rest.
		Your druid level determines the beasts you can
		transform into, as shown in the Beast Shapes table. At
		2nd level, for example, you can transform into any beast
		that has a challenge rating o f 1/4 or lower that doesn’t
		have a flying or swimming speed.
		You can stay in a beast shape for a number o f hours
		equal to half your druid level (rounded down). You then
		revert to your normal form unless you expend another
		use o f this feature. You can revert to your normal
		form earlier by using a bonus action on your turn. You
		automatically revert if you fall unconscious, drop to
		0 hit points, or die.
		While shape shifted:  1)  Game statistics are replaced by 
		beast's.  2)  Keep my own proficiencies in addition to 
		gaining the creature's.  3)  Assume the beast's HP, when
		they run out I return to my own HP, losing any excess
		from the damage that reduced the beast's HP to 0.
		4)  Can't cast spells, and cannot speak unless the form
		could.  5)  Retain any benefits of race or class so 
		long as the form is capable of them.  6)  Choose 
		whether each item of equipment falls to the ground or
		merges with my form.

Druid Circle							[Druid Lv. 2]
		At 2nd level, you choose to
		identify with a circle o f druids:
		the Circle o f the Land or the Circle o f the Moon, both
		detailed at the end o f the class description. Your choice
		grants you features at 2nd level and again at 6th, 10th,
		and 14th level.

Circle of the Moon						[Druid Lv. 2]
		Combat Wild Shape
		When you choose this circle at 2nd level, you gain the
		ability to use Wild Shape on your turn as a bonus action,
		rather than as an action.
		Additionally, while you are transformed by Wild
		Shape, you can use a bonus action to expend one
		spell slot to regain 1d8 hit points per level of the spell
		slot expended.
		Circle Forms
		The rites of your circle grant you the ability to transform
		into more dangerous animal forms. Starting at 2nd
		level, you can use your Wild Shape to transform into a
		beast with a challenge rating as high as 1 (you ignore
		the Max. CR column of the Beast Shapes table, but must
		abide by the other limitations there).
		Starting at 6th level, you can transform into a beast
		with a challenge rating as high as your druid level
		divided by 3, rounded down.

Proficiencies:
Skills:
Athletics		+ 0		---		STR	[0 proficiency + 0 ability]
Acrobatics		+ 0		---		DEX	[0 proficiency + 0 ability]
Sleight of hand		+ 0		---		DEX	[0 proficiency + 0 ability]
Stealth			+ 0		---		DEX	[0 proficiency + 0 ability]
Knowledge
   (arcana)		+ 0		---		INT	[0 proficiency + 0 ability]
   (history)		+ 0		---		INT	[0 proficiency + 0 ability]
   (investigation)	+ 0		---		INT	[0 proficiency + 0 ability]
   (nature)		+ 2		Druid		INT	[0 proficiency + 0 ability]
   (religion)		+ 0		---		INT	[0 proficiency + 0 ability]
Animal handling		+ 3		---		WIS	[0 proficiency + 3 ability]
Insight			+ 5		Druid		WIS	[2 proficiency + 3 ability]
Medicine		+ 3		---		WIS	[2 proficiency + 3 ability]
Perception		+ 7		Modron		WIS	[2 proficiency + 3 ability +2 Expertise]
Survival		+ 3		---		WIS	[2 proficiency + 3 ability]
Deception		+ 0		---		CHA	[0 proficiency + 0 ability]
Intimidation		+ 0		---		CHA	[0 proficiency + 0 ability]
Performance		+ 0		---		CHA	[0 proficiency + 0 ability]
Persuasion		+ 0		---		CHA	[0 proficiency + 0 ability]

Equipment:
Arms			Clubs, daggers, darts, javelins, 
			maces, quarterstaffs, scimitars, 
			sickles, slings, spears			[Druid]
Armor			Light / Medium	 ( no metal)		[Druid]
Shields			All (no metal)				[Druid]
Instruments		None					
Tools			Herbalism				[Druid]

Saves:
Strength		+ 0		---			[0 proficiency + 0 ability]
Dexterity		+ 0		---			[0 proficiency + 0 ability]
Constitution		+ 3		---			[0 proficiency + 3 ability]
Intelligence		+ 2		Druid			[2 proficiency + 0 ability]
Wisdom			+ 5		Druid			[2 proficiency + 3 ability]
Charisma		+ 0		---			[0 proficiency + 0 ability]

Languages:	 	2					[2 racial]
   Standard            (2):		Common, Modron
Spellcasting:
Cantrips
   Produce Flame			[Conjuration]		[Druid]
   Shillelagh				[Transmutation]		[Druid]
   Druidcraft				[Transmutation]		[Druid]

Level 1
   Cure Wounds				[Evocation]		[Druid]
   Goodberry				[Transmutation]		[Druid]
   Healing word				[Evocation]		[Druid]
   Thunderwave				[Evocation]		[Druid]
Level 2
   Heat Metal				[Transmutation]		[Druid]
   Lesser Restoration			[Abjuration]		[Druid]
   Enhance Ability 			[Transmutation]		[Druid]
Wealth:

Arms
Quarterstaff			(    2   sp)		  4    lbs.

Armor and clothing
Sprig of Mistletoe		(    1   gp)		  -    lbs.	
Herbalism kit			(    5   gp)		  3    lbs.
Component pouch			(   25  gp)		  2    lbs.
Explorer’s Pack			(   10  gp)		  ?    lbs.
Fishing Tackle			(    1  gp)		   4    lbs.

Explorer’s Pack:  Includes a backpack, a bedroll,
a mess kit, a tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations, and
a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope
strapped to the side of it.

Gold pieces			( 157  gp, 8 sp)

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 24, 2015

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Alan Maernos

The current heir to House Maernos of Waterdeep, Alan grew up knowing great luxury. His relatives conducted most of the city's financial activity, and so were never short on coin. However, Alan was never one to lust for great riches, and would often be caught simply handing money over to the poor, to his family's shame. If he was to one day lead the family, he was told, he would have to learn that one should not give handouts unless they stand to profit from it. The lessons didn't take, and Alan found himself frequently being lectured for his abundance of charity. Inspired by an old book he'd found in the attic of his family's manor, Alan began to train at weapons in his teenage years, swiftly mastering the use of blades. When he came of age, he abruptly announced that he would be leaving, offering his prowess to all those in need, free of charge. Disowning the lad for what commoners would consider poor reasons would disgrace his family, so they had no choice but to allow Alan to leave without significant protest.

However, before Alan could make it out the door, he found himself saddled with companions, as his personal retainers insisted on joining him, loyal to the end. The trio consists of a valet, a dour Elf named Qiric, a maid, a jovial Dwarven woman by the name of Bronlin, and a footman, an enthusiastic halfling known as Pergin. The respect and admire their master's commitment to helping the common folk, and will do their best to make sure he doesn't starve to death or eat something poisonous. They advised him on what supplies he would need as he ventured out into the world, and kept him from wasting too much gold. In the end, they could only save a little over two-hundred gold pieces from Alan's compulsive charity, enough for basic supplies, including a cart and pony. Neither Pergin nor Bronlin were used to long-distance travel, so the halfling rode on the pony, while the dwarf shared the cart with the group's tents and other larger or heavier items (which, all told, represent a reasonable load for the pony). As a young man a few centuries prior, Qiric had served as a soldier, and while he was no longer fit for combat, he could handle the walking without complaint. Alan, while just as unused to travel as his maid and footman, resolved to do all of his own walking, as befits an adventurer.

Idealistic to the point of naivete, Alan has only been on the road a few weeks when he hears the summons of Saori Humblefist. He doesn't hesitate to alter his travel plans, heading immediately towards Oakwood. Sure, he may not have ever been in a real battle before, but there's a first time for everything.

Race: Human (Variant version)

Class: Fighter

Level: 4

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Ability Scores:
STR: 16
DEX: 14
CON: 10
INT: 14
WIS: 8
CHA: 12

HP: 30 (HP Rolls by level: 2, 3, 4)
AC: 17
Initiative: +2
Saving throw proficiencies: Strength, Con
Attack line: +5 to hit, 1d8+3 damage 19-20 (x2)
Spell Save DC: 12
Proficiency Bonus: 2

Archetype: Eldritch Knight/Champion

Skill Proficiencies: Insight, Perception, Persuasion, History, Investigation, Arcana, Nature, Religion

Tool Proficiency Dragonchess

Languages: Common, Dwarven, Elven

Fighting Style: Two-Weapon Fighting (gain full ability mod to offhand damage)

Feats: Dual Wielder (+1 AC while dual wielding, dual wielding not restricted to light weapons, can draw or stow both weapons at once), War Caster (+5 to Concentration to keep spells while taking damage, can cast while holding weapons, can cast spells as opportunity attacks), Skilled (+3 skills)

Spells:

-Cantrips: Fire Bolt, Ray of Frost

-Level 1 (3/day): Magic Missile, Shield, Feather Fall, Chromatic Orb

Background: Noble (Retainers variant)

-Personality Traits: The common folk love me for my kindness and generosity; Despite my noble birth, I do not place myself above the common folk. We all have the same blood.

-Ideal: Independence. I must prove that I can handle myself without the coddling of my family.

-Bond: The common folk must see me as a hero of the people.

-Flaw: By my words and actions, I often bring shame to my family. (And should my parents ever have another son, they would not hesitate to arrange my assassination. Certain cousins and uncles are already plotting to have me "forcibly removed from the line of succession".)

Other Abilities: Second Wind, Action Surge, Weapon Bond (can no longer be disarmed of bonded weapons, can call them to hand from anywhere on the plane with a bonus action, can have up to two weapons bonded at once)

Equipment: Fine clothes, signet ring, scroll of pedigree (carried by Qiric, Alan would just as soon burn it), presumably fancier-than-normal coin purse, two Longswords (magically bonded), Scale Mail, Dragonchess set, backpack (four), bedroll (four), bell, blanket (four), bullseye lantern, mess kit (four), steel mirror, iron pot, signal whistle, two-person tent (two), waterskin (four), whetstone, fishing tackle, crowbar, grappling hook, ten-foot pole, silk rope (fifty feet), parchment (twenty sheets), ink and quill, sealing wax, map/scroll case, ten days of rations for four people, cart with saddled pony, ten days of feed, soap (enough to last forever), a sack (for the soap), climbing kit

-Trinket: A book that tells the story of a legendary hero's rise and fall, with the last chapter missing. (One of Alan's cherished boyhood possessions)

Cash: 126 gold

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 24, 2015

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I want to make something for this. The hard part is deciding what to play. I'm too drat indecisive :ohdear:

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
As a heads up, I do hope to get enough money in your hands early enough to afford some of the upgraded armors before too long.

Alan looks solid, and I think we can work his background into the game after a while. In regards to your cohorts, if you want to track down a facial picture for each one, I'll turn them into little icons we can use during the game when they speak or are interacted with. Doesn't look like they can be used for battle, but we can waive the "won't go to dangerous areas" thing so they can be with you if you like. They'll be fluff pieces that mostly stay out of direct conflict, supporting you indirectly (we can come up with ways to utilize 'em as we go).

There's a point later on where you'll be visiting Waterdeep as part of a thing the group can do. Being kinda/sorta part of a family with their hands in the city's coins could lead to an interesting event or two.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Dick Burglar posted:

I want to make something for this. The hard part is deciding what to play. I'm too drat indecisive :ohdear:

I'm pretty open about retiring characters for new ones that get too boring mid-adventure, if that helps you pull the trigger on something.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

I'm not the fastest at making a character but I'm tossing a wild magic sorcerer together right now! So uh expect that at some point, hah.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 7, 2015

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I'd like to apply for this campaign with the monk character I wasn't able to use in Ryuujin's new Sorcerer's Isle thread. Let me just reset her to level 1 and redo her inventory and I'll have everything posted here for consideration.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Lothire posted:

I'm pretty open about retiring characters for new ones that get too boring mid-adventure, if that helps you pull the trigger on something.

In that case I'll probably go with my flavor-of-the-moment favorite, a paladin*. I like support classes and I like ~helping the team~ :angel: I'll throw something together, probably stealing somebody else's sheet template to do so, by the end of the weekend.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Varella Emberlight Character Sheet

Varella Emberlight Background story

Varella Emberlight Level One Equipment List

The Order of the Starry Sky received word of Soari Humblefist's request for assistance via the many scholars and merchants who visit the monastery seeking wisdom and assistance. The Order decided it would be necessary to send one of their own to aid the people of Oakwood. Not only was there an immediate need to protect the workers of the town but there was cause to discover the larger issues causing the unrest. Varella Emberlight was chosen by the elder brothers and sisters for this mission. Varella had come to the Order after her father had "offered" her as a potential acolyte as a sign of respect. The reality was that she had spurned the expectations her father had of her to be wedded off in a marriage of convenience to help him gain more power in the land. She had rebuffed many arranged suitors, often injuring them when they presumed to put their hands where they were not welcome. It was within the confines of the monastery that the monks took a young girl cast out from everything she knew and taught her what it truly meant to be herself. She learned self worth, disciple, and to let go of the anger she had for what had been forced upon her. The monks introduced her to the Way of the Open Hand. Where she was once brash and impulsive in a fight she was learning patience and precision.

Varella accepted the mission. She was eager to prove herself worth of the care and compassion the Order had given her when she had lost everything. And though some of her brothers and sisters wouldn't be eager to her it she was also looking forward to the adventure. Many of them wanted nothing more then to study tomes of knowledge and meditate peaceful. Varella was always looking forward to the next good fight. Whether it was orcs or bandits she always felt more alive in the heat of combat. Nothing made her happier then a good right cross finding it's mark on an orc's jaw. And she intended to spread as much happiness as possible to those who had ill intent for the people of Oakwood.

Trast fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Mar 8, 2015

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Lothire posted:

As a heads up, I do hope to get enough money in your hands early enough to afford some of the upgraded armors before too long.

Alan looks solid, and I think we can work his background into the game after a while. In regards to your cohorts, if you want to track down a facial picture for each one, I'll turn them into little icons we can use during the game when they speak or are interacted with. Doesn't look like they can be used for battle, but we can waive the "won't go to dangerous areas" thing so they can be with you if you like. They'll be fluff pieces that mostly stay out of direct conflict, supporting you indirectly (we can come up with ways to utilize 'em as we go).

There's a point later on where you'll be visiting Waterdeep as part of a thing the group can do. Being kinda/sorta part of a family with their hands in the city's coins could lead to an interesting event or two.

Well, yeah, the Retainers are more just characters to help out with simple errands, cooking, cleaning, and so on, the description says flat-out that they aren't meant to fight, plus I felt that with only four players, having a few tag-alongs would keep it from feeling too lonely. And no rush on working in his backstory, I figure it'll just crop up as a subplot over time. Wouldn't want to overshadow any of the other party members. Also, yeah, Alan's status in Waterdeep is complicated as both the heir to a powerful family and the black sheep of the same, and it will be fun to explore that when the time comes.

Anyway, it was surprisingly hard to find appropriate pictures, apparently fantasy artists don't approve of characters in non-combat roles, but here are the best results I could find.

Qiric (he decided to leave his nice suit behind and stick with simpler clothes, ignore what appears to be a sword in his hand, I'm hoping it'll be cropped out on his pog)

Bronlin (style's a bit more exaggerated than I'd hoped, but there's surprisingly little art that depicts dwarven women properly, i.e. having beards)

Pergin (I found this one so quickly that I actually got angry, given how frickin' impossible it was to find a picture of an elf in precisely the same style of clothing)

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Does Pergin's last name start with an S? :v:

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Malo Baker full character sheet

Name: Malo Baker
Race: Half-Elf
Class: 6 Sorcerer (Wild magic)
Alignment: Neutral Good
Ability Scores:
STR: 8 (-1)
DEX: 16 (+3)
CON:14 (+2)
INT: 10 (+0)
WIS: 10 (+0)
CHA: 18 (+4)

Used point buy for my stats with the half-elves +2 to cha and +1 to dex and con from the assorted bonus they get.

+1 from Actor.

HP: 36
AC: 13+1 magic robe
Initiative: +3
Saving throw proficiencies: Con Cha
Skill Proficiencies: Acrobatics, Arcana, Deception, History, Stealth, and Sleight of Hand.
Languages: Common, Celestial, Elven, Goblin, and Draconic.
Background:Sage(Librarian)
Personality Traits: I reckon I might just be a kid from a hole in the middle of nowhere but I ain't gonna let you look down on me.
Everyone's got a bit of good in them that's what Ma taught me, I'll trust ya until you prove me wrong about you.
Ideal: Power: I ain't been able to grasp this kind of magic my whole life, if I can get even more I can help folk all over the world.
Bond: As much as I ain't like the Harpells I do owe that Tovor fella my life for fixing me up.
Flaw: After repeated run-ins with Kezef I ain't the most sound of mind person and I might have developed a bit of a substance abuse problem.
Trinket:

Spells- Spell Attack Bonus=7 Spell DC= 15
Cantrips: Mending, Prestidigitation, Shocking grasp, Fire bolt, and Mage hand.
1st Level: Magic missle and mage armor.
2nd Level: Mirror image and Scorching Ray.
3rd Level: Haste, Dispel Magic, and Fireball.

Cash: 139gp

History:
Sitting across from Malo in the pub you wouldn't be surprised as this young man, his hair disheveled and face pale from lack of sleep, goes on about the horrifying things he's seen in his travels. He'll politely thank you for the drink you buy him and regale you with tales of the things he's seen. It seems like you're in for another good night of laughing at the newest crazed fool passing through town when he pulls out a book and begins to show you diagrams, pointing out all of the misconceptions people have over the ecosytem of the common ghast.

Malo has lived a good life with a decent base education, but as is the case with most those marked by sorcery he wasn't bound for the in depth magical education his parents were able to afford him. Sure he went to the school his parents had sent him to but more often than not he was off in the woods sketching or pulling a shift in the library studying up on the fantastical creatures that could be found elsewhere in the world.

Malo's first run in with his "gift" was 3 months into his magical schooling, his class was drilling the basic cantrips and during his testing presentation a little something extra snuck its way into the world and the next thing he knew his flesh had turned blue and half his teeth had fallen out only to be quickly replaced in a few moments. The shock and scorn of his fellow classmates very quickly led to Malo partaking in fewer and fewer of his classes. They did manage to fix the blue skin but he still spits out random teeth from time to time, sometimes one of his falls out and regrows but it isn't unheard of that the tooth that falls out of his mouth isn't his.

Come recent months Malo has withdrawn from the school and returned to his hometown of Oakwood where he is working to pay his parents back for the fortune they spent on sending him off to learn. Recently Malo's uncle dropped in with news from his old friend Saori Humblefist, suggesting that Malo go assist with her issues as a step up in paying back his parents.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 28, 2015

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Sephaerinus Kail

Trinket: 1d100 25 A tiny silver icon of a raven.

Entertainer modifications:
Skill proficiencies: Performance, Persuasion
Tool proficiencies: Lute, Brewer's supplies

Aside from pointed ears and high cheekbones, Kail looks essentially human. This helped relieve a great deal of stigma of being a half-breed, as many people simply didn't notice. His tanned, bronze skin hints at his wood elven heritage, but it is also fairly common among humanity as well. He lets his brown hair grow out somewhat, to help cover the tips of his ears, but not so long that it covers his eyes.

---

Kail grew up in the small city of Yartar, though he has not set foot in the place for quite some time now as he is no longer welcome. Some years ago he managed to get tied up with a fledgling thieves' guild due to a need for excitement. He would case potential marks and report his findings, then let the thieves do their work. What started out as mostly small burglaries of wealthy nobles and merchants quickly spread out into all manner of crimes. It all came to a head when a plague swept across the west, affecting hundreds in the city alone. The disease could be treated, but it required an antidote to be imported from Silverymoon. With Kail acting as a spotter, the thieves' guild hijacked the caravan and stole the entire shipment. They sold tiny amounts to those wealthy enough to pay their exorbitant prices, but when the rest of the city couldn't pay they secreted the rest off to wealthier cities like Luskan and Waterdeep to sell off for their high price. Without a way to properly treat the disease, scores of people in Yartar succumbed to the plague and died.

Horrified, Kail went before the city magistrate and exposed the plot, as well as the guild itself. With his testimony the city was able to charge all of the actors in the scheme with high crimes. Kail was spared the worst of the charges because he had been the one to come forward and provide information, but for his part he was permanently banished from the city. He has spent the last handful of years as a wandering healer, trying to make up for his past actions.

Crap bio~

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 8, 2015

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
The stories are coming in and I'm getting excited! I plan to make the call sometime tomorrow to get the game rolling; I may be getting busy when the week starts and having the game up and running before then will help out.

So get on those entries, finishing touches, etc!

Monk E
May 19, 2009

Lia Amastica

Lia was born and spent her childhood in the underdark. As member of the Amastica family a lineage known for their inborn talent for channeling magical forces Lia was poised with her family at the top of the local underdark ecosystem both in wealth and power which meant that she enjoyed all the comforts one could only obtain at the expense of others from excessive greed to the pleading eyes of those envious of the pure destructive power her family wielded with such childish abandon.

Lia's darkly Charmed way of life continued with little variance until the day her mother died at the hands of vengeful duergar. Though the pain of loss was distant to Lia at the time her father Adran Amastica was effected deeply by the loss and becoming disenchanted with the glamorous life he had been leading took Lia and splintered away from the rest of his family taking mercenary jobs and using the money to set up a humble house on the surface with only their most prized possessions.

Through the Years Adran and Lia became particularly close one of Adrans fellow mercenaries a tiefling Ammon whom Adran entrusted with Lias care during particularly long absences, an arrangement that became permanent when Adran left on a job only to never return. As Ammons child Lia began to truly understand empathy learning that even a race as reviled as tieflings were just as capable of being admirable creatures as her kind.

While Lia was happy under Ammon's care there was still a part of her that deeply missed the power she felt in her youth and with his passing these once nagging feelings began to take over. Over the years Lia experimented with many untread avenues of magic in search of further power however no lead was more fruitful than the one that brought her into contact with an entity known only as the old one. With the power derived from her dealings with the creature in tow Lia set out for fame and fortune following in the footsteps of her fathers as a mercenary.

Race: Drow
Class Levels: Warlock (1)
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Background: Noble (Position of Privilege)

Ability Scores:
STR: 12
DEX: 16
CON: 13
INT: 10
WIS: 8
CHA: 16
HP: 9
AC: 15
Initiative: +3
Proficiency Bonus: +2

Saving throw proficiencies: Charisma, Constitutution
Features: Sunlight Sensitivity, Superior Darkvision, Otherworldly Patron(Great Old Ones), Pact Magic, Awakened Mind
Spellcasting: Spell Attack Bonus = 5, Spell Save DC = 13, Spell Slots = 1
Cantrips:
Blade Ward
Eldrich Blast
1st Level Spells:
Tasha’s Hideous Laughter
Arms of Hadar

Skill Proficiencies: Deception, Persuasion, History, Intimidation, Disadvantage on Stealth
Tool Proficiency: Dragonchess
Weapon Proficiencys: Rapiers, Shortswords, Hand Crossbows, Simple Weapons
Armor Proficiencys: Light Armor
Languages: Common, Infernal, and Elven

Personality Traits: Prideful, a Perfectionist
Ideal: To be a member of the “Upper Crust” in all aspects of life.
Bond: I loved my stepfather he taught me everything I know about being a good person and loosing him hurt me greatly
Flaw: Inflated ego, Stubborn

Equipment: Studded Leather (Wearing), Component Pouch, Orb, Soap, Fine Clothes, Rapier
GP:65

edit: fixed the armor

Monk E fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 8, 2015

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Monk E, warlocks are only proficient in light armor, and scale mail is medium armor. Also it only supports +2 AC from Dex unless you spend a feat. Or am I missing something?

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

So Lothire the important fun question :v: if I'm playing do you want to do the roll a d20 to check for a wild surge at the DMs discretion thing or can I just roll to check for a surge every time I cast a non-cantrip?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Vorag

A rare sight in the Sword Coast, Vorag the dragonborn has never lived among his people. He was taken at an early age and used for the entertainment of corrupt nobles and sadistic peasants in a distant land. Gladiator pits were the only home he knew. But they trained him too well. In time he escaped that place, leaving only a burning ruin in his wake.

Vorag has wandered far, evading capture and bounties, seeking a new home. Such terrible sports are banned among the good folk of the Sword Coast and for once he finds himself in a place worth defending. His many battles in the arena against wild beasts has prepared him well for the tasks ahead.

One of the dragonborn, Vorag hasn't fallen far from the tree. The traits of his brass heritage are strong in him: talkative, bold and a bit greedy (for gold or simply attention!), Vorag craves the spotlight even as he risks being discovered by the bounty hunters who stalk him still. Were he returned alive, his captor could retire for life.

Fancy sheet

Vorag posted:

Dragonborn Fighter 1
Chaotic Good

Str:16 Con: 14 Dex: 10
Int: 08 Wis: 10 Cha: 16

AC: 19 (chain+shield+1)
HP: 12 HD: 1d10
Saves: Str, Con
Background: Entertainer (Gladiator)
Trait: Talkative. Loves a good joke, story or insult, and craves the center of attention
Ideal: Bold action is needed to change the world or to save yourself.
Bond: I'll do anything for those held in captivity, be it chains or unjust laws.
Flaw: Famous among the worst types, I'm hunted for return to the gladiator pits.

Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Intimidation, Performance
Racials: Brass ancestry, 5'x30' fire breath: 2d6 fire, CON save for half; Resists Fire
Class features: Fighting style (Defense, +1AC), Second Wind
Gear: chainmail, shield, longsword, greatsword, 2 hand axes, explorer's pack, 30g

ritorix fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 8, 2015

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
The fix is in! Recruitment is closed and the game will be up soon, list of players and all. I thank everybody for taking time to submit, and extend my apologies for those who do not make it. If you're interested in playing if and/or when another player drops out of the game, please let me know and I'll add you to the bench.

This thread is now for OOC discussions!

*Game thread is up.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 8, 2015

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Hey, given the party's composition, I'm gonna make some minor last-minute revisions to my character. I noticed that five of the party's six characters have at least a secondary focus on social skills, so I want to swap some stuff to reduce the redundancy.

To summarize, I swapped my Charisma and Intelligence, then switched Intimidation and Deception for Perception and Investigation.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 9, 2015

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Work will make it pretty hard for me to post without access to my computer (all my info for the game, maps, etc), but it also keeps me from my phone a lot of the time anyways. Work can shift between 8 to 10 hour days too, but I find 10 hour days is typical. As a heads up of when you can expect me to be on to post, sometime around 8-9pm PST is when I've beaten through traffic and am home, baring any overtime. I like having weekends open, but most people get busy around them anyways so posting is slow on those days. I'll be doing what I can to jump into mIRC too when I'm good to post.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Hey, Ritorix, quick question, are you planning to go Battle Master or Champion at 3? I was thinking Champion for Alan, but with my current build, Eldritch Knight is an intriguing possibility, so let me know if you want Champion so I know what to plan ahead for.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Lothire posted:

Work will make it pretty hard for me to post without access to my computer (all my info for the game, maps, etc), but it also keeps me from my phone a lot of the time anyways. Work can shift between 8 to 10 hour days too, but I find 10 hour days is typical. As a heads up of when you can expect me to be on to post, sometime around 8-9pm PST is when I've beaten through traffic and am home, baring any overtime. I like having weekends open, but most people get busy around them anyways so posting is slow on those days. I'll be doing what I can to jump into mIRC too when I'm good to post.

That will work out fine. We all have to pay the bills after all. And not all of use have flexible usage of the computer at work.

EclecticTastes posted:

Hey, Ritorix, quick question, are you planning to go Battle Master or Champion at 3? I was thinking Champion for Alan, but with my current build, Eldritch Knight is an intriguing possibility, so let me know if you want Champion so I know what to plan ahead for.

I've read some posts about goons being underwhelmed by eldritch knight so you might want to post in the 5e newbie thread and see if anyone there can break it down for you and any reasons why it might perform below average as suggested.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Trast posted:

I've read some posts about goons being underwhelmed by eldritch knight so you might want to post in the 5e newbie thread and see if anyone there can break it down for you and any reasons why it might perform below average as suggested.

I'll be sure to do that if I ever care about effectiveness or optimization.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

I'll be sure to do that if I ever care about effectiveness or optimization.

Also a perfectly valid option. :lol:

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Do what you gotta do, Lothire. No biggie.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

EclecticTastes posted:

Neither, fighter is just a stopover to steal a few class options. He'll still be a melee combatant though.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

ritorix posted:

Neither, fighter is just a stopover to steal a few class options. He'll still be a melee combatant though.

Badical. Champion it is, then. I wasn't looking forward to pouring a bunch of feat/ability score increase options into bringing spellcasting up to snuff. I mean, it looked pretty interesting from a flavor perspective, but it seemed like it would take away from my preferred playstyle of hitting things with swords all day every day.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

This is me after writing a pretty bit of roleplay and then rolling my dice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

From now on I am rolling then writing. :v:

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

EclecticTastes posted:

Badical. Champion it is, then. I wasn't looking forward to pouring a bunch of feat/ability score increase options into bringing spellcasting up to snuff. I mean, it looked pretty interesting from a flavor perspective, but it seemed like it would take away from my preferred playstyle of hitting things with swords all day every day.

You will find Champion boring.

Ok, maybe you won't. If you do, let me know, we'll talk about hooking you up with both Champion and Battlemaster path. It is a thing that has been suggested more than a few times by goons to do.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I think due to the slightly anarchic nature of the turn-taking, we've hit some rather wasteful targeting snags. Vorag and Kail killed the fallen bandit twice over, so Bestiary's fire would probably have been aimed at a different target, likely the bandit at A3, at which point he would drop, as well, having suffered sword hits from Alan.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Yeaaaaaah, I started writing my post about a minute after the combat post went up and kind of dawdled about getting it out and doing my rolls and suddenly many people had attacked. Lothire indicated in irc that there would be a little turn optimization so we aren't all pummeling a dead dude.

But yeah, having folks call out specific targets by the grid would help a lot as well.

IRC posted:

[22:54] <Lothire> So varella is only one left.
[22:54] <Lothire> Can I put off cobbling all the damage/turns together until tomorrow?
[22:54] <Lothire> That way hers is good and it gets a little optimized.
[22:54] <Lothire> Possibly maybe ending this.

I've been plotting out character progression for Malo a bit and reading into warlock I might take character level 2 and 3 as Warlock to get the punchier fall back of the invocationed agonizing eldritch blast and to pick up an at-will free mage armor so my ac is a respectable caster 16(21 on command with the shield spell reaction.)

The warlock has different caster slots than my sorcerer slots( I get 2 first level slots at warlock 2) that actually recharge on a short rest which is nice as I can use the spell slots there to cast my defensive stuff which will recharge after combat essentially leaving my first level sorcery slots to be used or broken down for sorcery points before the end of the day.

After that I'll just be going straight up the sorcerer ladder and taking a few support and utility spells with a sprinkling of blasty powers. It'll be a little weird to explain away with Malo's distrust of other casters but hey his weird spontaneous magic powers had to have come from somewhere, why not a Great Old One, his original librarian focus was gonna be Chthonic metaphysics after all :eng101:, you can only break reality so many times before something notices you. :v:

Leafing through the warlock section again it seems like taking the old one pact gives me some short range telepathy too!

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 11, 2015

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Looks like you guys had more fun during the evening while I was in bed. Curse those time zones and having to get to work early. So it looks like just do to that I'll be taking my turn in the early AM barring early updates from Lothire. No pressure though Lothire I know what your schedule is it's cool. It lets Varella dart around and finish people off!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Well, regardless of whether or not Bestiary's fire was aimed at the weakened bandit or not, they're both dead now. Is it okay if I pop Second Wind before we exit Combat Mode? It's a pretty efficient healing method for first level.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Second Wind can be used at any time even out of combat, so feel free. I've made healing kits a bit more useful too, figured that'd be nice to have at the low levels and not always rely on Ryuujin serving berries all day.

Having the initiative clump up like that is a practice I prefer, because it lets everybody go when they check up on the thread and DON'T have to wait for my slow rear end work day posting. The confusion does come from not labeling which enemy a person is hitting, but I'd rather deal with a little back end optimizing than preventing people from posting their turns because of strict initiative order.

With that said, don't worry about clarifying what you're doing or hitting if it's not easy to figure what is/isn't damage, where things are, etc. We may have some Theater Of The Mind Moments where that is how things will have play out anyways, though I try hard to have maps for you (kind of the whole reason for the game). Giving me rolls and having me put them in the most reasonable of places is no problem.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I'd say the most efficient way to streamline combat is to have all the enemies go on the same Initiative number. Then all the players can act at once after the first enemy turn, even if some of the party got to go before them on the first turn (because, with the enemies all going at the same time, it's just a big block of all the player turns before the next enemy turn).

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Question about the current combat. We've gone through one round with the spider and are now at the top of initiative for round two correct? I see that Dick Burglar/Kail posted after the new map update. So that means it's Ryuujin/Beastiary, then the spider, then Vorag and I can go if I am reading this correctly? Just trying to catch up to the stuff that happen after I crashed for the night.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
You had an earlier post in the thread with your 6 damage that you put in early before going to bed (when it was bestiary/kails turn). Once the spider went, I applied that post and resolved everyone elses.

Now that the spider has taken its action, everyone gets to go again. Initiative now basically turns the fight into Spider Goes, Players Goes, Repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Bestiary updated to level 2!

• Locked thread