Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Zero VGS posted:

Spiceworks and Azure AD to inventory, PDQ Deploy to dump a Group Policy folder into everyone's C$, like a dozen flash drives to concurrently clone more workstations, BitLocker by hand, toss everyone's Desktop/Documents/Downloads folders into their OneDrive For Business sync folder as a comprehensive backup plan, buy the same one model of laptop in batches over eBay, and Excel sheets. I'm kinda infamous in the IT threads for being out of my mind, but it's not so bad actually.

Frankly that's sounding pretty efficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Honestly it beats buying CALs for every device that pulls an address via DHCP from your Windows server.

quote:

Q2 - If I have guests that come into my office an temporarily use a Windows DHCP server to grab an IP address to access the Internet, do they need CALs? I guess the takeaway is to never use a Windows DHCP server?

A2 - Yes, they are using a Windows Server service and would need a CAL.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I'm still on the insider program running build 10565 however when I try to install the 586 build it always fails and restores 'previous' build. Anyone else had problems with this as an insider?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So are there problems with Intel Graphics Drivers and Windows 10? Got a Yoga 2 Pro with an Intel onboard video card, and it's been having issues in the months following the Win10 upgrade. It could very well be that my video card has elected to die after JUST passing the laptop's warranty date, but I've also heard some rumblings that Lenovo wasn't really trying to hard to cover all their bases, update-wise, in terms of prepping for Windows 10.

Thought I'd just go ahead and ask before I consider putting money down for potential repairs or a new laptop.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For what it's worth I've got the same laptop and haven't had any video problems that I can think of.

Diovanti
Aug 19, 2003
no afterlife
I have a laptop with 2 hard drives. It's currently running Windows 7. I'm getting a message offering a free upgrade to Windows 10. Can I install that Windows 10 to the second hard drive, keeping my Windows 7 install intact? If so, will this still be considered to be properly licensed by Microsoft?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Diovanti posted:

I have a laptop with 2 hard drives. It's currently running Windows 7. I'm getting a message offering a free upgrade to Windows 10. Can I install that Windows 10 to the second hard drive, keeping my Windows 7 install intact? If so, will this still be considered to be properly licensed by Microsoft?

It's going to upgrade it onto the one with your current partition, and turn your Windows 7 "windows" folder onto a "windows.old" folder so you can revert or dig anything up.

You can of course wipe the second drive and use something like Macrium Free to clone the first drive over, verify it boots, then upgrade that. That's a sound way to go about things. And yes, that would be properly licensed as long as you only boot from one drive at a time on that one PC.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Shinjobi posted:

So are there problems with Intel Graphics Drivers and Windows 10? Got a Yoga 2 Pro with an Intel onboard video card, and it's been having issues in the months following the Win10 upgrade. It could very well be that my video card has elected to die after JUST passing the laptop's warranty date, but I've also heard some rumblings that Lenovo wasn't really trying to hard to cover all their bases, update-wise, in terms of prepping for Windows 10.

Thought I'd just go ahead and ask before I consider putting money down for potential repairs or a new laptop.

I just got a report of this happening to another Yoga Pro 2. I'm nearly sure it is the Intel video drivers but I haven't got my hands on it to check yet.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

redeyes posted:

I just got a report of this happening to another Yoga Pro 2. I'm nearly sure it is the Intel video drivers but I haven't got my hands on it to check yet.

I'm seeing a lot of complaints about the Intel HD graphics drivers. I had to turn off hardware accelleration in firefox to stop the constant crashing, this is on a Clevo N150SD laptop with Intel 530 graphics and nVidia Optimus, but firefox is using the Intel.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is there a trick to getting Windows 10 to record? I've been trying to record gameplay of Fallout 4 via Steam, and it doesn't seem to want to record. It'll let me bring up the game bar, hit record, but after 10 seconds it says "there's nothing here, try playing so more" or something like that.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lum posted:

I'm seeing a lot of complaints about the Intel HD graphics drivers. I had to turn off hardware accelleration in firefox to stop the constant crashing, this is on a Clevo N150SD laptop with Intel 530 graphics and nVidia Optimus, but firefox is using the Intel.

Does anything else cause the drivers to crash?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lum posted:

Do you have pets? What do the intake/output vents look like. A lot of laptops die heat deaths due to pet/human hair or sometimes just dust.

Often a can of compressed air will solve a lot of problems with laptop stability problems.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just noticed my Win 10 Pro says Not Activated in the old control panel under system and Activated under the new Settings panel.. wtf?!
Running the command line checker slmgr said I am permanently activated.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Is there any workaround to Windows injecting extra JPEG artifacts into .jpg desktop images? How long have they been doing that? I swear I don't remember it happening in 7 at least. Only solution I could find was to convert the files to .png first.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

1511 is now available for the MCT again but was taken down previously thanks to an extremely minor bug that only hit a few people.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-restores-windows-10-november-update-media-explains-why-it-was-pulled

quote:

n what has been a confusing couples of days, Microsoft first pulled the November Update from the Media Creation tool used to download ISOs last Saturday. According to a statement released by Microsoft, the company had planned to stagger the update over time and, as such, was prioritizing Windows Update as the vector for propagating the November Update.

In a statement issued today, however, the company has backtracked on those plans, instead chalking the whole fiasco up to a bug that affected the privacy settings of some users:

quote:

Recently we learned of an issue that could have impacted an extremely small number of people who had already installed Windows 10 and applied the November update. Once these customers installed the November update, a few of their settings preferences may have inadvertently not been retained. For these customers, we will restore their settings over the coming days and we apologize for the inconvenience. We worked to resolve the issue as quickly as possible - it will not impact future installs of the November update, which is available today.
Thus, it seems that the update is once again available via the Media Creation Tool. For those customers who downloaded the update files before the problem was discovered, Microsoft has promised to reset their settings in the coming days.

The bug in question related to the following four settings, which, if turned off by the user, were set to their default 'on' setting after applying the update:

-Let apps use my advertising ID
-Turn on SmartScreen Filter for web content
-Let apps run in the background
-Sync with devices

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I'm going to install windows 10 in a few hours. when it finishes, will it have all my non operating system files where they once were?

Like when it finally comes to the desktop, will all the files that were on my desktop be there?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

thechosenone posted:

I'm going to install windows 10 in a few hours. when it finishes, will it have all my non operating system files where they once were?

Like when it finally comes to the desktop, will all the files that were on my desktop be there?

Yes. It pretty much just rips up the Windows directory. Other folders should be untouched.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Ah. That is actually quite nice.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

ThermoPhysical posted:

1511 is now available for the MCT again but was taken down previously thanks to an extremely minor bug that only hit a few people.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-restores-windows-10-november-update-media-explains-why-it-was-pulled

The bug in question related to the following four settings, which, if turned off by the user, were set to their default 'on' setting after applying the update:

-Let apps use my advertising ID
-Turn on SmartScreen Filter for web content
-Let apps run in the background
-Sync with devices

Glad they resolved it so quickly but my sweet Jesus, why do they not just explain these things from the outset?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Glad they resolved it so quickly but my sweet Jesus, why do they not just explain these things from the outset?

I'm going to guess they initially didn't know how to fix the issue, so if they got pressed for time it'd fix fewer things, and they would only talk up what it did fix.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
It also related to privacy/legal compliance which is serious business in parts of the world not_America, so legal was almost certainly involved and probably told them to say as little as possible until things are sorted out.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Question is there a way to stop automatic updates (specifically reboots) on 10 Pro? I have obviously googled and gotten some varied responses and some claims that previous methods now don't work.

Basically thinking about updating my workstation to 10, but I run a lot of VMs on it, and I'd really like to avoid forced reboots as a result.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Do you have pets? What do the intake/output vents look like. A lot of laptops die heat deaths due to pet/human hair or sometimes just dust.

Often a can of compressed air will solve a lot of problems with laptop stability problems.

Yes, but the laptop has done it from new, which was less than a month ago.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Lawyers. Seriously.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

nobody who has their job the next day posted:

So hey, looks like we have a bug that affects regulatory compliance in an area that receives intense government and press scrutiny. We'll have a fix in a week, but I'm just gonna just whip up a blog post right now. Cool?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Subjunctive posted:

nobody who has their job the next day posted:
So hey, looks like we have a bug that affects regulatory compliance in an area that receives intense government and press scrutiny. We'll have a fix in a week, but I'm just gonna just whip up a blog post right now. Cool?
They could say "we found an issue with the build and have pulled it for the moment. When its fixed we'll detail the issue."

Their message on this was incredibly confusing for all involved.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I got 7 free from MSDNAA 5-6 years ago while studying Computer Science. A few years later, I lost my activation key, and by then the account I downloaded it on was deactivated. I ended up using the product key from my laptop so I could get updates and not be constantly told I was a victim of software counterfeiting. I want to upgrade my desktop to 10, but will that cause the laptop to be told that its key is invalid?

I promise this isn't about :filez:, just me failing to copy the .txt with the product key over to a different partition before the partition was wiped from a reinstall.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Is 7 activated on your laptop right now? If so, you can upgrade to 10 and be activated. With the (newly re-released) November update ISO , you can do a clean install using the same product key from your laptop and get an activated 10 installation.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I am currently running Windows 8.1 Pro, but I also have to Windows 7 Home Premium retail boxes sitting on my shelf.

Is there a way I can upgrade to Windows 10 Pro without burning my Windows 8 Pro license?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mcbexx posted:

I am currently running Windows 8.1 Pro, but I also have to Windows 7 Home Premium retail boxes sitting on my shelf.

Is there a way I can upgrade to Windows 10 Pro without burning my Windows 8 Pro license?

You never lose your 7 or 8 license. They'll still activate on a different computer while you're running 10. This is a no-no if you're doing this for a business but they don't care if you're just a common user.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Is 7 activated on your laptop right now? If so, you can upgrade to 10 and be activated. With the (newly re-released) November update ISO , you can do a clean install using the same product key from your laptop and get an activated 10 installation.

7 is activated on both my laptop and desktop. I thought I could only upgrade one install. I was going to go with my desktop because that's my primary computer that I do most of my gaming / studying / streaming on.

Sounds like Fishmech answered my question as well.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Walked posted:

Question is there a way to stop automatic updates (specifically reboots) on 10 Pro? I have obviously googled and gotten some varied responses and some claims that previous methods now don't work.

Basically thinking about updating my workstation to 10, but I run a lot of VMs on it, and I'd really like to avoid forced reboots as a result.

Disable the Update Orchestrator service. This will stop all updates, including Windows Defender definitions. You cannot disable automatic restarts without disabling all updates.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

dpbjinc posted:

Disable the Update Orchestrator service. This will stop all updates, including Windows Defender definitions. You cannot disable automatic restarts without disabling all updates.

See, this doesn't follow what I'm seeing elsewhere in that editing local group policy on Pro will also allow this (in theory).

I'm currently testing the local policy option, which in theory allows me to schedule the download, and to schedule the restart/installation. Paired with the Windows Update Show/Hide tool I should have the control I would like to have. VM testing it first though!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

For someone who shuts down his computer every night, like a sane person, does any of this stuff about Windows 10 rebooting at inopportune times even apply?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Geemer posted:

For someone who shuts down his computer every night, like a sane person, does any of this stuff about Windows 10 rebooting at inopportune times even apply?

Most PCs do scheduled updates at 3am, so if your computer isn't on then it will do them when you turn it on, then apply updates, then restart while you're using it. Most sane people who keep their computers on all of the time will have them reboot at 3:30 or whenever.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Is there a way to stop Win10 resizing my windows every time I turn my monitor off? I thought I fixed it but recently (possibly after the november update) it's started again; this time rather than moving all my windows into an 800x600 square in the corner it'll resize them seemingly at random. My browser ends up a quarter of the size, twitter client ends up twice the size and jumps above the taskbar like 50px, and my IM client jumps up but doesn't resize at all. It's bizzare.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
For what it's worth, with Windows 10 Pro, it's never restarted automatically so long as I had a torrent client running. It must interpret that as "being used".

Generic Monk posted:

Is there a way to stop Win10 resizing my windows every time I turn my monitor off? I thought I fixed it but recently (possibly after the november update) it's started again; this time rather than moving all my windows into an 800x600 square in the corner it'll resize them seemingly at random. My browser ends up a quarter of the size, twitter client ends up twice the size and jumps above the taskbar like 50px, and my IM client jumps up but doesn't resize at all. It's bizzare.

I had that problem. Here's what you do:
"Go into the Advanced Display Settings on the Display Settings screen.

Then choose Advanced sizing of text and other items.

Then set a custom scaling level - drag it to 100%."

You'll know it succeeded if the main display settings page says "A custom scale factor is set"

Now if you want a different scale factor, then set your custom scaling level to that.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Geemer posted:

For some reason when the last update downloaded in the background it cut off my wireless, when I was forced to reboot it started the update

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

fishmech posted:

For what it's worth, with Windows 10 Pro, it's never restarted automatically so long as I had a torrent client running. It must interpret that as "being used".

I had that problem. Here's what you do:
"Go into the Advanced Display Settings on the Display Settings screen.

Then choose Advanced sizing of text and other items.

Then set a custom scaling level - drag it to 100%."

You'll know it succeeded if the main display settings page says "A custom scale factor is set"

Now if you want a different scale factor, then set your custom scaling level to that.

This fixed it; thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Geemer posted:

For someone who shuts down his computer every night, like a sane crazy person, does any of this stuff about Windows 10 rebooting at inopportune times even apply?
Your uptime is laughable, I fixed the quote for you.