Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

I'm kind of at a loss to describe that.

What did you think of the solution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Spiritus Nox posted:

What did you think of the solution?

Most triumphant decision-to-do-homework ever invented.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Serious answer: I was reading the thread when everyone else watched E8, so there wasn't much surprise in it, but there's a fun irony in the crux of the problem being Kyon's forgetting to do something rather than Haruhi's forgetting to do something.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Radio Spiricom posted:

i dunno, i think it depends on what you enjoyed the show for. it has a lot going on so answers will vary wildly. although you'll see some consistency because as it's been mentioned what makes haruhi special is how experimental the show is while still maintaining a high level of popularity. evangelion, utena, and haruhi are probably the high watermarks in this regard.

fanservice is part of monogatari and part of why it's popular. but i think it's interesting that it's as popular as it is considering how unconventional the show is in terms of narrative and visuals. it's mostly people talking through their issues while walking around desolate art deco landscapes. it uses a lot of different animation and editing styles and techniques, cutting to interstitial blank frames, lots of on screen text, characters acknowledging the artifice of the show, things like that. i say give it a shot, at least bakemonogatari - you should be able to tell pretty quickly whether you'll enjoy it or not

How does one watch that series? Just watch it all in original production/release order? Utena, Eva, Haruhi are favorites of mine for those reasons so if there's something else along those lines I wanna check it out. I could certainly think of a few other series that tried to experiment a bit but I'd hesitate to say they're truly pushing boundaries in the same way. Like, ef had lots of cool visuals, the best episode was mostly just a blank white screen with occasional text, but in the end it was pretty straight anime melodrama... Samurai Flamenco did a lot of insane cool things, but it was didn't quite come together to form a coherent whole the same way those other shows you mention did. At least in my opinion.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

yeah in production/release order. bake -> nise -> neko -> season 2 -> hana -> tsuki. the new season starts in two weeks!! the whole story is also told out of chronological order so everything wont be resolved until they release the new season(s) and the movie (whenever it comes out.) unless you wanna read the lns of course

its been en vogue for a while now but i dunno how its popularity compares to like. peak haruhi or peak eva popularity. probably nowhere near. but i think it also lacks some of the broader base appeal that eva/haruhi generally have

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think the -gatari series just has too sexy of a reputation, as somebody who hasn't seen it yet.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I love Shinobu and he's definitely one of the most creative guys working in the medium today, but he is also unabashedly a strange dude and doesn't mind making really trashy stuff and giving it his all, like the myriad smaller projects he does every year in the lines of "middle schoolers eating food erotically". I respect that and he also works some of the most visually impressive anime today, but he will probably never be able to gain that same international appeal as Anno or Mamoda would.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

XboxPants posted:

How does one watch that series? Just watch it all in original production/release order? Utena, Eva, Haruhi are favorites of mine for those reasons so if there's something else along those lines I wanna check it out. I could certainly think of a few other series that tried to experiment a bit but I'd hesitate to say they're truly pushing boundaries in the same way. Like, ef had lots of cool visuals, the best episode was mostly just a blank white screen with occasional text, but in the end it was pretty straight anime melodrama... Samurai Flamenco did a lot of insane cool things, but it was didn't quite come together to form a coherent whole the same way those other shows you mention did. At least in my opinion.

what's ef?

and god did i hate samurai flamenco, everything after that episode 8 twist rubbed me the wrong way

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

ef is another shaft show. based off a fantasy eroge i think

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

shinbo works will never become quite the phenomenon that haruhi or evangelion are in the western anime fanbase, but you shouldn't underestimate their popularity. no matter how you rank it, the monogatari series is somewhere between the best selling and 4th best selling tv anime ever made. all the seasons put together reached a million copies sold in 2013

but yeah shinbo is a weird fucker, i looked up his oeuvre once and someone mentioned he wrote and directed a hentai about a girl who eats poop. also trash like dance in the vampire bund

Darley-Wilkinson
Jun 19, 2007

uuuuiiii
thinking about EE...

i've never been able to articulate this very well, but on top of being an amazing and harsh indictment of anime as vapid escapism, endless eight always sort of felt, to me, like a really affecting illustration of the insane cosmic miracle of chance. phiz anime thread guru Two Worlds made a good post about EE and quantum theory once that i totally can't seem to find right now, but maybe i can give an example that'll make sense- my single favorite moment in the entire arc is when kyon shakes out the bug box and one of the twigs lodges inside it. it's a completely banal non-event that would normally barely even be a blip on the radar, but when you see it as one possible variation from an infinite number (or 15532, close enough to make the point) of possibilities, it's something small and very, very precious. when i first saw it it was incredibly poignant to me in a way i still have trouble putting into words. like this feels pretty insipid as i'm fumblingly typing it out, but it seems to express the idea that everything down to the smallest event is miraculously plucked from an endless field of possible events and holds incredible value.

definitely thematically related to kyon having to choose the reality that means more to him by virtue of having shaped and touched his experience. like he expresses to haruhi in melancholy 6, they can't treat this choice as arbitrary- the reality that holds meaning for them is the one with the friends they've known and cared about

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

The way Haruhi has this list of things that are necessary to include in the SOS Brigade's summer reads to me as an indictment of the people who watch anime that also bleeds over into the people who produce it.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Found this while browsing the gifdump, now I'm feeling blue. :( I know it had to happen, but still. She doesn't know it's a magical sci-fi time shenanigans needle gun, to her it just looks like a gun. The person she probably loves most in the world just pulled a gun on her with a stone cold expression on his face. And this Yuki is completely innocent of any wrongdoing too, she doesn't even remember altering reality. It's kind of cool that the movie is able to get me to agree with its justification, but still leaves me feeling sick. Kyon's decision, and subsequent promise to Yuki, is made more meaningful because of it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Alternate Yuki gets a bum rap. Even aside from how poorly the movie goes for her, she gets sort of treated as a 'fake' Yuki, which isn't really true. She's exactly who Yuki Prime sees herself as being - Yuki Prime just tried to cheat her way into allowing herself to express that.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

Alternate Yuki gets a bum rap. Even aside from how poorly the movie goes for her, she gets sort of treated as a 'fake' Yuki, which isn't really true. She's exactly who Yuki Prime sees herself as being - Yuki Prime just tried to cheat her way into allowing herself to express that.

Yes, exactly. But I'm not sure if I want to call it cheating though. It's hard for me to call out her actions as being wrong in a moral or ethical way. I can't begrudge her doing what she did, especially since she was under so much stress from the sudden onset of emotion.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I didn't like the word 'cheat' either, since I agree that Yuki's actions were perfectly defensible, and might have been even if she had just altered Kyon's memories and taken away the escape program, but you know what I mean - that she became Alternate Yuki through Divine Fiat rather than through acclimating to and exploring her feelings.

...Although, one thing that has been bothering me - Yuki rewrote the world by commandeering Haruhi's power. Do the books ever go into how she was able to steal Haruhi's powers? Is that just a thing Yuki can do if she gets sufficiently bothered? Was Haruhi somehow more vulnerable in a way that allowed Yuki to do that?

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 21, 2015

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

This is from a few pages ago but was that needle actually going to kill altYuki? Because I wasn't getting that at all.

Well, wipe her from existence alongside the entire alternate timeline... It's a philosophical debate that people have been having for quite some time, but I'd come down on the side of "intentionally wiping someone's memory and personality to replace them with someone else" is basically killing them. It's literally Kyon drawing a gun on her and about the pull the trigger. Even if there's sci fi shenanigans about how the real Yuki is still alive, the trembling girl who can barely take the application paper back from him is gone for good. Just check out the dialog from before Asakura interrupts:

quote:

Kyon:
I guess that's it.
The other way's definitely better.
Having the world like this just doesn't feel right. I'm sorry, Nagato.
But I like the "you" you used to be more than the "you" you are now.
You look better without glasses anyway.

Yuki:
I don't know what you are saying.

Kyon:
Nagato.
You have to change yourself back, change everything back to the way it was.
I can help.
All you have to do is ask.
You didn't have to use all that amazing power you have to change the world like this.
I liked things better the way they were.

Adult Mikuru:
Kyon, it doesn't matter what you say.
This version of Miss Nagato doesn't have any power.
Look at her.
She is a normal girl.

Kyon:
Sorry.

That's cold, man. Cold.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Toph Bei Fong posted:

That's cold, man. Cold.

No argument there.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I never watched the new Yuki show from the recent season. Is it worth checking out?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

I know we posted the dump so I don't need to repost this, but it is just goddamn phenomenal.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Davincie posted:

shinbo works will never become quite the phenomenon that haruhi or evangelion are in the western anime fanbase, but you shouldn't underestimate their popularity. no matter how you rank it, the monogatari series is somewhere between the best selling and 4th best selling tv anime ever made. all the seasons put together reached a million copies sold in 2013

but yeah shinbo is a weird fucker, i looked up his oeuvre once and someone mentioned he wrote and directed a hentai about a girl who eats poop. also trash like dance in the vampire bund

It's popular enough that it gets it own traveling art show with Madoka, which is so sick.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Darley-Wilkinson posted:

thinking about EE...

i've never been able to articulate this very well, but on top of being an amazing and harsh indictment of anime as vapid escapism, endless eight always sort of felt, to me, like a really affecting illustration of the insane cosmic miracle of chance. phiz anime thread guru Two Worlds made a good post about EE and quantum theory once that i totally can't seem to find right now, but maybe i can give an example that'll make sense- my single favorite moment in the entire arc is when kyon shakes out the bug box and one of the twigs lodges inside it. it's a completely banal non-event that would normally barely even be a blip on the radar, but when you see it as one possible variation from an infinite number (or 15532, close enough to make the point) of possibilities, it's something small and very, very precious. when i first saw it it was incredibly poignant to me in a way i still have trouble putting into words. like this feels pretty insipid as i'm fumblingly typing it out, but it seems to express the idea that everything down to the smallest event is miraculously plucked from an endless field of possible events and holds incredible value.

definitely thematically related to kyon having to choose the reality that means more to him by virtue of having shaped and touched his experience. like he expresses to haruhi in melancholy 6, they can't treat this choice as arbitrary- the reality that holds meaning for them is the one with the friends they've known and cared about

That twig moment is a cool example because I can't even remember it specifically even though I've seen EE 4 times and gravitated towards my own favorite tiny moments. The density of tiny moments is incredibly

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I never watched the new Yuki show from the recent season. Is it worth checking out?

It's not terrible, but it's not particularly good either. There are some funny moments. A lot of people didn't really like Nagaturkey but, if you don't have anything else to watch on your list, maybe give it a shot.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Davincie posted:

he wrote and directed a hentai about a girl who eats poop.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

lol

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

In Training posted:

That twig moment is a cool example because I can't even remember it specifically even though I've seen EE 4 times and gravitated towards my own favorite tiny moments. The density of tiny moments is incredibly

I never remember which small things I pay attention to when I watch through it. I do know that there's an insanely large number of these small things and I feel I will never see them all.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I never remember which small things I pay attention to when I watch through it. I do know that there's an insanely large number of these small things and I feel I will never see them all.

The one that immediately comes to mind for me is the fly drowning in the spilled soda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3742996 I made the Kyoto Animation thread. I will close this now, its been a great simulwatch. Please continue to discuss all your favorite KyoAni shows in the new thread, and I'm looking forward to next year when I watch this show again for the 9th time :D

• Locked thread