Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I know it's fun to shitpost about crashing but I'm quite sure every major game in existence had this kind of crashing in pre-alpha. Give it a month or two.

what makes you quite sure that they crash a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I know it's fun to shitpost about crashing but I'm quite sure every major game in existence had this kind of crashing in pre-alpha. Give it a month or two.

Probably, but every other game developer is smart enough not to put it out into wild in that state, especially in this day and age where streamers playing the game early are one of the main way games are marketed now.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Jared was also kind enough to provide us with very early examples of most of the ships. For example here is the Kingship. Thanks Jared!

Don't you mean :dong:ship? I'm still mad they removed it's tail.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Dapper Dan posted:

Wait, they're charging for the second episode? Not going the Tell-Tale route and going 'pay once, get all the other episodes'? Does this game have the most exploitative loving funding models in existence? Holy poo poo.

They revised their position on this, yes, then threw out the usual handwavium

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/4785275/#Comment_4785275

Essentially their position is that they haven't changed anything at all regarding S42. That the story, characters, setting, plot and everything that they imagined on day 1 of the crowdfunding will 100% be in S42. The second/third game are just that. The second/third game. That those games were announced partway into the development of S42 and that original backers already have part 2 of the trilogy.

S42 was supposed to have some 20 hours of gameplay and 50/70 missions. Depending on who you ask. Of course during one video or another it was stated that a "checkpoint" was a mission. So what 50/70 missions means is anyones guess at this point.

But a lot of this is from Ben, who is not a reliable source.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Eonwe posted:

I really really enjoyed Elite Dangerous but I would often turn in a mission at a base and there wouldn't be an available mission (because my standings weren't high enough) which is really offputting because then I have to go land at another station to maybe get a mission so I stopped playing as much
Usually each station has missions of a wide variety. Not all require rank. Sometimes they just require that you have (X) amount of cargo space. I don't know if they nerfed the Rare Trade Runs but I earned my way quickly up to a Cobra that way-- then had the cargo space for better paying missions-- then eventually did black market cargo missions out of Sothis for the quick track to the Imperial Cutter.

I'm pretty jazzed about the Horizons launch-- but am even moreso about Oculus and Vive launching soon. I hear absolute ravings from Elite / DK2 players-- and with Horizons and looting/crafting right around the corner, I bet the game is going to really start to get interesting.

Star Citizen isn't likely to ever really be a VR friendly title. Not with all their herky jerky headbobbing and mandatory 10 second "enter / exit pilot's seat" animations. The only thing I suspect will really work in VR is the ladder climbing animations. Because Star Citizen's work there truly is on par with the best of first person games' ladder climbing animations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dusty Lens posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/4785275/#Comment_4785275

Essentially their position is that they haven't changed anything at all regarding S42. That the story, characters, setting, plot and everything that they imagined on day 1 of the crowdfunding will 100% be in S42. The second/third game are just that. The second/third game. That those games were announced partway into the development of S42 and that original backers already have part 2 of the trilogy.

S42 was supposed to have some 20 hours of gameplay and 50/70 missions. Depending on who you ask. Of course during one video or another it was stated that a "checkpoint" was a mission. So what 50/70 missions means is anyones guess at this point.

if :lesnick: says it, it has a better chance of being wrong than right

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Dapper Dan posted:

Thinking on it, I can imagine them putting band-aids on 2.0, releasing a lovely version of SQ42 and considering their game 'released', while they continue to milk money from their backers with ships and credits and massive micro-transactions. Who will then consider themselves 'customers', thereby psychologically freeing them from the 'backer' mentality. This will allow them to spend more money, because, hey, the game is done and they are customers now! It will also alleviate any criticism that Star Citizen isn't done. It is a shipped product and it might be crap, they can use the excuse that they are always continuing to improve while keeping the same dysfunctional process they are using now, only with even less pressure to actually fix things.
I can certainly see CIG attempting that. I don't see it working though.

From what I've seen their issue at the moment is the general gaming public and in particular the media aren't really paying attention because the game is still in development and in theory, if you think of game dev being a magic box where anything can happen, it could all pull together. Once they get to an actual release though that defence is down. The only way I can see CIG scraping through this is if the gaming media just don't care, but with a $100 million crowdfunding campaign behind them it's just too juicy to ignore.

SQ42 can't just be "adequate", it needs to be AAA good and out in 2016 and from what I've seen skimming through this thread I don't see that happening.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ravane posted:

I only recently picked up Dark Souls. I lost against the first three guys who invaded me. But then I beat the next three guys because as soon as I saw the "You have been invaded" text, I ran to the closest cramped area because I can't dodge for poo poo, and if I can force the opponent to not be able to dodge roll either, I actually have a chance at winning. In all six of those fights, I haven't once experienced lag, even when I'm summoned or summoning. I have a pretty great connection though.

Ah, a six-fight veteran. I wonder why people even bothered coining the term lagstab for the game since it isn't laggy. :iiam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbqKojfohgs

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Strange things afoot with the RSI funding counter...

Not sure I get what the Chargeback explanation is about... But it sounds like 100 million is right around the corner.

I have to believe this will lead to a new wave of articles-- it's too big a milestone not to cover. Yet I gotta think we will see shift in some of the tone. It's been too fawning for too long-- and the question "so what does $100M in crowdfunding get you?" is going to be pretty obvious.

Some will just show SQ42 stuff and say "it's happening" but others I think are going to start mixing in a little bit of journalism with their puffpiecing.

(Or so I hope.)

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

G0RF posted:

Not sure I get what the Chargeback explanation is about... But it sounds like 100 million is right around the corner.

I have to believe this will lead to a new wave of articles-- it's too big a milestone not to cover. Yet I gotta think we will see shift in some of the tone. It's been too fawning for too long-- and the question "so what does $100M in crowdfunding get you?" is going to be pretty obvious.

Some will just show SQ42 stuff and say "it's happening" but others I think are going to start mixing in a little bit of journalism with their puffpiecing.

(Or so I hope.)

I think chargebacks was a mis-statement, it looks like it's mostly just payment processors being overloaded.

Edit- clearing up now: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3unlit/heads_up_purchases_are_starting_to_go_through/

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 29, 2015

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

G0RF posted:

(Or so I hope.)

It's pretty scary, people are treating the 100m mark like people used to treat getting to that final level in an MMO after beating the same monsters endlessly for the past year. I'm honestly curious to see if things seriously start cooling off after 100m because the next logical milestone would be 150m or 200m.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
actual IRL idiots: we contributed $100 million with basically nothing to show for it :downs:

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Xaerael posted:

Get me started on the awesome connection between Yoda and the puppets from Dark Crystal for some really fun stuff. Yoda was a prototype for the puppets from DC, made as a trade along with the puppeteering skills of Frank Oz for Gary Kurtz to go and work on DC. Yoda was Sculpted by Brian Froud's (the illustrative designer of DC) future wife, Wendy Midnener

I've actually done a live commentary on DC at a student event because of my stupidly deep knowledge about it.

I'm just an SFX nerd, really.

I want to know more. I'm a Muppet fan and a Henson Creature Shop fanatic.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Xaerael posted:

It's pretty scary, people are treating the 100m mark like people used to treat getting to that final level in an MMO after beating the same monsters endlessly for the past year.
This isn't an uncommon phenomenon in crowdfunding, just not with milestones with that many zeroes.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

trucutru posted:

Ah, a six-fight veteran. I wonder why people even bothered coining the term lagstab for the game since it isn't laggy. :iiam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbqKojfohgs

Hey hey, my anecdotal evidence is real to me. Don't you go on disputing it with your recorded videos. :)

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
So, close to 8000 posts since I last checked, game out/legal case happen?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

staberind posted:

:cawg:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Bootcha posted:

I want to know more.

I agree. Your post about tattoo applications was super good.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

staberind posted:

As if any of that will ever happen.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

A Study In Contrasts

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Imagine owning a Star Citizen track jacket :lol:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

G0RF posted:

A Study In Contrasts

gently caress you, CIG. What a garbage company.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

G0RF posted:

A Study In Contrasts

The good news is that it will likely be months before it's shipped, so he has plenty of time.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The good news is that it will likely be months before it's shipped, so he has plenty of time.

The bad news is he'll end up with a Star Citizen track jacket

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

To be fair, that's about how long it takes to manufacture a Star Citizen size jacket

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkoX1jucTq8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKis4HMgwrc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA422aET-JM

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Dusty Lens posted:

So nobody really knows if Squadron 42 is an episode or a full game. My guess is they are intentionally vague so they can claim it was an episode when it comes out and it is poo poo.

Trapezium Dave posted:

I can certainly see CIG attempting that. I don't see it working though.

From what I've seen their issue at the moment is the general gaming public and in particular the media aren't really paying attention because the game is still in development and in theory, if you think of game dev being a magic box where anything can happen, it could all pull together. Once they get to an actual release though that defence is down. The only way I can see CIG scraping through this is if the gaming media just don't care, but with a $100 million crowdfunding campaign behind them it's just too juicy to ignore.

SQ42 can't just be "adequate", it needs to be AAA good and out in 2016 and from what I've seen skimming through this thread I don't see that happening.

The ironic thing is that CG doesn't need the gaming media anymore. Yeah it helps, but honestly there's no new blood coming in and if they are, they aren't going to be buying much. Especially when people look at what a buggy mess has come out. Its all about juicing their current audience for even more money. They can make a case to them that they're the outsiders and gaming media doesn't 'understand' them and that they're the underdogs because they are crowd funded and the publishers are just jealous of them. The Star Citizens are retarded enough to spin anything Roberts says at this point and ask for no accountability. They eat poo poo and say its pudding. Rather sad, really. Any investor, publisher and even creators would be losing their poo poo if it took 3-4 years for a pre-alpha proof of concept after nearly 100 million dollars.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

pftc posted:

Ben doesn't know what's going on.

The problem was solved, then it wasn't solved.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5988224/#Comment_5988224

Lol really?

The counter has NEVER had a problem ever before, except the time when they're 'supposed' to be making hundreds of thousands a day

Calling it now, the counter comes back online and SURPRISE they had their BEST DAY EVER in the history of crowd funding

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

peter gabriel posted:

Imagine owning a Star Citizen track jacket :lol:

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I bet you they actually have a hell of a lot of content work done because of the whole parallel development thing but the problem is that since they apparently up until recently haven't nailed down the core technology they haven't been able to be putting all the content into the system and looking at it as they go along. This backloads all of the QA work. Those employees think they've been under crunch but they're about to learn a new meaning of the word. The amount of pressure is going to be biblical. As fun as all the pube and scam jokes are, I maintain a healthy skepticism about all the stuff I've been hearing about because at the end of the day, the company financials are not public. The entire money aspect of this project still has a gigantic black curtain around it. Why should I trust that counter at all? Why should I believe all of the money is coming from gamers? This project has open connections to people who were previously involved in criminal activity. The list of companies seems to be as long as one of the many phallic ships in the "Verse. These companies are shuffling money between who knows how many countries. Make no mistake, the game will come out one way or another to avoid a lawsuit and we'll never actually know the details of how the money was spent, or even how much of it was spent.

Despite this, I would not at all be surprised if the DS prediction of several people leaving after the Holidays came true. With the relative success they've had with 2.0 this is the absolute PERFECT time to sever all connections with this project and leave on a high note.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Now that CIG has his money, they've got plenty of time, too.

Over and over again, the trademark inefficiency of a Chris Roberts process shines through.

The Constellation and other ship redesigns. The Illfonic experiment and subsequent code purge. SataBall. The Quadruple Motion Captures. The relocation of studios-- and subsequent relocation of them. The 10 second exit your chair animations.

Nothing is efficient, nothing elegant, nothing done quickly, nothing important done right the first time. Not much trivial is either.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

This look is extremely my poo poo

I am an urban ninja who likes space sims

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Star Citizen fashion : Playing with proportions

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lmao

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Dapper Dan posted:

The ironic thing is that CG doesn't need the gaming media anymore. Yeah it helps, but honestly there's no new blood coming in and if they are, they aren't going to be buying much. Especially when people look at what a buggy mess has come out. Its all about juicing their current audience for even more money. They can make a case to them that they're the outsiders and gaming media doesn't 'understand' them and that they're the underdogs because they are crowd funded and the publishers are just jealous of them. The Star Citizens are retarded enough to spin anything Roberts says at this point and ask for no accountability. They eat poo poo and say its pudding. Rather sad, really. Any investor, publisher and even creators would be losing their poo poo if it took 3-4 years for a pre-alpha proof of concept after nearly 100 million dollars.
That's true to an extent but milking the die-hard believers can't last for much longer, especially not if majority opinion turns hostile against the game. Running CIG is expensive, they're going to need to replace the fans who lose faith in Roberts with new money eventually or go bust.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Bootcha posted:

I found fuzzknot thanks to Chris Roberts and Star Citizen. We play 2.0 together, and it has made our relationship so much stronger than it ought to be.

I've still got $3k in Star Citizen, maybe I should put just a little more in.

What's the best package for sale out there now.

Also give me your referral codes.

Dear God, dude; that's worse than you being a Blackhawks fan and me being a Red Wings fan.

I KNEW I should have paid more attention to this thread the last couple of days.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Ag Bengip posted:

To be fair, that's about how long it takes to manufacture a Star Citizen size jacket
Yeah, those kids in Guangzhou can only work so fast...

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

fuzzknot posted:

Dear God, dude; that's worse than you being a Blackhawks fan and me being a Red Wings fan.

I KNEW I should have paid more attention to this thread the last couple of days.

Your a bit more behind than you think now.. he used my referral code and got me nearly 160000 credits... so that means he spent another.. well let's just say a lot, on new accounts on my behalf alone. Who knows what he's spent total in the last few hours.

Thanks bootcha! You will always be my #1 citizen!

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/300242

Sale extended for a day because of that drat inaccurate counter. :shepspends:

If they don't hit 100mil it'll be an all-week sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

ritorix posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/300242

Sale extended for a day because of that drat inaccurate counter. :shepspends:

If they don't hit 100mil it'll be an all-week sale.

It is hilarious how flagrant they are.

• Locked thread