Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Update #26

Stage 3-2 - The Masked Man's Riddle
KMS 3-2

Moveset used:

Moveset used in KMS video:
Square slots:
Jab, Straight, Short Uppercut, Chin Music

Face buttons:
Reverse Hell Kick, High Cross Kick, Step Back Kick, Spinning Backfist, Forearm Smash 1

Map

Face Runner

mkob fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I dedicate this post to this immortal pair of Youtube comments:

"why is he fighting a gorrila in a wrestling out fit and also did u punch the gorrila in theballs"

"There is no reason. Don't think too hard about it. Thinking ruins the game."

Misspellings and typos intentionally left in.

Also goodbye Iwata :(

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

That fight was bananas!

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
My favorite thing about the QTE when he grabs you is that you can just mash all four face buttons at the same time and win it.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
He was a Gorilla in a Bigger Gorilla Suit the entire time :aaa:

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Does stomping ever really come in handy? The enemies seem to roll away two attacks in if that, and you're locked in the animation (at least I never managed to dodge cancel, but maybe it was just too hard for me) for an attack with little damage, compared to the juggling potential of the charged kick.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Nope. It's fun to use if you're playing on Easy or are stuck on level 1 to 2 difficulty level but it's complete crap on level 3 and DIE. You're not invincible during the animation, cancelling it is awkward, the attack barely does any damage and yeah, enemies will constantly dodge it. The only proper two ways to use stomp efficiently is against a stunned enemies or with the god hand active, but really it's not worth the damage.

e: I forget if I showed what the JP guidebook says about Stomp. You deal 5 points of damage per button presses/hits:

mkob fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 13, 2015

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

mkob posted:

Nope. It's fun to use if you're playing on Easy or are stuck on level 1 to 2 difficulty level but it's complete crap on level 3 and DIE. You're not invincible during the animation, cancelling it is awkward, the attack barely does any damage and yeah, enemies will constantly dodge it. The only proper two ways to use stomp efficiently is against a stunned enemies or with the god hand active, but really it's not worth the damage.
...and yet you do it anyway. :allears:

X_countryguy
Dec 31, 2007

Whatscha holdup, Tron? If you don't hurry up there's not gonna be any pizza left!
So it was a demon, dressed as a human, dressed as a gorilla, dressed as a wrestler.

Tropic Thunder memes abound.

We haven't gotten to that point yet but I get some serious fatigue playing this game. There are a ton of stages and I feel like a lot of the better gimmicks and wrinkles are used earlier on.

Given how this game's difficulty is made to look like a bunch of chumps I am not worried about this LP going stale, though.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Stomp always struck me as a newbie trap, to be honest.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Concordat posted:

Stomp always struck me as a newbie trap, to be honest.

Stomp and Pummel are fun because you can artificially extend a God Hand usage by timing it so you start the attack just as it's about to run out.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
God drat I love Gene's idle animations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wheany posted:

God drat I love Gene's idle animations.

That sway is too powerful.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Did I see right that you couldn't ckeck the zipper out in the KMS video because the gorilla ended up lying on his back?

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
The game is goofy as hell, but seeing the line about discovering a zipper on Gorilla Mask was the first thing to actually make me chuckle. I also like how this fight comes out of nowhere, "story"-wise.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

And on a bus, to boot.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
We will see that bus again.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
If you like that bus there's a cool comic just called The Bus. It makes about as much sense as this scene and is also as entertaining.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Many this game really monkeys around a lot.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
The dialog is what sold me this game, honestly

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Update #27

Stage 3-3 Shannon's Dance School
KMS 3-3

Moveset used:

Moveset used in KMS video:
Square slots:
Jab, Straight, Short Uppercut, ????

Face buttons:
Step Back Kick, Somersault, Charged Punch, Spinning Backfist, Forearm Smash

Map

RPG

Clown.avi

mkob fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 17, 2015

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That was beautiful. What's the bit at the end from?

Edit: Found it.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 17, 2015

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
Gene going all fist of the north star on the air will never get old to me.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Next level: Not so Funhouse.
Thanks game, I agree.:(
Sorry to be so down about it but that's the level where I stopped trying KMS run years ago, so I'm definitely looking forward to it later.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Given how much you've been doing terrible, amazing kinky things to this game I await the Mad Midget Five fight with completely terrified glee. :magical:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Stinger on the clown dude not going "honkhonkhonkhonkhonkhonkhonkhonkhonk" is a wasted opportunity, imo.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
I'm rather curious if you're going to complete the entire game without giving up a single hit for the main run.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Seiren posted:

I'm rather curious if you're going to complete the entire game without giving up a single hit for the main run.

Unless something REAAAALLY funny happens - like the Demon-flying-through-the-wall-incident which messed up the poke of God run - I hope so.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
For whatever reason, the thing that caught my attention most in that video (well, of the actual gameplay footage) was Kob dodging the stache door even when godhand was on.

Does it interrupt you on hit even with Godhand on, or just good habits die hard?

Feinne posted:

He's Alexander the Great do you expect him to half-rear end things just because he's technically invincible?

Yeah, I figured it might be something like that :shobon:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 18, 2015

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
He's Alexander the Great do you expect him to half-rear end things just because he's technically invincible?

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Seiren posted:

Getting hit by what? :v:

Section Z posted:

For whatever reason, the thing that caught my attention most in that video (well, of the actual gameplay footage) was Kob dodging the stache door even when godhand was on.

Does it interrupt you on hit even with Godhand on, or just good habits die hard?

Nah this had nothing to do with dodging the mustache door, having the god hand active makes you invincible to everything (except when the game decides otherwise and has a brain fart.)

I forget if I mentioned this in a previous update but basically, the tension meter (god hand meter) stops/slowdowns whenever you charge an attack, so by chaining charges, you stay in god hand mode longer. No idea how that works, it just does, and it always felt more like a glitch than an actual gameplay mechanic to me.

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com
Looking forward to seeing what you do with the Mad Midget 5 fight. Probably my 2nd favorite boss battle in God Hand.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The tall silver-and-black outfit guys... Are they any different from normal elite troops?

Also: That outfit so looks like a Macho Man Randy Savage outfit.

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax
I like that they went as far as to have the clown's nose also fling off in accordance with its head. That's such a goofy small detail.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

rotinaj posted:

The tall silver-and-black outfit guys... Are they any different from normal elite troops?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uf8jHeTbXU&t=4m19s at 4m19s

Same pattern as every other elite guys except they jump and lunge a whole lot and have an additional hit in one of their combo.

Das_Ubermike posted:

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the Mad Midget 5 fight. Probably my 2nd favorite boss battle in God Hand.

Your second favorite boss fight? I thought everyone hated these little shits since they're so annoying.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
The more you look at this. The more apparent this is the Dark Souls of beat'em ups :suicide:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Dark Souls is the God Hand of exploration ARPGs :colbert:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

mkob posted:

Your second favorite boss fight? I thought everyone hated these little shits since they're so annoying.

I thought they were okay and I used the Rocky Balboa technique to get through this game... Or did you mean annoying outside of "difficulty" :downs:

In which case you're smashing their faces in right there, instant relief.

Also unrelated, I can't wait until Tiger Joe like... twice as many levels from now? He was my favorite not a "Boss" enemy and aside from liking his music and something about 'let's fight a fancy elite, no tricks' was satisfying to my mediocre self when I got through them.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 18, 2015

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Zain posted:

The more you look at this. The more apparent this is the Dark Souls of beat'em ups :suicide:

I don't see any connection at all. I guess both of them are throwback to NES games that didn't get quite get out of the arcade mentality of the 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

notZaar posted:

I don't see any connection at all. I guess both of them are throwback to NES games that didn't get quite get out of the arcade mentality of the 80s.

"The Dark Souls of..." seems to be a quote used for games that are somewhat difficult in their genre/series/whatever. Except beat-em-ups have always been tough just they had the Extra Life bs instead of health so if you had quarters to spend or the console version of one you could go face first into it instead of learning how to play the game, so God Hand is even less like Dark Souls then those are.:doh:

• Locked thread