Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Hah, wow. I admit I have never done a direct run but I usually take like 20-40 hours to beat bg1. I'm going to roll an archer and see how fast I can do it.

For maximum fun get Kivan and Coran along for the ride. Between those two and a PC archer hardly anything can get within melee range.

Edit: Uhh, maybe I installed one NPC mod too many. I was going to recruit Branwen but when I got to the carnival I found her "dead" while still turned to stone.

This ever happen to you? I guess I can always go with Viconia.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Min Fawshaw is alive and well but has been captured by a mysterious mage!

Breaking free with the help of Imoen our party adds in Jaheria and Minsc and start exploring the dungeon looking for a way out. Sadly Jaheria dies to the Ilyich fight because I wasn't paying attention to her health and we will have to go on without her.

We take on the Cambion and he has Sarevoks sword!

We meet some Dryads along the way and get some items and head to the lower levels.

A Japanese Stereotype named Yoshimo joins the party but I don't know how long we will keep him since we already have Imoen to do thief stuff.

We find some dead body on the table in this room but no one recognizes him.

We escape the dungeon into the welcome glare of daylight!

Imoen is arrested along with the powerful mage and we find outselves in a strange new city where magic is illegal.

We go to a circus and stop a mad illusionist and pickup a winged elf along the way.

Some Galen Bayle guy says he can help us rescue Imoen and we agree before we set off and stop some slaves at the nearest tavern. We add Anomen warrior preist of helm to our party.

Candlekeep sure does look different than I remember it.

We find a weird talking sword in the sewers leading to a slaver compound and we begin the grisly work of dealing with them

But our two fighter types get magically held and both die! We have to carefully use magic to defeat the remaining foes.

We resurrect our two fighters only to realize we left the talking sword inside the slaver compound. Back we go and hope no one took it. Alas we run into some brutes in the street and Anomen dies again. We get the sword and go and bring him back to life but there is some thugs waiting for us outside the temple.

Our party makes their way to the seat of government to hope for permission to use magic in the city. A lot of our battles in the city so far have been made difficult by the fact that we can't use magic without getting arrested.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

At this pace you'll be through ToB by Thursday.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Punchy the Monk has returned to Candlekeep

tl;dr version: I do a million sidequests in Baldur's Gate.

The mercenaries at the Iron Throne don't stand a chance.

Now I'm on my way back to Candlekeep.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Litany Unheard posted:

At this pace you'll be through ToB by Thursday.

When you are unemployed you have all the time in the world to play dumb games.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Doug the Inquisitor has cleared the mines.

Also I gave up on Branwen and went for Viconia. So much for the Roleplayer honor.

Also, this cow lived. Truly, we are the greatest heroes.

Semi-mental
Feb 5, 2007
You must be a couple of pansies
N'ice Gye, the elf stalker that I started over Christmas in anticipation of the thread, bit it to the red wizards after I got cocky. Well actually technically I was killed by a tasloi, following a confusion from the red wizards. Quite frustrating as I had cleared the bandit camp and was just farming xp to get Imoen back to her thief skills. And it was a loving tasloi!

Still playing that save a bit as I was enjoying it, but I'm re-entering the fray with Slugger, half-Orc Cleric of Lathander. Currently hanging out in beregost. Will post some screenshots once things actually start happening.

Finlay
Oct 4, 2005

Its time to settle things like real men.
Just completed the bandit camp, about to try the cloakwood. I'm starting to run out of cannon fodder.

Trail of the Dead:
Imoen to hobgoblins
Xzar to Tarnesh
Montaron, Khalid and Jaheria to Tristan and Isolde
Neera to Red Wizards
Garrick to Skeletons
Minsc and Edwin to Ogre Berserker
Kagain and Viconia to Allister the bounty hunter
Dynaheir to kobolds
Rasaad by mine traps
Xan by kobold commando
Dorn was killed by chill hobgoblin poison

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Finlay posted:

Trail of the Dead:
Imoen to hobgoblins
Xzar to Tarnesh
Neera to Red Wizards
Garrick to Skeletons
Dynaheir to kobolds
Rasaad by mine traps
Xan by kobold commando

You're not using resurrection services?

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

They got whacked cuz they were weak! Plus there's that challenge to not to raise any dead party members.

Keep it up, Finlay, you've always got summon wands to fill out the ranks!

As for Doug the Inquisitor

OH GOD!

I really love the little setpieces this game has. Three gibberling hordes in one spot, and nearby is a bloodstained rock where they gather to FEAST.

Anyway, the bandit camp has been cleared. Taugoz helpfully donated his full plate to the cause. BG2 stat Jaheira is that much more tanky.

Doug the Inqusitor stands poised to take on the Cloakwood Mines.

I'm really liking BG2 Jaheira. I was planning on swapping her for Yeslick, but he'd need the dex bracers to be tanky while she's got that slot free to use the gauntlets of ogre strength and become a true bruiser.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Punchy the Monk has completed Baldur's Gate!

I rush through Candlekeep pretty quick, only stopping to pick up the Str and Wis tomes as well as killing these mercenaries.

Back in the city, I don't even bother screenshot killing Sarevok's goons or crashing the ceremony.

Here's what Punchy looks like just before the final battle, buffed to the gills with potions. A nice thing about monks is they can use warrior-only potions.

After isolating and killing Semaj, I summon some help (forget Battlemaster honor) and Jaheira's dryad almost immediately sets up the win by Holding Sarevok

The remainder of the fight isn't worth talking about.

Honors: Ironling, Purist, Roleplayer, Honorable Trader
Dishonors: Don't Hurt Me! (not intentionally, but I was halfway through the game before I realized I wasn't on Core rules)

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

They got whacked cuz they were weak! Plus there's that challenge to not to raise any dead party members.

Keep it up, Finlay, you've always got summon wands to fill out the ranks!

You're right. And it is interesting! Hope it works out.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Update for Dostngosp Teachevils.

Since I've cleared the mines and reached chapter 3, SCS moves 2 groups of assassins (Molkar and Lamalha's groups) from their frankly bizarre vanilla locations, (They're hired by the Iron Throne but are hanging out in the middle of nowhere) and they can now ambush you as you move between areas of the map.

Molkar's group was the first to turn up. They posed little threat and died quickly. While wandering the map hunting for Lamalha's group, I finished off some other loose ends.

I had to use all 4 of my potions of mirrored eyes, but I managed to kill all the basilisks in the east. It's a good job I had them, turns out Rage doesn't block petrification. Thankfully I double-checked the Berserker kit description before engaging a basilisk, that would have been an embarrassing death.

If there's a more satisfying way for Mutamin to die than to his own basilisk, then I haven't found it.

While in the area, I dealt with this group of adventurers. They (and 2 local cave bears) put up a good fight, but I won.

I also cleared the Ulcaster Ruins. The SCS-enhanced wolf has a ton of HP, and some spell-like abilities. Ichyard (The skeleton warrior outside the ruins) is also enhanced, but isn't as tanky. He hits a lot harder though, and a lot more often too. Both went down after tough fights.

Finally, I encountered this idiot near Firewine. He died quickly, and I got his excellent gauntlets.

Next time, finishing off the last few wilderness areas (and hunting Lamalha at the same time) and the Bandit Camp.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Congrats Mountaineer.

Min is still doing some chapter 2 / 3 sidequests.

Finished: Slavers Inn/ Slavers Stronghold, Bridge Murders, Circus, Trademeet, Harpers / Jaheria Harpers.

I am playing on core rules this time but I realized some option I had checked in the bg2.ini file from an older install had been giving me maximum HP so I guess I am disqualified from Purist.

Here is our hero right now.

Sporting a Robe of Vecna, Amulet of Power, Ring of Protection +2, Ring of Wizardry, Cloak of the Sewers.

Probably going to do De'arnise Keep next. There are a few items I would like to buy and the cash from that will help. I spent all my funds on the Robe of Vecna and paying for rescue Imoen because I wanted the Amulet of Power for obvious reasons.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

You're not disqualified from purist. BG2EE gives you max HP by default. It's one of the reasons we eliminated the max HP dishonor last year.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Oh I never knew that. I always played with Max HP mod from BG2 Tweaks so didn't even realize the EE did that.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I died again, to a bandit ambush. :rip:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Am I eligible for Purist if I'm running BGT with the fixpacks (and nothing else)?

For fun I quickly rolled a solo Wild Mage. He got surrounded by skeletons in High Hedge and died. (I wouldn't even add it to the fallen, I was just testing to make sure the game still ran.)

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Purist disallows anything that adds, removes, or alters content. Things like Tutu and BGT are fine since, really, playing BG1 with BG2 rules has been the standard for years*. I haven't played BGT so I don't know what's in the fixpacks, but as long as it's nothing more than bugfixes or convenience and quality of life improvements it's acceptable.

*Actually I think it'd be cool to have an "old school" honor for playing the original completely unmodified BG1, but someone would have to make an icon for it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
The Red Queen has left home, seen her father killed, and is about to loot his body.

I am playing with the Tweekpack and SCS installed. I realize that SCS is going to crush me, but I have a few other playthroughs cooking and I don't want to mess them up. I also used lvl1ncp mod, but I have no idea what I changed stuff too, so this should be interesting! I am going to solo for a bit to get a level or two on me, then start for real.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Rolled up an archer for a breezy guy. Might be tricky when it comes to trap filled areas later but that's a problem for future me.

Lucky...

Revenge! Let's end here for tonight.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Things go well in the keep until we face the umber hulks which get a surround on my melee and hit them to death. No one was confused due to chaotic commands but they die anyway. Min and Aerie finish them off with magic missiles and are ambushed when they try to rest and have to escape the keep. Aerie rezed Anomen when we are outside and then we get back Keldorn and Misnc as the party decides to cast invis to sneak back into the keep incase the yaun ti are still around. We get our gear back and rez Yoshimo then take out the troll leader and finish the job with no more deaths.

Finlay
Oct 4, 2005

Made it to Baldur's Gate

Does anyone know if these bullshit Wyverns were added by SCS or Dark Horizons?

After that I wasn't taking any chances on these fuckers.

I'll probably recruit Alora and attempt Durlags tower before doing the rest of the city.

Trail of the Dead
Imoen to hobgoblins
Xzar to Tarnesh
Neera to Red Wizards
Garrick to Skeletons
Dynaheir to kobolds
Rasaad by mine traps
Xan by kobold commando
Branwen, Eldoth and Ajantis were butchered by the Wyverns
Shar-teel was hit with a critical hit by Kivan in her challenge fight and died
Quayle was killed by Mustard Jellies in the Wizards tower.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Going into the Planar Sphere was a disaster. In the battle against the halfings Anomen was dominated and others were confused / held until they died. Min Fawshaw saved the day with some feebleminds on about half of the halfings and just shot some useless spells at the halfling mage until his spell turning was brought down. Her being improved invis kept her safe and then when Anomen came to his senses him and Yoshimo killed them all.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

It's all over for Min Farshaw.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Death by a thousand cuts gaze attacks?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I got held, so I am like well I will have Keldorn dispel magic. Well that dispelled my stoneskin and I was still held. It was over quickly from there.

For my next attempt I am not doing purist and am going to install mods and go FMT and just tear the sword coast to hell like only a modded solo fmt can.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Joe Average finds out the city is even worse than the countryside!

First there were more dumb ogre mages with their half baked schemes. The sewer idiot sent carrion crawlers against a tank with free movement. Turns out they don't do poo poo for damage when they can't hold their target. The gang of 5 fell for the good ole fire immune pointwoman bait followed by a rain of fireballs. Forgot to use remove fear first but who cares, they all died.

Then there were a bunch of humorless lunatics to deal with.

It was a joke, lady! What would Joe do with a tome of whatchamacallit?

Here's my excuse: your door was wide open! What is this, some "I pinkie swear it was self-defense against trespassers, flaming fist officer! I did not lure them in any way!"?

Some people just can't take a good ribbing. Does everyone here have a stick up their rear end? Maybe a bit of web and mass projectiles will knock some humility into you.

Anyway, there is 1 potion of clarity you can buy in the city and I use it on my tank to take on 3 problematic mages who use confusion and cannot be indiscriminately mass nuked because of bystanders.

First, the poison assassin. Bait the confusion cast and take him out from afar.

Next, the ogre gauntlets psychotic duo. The mast made Khalid walk forward like an idiot into the range of the confusion spell when I ordered him to attack because he had no line of sight but I quickly managed to charm the nearby civilians with the nymph's cloak and kept them away from him until the regained his senses.

Finally, the mage who cursed Brielbara's kid. He unfortunately surrendered to Jaheira when she was mid swing. Oops.

Anyway, more dumb mini quests until it was time to say hello to the iron throne.

Fire immune party + mass potions of explosions = fun. It's a lot like fishing with dynamite.

Finally, back home to sane people!

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Tough luck, Cheese, getting Held is the woooorst. So many runs of mine ended like that in previous threads.

Speaking of! Doug the Inquisitor

Closest I came to a game-over this run. Misremembered where a web trap was in Cloakwood 2, got webbed and surrounded by ettercaps. Luckily none procced poison and the rest of the party was far enough away to kill one of the ettercaps and cut their damage by half. Lived just long enough to make a save and retreat.

Still drat scary!

Anyway, Imoen hit level 6 and I was tired of not having a wizard so I dual-classed her a level earlier than I usually do. I'll just have to stock up on thievery and perception potions for Durlags. She should still have enough skill left for all non-expansion traps and locks once she unlocks her thief levels.

Anywho, it's getting late so I'm gonna call it a night here rather than right before the mines. I'll leave you here with one of my usual love letters to the summon skeleton spell.

So many enemy spells render you as good as dead in this game. Hold Person, Dire Charm, Rigid Thinking, Horror, Confusion, Chaos; stuff like that. Just one failed save and your main PC can't retreat or defend themselves. And don't forget the basilisk's stone gaze. But the skeleton doesn't give a poo poo about any of that. It's immune to it all and kinda sturdy to boot! Any time you're gonna face a siren, dryad, basilisk, ghoul, ghast, wizard or cleric assassin, just plop one down ahead of you and watch it absorb everything. Or at least last long enough to get the most dangerous spells out of the way.

Let's all give thanks to this tireless, fearless, forever faithful friend: the skeleton.

Doug the Inquisitor and company are gonna hunt some Wyverns so Coran can stop whining

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 5, 2016

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Skeletons are great! My favorite trick is casting Stinking Cloud and sending in a team of skeletons to do the dirty work. Who needs to Save vs. Death when you're already dead? :dunkedon:

But only do this in BG1. For some reason in BG2 skeletons get mad when you send them into a cloud of gas that doesn't harm them in any way.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Goku Superman the Half Orc Dwarven Defender is setting off! He plans to dual class to mage but he needs to get 17 int from the book first.

Not getting purist for this run!

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Goku Cheaterman. :mad:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Mountaineer posted:

My heart was broken when Min died.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Mountaineer posted:

If I make a legit monk would you be mad that I am playing the same class?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Goku was deleted for cheating. Reinstalled the game with no mods except like unlimited stacks and some icewind dale casting graphics type stuff.

Elayne is a human berserker that will be playing mostly solo.

So far she is level 5 and hasn't done much of note other than get the +1 con book.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Comstar the First took me three attempts to create because I couldn't decide if I wanted to Romance or not.

Rolled a 90..3 times. Found out when you go BACK you lose the stored roll.

From one of the mods I installed (Unfinished Business maybe?), I found out that you can have spend a night with Hull after you show him your sword, and he gives you his. I did not know that.

I always feel like I have to do ALL the quests in Candlekeep, despite knowin the money and EXP is so small compared to later.

I always like the voice delivery of this line. I should one day inscribe on my tombstone.

Comstar the first.....Moving right along....

Or not.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 5, 2016

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Well I guess I should get a party and clear the Nashkel mines now. :captainpop:

Took about an hour to farm Ankegs to get to xp cap.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
I haven't played this game in a few years, and I've never tried to ironman it before ever, but what the hell.

Geti LaPoint, elven archer, is going to see how far along the Sword Coast he can get before I forget something crucial and get him killed. Got those stats on my second reroll, disqualifying me from Born Hero, but I'm running on Core Rules with no mods installed. Wish him luck, he's definitely going to need it.

Finlay
Oct 4, 2005

Laric the blade has been slain, by guards in the merchant counting house of all things.

I forgot to drink a potion of defence and he was surrounded and slain. He just couldn't kill them fast enough.

Next up I might try something beefier, but I want to try a Red Dragon Disciple or shadowdancer too as I haven't been one before. I'll also probably install the random treasure mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

If I make a legit monk would you be mad that I am playing the same class?

Why would I? It doesn't matter what class you play. Don't let someone else's choices stop you from doing what you want.

Also, I wasn't actually mad about Goku. I just couldn't help making an intended-to-be-friendly jab about how broken the character was. Modded OP characters are allowed, they're just disqualified from a bunch of honors (which are purely optional anyway), and are kind of lame in general. Sorry if I seemed too critical.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 5, 2016

• Locked thread