Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I never went back to Demon King once it had that one super gross chapter where the little sister tried to seduce that older dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Nate RFB posted:

I never went back to Demon King once it had that one super gross chapter where the little sister tried to seduce that older dude.

I ... I think I missed that one! Or wiped it out of my memory.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah, just got there

that was weird in a not-good way

OH WELL

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Tollymain posted:

demi-chan seems pretty good though the schoolgirl getting a crush on the teacher kind of rubs me the wrong way (at least he's sort of professional and not a creep)

i guess you were home schooled then?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i plead the fifth

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Not sure if it counts for this thread, but I just discovered Aizawa-san Multiplies on Crunchyroll.

Mysterious shy-looking girl confesses her love to guy, and suddenly clones of her starts to appear, but with different traits emphasized. No real explanation, and they just try to roll with it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

nielsm posted:

Not sure if it counts for this thread, but I just discovered Aizawa-san Multiplies on Crunchyroll.

Mysterious shy-looking girl confesses her love to guy, and suddenly clones of her starts to appear, but with different traits emphasized. No real explanation, and they just try to roll with it.

That's looks like a good one! I've seen it around but never tried it. The multiplying gimmick is pretty hilarious, conceptually.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

So, you guys, they started updating Takag-San again!!

Ch 20 - When she dropped the last bomb, that was great. Haha, she's always got an ace up the hole. Nishikata continues to be oblivious as to how much this girl is into him.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It's a different group. I'm guessing the guys doing it before died.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

AnonSpore posted:

It's a different group. I'm guessing the guys doing it before died.

Ciel and tsp both released chapter 19 at about the same time, but tsp got 20 out already and ciel hasn't.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Kkkkkkkkkkkkkkiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssssssssss alreadyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New chapter of Takagi-san - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Karakai-Jouzu-no-Takagi-san/Vol-003-Ch-021--Changing-Seats?id=269641

In which my reaction is

Artificer posted:

Kkkkkkkkkkkkkkiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssssssssss alreadyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 7, 2016

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The scanslators are on a roll today, with yet another new chapter of Takagi-san - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Karakai-Jouzu-no-Takagi-san/Vol-003-Ch-022--English-Translation?id=269651

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
She already has him mind, body and soul so why should she worry about something simple like kissing?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

The scanslators are on a roll today, with yet another new chapter of Takagi-san - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Karakai-Jouzu-no-Takagi-san/Vol-003-Ch-022--English-Translation?id=269651

This is really the best. I love the tension in this series, especially when Takagi drops those bombs that keep Nishikata guessing and on his toes. She's got him wrapped around her finger!!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

yeah RIP

New Flying Witch

Featuring a very good catte and occasional bad translation editing.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Everybody go watch the Flying Witch anime!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

a kitten posted:

Everybody go watch the Flying Witch anime!

:vince:

I'm gonna make the anime thread for this, unless I'm beaten by someone else to it!

Meanwhile, there are 4 .5 chapters of Takagi San to enjoy! Go read them and enjoy Nishikata's delicious pain!
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Karakai-Jouzu-no-Takagi-san/Vol-003-Ch-023--Gymnastics?id=269691

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Here! Go post about the anime!

This season is fan tas tic for SDL mangas to become anime. We get this, Sakamoto and Girl Meets Bear!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Our favorite new monstergirl manga just updated.

The conclusion of the Yuki-Onna story in which the teacher saves the day with :science: and 90's inspirational sports comedy music plays.

And "Demi-chans are friends" which is purely :kimchi: cottoncandy fluff.

That face Machi makes when she's being held...!!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 11, 2016

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Apparently Demi-Chan vampires are catgirls (that drink blood) now, what with the being lazy, pouncing on people, nibbling on things, etc. She even has "ears" for heaven's sake.

And while I'm glad that Yuki's problems are mostly solved, I worry that that clears the way for 100% "everybody likes Tetsuo" harem-style silliness.

Enjoying the heck out of this so far, though.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
So I just finished marathoning Mahoutsukai no Yome.

I'm not sure if it fits in this thread, but gently caress it. If you aren't reading this you should be, because holy poo poo it’s good.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

The Sandman posted:

So I just finished marathoning Mahoutsukai no Yome.

I'm not sure if it fits in this thread, but gently caress it. If you aren't reading this you should be, because holy poo poo it’s good.

:yeah:

Good series. Lots of classic English magic stuff with a hint of danger.

Official versions are also available for purchase.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I would make a thread for it but I don't know how to pitch it in a non-spoilery manner while simultaneously addressing the elephant in the room of the premise being (at face value) an old man literally buying a young girl to marry her

I'm glad you guys are enjoying it though, also buy the volumes support the artist

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

AnonSpore posted:

I would make a thread for it but I don't know how to pitch it in a non-spoilery manner while simultaneously addressing the elephant in the room of the premise being (at face value) an old man literally buying a young girl to marry her

I'm glad you guys are enjoying it though, also buy the volumes support the artist

Buying it is definitely on my list.

As for a way to pitch it... "Mr Norrell and Jonathan Strange meet in Howl's Moving Castle"?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

I feel like it's not so much the "(seeming) old man buying young girl to marry" thing that I consider an issue (especially in light of what you end up finding out later regarding Elias), but it does kind of bug me when you have situations where a person (usually a younger girl) falls in love almost entirely because they were saved from a terrible situation by their love interest and have no other positive influence in their life. Like, in Chise's case Elias seems to be literally the only person she has ever become close to who seems to care about her, so she naturally wants to cling to that.

That being said, Mahoutsukai no Yome is super good and I don't think that what I described detracts from it much.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like it's not so much the "(seeming) old man buying young girl to marry" thing that I consider an issue (especially in light of what you end up finding out later regarding Elias), but it does kind of bug me when you have situations where a person (usually a younger girl) falls in love almost entirely because they were saved from a terrible situation by their love interest and have no other positive influence in their life. Like, in Chise's case Elias seems to be literally the only person she has ever become close to who seems to care about her, so she naturally wants to cling to that.

That being said, Mahoutsukai no Yome is super good and I don't think that what I described detracts from it much.

To be fair, that point gets raised in-story. We’ll have to see where the manga goes with it.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Poputepipikku is on a roll on updates (6 on the last 24 hours) and I don't know if my sanity can handle it. Bkub is a genius.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

nerdz posted:

Poputepipikku is on a roll on updates (6 on the last 24 hours) and I don't know if my sanity can handle it. Bkub is a genius.

thank god, i thought chapter 15 really was the end.

e: and he revisted my favorite, goddamn

coolskull fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 20, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Chise's Stockholm Syndrome (which to Yamazaki's credit has not gone completely ignored) is a problem and Elias's buying Chise with intent to marry her makes a lot more sense when you realize he's got no idea how human beings work, but those are problems and explanations you encounter after the initial hook. For something like the OP (which is the opening sell) you have to address the thing that jumps out at you; considering the ending of the first chapter you can't really ignore it.

I'm sure once the anime comes out some more intrepid and creative soul will do it for me :v:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

More of that really cute monstergirls one, not the "other" one

Oh god! Every girl is the best girl! I like how the vampire is basically a cat, down to the teacher dude holding her up like one in that one panel.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Two random tidbits about that chapter (not really spoilers but hey):

They've romanized it as "Succey", but it's supposed to be a play off her first name, not the succubus thing; it just so happens "succubus" and her name (Sakie) both start with "サキ saki" in Japanese. (In the JP the nickname is "サッキー Sakki-")

Vampirecat actually doesn't call the teacher dude Sensei, she calls him Sense- (センセー), which is basically just a looser/more casual pronunciation. Just another little bit of characterization.

(Not trying to pick at translation choices, they're totally fine, just thought some people might be interested in some of the more obscure details that get lost.)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

z0glin Warchief posted:

Two random tidbits about that chapter (not really spoilers but hey):

They've romanized it as "Succey", but it's supposed to be a play off her first name, not the succubus thing; it just so happens "succubus" and her name (Sakie) both start with "サキ saki" in Japanese. (In the JP the nickname is "サッキー Sakki-")

Vampirecat actually doesn't call the teacher dude Sensei, she calls him Sense- (センセー), which is basically just a looser/more casual pronunciation. Just another little bit of characterization.

(Not trying to pick at translation choices, they're totally fine, just thought some people might be interested in some of the more obscure details that get lost.)

I'm afraid I don't know enough about how Japanese folks pronounce things to tell, but how are things like "Sakki" and "Saki", "Sense-" and "Sensei", or "Yuki" and "Yukki" pronounced differently? They sound the same in my mind.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

DrSunshine posted:

I'm afraid I don't know enough about how Japanese folks pronounce things to tell, but how are things like "Sakki" and "Saki", "Sense-" and "Sensei", or "Yuki" and "Yukki" pronounced differently? They sound the same in my mind.

This video is a decent explanation of the double consonant thing.

Sense- vs. sensei is a little hard for me to describe. The second one is normal pronunciation. The first exaggerates the final sound, I guess? At least that's what pops into my head. Maybe like the line 28 seconds into this video?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
According to a friend that lives in Japan, the difference is basically a harder end on sensei. So sen-sey (sensei) vs sen-seh (sense-).

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Wow, I've been meaning to read this thread for a while, just now got through it. Looks like I have a lot of reading to do.

And a few good recommendations to do, it think, but I'll do it later since phone posting those is a pain.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Kokoro Wish posted:

According to a friend that lives in Japan, the difference is basically a harder end on sensei. So sen-sey (sensei) vs sen-seh (sense-).

Yeah basically this. Instead of properly enunciating the i (Japanese "i" always sounds like the "ee" in meet), she just drags out the final e sound ("e" always sounds like the "e" in bet). So instead of sounding sort of like "sen-say" it sounds more like "sen-seh". You're generally expected to pronounce things "correctly" in polite company/when speaking with superiors/etc., so a hardass teacher would definitely get on your case for pronouncing it the way she does. The fact that she says it that way (and only with him), and that he doesn't really care, is a minor but relevant bit of characterization for them both.

e; For the double consonant thing that video does a fine job, but it basically indicates a short pause (one syllable length) where you sort of hold the succeeding consonant sound. So, "Saki" would be two syllables and "Sakki" would be three; you'd say "sa," ending the sound with your tongue in place to make a "k" sound, hold, then "ki."

tldr; Learn Japanese so you can get the ~*~full experience~*~ when reading manga

z0glin Warchief fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 21, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

A good way to think of it is that Japanese words are made up of syllables (more accurately, things called "mora"), and repeated letters mean there's an empty syllable thrown in. So "saki" is two syllables ("sa" + "ki") while "sakki" is 3 ("sa" + syllable-long-pause + "ki"). Like, imagine you have a really fast metronome where each beat is as long as a spoken syllable. When you see a repeated letter, it's like you're pausing for that beat (in the case of "sakki" it would be the second beat). Or imagine you're saying "Saeki" but blanking out the "e".

Japanese is actually probably one of the most straight-forward and easy to pronounce languages I can think of, once you learn the basics. Like, in all but a few rare cases, you can 100% know the correct way to pronounce a thing from looking at its hiragana/katana. The only situations that I find difficult to pronounce more or less correctly are the Japanese "r" sound (which is sort of a cross between an r, l, and d) and certain sequences of syllables that can be sort of tongue-twistery to pronounce (like "shinjirareru" where it can be tough to say the last three syllables fast correctly).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 21, 2016

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Japanese is actually probably one of the most straight-forward and easy to pronounce languages I can think of, once you learn the basics. Like, in all but a few rare cases, you can 100% know the correct way to pronounce a thing from looking at its hiragana/katana. The only situations that I find difficult to pronounce more or less correctly are the Japanese "r" sound (which is sort of a cross between an r, l, and d) and certain sequences of syllables that can be sort of tongue-twistery to pronounce (like "shinjirareru" where it can be tough to say the last three syllables fast correctly).

And then the few cases of e.g. "iku" becoming "yuku", "iu" being "yuu", the grammatic wa/e/o (ha/he/wo) and probably some I'm forgetting.

But yes overall it's a very straightforward system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I long for the day when Azazel San will be picked up again. was it licensed?