Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Welcome to Popularity Contest: Creative Writing Edition!

Five years ago, a man's fantasy became a reality in a forum never seen before: Creative Stadium, a giant writing arena. The motivation for spending his fortune to create Creative Stadium was to encounter new original stories which could be called true artistic creations. To realize his dream, he secretly started choosing the top writers of various styles of writing, and he named his men the Iron Authors: the invincible men of literary skills. Creative Stadium is the arena where Iron Authors await the challenges of master authors from around the world. Both the Iron Author and challenger have one week to tackle the next chapter of their story. Using all their senses, skill, creativity, they are to prepare artistic tales never tasted before. And if ever a challenger wins the title of Iron Author, he or she will gain the people's ovation and fame forever. Every battle, reputations are on the line in Creative Stadium, where master authors pit their artistic creations against each other. What inspiration do today's challengers bring? And how will their competition fight back? The heat will be on!

POPCON: CWE is a game for 11 players. Each week every contestant is encouraged to post a new chapter, segment, or arc of their short story. The length, content and general parameters of your fiction are completely up to you, as you will be judged completely by your peer contestants. Using votefinder and it's voting system, the group will be forced to vote out one player per week until the pool is left down to a remaining two, where the two final contestants will complete their stories and the winner of Iron Author will be bestowed by the jury, consisting of all 9 voted out players!

Rules
  • You may post things other than your fiction, but voting should be generally consistent with critiques of the writing probably!!
  • Anthology writing is not allowed, your story will be considered one consistent narrative. Anything can be done inside this framework.
  • I reserve the right as mod to be choosy with who actually participates, depending on many factors. I want people who can commit to their stories!
  • Every day will have a writing portion followed by a voting portion. No votes will count until all entries are entered!
  • You may post your weekly writing in multiple posts, just make sure to demarcate them well so other players read it all!!
  • If you have been voted out, you are not allowed to post any further segments of your story until after the competition is finished! This goes for anywhere, not just this thread!
  • No out of thread communication with other contestants is allowed.
  • Do not be petulant. Try to keep criticism constructive. It's all in good fun, so don't make things personal or hostile in this thread.
  • Please don't sign up if you think you might quit! It's a very personal game that won't play well with replacements. idk what will happen if someone has to quit out.
  • Spectators may post, but try to keep it contentless and with that popcorn munching smilie. i.e. survivor
  • popularity is fleeting, and we are all vanquished by its specter

Contestants
  1. Chic Trombone
  2. EccoRaven
  3. GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE
  4. Hal Incandenza
  5. jon joe
  6. Little Mac
  7. Look Under The Rock
  8. Meinberg
  9. Quidnose
  10. Tremendous Taste
  11. uranus

George Kansas fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

In!

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I was told that this was a scary thing, that this was something to run away from. I was told that this was the finally the one game that could break my will. So here I stand. Break it.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I am obviously in.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
You know what, yeah.

...on the one condition that I am allowed to kind of fudge the whole "work of fiction" thing and post poo poo from the rock musical I have been trying to force myself to start. You'll get songs! But I'm so crap at writing fiction.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
Oh loving christ

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
edit: nevermind gently caress this sorry jon joe

HiipFire fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 5, 2015

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Me.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
you did it! woo! i'm very excite.

is there a word count max or min per week

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I promised JJ I'd play popcon, but I don't really do creative writing (my last attempt was fanfic mafia and we all know how that went), so I'll not be joining and will play in the basic popcon if winvirus ever comes back.

I will watch and judge you all harshly though!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Wait is BK JonJoe

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I'm not going to be around until Sunday, but assuming that's not an issue, consider me in.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

This has nothing to do with previous popcons! It was originally going to be a game of mafia but I was helped in the DJ chat into workshopping it into a chaotic popcon. I don't have anyone's blessing or whatever, I just wanted to do a creative writing game.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

uranus posted:

you did it! woo! i'm very excite.

is there a word count max or min per week

Nope! The only fear you should have is getting voted out by the group!

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Wait Won't people just vote out the strongest writers so they can win?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Little Mac posted:

There's nothing stopping them :unsmigghh:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I have outlined chapter one.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Little Mac posted:

you have to write good enough so that people wont vote you out cause they want to read what happens next

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Yeah I mean my biggest hope is that even people wanting to be dicks aren't going to vote someone out if they like the story.

I suppose I should make it a rule that posting any future chapters of your story anywhere during the competition after you've been voted out is prohibited!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
also a no oot communication rule might be useful.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Maybe I will pick up my NaNoWriMo album again from two years ago. Am I allowed to submit reworked chapters to this :v:

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Quidnose posted:

Maybe I will pick up my NaNoWriMo album again from two years ago. Am I allowed to submit reworked chapters to this :v:

Are iron chefs allowed to bring leftovers to Kitchen Stadium??

Though it's more of an honor system, while I don't like the idea of it I also couldn't possibly stop you, so I won't make it a rule.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
my story will be completely new unused ideas with not a word written before the iron author man bites into his quil pen

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

BottleKnight posted:

Are iron chefs allowed to bring leftovers to Kitchen Stadium??

Though it's more of an honor system, while I don't like the idea of it I also couldn't possibly stop you, so I won't make it a rule.

MAYBE IF THE SECRET INGREDIENT IS LEFTOVERS

I'll play fair and write something new I GUESS.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

uranus posted:

my story will be completely new unused ideas with not a word written before the iron author man bites into his quil pen

Authorman is in this game?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Is BK JonJoe nobody is answering me!~!~

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Those tildes were entirely a fat finger accident but it was a happy one which I liked~

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Quidnose posted:

Is BK JonJoe nobody is answering me!~!~

I am not JonJoe. Nor am I Winvirus.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Who's parachute account ARE you then

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

He's Mr.Capps, it's pretty obvious.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'll only sign up if we're allowed to render the fiction part pointless by forming alliances instead

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I'll only sign up if we're allowed to render the fiction part pointless by forming alliances instead

No

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Here's my story:

BK sucks

don't vote me out if you want to read part 2

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Here's my story:

BK sucks

don't vote me out if you want to read part 2

You make a compelling case.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I think MMM should sign up, we need someone terrible to vote day 1 so the rest of us can give our stories a chance.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

No one likes me and I write like poo poo can I sign up?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

MMM and Hal are in. 2 more!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I didn't sign up :mad:

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I didn't sign up :mad:

Is this going to be yet another game of mine where you post on the first page but don't play? What is this, like, 4 in a row now!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Just gotta announce my presence

• Locked thread