Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Are we on a new page yet? First page is getting crowded. Let's meet some of these new guys.

Code Name: Blowtorch
File Name: Hanrahan, Timothy P.
SN: RA527341209
Grade: E-4
Birthplace: Tampa, Florida
Primary Specialty: Infantry Special Weapons
Secondary Specialty: Small-Arms Armorer

Blowtorch is thoroughly familiar with all military incendiary devices and flame projection equipment. To Blowtorch, the use of fire in warfare is a science that predates the bow and arrow. Qualified expert: M-7 Flamethrower; M-16; M-1911A1 Auto Pistol.

"Blowtorch can't sleep unless he's near a smoke detector. Cigarette smoke drives him bananas! He always sits near the exit in movie theaters and refuses to live anywhere where he can't safely jump out the windows. This is not irrational to him. These are actions based on intimate knowledge."

---

Code Name: Rip-Cord
File Name: Weems, Wallace A.
SN: RA148231056
Birthplace: Columbus, Ohio
Primary Specialty: Airborne Infantry
Secondary Specialty: Demolitions

Rip Cord joined the Civil Air Patrol in high school. Discovered skydiving and joined the G.I. Joe team so he could jump from much higher altitudes. Qualified expert: M-16; M-1911A1 Auto Pistol; Carl Gustav 9mm parabellum; Browning high-power.

"Let's say you got a trouble spot-you can't sail, walk, or ride in. So you send a plane in so high that it can't be seen or heard. Rip Cord jumps and drops like a rock for thousands of feet, then opens his chute at the last possible moment to avoid visual and electronic detection. What he does once he hits the ground you don't want to hear about."

---

Code Name: Recondo
File Name: LeClaire, Daniel M.
SN: RA158230074
Birthplace: Wheaton, Wisconsin
Primary Specialty: Infantry
Secondary Specialty: Intelligence

Recondo hates the cold. He loves hauling a rucksack through the bush and sweating through his cammies. When he's in the jungle, he owns it. Anybody else is trespassing. Cadre member at Jungle Warfare Training Center. Qualified expert: M-16; Swedish K; grease gun; M-1911A1 Auto Pistol; M-79 grenade launcher.

"A jungle is like some single, gigantic, hostile organism. It can sense when you fear or hate it--and it is wholly without mercy. When Recondo steps into a jungle, it sings to him like a mother soothing a troubled child."

---

Code Name: Lady Jaye
File Name: Hart-Burnett, Alison R.
SN: 853-71-6749
Birthplace: Martha's Vineyard, Mass.
Primary Specialty: Intelligence
Secondary Specialty: Personnel clerk

Lady Jaye graduated from Bryn Mawr and did her graduate work at Trinity College in Dublin where she acquired the faint Gaelic lilt that adorns her speech. An accomplished actress and mime as well as a studied linguist, she can easily pass as a native in France, Italy, Poland, Russia, Germany, Afghanistan, Spain, and Portugal.

Airborne and Ranger qualified, graduated intelligence school Fort Holabird. Qualified expert: M-16, M1911A1 and reflex crossbow.

"Lady Jaye doesn't go in for that phoney wig and rubber mask brand of disguise like those jokers on Mission Improbable...She becomes the subject: body language, subtle gesture, correct shading of dialect - The right look in the eye. Cloaked and sandaled, she can squat down with a basket of oranges, in any Middle Eastern marketplace and blend in perfectly."

---

The next few issues are all standalone, so it's a bit of a diversion from the "main story". Don't worry, though. We'll find out what happens to Billy soon enough, and the next issue, despite being "filler" is one of my favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

One thing that stuck with me from the comics was a scene where a couple Joes (maybe Rock and Roll and Breaker?) stop at a gas station to fuel up and the kid working there is impressed with them and the equipment and he wants to know what he can do to sign up. The Joes basically tell him to get hosed, with one of them later saying to the other something to the effect of, "he just wanted to get out of his small-town dead-end job and that's not the kind of person we want" or some bullshit.

Nice recruiting pitch, assholes.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

:colbert::colbert:

infrared35 posted:

One thing that stuck with me from the comics was a scene where a couple Joes (maybe Rock and Roll and Breaker?) stop at a gas station to fuel up and the kid working there is impressed with them and the equipment and he wants to know what he can do to sign up. The Joes basically tell him to get hosed, with one of them later saying to the other something to the effect of, "he just wanted to get out of his small-town dead-end job and that's not the kind of person we want" or some bullshit.

Would you have preferred the truth?

"You gotta want to be the BEST OF THE BEST at being marketable as defined by Hasbro or else you're not a real Joe."

:v:

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

infrared35 posted:

Didn't that "kid" turn out to be Zartan's brother Zandar? It was a ruse to see about getting into the Pit.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Young Freud posted:

Didn't that "kid" turn out to be Zartan's brother Zandar? It was a ruse to see about getting into the Pit.

Not as I recall, but it was a *long* time ago.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Quick bump and apology for the delay. I've been real wrapped up at work and also spent the last couple weeks with a nasty sinus infection. I'm trying to get back on track this weekend.

Incidentally, the thing y'all are discussing in the last few replies happens issue after next, so look forward to that.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Hi guys! Let's Read Issue #34!

This issue's opening is rather detached from the tumultuous events of our last episode. As Ace prepares to take Lady Jaye up in order to field test the latest electronics installed in the G.I. Joe Sky Striker, Wild Weasel readies the Baroness for a recertification in the latest model of Cobra Rattler. What could possibly go wrong?

Lady Jaye is surprised to hear a mysterious voice warning of a collision hazard...

Meanwhile, Wild Weasel is showing off the capabilities of his craft to the Baroness.

While demonstrating the nap of the earth flying capability enabled by the radar-autopilot linkage, the Cobras stumble across a startling surprise.

Ace picks up the radar beam on the Sky Striker's ECM, but can he react in time?

The Joes drop chaff and flares, but one missile slips close enough to damage the vertical stabilizers. Control surfaces aren't damaged, but the transmission antenna is destroyed, so calling for backup is no longer an option. By dropping into a high-G turn, Ace gains a firing position on the Rattler.

While they stick to the tail of the Rattler, the Joes can't use missiles while they're over a suburban area. Ace tries to keep position and wait for his chance...

The damage to the Sky Striker is enough to keep Ace distracted...

-----

If you all could indulge me for a brief moment, I'd like to relate a scene from my high school days, some decades ago...

I was in Navy Jr. ROTC during high school, and every summer our unit took a trip across the country, mixing traditional touristy stuff with whatever military activities we could get involved in. On this particular trip to San Diego, our commander had gotten us the opportunity to participate in a dependent's day cruise aboard an amphibious assault carrier. These cruises are traditional for ships headed out on a long deployment, like this one which was bound for the western Pacific for six months. The crew are allowed to bring their families on board, and the ship sails out to sea for the day. All the various departments put on demonstrations of their equipment, and the mess crew laid out a loving luau on the flight deck, whole roast pig and all the trimmings. Anyhow, the pertinent thing is that the captain of this carrier was a former pilot with friends at NAS Miramar. As part of the day's demonstrations, since we were far enough out to sea not to bother anybody, he had arranged for a supersonic F-14 flyby.

We were out on the flight deck, having enjoyed an amazing meal of pork ribs and fixings when the call came over the intercoms: "Flyby inbound, port side." I strained my eyes and spotted a moving speck on the horizon that got larger much faster than logic dictated it should.

Now I've been to plenty of airshows in my life. I've seen the Blue Angels, the Thunderbirds, and numerous other aerobatic teams and demonstrations. One thing they all have in common is that planes are loving loud. Whether it's a modern jet engine or a 50 year old radial propeller plane, the act of drawing a plane through the sky seems to require that the craft howl its defiance to the world, singing a "gently caress you" to gravity in the key of thousands of horsepower. That's what made this Tomcat's approach so eerie. It closed in complete silence. All around me were the sounds of people chatting and finishing their meals, the ocean splashing about, but nothing at all from this tremendous force of technology bearing down on us. As it drew nearby, it seemed that time itself slowed down. My head turned to track the craft in slow motion as my ears struggled to catch a strain of the sound that this unnatural beast must surely be making. Many others on deck had not paid attention to the announcements and were blissfully unaware of the F-14's approach, even as it passed a scant few hundred yards away, but the Tomcat would not be ignored.

--BOOM--

Oh sure, it seems like a simple enough thing when written down, and most of us are conceptually aware of how a sonic boom is formed, but I don't know that anything could quite prepare one for the reality of the experience. Children screamed. People fainted. All across the ship, a palpable wave of force shook us to our very core.

I doubt that I ever in my life will witness a furious Norse god hammering out a lightning bolt on his divine anvil... but I'm pretty sure I know exactly what it would sound like.

-----

Having lost his advantage, Wild Weasel heads back down to the deck and tries to lose his plane in the ground clutter. Ace walks Lady Jaye through using the Sky Striker's advanced radar systems to scan the terrain and filter out any objects which are moving at a different relative velocity than their craft. In his hurry to escape, Wild Weasel doesn't notice that his course is carrying him out over open ocean. With no civilians in the line of fire, Ace's options open up...

Rather than continuing to flee, the Rattler makes a bold move.

While evading, the Sky Striker's radar loses track of the Cobras. It seems Wild Weasel had one more trick up his sleeve.

Ace's hunch pays off, and he catches up to the Cobra plane over a scrapyard. With no civilians to worry about, he readies the last of his radar-guided missiles, but Wild Weasel salvos his remaining missiles as well!

Tune in next time, when there'll be Drednoks and poo poo!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

I hope y'all will forgive a bit of a digression tonight. Who else remembers The 'Nam?

At the time it was launched, Vietnam nostalgia was at a high. Movies like Platoon and Hamburger Hill were at the theaters and Tour of Duty was on TV. As comics go, it was fairly forgettable, which is a shame. The 'Nam launched with a high concept premise which didn't really translate to a comic publishing model.

So the idea was to have the comic move in real time. Each issue equals 30 days, and the run of seven years would cover the extent of the American involvement in the war. While the comic did reach 84 issues, the idea of moving in real time fell apart at some point, to the extent that the contemporary editor expressed some surprise that the title was being cancelled after issue #84. After the initial year or so of good buzz, The 'Nam dropped in circulation as the renewed interest in Vietnam waned and eventually comics entered the black hole of the '90s where nothing of quality escaped.

Anyhow, despite it's failings, The 'Nam did a lot of neat stuff. The initial art direction stated that the characters themselves should be drawn in an exaggerated, caricature-like style. Notice the smooth lines and gentle angles on the newbie Ed Marks.

In contrast, equipment and weapons were drawn in a severely realistic style.

Anyhow, Marvel's started putting it up on their online Unlimited service, so maybe I'll do some 'Nam posts when I need a diversion from G.I. Joe. Or maybe I'll do some other stuff. There's a ton of quality comics out there, and I can only scratch the surface.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

Nipponophile posted:

I hope y'all will forgive a bit of a digression tonight. Who else remembers The 'Nam?

I do. I think I still have the first edition trade paperback.

Nipponophile posted:

At the time it was launched, Vietnam nostalgia was at a high. Movies like Platoon and Hamburger Hill were at the theaters and Tour of Duty was on TV. As comics go, it was fairly forgettable, which is a shame. The 'Nam launched with a high concept premise which didn't really translate to a comic publishing model.

So the idea was to have the comic move in real time. Each issue equals 30 days, and the run of seven years would cover the extent of the American involvement in the war. While the comic did reach 84 issues, the idea of moving in real time fell apart at some point, to the extent that the contemporary editor expressed some surprise that the title was being cancelled after issue #84. After the initial year or so of good buzz, The 'Nam dropped in circulation as the renewed interest in Vietnam waned and eventually comics entered the black hole of the '90s where nothing of quality escaped.

I really think it started falling apart after the initial writer Doug Murray left. After that, Marvel really had no idea what to do with it, such as including the Punisher in a few of them and trying to tie the comic to the Marvel universe.

Nipponophile posted:

Anyhow, despite it's failings, The 'Nam did a lot of neat stuff. The initial art direction stated that the characters themselves should be drawn in an exaggerated, caricature-like style. Notice the smooth lines and gentle angles on the newbie Ed Marks.

In contrast, equipment and weapons were drawn in a severely realistic style.

This is actually a trademark of Michael Golden. It works because the caricature allows him to express a lot of emotion and the contrast of the human characters and the hard lines of equipment make them more distinct from the rest of the art work. There's some wild panels in the 'Nam, like a dream sequence in the third issue with a sweeping AK. I was a bit disappointed that he only did the covers of G.I. Joe and never the interior artwork. There's a few of those that I still have to wonder how he did it, because they have a depth of field that is hard to do in illustration and, I assume, he was using animation cel sheets.

Although, looking at these panels, I wonder now if this would benefit from digital color remastering. It would make certain things come more alive, but I'd fear it would lose some of the abstractness, such as the orange and reds in that card-playing scene.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Somehow in all that, I managed to forget to mention that The 'Nam was edited by Larry Hama, our G.I. Joe writer, which was the whole point of me bringing it up in the first place.

Before G.I. Joe launched, Hama had been working solely as an editor, but was desperate to get back into the creative side of things. He has explained in interviews that no one liked working on licensed properties both because of oversight by the licensing company and because the licensing fees meant less money was available for the creative teams. When Marvel went looking for a G.I. Joe writer, every single writer in the office turned it down. They then went office to office asked every editor until reaching Hama, the very last in line. At that point, he said he was so eager for a full-time writing job that he would have written Barbie if he'd gotten the offer.

After the success of G.I. Joe, Larry Hama went on to write several of Marvel's more traditional books, including Wolverine and The Avengers, but his lasting legacy will always be his stories of Roadblock and friends.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

I loved The Nam, and read it faithfully for a couple of years. Another great comic by Larry Hama.

Only problem is, as noted, the real-time thing didn't work well with comics. A year is a long time in real life, but that's only 12 issues for a character to come into your life, do poo poo, and then disappear.

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

When I was a kid I had subscriptions to G.I Joe, G.I. Joe Special Missions, and The 'Nam. drat this thread brings back some memories :D

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

Nipponophile did you ever read Nth Man? I only got a couple issues, but it seemed kinda crazy in a good way.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

Shithead Deluxe posted:

Nipponophile did you ever read Nth Man? I only got a couple issues, but it seemed kinda crazy in a good way.

The Nth Man is great although I'm thinking the problem is that it hasn't been collected in a trade paperback or, to my knowledge, released on the Marvel Unlimited online service. The only way to get it right now is either resort to :filez: or hunt down all the physical copies, including the "Marvel Presents..." short, and scan them if he wanted to cover them.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

Something just came to my memory, but I believe Doug Murray also wrote Mark Hazzard: MERC for Marvel's New Universe line. It concerned the life of an American professional mercenary and his family life, friends, and his jobs. It didn't last long, I think being cancelled before the first major New Universe event, the Pitt miniseries a.k.a. the explosion of Pittsburgh, since the main character wasn't superpowered. I would have to wonder if it's available online through Marvel at this point, since it's largely forgotten.

The thing I remember the most of it was the ending the main character is killed in the 13th issue or so by his ex-wife's new husband, who made a deal with the Iranians and double-crossed him. However, this isn't the last issue, since there's was the first and only annual issue of Merc, which dealt with Mark's comrades going to Afghanistan to help out the Mujaheddin fight against the Soviets. That issue ends with a random stranger receiving a message via a pigeon that the friends are now committed to this goal and are taking the fight to the Bear on their borders, with a single panel showing them overrunning a mechanized border unit, or die trying. It was such a nihilistic turn.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

New Universe as a whole was pretty grim. I started reading Spitfire and by the sixth issue it had gone from the thrilling adventures of the hero and her student sidekicks to a series where the main antagonist is beaten to death with a softball bat and every single sidekick is either maimed or killed in the space of two issues.

Still, the fact that a body will rise to the surface after a few days even if weighted down and dumped in the water is a fact of dubious veracity I learned at the age of 10 thanks to that series :science:

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...

If you haven't done it already for the last thread, I can really recommend the issue "Silent Interlude". No dialogue, all visual story telling. One of the best comics I think I have seen of the 80's.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The Dark Project posted:

If you haven't done it already for the last thread, I can really recommend the issue "Silent Interlude". No dialogue, all visual story telling. One of the best comics I think I have seen of the 80's.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3604646&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post428970009

Yep, in the old thread. So good.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

In honor of Trumps Super Tuesday domination please skip ahead to issue 100 which is some of the finest social satire in a comic designed to sell toys ever written :911:

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 2, 2016

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Smiling Jack posted:

In honor of Trumps Super Tuesday domination please skip ahead to issue 100 which is some of the finest social satire in a comic designed to sell toys ever written :911:

I *can* see Trump (Drumpf) spending large amounts of taxpayer dollars to build a laser to carve his face on the moon.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

I didn't quite get it as a kid, but I love that they wrote Cobra as a cross between the Nazi party and Amway.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Cobra Commander explicitly references multi-level marketing at several points.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

The whole Springfield location was great. It's like, it's so obvious what is going on here (cobra logos everywhere) and yet they have ridiculous camouflage for all sorts of things.

I got the sense that there were residents that had no clue what was going on and it must have been so confusing to see HISS tanks rolling out of a parking garage.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Smiling Jack posted:

Cobra Commander explicitly references multi-level marketing at several points.

e: This sorta percolated into the TV show, too. I remember one episode Cobra stages a telethon to collect money from criminal organizations around the world for a worthy cause (they stole the complete computer files of the FBI and were going to release them publicly if they raised a billion dollars.) I saw Destro in a tux and realized his face is identical to Mr.47 from the Hitman games. It was also a running joke on the show that Cobra minions are unionized, and I think at one point they reveal that Cobra has some sort of fraternity/sorority outreach program?

e2: Did Lady Jaye get her name from a Rolling Stones song?

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 2, 2016

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

e: This sorta percolated into the TV show, too. I remember one episode Cobra stages a telethon to collect money from criminal organizations around the world for a worthy cause (they stole the complete computer files of the FBI and were going to release them publicly if they raised a billion dollars.) I saw Destro in a tux and realized his face is identical to Mr.47 from the Hitman games. It was also a running joke on the show that Cobra minions are unionized, and I think at one point they reveal that Cobra has some sort of fraternity/sorority outreach program?

In the cartoon, Shipwreck at one point is going through a Cobra barracks and picks up some marketing material and realizes that Cobra has a better healthcare plan than the Joes do.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Young Freud posted:

In the cartoon, Shipwreck at one point is going through a Cobra barracks and picks up some marketing material and realizes that Cobra has a better healthcare plan than the Joes do.

probably a worse pension plan though!

:thejoke: I'm sure

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

SH-BOOOOOM

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Hey I think I mentioned this in the last thread but just wanted to mention that for every post in here there's probably 20 more lurking and enjoying this thread, we just don't have anything constructive to add. Just wanted to say thanks for bringing this back.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

I do appreciate the kind words, and I owe you guys an explanation of why my update schedule has been completely wrecked.

See, originally I had planned to do all this as a downtime thing at work. When we don't have any big projects going on, I spend a few hours a day sitting at my PC waiting for something to break so I can go fix it. That's why I have time to post nonsense on internet forums, like now for example. Unfortunately, not long after I started my previous thread, the office web filter started blocking imgur and every other reliable image host I know of, which hosed that plan right up.

So now, I do all the image cropping and uploading from home during my own precious free time. Normally, even that's not a huge deal, since this is something I'm really into and I enjoy sharing it with others. Unfortunately, the past few months have been kind of a massive shitshow at work, and when I get home in the evenings I am utterly drained to a level that I can't even describe. Anything more complicated than playing a video game or reading a comic book is off the table. Even the more complicated games are too much.

One way or another, the work situation will eventually sort itself out, and I'll free up some time to get back to weekly updates, but until then things will be sporadic as all get out. I appreciate whatever patience you can give me.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Nipponophile posted:

One way or another, the work situation will eventually sort itself out, and I'll free up some time to get back to weekly updates, but until then things will be sporadic as all get out. I appreciate whatever patience you can give me.

I don't care if you have to start a new thread for every update, they're worth reading. LW might care, I guess, though :v:

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Psion posted:

probably a worse pension plan though!

:thejoke: I'm sure

In the cartoon shipwreck also goes totally insane from some COBRA mind control scheme that I don't remember the specifics of, but watching it again as an adult (I'm 35 now, and this was maybe 12 years ago) it's pretty clear that they were alluding to DTs. At least that's how I viewed it. At the very least the episode got way heavier thematically than what I thought the show was capable of. When going back to my childhood favorites I've found that Transformers the (1986) Movie is still great, but the show pretty much sucks, whereas G.I. Joe The Movie was terrible (many reasons, some actually from the backlash to Transformers) but the show and comics kicked rear end. Anyway, I wasn't well to do and it was mainly Go-Bots and bits and pieces from other stuff. That said, and I'm sure a lot of y'all can agree, it was way more fun with a hodge-podge of stuff anyway (Han and Chewie flying a beat up snowspeeder into Castle Greyskull to blow up that weird fuzzy insect hand puppet thing and its rider that I got from a yard sale, but then Cy-Kill and Leader One swoop in and are somehow buds and then the giant cardboard base I made gets lit on fire because mom left her lighter out, but it's on the porch so gently caress it, now let's bust out fireworks!!!).

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

Bulgaroctonus posted:

In the cartoon shipwreck also goes totally insane from some COBRA mind control scheme that I don't remember the specifics of, but watching it again as an adult (I'm 35 now, and this was maybe 12 years ago) it's pretty clear that they were alluding to DTs. At least that's how I viewed it.

I would suggest watching "The Prisoner" before rewatching that two-parter "No Place Like Springfield". Supposedly, the writer, Steve Gerber (who created Howard The Duck), based it heavily off that show, with the guys melting into plastic and smothering Shipwreck a direct reference to the Rovers capturing people.

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Anyway, I wasn't well to do and it was mainly Go-Bots and bits and pieces from other stuff. That said, and I'm sure a lot of y'all can agree, it was way more fun with a hodge-podge of stuff anyway (Han and Chewie flying a beat up snowspeeder into Castle Greyskull to blow up that weird fuzzy insect hand puppet thing and its rider that I got from a yard sale, but then Cy-Kill and Leader One swoop in and are somehow buds and then the giant cardboard base I made gets lit on fire because mom left her lighter out, but it's on the porch so gently caress it, now let's bust out fireworks!!!).

I'm convinced that stuff like Lego Dimensions and Disney Infinity was conceived by someone who mixed and matched difference brands lines and such. Amiibo might have done it first, but it's all Nintendo characters, at least with Infinity it's Disney meets Marvel meets Star Wars and Lego Dimensions it's a hodge-podge of everything Warner Bros puts out plus some exceptions like Doctor Who and the Simpsons. A bit with the same thing with Garry's Mod and SFM, where people just wait to rip models out of games to gently caress around with (and, considering the amount of SFM porn, literally). I wonder if it had to do with the over-commercialization of our childhoods, were we had all these competing brands and franchises vying for our attention, because I don't recall boomers doing that. It usually was just cowboys vs. Indians, space patrol, spies, soldiers, and the occasional rescue workers. I mean the closest I can think of is G.I. Joe running into Barbie. :cheeky:

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Huh. I always thought "The Prisoner" was the show the "The Fugitive" was based on, but Netflix says its scifi. When I'm finally back to a place with wifi, I need to check that out, late sixties BBC stuff is usually pretty good (I have no comment on Dr. Who, I mean the Avengers and a few others).
On the second point, as everyone already knows, in the early '80's the FCC tossed out the law banning cartoons from being glorified 22 minute commercials for toys, so yeah, toy companies went ape poo poo. Only difference between then and now is how blatant it was. With few exceptions, I think we didn't really get a decent (superhero/mainstream action)cartoon until the early '90's Batman, which still had toys but didn't seem like it's only reason for being was to sell toys.
Oh, and I saw the huge Infinity display in Target the other day, and that looks like a cluster gently caress, but also expensive, and probably fun. I dunno, but it was definetly made by children of the eighties. If you'll excuse me now, my daughter and I are going to make stop-motion movies with about forty five years of accumulated crap, keeping the tradition alive!!!

Nomad175
Oct 14, 2012

By not beating me, he has beaten me.

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Huh. I always thought "The Prisoner" was the show the "The Fugitive" was based on, but Netflix says its scifi.

Trust me when I say The Prisoner and The Fugitive have nothing to do with each other.

Actually, The Fugitive was loosely based on a real murder case (although the guy in question, Dr. Sam Shepherd, was never actually on the run from the law)

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Nomad175 posted:

Trust me when I say The Prisoner and The Fugitive have nothing to do with each other.

Actually, The Fugitive was loosely based on a real murder case (although the guy in question, Dr. Sam Shepherd, was never actually on the run from the law)

I'm familiar with the Shefered case and The Fugitive, just had crossed wires in my memory conflating poo poo. Like I said, as soon as I get home tomorrow I'm checking out The Prisoner, it sounds like my poo poo completely.

E: ^Sorry for the double post, I'm on my phone. Also, has anyone done a LR of early Punisher? I found a bunch of The Punisher Magzine, which I'm sure are just B&W reprints, two at a time, in larger magazine form of early stuff, but what's weird is that in the copyright no mention is made of when the stories were originally published, which Marvel has always done. The mags I have have are from '89 to '91, but I'm sure it's earlier stuff because it's all Mike Zeck and Whilce Portacio art. Point being, anyone read the issue where Frank pursues a cartel into Mexico, meets a shaman, takes peyote, has hosed up visions/flashbacks, then (while still tripping fuckin' balls) fights off the cartel with a Sharps rifle and a cannon from "la conquistadores?" It's not terribly compelling now, but it was a straight mind-gently caress to an eight year old.

Bulgaroctonus fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Mar 27, 2016

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Nomad175 posted:

In a too-bizarre-for-the-movie twist though, he did become a pro wrestler.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

chairface posted:

In a too-bizarre-for-the-movie twist though, he did become a pro wrestler.

I couldn't believe this until I looked into it. He supposedly invented the "mandible claw" that Mankind used.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Now where did I leave off... Hmm... Oh, right... Let's Read Issue 35!!?

You'll remember that last issue the Joes had sent a team to investigate New Moon, Colorado, a city suspected of being a Cobra front. Things rapidly went south, and the team is forced to escape.

Cobra gyrocopters close in, but Roadblock does his best to keep the skies clear.

Before Stall can get back to the van, he takes a bullet through the shoulder from a Cobra sniper.

Back at the military hospital, Hawk has an unexpected visitor...

He tells Hawk that Duke and Snake-Eyes have been running rogue operations, and Hawk is less than pleased. Hawk has been trying to keep watch on the shadowy cabal of generals known as the Jugglers, and unsanctioned missions may tip his hand. Kamakura is disappointed to hear that from Hawk and expresses his concern that maybe Hawk is more worried about his own skin.

As he leaves, Kamakura lets drop that the Jugglers expect to see Hawk in two weeks, and they will require an accounting.

Wraith's boasts are baked up by some real skills, as he seems to have Snake-Eyes on the ropes.

Back in the van, as they attempt to rendezvous with Snake-Eyes, tensions are running high.

Man, those guys have never gotten along, but it's just all blowing up now. And speaking of blowing up, Roadblock drops another few choppers with a little help.

They're closing in on Snake Eyes, but will they get there in time? Things are looking bad...

I guess they will. Wraith slips away as Roadblock is distracted checking on Snake Eyes. The Joes let him go as they only have minutes to reach the LZ for the evac chopper. That's not going to be easy though. Major Bludd and Scrap-Iron are in hot pursuit in a couple of HISS tanks.

As usual, the cavalry arrives just in the nick of time.

Bludd is quickly on the comm to Cobra HQ to report that the town has been compromised and to request a "shutdown". In the chopper, Wild Bill notices a massive heat spike beneath them and worries that it might indicate SAM emplacements. Not quite...

Everything is shaping up to be a complete disaster for G.I. Joe.

But wait, it gets worse.

The footage has been leaked to news networks, framing the story as an attempt to capture a Cobra operative that spiraled out of control, and the Pentagon is demanding a public apology of the team. Needless to say, General Colton is not happy.

Unfortunately, no one can answer Flint's question.

The field team prepares to return to HQ, but the trainee Stall won't be joining them.

:iceburn: there, Mirage.

Let's check in with Destro in his role as acting Cobra Commander while the real one is imprisoned.

Destro's preparations are interrupted by the arrival of the Cobra doctor Scalpel, who requests a private conversation. It seems recent medical testing on the Baroness has turned up something unusual.

Man, talk about your cliffhangers! I can't wait to see what Alexander does with this information.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I don't care for this radical change in art style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Does anyone else hear the "you don't know me" line in the voice of mrs pancakes from Rick and Morty?

Just me?

Ok..

• Locked thread