Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Young Freud posted:

Cyberdungeon as a genre is virtually unknown in the West, but large chunks of Japanese gaming and fiction is based around it: from The Screamer ("Dehumanize yourself and face the bloodshed") to Megami Tensei to the dreadful Metal Dungeon as well as Blame! and GunHED.

This is definitely the first time I've heard the term "cyberdungeon".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

AweStriker posted:

All the world is a cyberdungeon if you try hard enough

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

AweStriker posted:

I'll admit, I'm not sure if the Japanese actually use that term for sci-fi/cyberpunk dungeon crawlers, but it definitely came from one of those works and aptly describes the genre: BLAME!'s subtitle is "Adventure-seeker Killy in the Cyber Dungeon"

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I have nothing against anime; gently caress I watched Blame! last night and it got me thinking about how cool and good it is when the entire setting is a megadungeon. Cthulhutech is a mashup of a handful of animes, covered in Lovecraft sauce, for the same reason everything is covered in Lovecraft sauce now: the Lovecraft mythos is public domain. It's very cynical.

So how about this: Rei is undead and if her cockpit isn't kept at below freezing temperatures, she'll melt

I didn't realize Blame! had an anime, was told to check netflix and lo and behold. Fatal and Friends thread, you bring me so much joy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bieeardo posted:

"We're not an adventuring company, per se. We're more of a sapphic sellsword co-operative."

My players have forced me to think about how fantasy kingdoms handle succession when the princess who is the crown heir marries a woman. :v:

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

JcDent posted:

Lol if you think that either Serbians or AH had enough tanks to put a Romani in (or had a tank at all). A Maxim gun or French 75, now that's something.

Right, cause in a game where my players are fighting evil nature cults historical accuracy is my number one concern. That being said, any form of artillery works as well.

If you're going to allow for the existence of magic and sanity destroying monsters, it really isn't that much of a stretch to allow for a more significant tank presence in the forces of the central powers

Hipster Occultist fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 10, 2018

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Cythereal posted:

My players have forced me to think about how fantasy kingdoms handle succession when the princess who is the crown heir marries a woman. :v:

Depends on how quick she is with the guillotine. The faster you remove the heads of ambitious nobility, the happier the others are to agree with whatever line of succession you come up with.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Cythereal posted:

Adopt a noble child from whichever barony got overrun by a skeleton army most recently.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Prism posted:

Adopt a noble child from whichever barony got overrun by a skeleton army most recently.

wiegieman posted:

Depends on how quick she is with the guillotine. The faster you remove the heads of ambitious nobility, the happier the others are to agree with whatever line of succession you come up with.

It was Eberron so I just invented a spell that forces two willing people to conceive a child together, provided one of them has a uterus to house it. Fluffed it as a magical treatment for fertility issues among nobles and royalty, that it allowed two women to have biological children together was an unexpected but welcome side effect.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cythereal posted:

Immediate conversion to a radically decentralized cooperative state, obviously. If anything, that should've been done before anyone got married.

The low-magic solution would be to legally adopt the healthiest, most intelligent and most stable child of a cadet branch of the family tree winner of a tournament of honor, courage and kindness.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

THE DREAMLANDS EXPRESS – PART EIGHT

loving Sarnathians

As the train leaves Xura, the Sarnathian delegation hatch an awful plan. They intend to murder the Beings of Ib before they can convene with the king. At the moment, it looks like it'll take the Beings another thousand years to send a new delegation. Why not let it be someone else's problem? They propose this ingenious scheme of theirs to their chosen dreamer over dinner.

If the dreamer refuses to join them or otherwise expresses disapproval of the plan, they immediately back out in case the dreamer tattles on them. Haha, kill the Beings? What a funny joke! You didn't take us seriously, did you? Here, have another drink. However, if the investigator agrees then the Sarnathians show no mercy. They storm the Padded Compartment and kill every Being inside. The Beings fight bravely to the last, possessed with a strange confidence. The Squeaker manages to squeal one final DOOM before it too is crushed underfoot.

If Henri finds out what's going on he stops the massacre immediately. Otherwise, he is unable to throw an important diplomatic delegation like the Sarnathians off his train, and opts instead to confine them to their compartments until they can be handed over to Kuranes for judgement.

Aira

Aira is a tranquil landscape of rolling hills and sighing breeze. It was the dream of the shepherd boy Iranon, but Aira and its people stopped existing as soon as he stopped believing in his dreams. Henri stops the train here because he hopes that one day, if he keeps returning here, someone will remember Iranon's dream and the people of Aira will return. There is a broken marble pillar with an inscription dedicated to Aira's memory; Henri disembarks the train and stands before the pillar with his head bowed. He quietly returns to the train after that.

In Memory of Aira posted:

Here once stood Aira of the golden domes, the dream of the shepherd boy Iranon.

As long as Iranon sought Aira he remained eternally young and, for that long, Aira flourished.

When Iranon lost hope he turned old overnight and walked into the Bnazic quicksands. That night Aira and all her people vanished.

Oh Dreamers hold fast to your dreams, lest they too perish.

If the dreamers didn't solve the murder, the cats disembark here. Otherwise, they hold a funeral for Blackjack. A double-line of cats marches off the train bearing Blackjack's body, his mother Sophie following behind. They dig a grave in the soft soil with their claws and place him there to find peace underneath the golden grasses. If your players are sensitive types I'd twist the knife by having the cats invite them to say a few words for Blackjack.

Henri reminds the dreamers that soon they'll be at the Gulf of Nodens. If the dreamers don't feel ready to go that far, the conductor is happy to store their dream artefacts in the Baggage Compartment until they do.

Sona-Nyl

Sona-Nyl is the Land of Fancy, where there is no time and no suffering. It's a civilised land and home to a graceful people. This is Mac's last stop, unless the dreamers have persuaded him that this trip should be his trip to the Gulf.

King Kuranes boards at Sona-Nyl, accompanied by his loyal knights Haragrim and Nadamens. Henri bows deeply as the king boards, and it's implied that it would be polite for the dreamers to do the same. That said, if they don't bow Kuranes is probably gracious enough to overlook such a minor sleight. The third, final and most lavish banquet is served that night. It's initially quite stuffy and formal and dreamers might want to lighten the mood. Getting Zsusza to dance is a safe bet, and if she does then she dances as if she might never dance again – as indeed she might not.

After dinner, Kuranes holds court. If consulted on Mironim-mer, he will rule that the Sarrubian broke Ulthar's law and as such must be tried in Ulthar. Ulthar does make allowances for people who have been beguiled by sorcerers, so this isn't as harsh a judgement as it might sound.

It's also finally time to sort out the delegations. Kuranes is initially taken aback by the Beings of Ib, who are far more repulsive than he expected, but he is nevertheless a just and fair king. He will also be interested in listening to the dreamers' opinion on things, and to undertake any reasonable actions they might propose. Afterwards, he takes the Sarnathians and dreamers aside to deliver his judgement.

Kuranes observes that the Beings of Ib are ugly, but that they had done nothing to deserve being attacked by Sarnath. Their demands are reasonable and the Sarnathians should endeavour to meet them; even if there's no Beings left, the money, apology and statue should be delivered to where Ib once stood. He urges the Sarnathians to relent on their stance. There are many gods in the Dreamlands, and not all of them are content to just sit back and accept prayer. Just because something has been forgotten doesn't mean it no longer exists.

The Sarnathians appear to accept Kuranes' judgement, but a simple Psychology roll indicates they're lying through their teeth. Kuranes shakes his head. loving Sarnathians. I imagine he has to put up with this poo poo every time he calls in a delegation from them. At least he won't have to put up with them for much longer. Dreamers who acted with humanity have gained a powerful ally in King Kuranes and can always enjoy his hospitality in Serranian. They also gain 1D4 SAN for putting up with the loving Sarnathians.

Serranian

The Cloud City, a huge castle complex from which King Kuranes rules half the time. It's a beautiful if probably slightly boring place. Kuranes disembarks here along with the Sarnathian delegation. The Beings of Ib stay on board the train, as they plan to return to their world through the Abyss. Somewhere in Serranian's vast libraries is a tome describing the Lover's Heart story, if the dreamers haven't discovered that yet.

This is the last stop before the Gulf of Nodens and therefore the last stop if the dreamers want to be able to ride the Express again. If they decide to end the journey here, Henri agrees that it's probably for the best, as he expects some...turbulence on this trip. He'll give each dreamer a firm handshake before he steps back aboard the train.

As the train pulls out, the clouds in the distance seem to form a massive skull with burning red stars for eyes. The train is heading straight for its maw. This is the dreamers' last chance to jump on board for the big finale.

Next time: the big finale!

Down With People fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 10, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I don't understand, do nobles in your world die? Noble metals do not corrode, why should a noble woman?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Man, Sarnath loving deserved Bokrug.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nessus posted:

Immediate conversion to a radically decentralized cooperative state, obviously. If anything, that should've been done before anyone got married.

The low-magic solution would be to legally adopt the healthiest, most intelligent and most stable child of a cadet branch of the family tree winner of a tournament of honor, courage and kindness.

You don't really need to run the actual tournament. Just scan the list of contestants and pick the youngest of three brothers.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Night10194 posted:

Repeatedly, yes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Lone Badger posted:

You don't really need to run the actual tournament. Just scan the list of contestants and pick the youngest of three brothers.
To paraphrase Lensmen: "We do this, not for the kings themselves, who wise people could pick out in their cribs; but for its benefits to those who aspire."

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Night10194 posted:

Seriously, gently caress those guys.

If I were playing this campaign I'd try and divert it so we could have a wine and cheese party as we watched the Doom from a safe distance. That'd have to be worth sanity, right? Who cares how horrific it is, you get the smug satisfaction that they got what was coming to them.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
This whole Dreamlands thing is reminding me, if you've not read any Lovecraft for whatever reason The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath is legit really great and along with The Colour Out of Space is what I'd suggest as far as "I want to read Lovecraft but like not the turboracist stuff".

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Well, this is absolutely... something.

http://www.glyphsrpg.com/

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Feinne posted:

This whole Dreamlands thing is reminding me, if you've not read any Lovecraft for whatever reason The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath is legit really great and along with The Colour Out of Space is what I'd suggest as far as "I want to read Lovecraft but like not the turboracist stuff".

Colour is great distilled cosmic horror. I'd throw The Dunwich Horror on that pile- maybe a little classist, but not as much as The Call of Cthulhu or The Horror at Red Hook are racist.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Hipster Occultist posted:

Right, cause in a game where my players are fighting evil nature cults historical accuracy is my number one concern. That being said, any form of artillery works as well.

If you're going to allow for the existence of magic and sanity destroying monsters, it really isn't that much of a stretch to allow for a more significant tank presence in the forces of the central powers

I'll accept existence of Cthulhu before agreeing to competence or tanks on the side of AH.

Besides, when the authors seem to have put so much work into the historical realism of the scenario, it seems cheap to start throwing in tanks for murderhobo meme lolz.

Tsilkani posted:

Cheap shots, get your cheap shots right here!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

It looks like... an entire game about flipping a really fancy pog?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

wiegieman posted:

It looks like... an entire game about flipping a really fancy pog?

Deep down, isn't that what they're really all about?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, I was two months behind in this thread (my apologies to everyone's posts I skimmed past :( ), but I managed to get caught up just in time for this:

Tsilkani posted:

So somebody's going to review this one, right?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, I was two months behind in this thread (my apologies to everyone's posts I skimmed past :( ), but I managed to get caught up just in time for this:

So somebody's going to review this one, right?

They'd better

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
I like that reptilians can be admins.

Ed: In fact, reptilians, vampires and demons are more likely to be them than humans or anyone else.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I can't help but out of the terrible Poser race art portaits, the only two that are women are the Elf and the 'Feral' (cat-girl). Also, the only visibly non-white POC is the Cyborg, who has an annoying resemblance to the Marvel character of the same name. This is some dire levels of bad art.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I spent the last two hours c&ping chunks of this game and its art into the discord.

Nobody should review this game.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Counterpoint: everyone should witness the magic of the grassassin.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I like how all of the poser things are comic book realistic and then there's just some random anime catgirl.

I think that says more about the system than anything else.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mr. Maltose posted:

Counterpoint: everyone should witness the magic of the grassassin.

Fine.

fake edit: BEHOLD THE OMNI GRID

fake edit 2: this is a game where, during character creation, you roll (excuse me, spin the glyph on the omni grid) to determine how much basic clothing you have. Then you randomly roll each article of clothing's environmental protection, visual appeal, comfort factor, material, and color scheme. This is, I swear to God, not optional.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

There's a fatal and friends discord?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Angrymog posted:

There's a fatal and friends discord?

I would like to know about this, too.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I'm the health differentiation into Tissue, Skeleton and Vitals.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Ratoslov posted:

I would like to know about this, too.
Third'd.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

JcDent posted:

I'm the health differentiation into Tissue, Skeleton and Vitals.

And, of course, literally every race is 2/4/1 except for the single race ('lycans') that is 4/8/2 instead.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Prism posted:

And, of course, literally every race is 2/4/1 except for the single race ('lycans') that is 4/8/2 instead.

In beast form only, note.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Foglet posted:

In beast form only, note.

Well, maybe. It's not like there are any numbers for any other forms (and they have four listed).

Edit: I looked at the action grid and my brain melted. Or maybe it was the omnigrid. It's all blending together.

Double edit: The character sheet has a grid for your favourite tastes on page one. It's not a fill-in-the-blank section.

Prism fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jan 10, 2018

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

JcDent posted:

I'll accept existence of Cthulhu before agreeing to competence or tanks on the side of AH.

Besides, when the authors seem to have put so much work into the historical realism of the scenario, it seems cheap to start throwing in tanks for murderhobo meme lolz.

So in the same universe where someone defeated Cthulhtu (temporarily) but running into him with a torpedo boat, shooting a couple shells at Baba Yaga's hut is just "murderhobo meme lolz?" Showing up and shooting some shotguns for one round and doing not much of anything isn't all that fun, blowing it back to space hell sure as gently caress is a lot more interesting.

The setting isn't historically accurate because, I can't believe I have to say this, its got evil outer space gods and black magic cults. Regardless of how much they read wikipedia, their railroad of adventure needs some serious retuning before I'd recommend that anyone play this thing.

Interesting to read though, I'll give it that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Please tell me I'm not the only one who keeps seeing this thing with a spiky green penis.