Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Looke posted:

but spoons is good?

Not if you work there!

(source: me, 19 years ago)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

i just made chocolate brownies, and a double IPA, at the same time

they both finish at nearly the same time too

You can brew beer in a day?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

well no but the actual effort is in the boiling of the wort

i've done my bit, now it's time for the yeast to gently caress in it

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
But did you make IPA brownies?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Looke posted:

but spoons is good?

no

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Furia posted:

But did you make IPA brownies?

no. why would you think that? i didn't say that i did, and a moment's thought would indicate that it's not a concept that works

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How much do you drink djf to get through all this beer

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

well no but the actual effort is in the boiling of the wort

i've done my bit, now it's time for the yeast to gently caress in it

drat if it was possible to brew something within a day I'd be brewing every day

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

You can brew everyday if you have enough containers/space for it. Each brew will take a couple of weeks though.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

my beer tends to get consumed socially

i assume you're all mostly social drinkers? or is that an unwise assumption

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've started roasting some sweet potatoes to mash them and just realised I don't have anything to mash them with

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

rolling pin? or just gently caress them up with a fork

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'll use a fork and I've ordered a potato ricer

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

is that someone who puts big spoiler fins and massive exhaust pipes on your potatoes

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

If by "social drinker" you mean "alone on a couch when no one else is around" then yes

edit: preferably to the point of tumbling and crashing into walls

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Idk how long it lasts unless you're also bottling it

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

is that someone who puts big spoiler fins and massive exhaust pipes on your potatoes

:gerty:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Jose posted:

Idk how long it lasts unless you're also bottling it

i am bottling it; in bottles it's usually good for six months apparently

i normally get about 60 bottles, ish, out of a 5 gallon batch, but the last one i hosed up by putting in loose dryhops so i had to leave about a gallon to prevent getting gunk in the bottles

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i assume you're all mostly social
i believe i have spotted the flaw in your reasoning

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i am bottling it; in bottles it's usually good for six months apparently

i normally get about 60 bottles, ish, out of a 5 gallon batch, but the last one i hosed up by putting in loose dryhops so i had to leave about a gallon to prevent getting gunk in the bottles

Post your setup I want to know how much space it takes

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Sunday spoons sesh is done

Corn why are you brewing ipas instead of stout, god's own drink?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Stout is bad. Brew sour golden ales

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
You're bad, oval office

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

just fyi asking people to post brewing details in highly triggering to fluos gjost

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

not to mention fIuo

sour is easy, the ahrdest part is probably getting the drat sour yeast through the post without it dying. stout is hard, because it's generally high abv and you want your yeast to not die in its own boozeshit

my setup is one (1) of these and a big glass carboy, but if i had the choice i'd go with two of these and a bottling bucket instead as the carboy's just a bit of a pain to move and clean tbh. i also have a 15l pot in which to boil the wort, various tubes etc, none of which takes much space

in terms of space i have two drawers in a small chest of drawers full of (full) bottles + bits of equipment, and half a wardrobe full of an active fermenter and the pans, sieve, other bucket etc. i bought a bunch of poo poo i didn't need so if you want i can put together a list of absolutely everything you'd actually want and would end up using, if you didn't want to buy a brew kit. i would advise buying a brew kit though, see how you like it

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Just burnt my tongue on a loving pizza! This Sunday is poo poo

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Sunday spoons sesh is done

Corn why are you brewing ipas instead of stout, god's own drink?

???

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

he means my nickname, CORN JACKET FETISH

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Bobby Deluxe posted:

just fyi asking people to post brewing details in highly triggering to fluos gjost

Poor fluo, getting everyone in this thread into home brew was all he ever wanted and he didn't live to see this day :(

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

not to mention fIuo

sour is easy, the ahrdest part is probably getting the drat sour yeast through the post without it dying. stout is hard, because it's generally high abv and you want your yeast to not die in its own boozeshit

my setup is one (1) of these and a big glass carboy, but if i had the choice i'd go with two of these and a bottling bucket instead as the carboy's just a bit of a pain to move and clean tbh. i also have a 15l pot in which to boil the wort, various tubes etc, none of which takes much space

in terms of space i have two drawers in a small chest of drawers full of (full) bottles + bits of equipment, and half a wardrobe full of an active fermenter and the pans, sieve, other bucket etc. i bought a bunch of poo poo i didn't need so if you want i can put together a list of absolutely everything you'd actually want and would end up using, if you didn't want to buy a brew kit. i would advise buying a brew kit though, see how you like it

i would and i might do that. i've also been advised in another thread to just get a still and make my own alcohol if i want to make it as calorie free as possible lol

i have finished mashing my sweet potato and roasted garlic and now its back in the oven until my brisket has finished braising

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
So if I want in on this brewing racket how do I get in on it? At some point somebody posted like a starter brewing kit for ale but I am interested in IPAs and stuff so I am not sure buying a kit would be a good start

Also can I brew stuff based on milkjugs Y/N

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

If you want easy mode make cider. Take apple juice, add yeast, no boiling and poo poo or hops needed, yeast technically optional.

Edit: yeah I wouldn't recommend baking yeast either unless v v poor, I usually use champagne.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 7, 2017

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

i have made cider before by putting bread yeast in a 2L bottle of apple juice. i wouldnt recommend it.

if you want to get into it i wouldn't recommend doing all grain (at least not straight away), cos its an unnecessary headache and you need to buy way more equipment than you do for a normal extract+speciality grain brew.

i got into it by buying a beginner's kit but obviously if you're not satisfied with the results of the kit you can reuse the equipment to make fancier ales etc. fwiw my setup is a 10L stockpot (new purchase, used to use 2x 5L stock pots and split everything in half), 30L fermentation bucket, hydrometer, sanitiser, bottle wand and 30x 750ml plastic bottles.

from there just look at extract recipes like this one: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/victory-and-chaos-ipa/

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's not so much easy mode as much as it is cheap mode so I'll just put it on hold for now I guess

Deffo bookmarking post until then

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i'm basically gonna shill brewuk.co.uk because i've used them and they're good, and cheaper than amazon

ipa kits exist but the one i'm seeing seems to literally be "add boiling water to hopped syrup, top up with cold water" - like i don't see that failing but it's not really brewing, it's steeping a teabag. the good thing about this kit is that you get the beer ingredients, a storage barrel, a big fuckoff fermenting bin + airlock (possibly too big?), some steriliser, a hydrometer + thermometer, and some misc handy bits of plastic. it would be a decent start to see if you get workable booze out of it, and if you want to progress then, as per YTC's post above, you can use it as a basis for upgrading your kit

assuming you want to be a retard like me and buy all the kit all at once, you want:

• two of these buckets with lids and airlocks; one to ferment in, and one to move your beer into for bottling once fermentation is over
  • a rubber hose for getting beer out of your bucket and for beating the poo poo out of dogs
  • a big pot; larger the better, really, but 15l is very workable.
  • big spoon, for stirring pot
  • starsan; this poo poo is magic. 5ml goes in 5 litres of water and will sterilise whatever it touches; the diluted form is good for ages, and is also food-safe and tasteless. if used correctly it will last for ages; i, being a retard, get through this like water.
  • a big sieve
  • a floaty thermometer
  • two slap-on therms for your fermenters
  • two hydrometers; one as a spare. this is essential, as you measure fermentation progress by taking samples and checking density. if you bottle stuff that's still fermenting you have possibly created bombs
  • turkey baster for taking samples to put the hydrometer in
  • bottles and caps; buy caps, re-use bottles
  • a bottle filling stick; this attaches to the other end of your hose
  • bottle capper
  • muslin bags for holding grains for steeping

imo, dedicated cleaner is not needed; just use soap and water and rinse.

start with extract brews, get the plan down; you need hops, malt extract, grains for steeping, and yeast. i have not had any issues buying live yeast but it's very possible that you might; maybe stick to dry yeast to start. you will need normal table sugar for carbing the beer when you bottle.

i would advise starting with a simple pale ale that's about 5%, as per the above post. they're hoppy, meaning they're a bit more forgiving of any accidental bacterial contamination, and they use non-insane amounts of pale malt, which means the yeast won't choke and die and fail to ferment everything. yeast doesn't really like complex sugars and you get more of those in dark malts

i will not do a full recipe but the broad strokes are:

• start heating ~5l water in pan. boil kettle
  • sterilise your fermenting bucket and work surfaces while you wait.
  • once you have 2/3rds of a pan at 75C, add your steeping grains. steep for half an hour; your water is now wort
  • remove grains. heat to 100C either by adding boiling water or by waiting
  • add malt extract. add your 60mins hops; start timing
  • add extra hops when you're meant to
  • turn off the heat after 1hr. everything that touches the beer after this point must be sterile. everything.
  • you are supposed to cool your wort by running a wort chiller through it. i simply seal everything up and leave it overnight
  • once beer is at right temperature, take initial hydrometer sample and record the density. put yeast in it, attach airlock
  • wait 8hrs; realise yeast is going mental.
  • wait 3 days for bubbling to die down; take hydrometer sample
  • take hydrometer samples every couple days until the density levels off, probably at about 1.013 for the above recipe but if it's not that level who cares
  • when beer has stopped fermenting, prepare to rack it off the yeast into another bucket. work out how much sugar you need to carb it, boil up that much sugar, add to the bucket you're racking into, then put the beer on top of the sugar solution
  • place in bottles

after your first try you'll realise what else you need to make life easier for yourself. then do brew-in-a-bag all-grain recipes once you've got the hang of things

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 6, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i'm going to quote that on the first page so i can come back to it easily

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

after your first try you'll realise what else you need to make life easier for yourself.
yeah definitely this. get an easy brew under your belt to get a feel of what needs to be done and start honing your craft from there.

edit: by "honing" I mean "sperging"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

right above a fluopost...

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
That post was the good poo poo right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furia
Jul 26, 2015