Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Foolster41 posted:

yeah, I don't much care to keep the headless cows. Scissors actually works pretty well too.

Just 9 more to go

Fallout game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Avenging Dentist posted:

I'd be careful with paperclips. If they're steel, you'll need heavy-duty wire cutters unless you like ruining your hobby cutters. Aluminum paper clips should be fine, although I think they're weaker than brass. The other nice thing about brass rod is that it's perfectly round and smooth, so it's also useful for replacing particularly narrow staffs/banner poles. Plus, K&S's 1/16" brass tubing fits perfectly around their 1/32" brass rod, so it's easy to make a detachable banner pole with it.

Is there any good way of telling what random paperclips you've got are?

EDIT: Also, unrelated query, but I'm in the UK. What brands are analogous to windex/simple green for dissolving paint here?

spectralent fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 13, 2015

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

spectralent posted:

EDIT: Also, unrelated query, but I'm in the UK. What brands are analogous to windex/simple green for dissolving paint here?

Put a magnet near the paper clips?

Also the OP has various info on paint stripping, my go-to is clean spirit.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

spectralent posted:

It's not a perfect test, but if you can pick up your paperclip with a magnet, it's probably steel.

e: Beaten, so I'll add a probably-obvious bit of safety advice. Wear goggles, and/or be careful about securing both ends of your pin when you snip it so you don't put out an eye.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 13, 2015

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I ordered the Halloween bundle special from Reaper Mini, and it arrived in the mail today! Their freebie package included a little baggie with some candy in it and some free paints, plus a free miniature. So while opening up all the figures I ordered, let's see what freebie mini I get...

*sad trombone sound*

At least I got free paint and a couple of Starburst and whatever. Plus it is hilarious that they packaged a rock inside mini packaging and sent it to me in the mail.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I don't care what anyone else thinks. That's hilarious.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

spectralent posted:

As a rule of thumb cheap paper clips are almost always soft metal and you can cut them just fine. Do it enough times you'll develop a good gage of material just from the pressure you feel when you cut it with your hobby clippers/wire cutters

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

HJE-Cobra posted:

I ordered the Halloween bundle special from Reaper Mini, and it arrived in the mail today! Their freebie package included a little baggie with some candy in it and some free paints, plus a free miniature. So while opening up all the figures I ordered, let's see what freebie mini I get...

*sad trombone sound*

At least I got free paint and a couple of Starburst and whatever. Plus it is hilarious that they packaged a rock inside mini packaging and sent it to me in the mail.

That's fantastic. Does it have the $9999 price tag on it?

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

LordAba posted:

Fallout game?

Yep. Fallout: Warfare.
I'm gathering an army. I now have:
3 BOS paladin w/ SMG
1 BOS Paladin w/ minigun
1 BOS Paladin Rifle/Heavy Rifle
3 Brahin
1 Reaver/Raider/Beastlord W. SMG
2 Rad scropions
1 Deathclaw

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Slimnoid posted:

That's fantastic. Does it have the $9999 price tag on it?

No, there wasn't any price tag on the rock. The back of the package is just the regular Reaper Dark Heaven Bones packaging info about "Amazing detail from the best sculptors" and "10% recycled material" and so on.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So I've been painting my Heavy Dragonspawn kits, which I magnetized since one is from the Legion starter and the other AIO so this gives me some nice variety, and I've run into a snag - the magnets keep ripping themselves free. Any suggestions on the best adhesive to keep these little guys in? Epoxy? I had prepared the surfaces but any attempt at regluing isn't working overly well.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

So I've been painting my Heavy Dragonspawn kits, which I magnetized since one is from the Legion starter and the other AIO so this gives me some nice variety, and I've run into a snag - the magnets keep ripping themselves free. Any suggestions on the best adhesive to keep these little guys in? Epoxy? I had prepared the surfaces but any attempt at regluing isn't working overly well.

I magnetized my heavy Dragonspawn kits as well. I just used CA glue and they've been holding for months.

I use big 1/4" magnets too. All are recessed into the heads/arms/body so there's glue on all sides but one.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

spectralent posted:

I'm not sure if this is also the place for modelling queries, but who does little bits of brass for pinning and where can I give them my money?

Coming in super late on this, but I've actually found some surprisingly thin brass rods at my local Ace hardware. These were back by the sign section (which is a great place to get cheap plasticard, by the way). If you've got a decent local hardware place, might be a good idea to check them out.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Coming in super late on this, but I've actually found some surprisingly thin brass rods at my local Ace hardware. These were back by the sign section (which is a great place to get cheap plasticard, by the way). If you've got a decent local hardware place, might be a good idea to check them out.

I already ordered some cheapo brass paperclips :ohdear:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I'm looking to make some sections of a sacbe (roadways made of rubble coated with limestone stucco) for some bases, and I noticed that Vallejo's stucco-texture paint is just gesso. Would regular artist-brand gesso work for that too? My general plan is to make a rubble base with bits of cork, fill in the cracks a bit with some dirt texture, and then have a few parts with the stucco still intact on it. I've also considered taking some artistic liberties and using crackle paint to make the "stucco" texture a little more interesting. Any thoughts?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Avenging Dentist posted:

I'm looking to make some sections of a sacbe (roadways made of rubble coated with limestone stucco) for some bases, and I noticed that Vallejo's stucco-texture paint is just gesso. Would regular artist-brand gesso work for that too? My general plan is to make a rubble base with bits of cork, fill in the cracks a bit with some dirt texture, and then have a few parts with the stucco still intact on it. I've also considered taking some artistic liberties and using crackle paint to make the "stucco" texture a little more interesting. Any thoughts?

For stucco texture I usually use wood filler paste mixed with modelling sand.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Foolster41 posted:

yeah, I don't much care to keep the headless cows. Scissors actually works pretty well too.

Just 9 more to go

This makes me happy. Where did you get the cows?

Edit: You may also find this selection useful for adding some more post-apocalypse fun into the mix:
http://studio2publishing.com/collections/all-items/hell-on-earth-miniatures

Iris of Ether fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 14, 2015

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

El Estrago Bonito posted:

For stucco texture I usually use wood filler paste mixed with modelling sand.

Hm, I'll probably need some finer sand for that. I'm tempted to try mixing sand with gel medium now just to see how it works. (Also, I'm somewhat more likely to use a whole bottle of gel medium than of wood filler.)

e: Or I could just get one of the finer-grained Vallejo textures and spend my time on more fruitful pursuits.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 14, 2015

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Iris of Ether posted:

This makes me happy. Where did you get the cows?

Edit: You may also find this selection useful for adding some more post-apocalypse fun into the mix:
http://studio2publishing.com/collections/all-items/hell-on-earth-miniatures

:)

On amazon, doing a search for cows, I figured 1:64 was close to the scale I wanted and found this.

I'll have to keep that site in mind if I want something for Reavers/Raiders that I can't get with Reape (who I've been mainly keeping with for figures thus far, besides obv. the Brahmin).

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 14, 2015

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Below is a list of the best-loved paints from any range. This list is compiled from posts both here and on other forums (mainly CMON), plus a few recommendations from various painting videos. I broke it up by fairly-arbitrarily putting each one into a basic color, and within each color, they're sorted roughly from light to dark. A :h: indicates paints that lots of people love. If there are paints people think I missed, let me know (in the thread or via PM) and I'll add them.

Whites/Greys/Blacks
P3 Morrow White (93073): Pure white; very good coverage
:h: VMC Ivory (70.918): Non-chalky almost-white
:h: VMC Deck Tan (70.986): Good for highlights and mixing
Reaper Linen White (9061)
Reaper Ghost White (9063)
Reaper Snow Shadow (9021)
VMC Neutral Grey (70.992)
VMC German Grey (70.995): Near-black
Reaper Noir Black (9289): Near-black
P3 Thamar Black (93072): Pure black

Browns
VMC Pale Sand (70.837): Useful for skin highlights, eyes, teeth
VMC Iraqui [sic] Sand (70.819)
P3 Rucksack Tan (93062)
VMC Brown Sand (70.876)
VMA Armor Brown (71.041)
P3 Bloodstone (93029)
Reaper Woodstain Brown (9160)
Reaper Walnut Brown (9136)
:h: VMC German Camo Black-Brown (70.822): Very dark neutral brown, good for shading
VMC Hull Red (70.985)
Reaper Brown Liner (9064)

Reds
VMC Carmine Red (70.908): Bright, warm red
VMC Red #33 (70.926): Fairly bright, cool red (just a bit darker than VMC Carmine Red)
VMA Ferrari Red (71.085)
Reaper Old West Rose (9283): Good mixer for shading skin
VGA Bloody Red (72.710)
Reaper Bloodstain Red (9133)
VMC Black Red (70.859)

Oranges
Reaper Amber Gold (9032)
P3 Ember Orange (93023): Good for shading sand

Yellows
Reaper Golden Blonde (9033)
P3 Cygnus Yellow (93025): Non-chalky bright yellow
VMA Golden Yellow (71.078)
VGC Scrofulous Brown (72.038): Good undercoat for painting yellow on top of

Greens
VGC Scurvy Green (72.027)

Cyans
Reaper Marine Teal (9077)
Reaper Surf Aqua (9078)
Reaper Seafoam Blue (9195)
:h: P3 Coal Black (93046)
Citadel Incubi Darkness

Blues
VMC Dark Prussian Blue (70.899)

Purples
Reaper Violet Red (9026)
Reaper Pale Violet (9027)
VMC Violet Red (70.812)
VMC Blue Violet (70.811)

Flesh Tones
Reaper Tanned Skin Triad (9043-5)
Reaper Dark Elf Triad (9163-5)

Metallics
:h: VMA Silvers (71.062-5)
Reaper True Silver (9207)
Reaper Aged Pewter (9196)
P3 Pig Iron (93074)
Vallejo Metal Color (77.xxx): Water-based metallics generally considered among the best Vallejo metallics
:h: Scale75 Metal & Alchemy (SSE-009, SSE-010, SSE-021): Much finer mica flakes (the shiny stuff) than other brands

Washes/Transparent
VMC Transparent Yellow (70.937): Good for saturating yellows
Citadel Casandora Yellow: Good for saturating yellows
:h: Tamiya Clear Red (X-27): Great for blood effects
Citadel Drankenhof Nightshade: Good for shading bluish whites
Citadel Agrax Earthshade: Good dark-brown wash
Scale75 Inktense Chestnut: A less glossy version of GW's old Chestnut ink
Army Painter Strong Tone Ink: Good dark-brown wash (very close to Agrax Earthshade)
Army Painter Dark Tone Ink: Good black wash
:h: VMC Smoke (70.939)
:h: P3 Armor Wash (93012): Bluish-black wash

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 22, 2018

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Foolster41 posted:

:)

On amazon, doing a search for cows, I figured 1:64 was close to the scale I wanted and found this.

I'll have to keep that site in mind if I want something for Reavers/Raiders that I can't get with Reape (who I've been mainly keeping with for figures thus far, besides obv. the Brahmin).

There's also Brother Vinni but you might not want to give him money depending on your views of his non-Fallout minis.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Avenging Dentist posted:

For what it's worth, here's the compiled list of paints that people really like, both here and on other forums (mainly CMON).

I've used almost all of those, and they're all great. That's a great list.

Since I made the recomondation, I'll say I use the Old West Rose almost exclusively as a mixer for shading skin.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

There's also Brother Vinni but you might not want to give him money depending on your views of his non-Fallout minis.

He does cheesecake/nude women doesn't he?
yep.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Foolster41 posted:

yep.

I went to his site, clicked on the "Girls" category, and for a moment thought, "that's not too bad, he just did 4 cheesecake models". But then I realized those were 4 categories. It always makes me wonder why no one really does naked dude minis.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Avenging Dentist posted:

For what it's worth, here's the compiled list of paints that people really like, both here and on other forums (mainly CMON).

I broke up the list by fairly-arbitrarily putting each one into a basic color, and within each color, they're sorted roughly from light to dark. A :h: indicates paints that lots of people love. If there's stuff people think I missed, let me know and I'll add it.

Add RMS Noir Black, VMC German Grey to blacks, these are awesome for highlighting pure black (or being shaded with pure black if you prefer)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Avenging Dentist posted:

This is awesome, and a good start to my paint shopping list. I've added the link to your post in the OP, if you don't mind keeping it updated. If not, I'll copy/paste the post into the OP and maintain it.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Avenging Dentist posted:

I'd be careful with paperclips. If they're steel, you'll need heavy-duty wire cutters unless you like ruining your hobby cutters. Aluminum paper clips should be fine, although I think they're weaker than brass. The other nice thing about brass rod is that it's perfectly round and smooth, so it's also useful for replacing particularly narrow staffs/banner poles. Plus, K&S's 1/16" brass tubing fits perfectly around their 1/32" brass rod, so it's easy to make a detachable banner pole with it.

Just use a regular cheap set of needlenose pliers with an inbuilt cutting edge. I've been using one for 10 years, the edge is ruined, but it will still cut paperclips. Also :science: brass is harder than steel! I personally wouldn't use hobby cutters for anything apart from plastic or putty.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Avenging Dentist posted:

Hm, I'll probably need some finer sand for that. I'm tempted to try mixing sand with gel medium now just to see how it works. (Also, I'm somewhat more likely to use a whole bottle of gel medium than of wood filler.)

e: Or I could just get one of the finer-grained Vallejo textures and spend my time on more fruitful pursuits.

There's artists acrylic textured medium that would fit your requirements and be cheaper than buying Vallejo?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Foolster41 posted:

Just 9 more to go

For variety's sake and to make it more natural, I recommend cutting both heads off so that you can get more symmetry. Makes it look like a two-headed mutant cow rather than a head was glued onto the side. Some could have no necks, awkwardly positioned at an angle (no disrespect to those sisters that are conjoined at the neck, but note how the orientation of the heads are altered to accommodate each other).

HJE-Cobra posted:

*sad trombone sound*

I can hear a bean counter at GW having an aneurysm. "What are they doing at Reaper, do they not realize that they're devaluing their IP!"

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

krushgroove posted:

This is awesome, and a good start to my paint shopping list. I've added the link to your post in the OP, if you don't mind keeping it updated. If not, I'll copy/paste the post into the OP and maintain it.

Cool, thanks! I'll happily keep it updated! At some point I might pull it out into a little webpage so I can add filters and such, but for the time being, I'll probably just update the post.

Z the IVth posted:

Also :science: brass is harder than steel! I personally wouldn't use hobby cutters for anything apart from plastic or putty.

Really? I guess cheap steel alloys might be softer, but spring steel has about twice the yield strength of brass. Personally, I use heavy wire snips for all metal (including pewter), but I know plenty of people who have no issues with using hobby cutters on brass or pewter.

Z the IVth posted:

There's artists acrylic textured medium that would fit your requirements and be cheaper than buying Vallejo?

That's true, although the price difference seems to be pretty small in this case, and Vallejo has a wider variety of textures. I figure, if I ever want to go really crazy, I can buy some gel medium and mix it with sand of various sizes.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

ok i got some money i wasnt expecting and ive decided to upgrade my paint collection. i paint mostly reaper bones and i'm not very good. is there a specific paint brand i should look into? thanks

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cat Face Joe posted:

ok i got some money i wasnt expecting and ive decided to upgrade my paint collection. i paint mostly reaper bones and i'm not very good. is there a specific paint brand i should look into? thanks

Reaper Master Series, Army Painter, Vallejo Game Color/Model Color, Privateer Press P3. There's also Citadel but they're worse, more expensive and GW is a lovely company you shouldn't support.
Those are roughly in order from most to least subjectively recommended. RMS are awesome but want a few hours of drying before you can safely wash them, Vallejo Model Color have a realistic military oriented palette and look prettier than Game Color but easier to rub off (as are RMS; you should get some varnish anyway), P3 are in pots which are IMO less convenient but YMMV, P3 are very good but their metallics are crap. Army Painter are solid basic gamer palette for beginners. These all mix with each other so mix and match to taste (do not actually taste paint) unless you find a complete set you want at a major bargain.

Definitely grab Army Painter shading washes (Soft/Strong/Dark tone, you want those in bottles and not tin cans, very different). And some Vallejo Glaze Medium, add a drop to the paint mix for highlighting, you'll thank me later ;)

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 14, 2015

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Cat Face Joe posted:

What Pierzak said, plus do not get seduced by the size of Minitaire's bottles.

Personally I prefer airbrush paints but only because thinning is simpler

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Cat Face Joe posted:

There's the "favorite paints" list I compiled for just this purpose: giving people who want to branch out and try new paints a good jumping off point for the various ranges. Thankfully, it seems that most of the ranges are pretty good these days (though I have seen a fair number of complaints about VGC specifically).

Pierzak posted:

Reaper Master Series, Army Painter, Vallejo Game Color/Model Color, Privateer Press P3. There's also Citadel but they're worse, more expensive and GW is a lovely company you shouldn't support.

Citadel's metallics are still good as far as I can tell (and people seem to like their pre-made washes a lot), and they have the benefit of being in pretty much every store. If that helps you pick out the paints you need, then go for it. Also, I haven't had a chance to try any of them, but people have been singing the praises of Scale75, especially for metallics.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Avenging Dentist posted:

Really? I guess cheap steel alloys might be softer, but spring steel has about twice the yield strength of brass. Personally, I use heavy wire snips for all metal (including pewter), but I know plenty of people who have no issues with using hobby cutters on brass or pewter.

Actually, don't quote me on that. I think I might have mixed it up with iron. I remember a history post which said that bronze was harder to work than iron. My bad.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Avenging Dentist posted:

I went to his site, clicked on the "Girls" category, and for a moment thought, "that's not too bad, he just did 4 cheesecake models". But then I realized those were 4 categories. It always makes me wonder why no one really does naked dude minis.

Don't you know straight dudebros don't want to see that, and girls don't buy miniatures games. (Hmm, I wonder why...)

Post 9-11 User posted:

For variety's sake and to make it more natural, I recommend cutting both heads off so that you can get more symmetry. Makes it look like a two-headed mutant cow rather than a head was glued onto the side. Some could have no necks, awkwardly positioned at an angle (no disrespect to those sisters that are conjoined at the neck, but note how the orientation of the heads are altered to accommodate each other).

I was considering that but it's going to be a pain to clean up the spot where the head was (since it'd be a bit white spot), and since the line of the next extends down at an angle to between the legs i wouldn't be able to make it match up right and would look dumb. I do plan on putting the head on the opposite side of some. Also, I'm going to do some filling with green stuff and my best at a little painting (hopefully I can find/mix a close match so I don't have to repaint the whole drat cow).

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
For metallics the best I've used are Vallejo Liquid Gold paints. These are alcohol based, but are the poo poo.

Rock on dude

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Is there a specific thing wrong with VGC, or are they just not preferred? 'cause I just bought a shitload of them last week.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Foolster41 posted:

yep.

One of those nude slave girls is also apparently based on the former Prime Minister of the Ukraine. Also the masturbating nun.

Basically what I'm saying is that his nudie minis go a bit further than somewhere like Shadowforge and many people here have voiced opinions about not wanting to give him money based on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

One of those nude slave girls is also apparently based on the former Prime Minister of the Ukraine. Also the masturbating nun.

Basically what I'm saying is that his nudie minis go a bit further than somewhere like Shadowforge and many people here have voiced opinions about not wanting to give him money based on this.

Ah, so it's even worse than I thought. I had just checked the site and saw a few nudes and figured that's all I needed to know. Yikes.