Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

smokyprogg posted:

Lol, seriously? Dark Souls II: about as objectionable as Tony Hawk's Pro Skater.

Lore question: What the gently caress is probably-Ornstein doing in this game? Nothing from the first game at all, then BAM, Dragonslayer's back, bitches.

I heard a stupid explanation that doesn't hold up if you think about it, but I love it: Ornstein and Smough in the first game were illusions. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

smokyprogg posted:

Lol, seriously? Dark Souls II: about as objectionable as Tony Hawk's Pro Skater.

Lore question: What the gently caress is probably-Ornstein doing in this game? Nothing from the first game at all, then BAM, Dragonslayer's back, bitches.

Another oddity, which you'd only have noticed if you took your time to look around down there with a torch: The shattered remains of the Lordvessel are sitting in the basement of the house in Majula.

Edit: Curse isn't really a thing to be overly concerned about in DS2. You just hollow as if you'd died, without dying. I'd get used to the Pursuer (the guy with the big sword and shield) showing up out of nowhere if I were you, though. You're going to be seeing a lot of him. Much less so if you were playing the original version of the game, but I guess From decided to make him live up to his name in SotFS.

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 25, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Lizard Wizard posted:

I heard a stupid explanation that doesn't hold up if you think about it, but I love it: Ornstein and Smough in the first game were illusions. :allears:

It's not that unlikely considering that they were told to guard Princess Gwynevere and she's also an illusion. The fact that they can and will repeatedly hand you your rear end on a platter says otherwise though.

I think my favourite theory is that people just kept dressing up as Ornstein because he was a cool guy and it turns out spears are the best weapon to slay dragons with. I think a few other places suggest Heide is involved with darkness and the remains of the abyss later in the game too so that would explain his use of darkness.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 25, 2016

tzmshizm
Jan 25, 2016
Oh hi, I'm Nick, a guy Rob talked to over a video coming up in a day or two. Happy to be here!

So, I'm one of the people who messaged Rob on Twitter when he mentioned seeing if people were interested... and after a good number of issues on both sides, we finally recorded an episode! Awesome!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Lord_Magmar posted:

I think a few other places suggest Heide is involved with darkness and the remains of the abyss later in the game too so that would explain his use of darkness.

While I haven't seen these places, I am super not inclined to believe this. Heide Knights all use lightning weapons, and that's kind of the "holy" element, even moreso in this game than it was in the first now that all lightning damage is tied to Faith.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Lizard Wizard posted:

While I haven't seen these places, I am super not inclined to believe this. Heide Knights all use lightning weapons, and that's kind of the "holy" element, even moreso in this game than it was in the first now that all lightning damage is tied to Faith.

Good point. I was getting confused because I thought a later boss looked like a fancier Old Knight and Heide Knight and one of them used what I thought was a dark empowerment on their weapon, turns out it's magic. So I dunno, the darkness thing is weird.

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011
So the barrel that rolled down the stairs. It should've blow up and open up a way to a secretish area. If you try it again and it doesnt blow up again just hit it. Also in the area after The pursuer boss fight you can drop down in one of the holes for some loot. Also after the dragonrider fight remeber to exhaust the praying ladies dialogue you need to do that to open a way to a new area.

EDIT: I think the mainstream theory is that dragenleic is lordran after hundreds if not thousands cycles of someone re-lighting the fire

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
A few extra comments as usual :).

- the "no new information" message sometimes changes if they're doing bonus content stuff; for examples, a few weeks in a row, every week the ornate chest in Majula's Mansion's basement would contain a different weapon that had an alternate colour. It's likely that from now until forever there will never be any new information, though...
- if you check the vid at 20:30 again, you will see Ornstein staggered. You can do that to bosses, I think the Dragonrider also gets staggered, but it's not that clear; this is how, as was mentioned, you can interrupt the Last Giant's arm-ripping animation. It's also how I beat a boss way later in the game, by making him skip a very dangerous attack.
- you found the Cathedral of Blue, containing one of the coolest Covenants that sadly doesn't work at all. I'll elaborate below.
- great job in figuring out tactics against the Heide knights. Parry the sword dudes and backstab the spear fuckers after their jump attack. Especially the latter are a wake-up call for people going "I'll try shieldless in Scholar after sword-and-boarding vanilla!". Shields are worse in DS2 than in DS1, but they do have some great uses!
- also great job in parrying the Pursuer. You can really lock him down like that. Also, a common (speedrun, even) tactic is to parry him in front of the ballista and gently caress him right up with it. An even commoner tactic is for hosts to get shot by "helpful" phantoms. You will die instantly to a ballista shot. The Pursuer? In two.
- as was mentioned, you missed an armor set (and shield) after the Pursuer fight. It's actually not really good (too heavy for what it does), looks pretty swank though.
- Lilith was mulching the Old Knights because she was using the normal-rear end Club. Which deals striking damage. It's probably not even upgraded or like +2. Strike damage is seriously that good against many enemies, and the Club itself is no slouch either.
- where you were reading the "sniper spot" message in the Bastille, around 1h9min, you can see a door in the wall; that's the shortcut I told you to open and never use unless you want to die :D.

So, about the Blue Sentinels - first of all, you missed their partner Covenant, the Way of the Blue. You can join that immediately if you exhaust dialogue with the crestfallen guy sitting in Majula. This'll give you a ring that's identical to the Life Ring in giving you a little extra health, and also if you wear it (at first at least, I think a patch changed that now you only need to be in the Covenant at all), you can get help with Invasions.
It works like this: you get invaded, then someone who is in the Blue Sentinels Covenant is called to your world as well. He'll show up as a blue phantom, and they get a helpful magic eye hovering from their position towards the invader so they can find it. Then their job is to protect you from the invader. As Way of the Blue member, you will get Covenant points if you/a blue phantom defeats an invader, and the Covenant is maxed with 10 invasions already iirc. You don't get anything particularly interesting or even unique. As you might guess, not many people stay in Way of the Blue. Which is an issue, as that is one of the first Covenants available, while you for example are way off where you can even start invading. And once you do that, your Soul Memory is so high that you'll never ever invade a fresh player who's like "I'll join the Way of the Blue for a while, why not".

That means that you'll join the Blue Sentinels (you first have to have helped in a single boss fight, gaining a Token of Fidelity - or you can find a single one a little later), get a ring, then you wear that and you're human and wait until a Way of the Blue dude gets invaded. And it happens once during your character's entire lifetime. It's completely broken and there's nothing you can do to mitigate that - it plain doesn't work.
Which is a problem, because you gain points in Blue Sentinels by defeating invaders in another person's world, so that doesn't work. Incidentally, Blood Covenant invaders also gain points if they kill blue phantoms, so that's a bust too.

Blue Sentinels has two other functions: with the cracked blue eye orbs, you can invade sinners (invaders), and gain more points. That's nice, but the orbs are limited, AND you only become a sinner after 10 invasions, and invasions aren't all that cool because there's little reward and incentive to do them, so good luck looking for sinners.
Finally, you can duel honorably with other Blue Sentinels, winner earns a point. This consumes Tokens of Fidelity. You also win a Cracked Blue Eye Orb, meaning that the intended way to do things was:
- help two blue dudes, gain two points, and also two Tokens of Fidelity
- use the Tokens to fight in the arena, win once (let's be realistic), get one more point and an orb
- use orb to invade a sinner, kill them, get another point

Sadly, step one doesn't work so you have to farm Tokens and then duel endlessly. It's terrible.

You need 500 points to max out the Covenant.

Seeing as you're proooobably not interested in all that (maybe get one Token, then discover the Covenant entering dialogue for an achievement if you care), you could as well shank him to get his weapon (another halberd) to try it out, then buy his armor set off Melentia for fashion souls :v: (dead NPC's armor shows up in her selection).

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
Please do play Sonic Dreams Collection.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Just so y'know, you don't have to be super careful with the black gunpowder barrels. They explode if they take FIRE damage, but you can just break them by rolling or whatever.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 25, 2016

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Day 11:

My boy Simon and I go clothes shopping. FRUMPTOOB is looking loving fab with that feather if I do say so myself. loving fab FRUMPTOOB feathers.

Day 11: Fashion Souls 101
Day 11 (Abridged Version)

Should be up to date sometime tomorrow if everything goes well. Have Day 12 rendered out already, but not sure if I'll get the necessary 15 hours to upload both the full and abridged versions tonight. :shepface:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tzmshizm posted:

Oh hi, I'm Nick, a guy Rob talked to over a video coming up in a day or two. Happy to be here!

So, I'm one of the people who messaged Rob on Twitter when he mentioned seeing if people were interested... and after a good number of issues on both sides, we finally recorded an episode! Awesome!

Yeah! And this should be up tonight/tomorrow morning. Can't make promises because ice and internet and a huge clusterfuck here in the mountains. Soon though...

Lizard Wizard posted:

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's not that unlikely considering that they were told to guard Princess Gwynevere and she's also an illusion. The fact that they can and will repeatedly hand you your rear end on a platter says otherwise though.

I think my favourite theory is that people just kept dressing up as Ornstein because he was a cool guy and it turns out spears are the best weapon to slay dragons with. I think a few other places suggest Heide is involved with darkness and the remains of the abyss later in the game too so that would explain his use of darkness.

I like this, but I assume O&S are still there if you kill Gwyndolin first? What happens to Gwynevere if you kill Gwyndolin beforehand, by the way? I never actually turned Anor Londo dark, so I have no idea of what was really going on with the illusions there.

KieranWalker posted:

Another oddity, which you'd only have noticed if you took your time to look around down there with a torch: The shattered remains of the Lordvessel are sitting in the basement of the house in Majula.

:monocle: That's pretty drat cool! Gonna check that out in a later video if I remember.

FailAtMagic posted:

I think the mainstream theory is that dragenleic is lordran after hundreds if not thousands cycles of someone re-lighting the fire

What's else supports this? The geography is just so completely different that I have a hard time believing it.

Simply Simon posted:

blue sentinels

It's a shame that the invasion mechanics are wonky in this game, cause that sounds like potentially a cool covenant! If not needlessly complicated. I do like the look of that guy's armor/halberd too... Fashion souls, bitch.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Just so y'know, you don't have to be super careful with the black gunpowder barrels. They explode if they take FIRE damage, but you can just break them by rolling or whatever.

I keep hearing this, but the sheer amount of explosions from enemy attacks, as well as my own, is making me real skeptical.

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 25, 2016

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

smokyprogg posted:

I like this, but I assume O&S are still there if you kill Gwyndolin first? What happens to Gwynevere if you kill Gwyndolin beforehand, by the way? I never actually turned Anor Londo dark, so I have no idea of what was really going on with the illusions there.

I thought I told you not to think about it. :colbert:

smokyprogg posted:

I keep hearing this, but the sheer amount of explosions from enemy attacks, as well as my own, is making me real skeptical.

Yeah, it's weird but I think they explode when they take extreme amounts of damage or something? I know rolling is safe, though.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 25, 2016

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself
Gotta say, Smoky, you are way better at DS2 your first time playing it than I was. :sweatdrop: Saulden (the Way of Blue NPC Simon mentioned) will give you the Ring of Steel Protection if you talk to him after you die 100 times, and I got that before the halfway point. So if you actually beat the game within 90 deaths, hey, that's like twice as good as this guy did!

smokyprogg posted:

I keep hearing this, but the sheer amount of explosions from enemy attacks, as well as my own, as making me real loving skeptical.

I think enemy melee attacks always explode barrels (dog bites and magic attacks don't, though), while for you, you have to deal fire damage. There was a rumor going around early after release you could create sparks with certain weapons that hit the ground during the arc of their attacks, but I think it just turned out everyone was using the Fire longsword from the Forest because it's so good early on. :v:

As far as the Blue Cop stuff goes, Mog actually got one to help out in our LP. There are about 6 red orbs available in the Forest (though a couple require a suicide run past stuff you're not supposed to handle until later), and you can farm the piggies in Majula. You know, if your need to troll is so great you can put up with extincting those things. I think the bigger problem is in SotFS, the route to join the Blue Sentinels is a lot tougher than in the base game, so fewer people are going to be there at low SMs.

Simply Simon posted:

- where you were reading the "sniper spot" message in the Bastille, around 1h9min, you can see a door in the wall; that's the shortcut I told you to open and never use unless you want to die :D.

At the risk of linking to our videos again.... :smug:. (Pay no attention to the first time where I miss and have to quit and reload to try again....)

As for Ornstein, my take on it was his ring and spear survived the ages, and Vendrick was able to transfer the dregs of his soul from those things into a golem, and that's what you fight. It's clearly not a clone or anything, the real fake Ornstein would never leave a dragon un-slain right outside his door. :v:

RE: Gwyndolin, killing him does absolutely nothing to the illusion. Presumably it's one of those permanent-once-created-until-dispelled things. The only way to end it is killing Gwynevere. Some of the Silver Knights are real, so it seems reasonable the last of Gwyn's knights might be guarding it too.

And I'll throw my hat in the ring for commentary. Mog had some bad luck with recording the next session and it'll be delayed while we redo it (luckily she's the one playing the modern version, so she was able to make a backup save), so I should have some time this week. Maybe during the weekend; that'll give me time to catch up (I just saw this thread yesterday).

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

smokyprogg posted:

What's else supports this? The geography is just so completely different that I have a hard time believing it.
Lore spoilers for later on, of course tagged if you care about having the aha! effect yourself: The four big dudes you have to kill literally have the Lord Souls. Like, it's in the description and you get even MORE obvious extra souls on NG+ from them. It's not a theory that Drangleic is Lordran's future - I usually hate overextensive lore talk, but this is basically fact.
If you don't mouse over: Drangleic is Lordran, the game itself states that.

Man, there is something that's bugging me and I wanted to tell you and I remembered in the video and now it's gone again...eh, it'll come to me. Also, I will give more weapon blurbs for what our new smith buddy sells.

AnEvilHerbivore
Feb 17, 2013

I will eat all of the leaves on this tree. I will eat more leaves than I should, and then other giraffes may die.
You haven't missed Lucatiel's unmasking. That doesn't happen until the second time you meet her.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Lizard Wizard posted:

If the barrels take any amount of fire damage or more than ~200 damage in a single attack they will explode, which means that player attacks are safe unless you're using a really big weapon (or just a mace because maces are great) but enemy attacks will gently caress them up real good.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself
Caught up now, and geez, Simon, could you be any more giddy about Smoky's impending death to the royal swordsman gauntlet? :sweatdrop: Kind of surprised he made it, honestly. I wonder if that's a quirk of SotFS's redone pathing; normally makes the game harder (enemies chase you a lot further for one thing), but groups do seem to get bogged down on each other more easily. And yeah, there's nothing special about the torch in the room Lucy's in, she'll take her hat off in dialogue the second time you meet (it's scripted as part of her speech, so if you skip through it, she won't do it; just a heads-up).

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

If the barrels take any amount of fire damage or more than ~200 damage in a single attack they will explode,

Ahh, that makes sense. Should've figured it'd be something like that, since wooden chests have HP too and that just means enemies are more likely to smash them than you are.

Early on in the video Simon's talking about the Leo Ring, and just to clear it up, there's critical damage (backstabs and ripostes), and counter damage, hits while the enemy is in active attack frames (not recovery frames, so you have to be quick or willing to trade hits to get it to kick in reliably, or shield-poke with spears and whatnot). Counter damage is a listed weapon trait, it's the number from 100 to 160 near the bottom in the left column; while critical damage isn't listed. Though you've already noticed daggers do a lot more of it than halberds, heh.

Speaking of halberds, I use the term "direct hit" (from Demon's Souls) while you'll hear "sweet spot" a lot, but it's a mechanic they, "reapers" (scythe, the jailers' machetes-on-sticks, etc.), and a few other weapons use. Honestly, I used to be 100% with Simon, but having used one in our LP, I'm definitely warming up to them. Especially with weapon buffs, they can one-shot (or at least 2-shot with the followup sweep) enemies few other weapons can, plus reach is always nice of course.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Wayne posted:

Caught up now, and geez, Simon, could you be any more giddy about Smoky's impending death to the royal swordsman gauntlet? :sweatdrop:
It's called "Schadenfreude" and we invented it :smuggo:.

So, weapons.

Bastard Sword: It's the most basic of Greatswords (that is, longer and heavier but not ridiculously so swords). Similar to the Claymore, which you can get later. I'm 95% sure the Bastard Sword is worse in every way and 100% sure it's generally unremarkable. You can find one for free in an area of the FotFG you didn't visit yet.
Uchigatana: I never much bothered with Katanas, though there are people who swear by them (and I do admit they're a pain in the rear end to fight against if the opponent knows what he's doing). Dex weapon anyway, so maybe not interesting for you. Otherwise it's probably the same as in DS1 but not quite as impressive, as you get it later than from the first merchant you can just shank, and there are far more katanas in DS2 to overshadow it.
Greataxe: It's a Greataxe.
Winged Spear: Got that covered.
Scythe: It's basically a Halberd (like in DS1). But you can't thrust over the shield like you can with the Halberd. Also, the Scythe is strictly inferiour in any way except that it's slightly lighter and need 3 less DEX. gently caress the Scythe.
Long Bow: It's longer than the Shortbow. Slightly higher damage, slightly higher DEX requirement. Unexciting to say the least. Maybe the arrows travel farther?
Royal Kite Shield: It's the lightest Shield with 100% physical block, that's something.

You heard enough about the Craftsman's Hammer :haw:.

I never bought a weapon from McDuff.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Longbows do fire arrows farther than shortbows, yes. The real noticeable aspect of this in-game is that arrows fly farther before they start to drop off (both in trajectory and damage output).

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Day 12 Let me start counting the soul memory...

I'm going to assume you died horribly day 13 and made no progress to the next zone and I should still invade the day 12 area.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Day 12:

Got a new guest this time! Nick (forums user tzmshizm) joins me for a wonderful time blowing poo poo up, making moderate progress, and oh goddammit here comes the loving pursuer i still haven't beat him one v one poo poo

Day 12: Boom Goes the Dynamite (feat. tzmhero)
Day 12 (Abridged Version)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wayne posted:

*commentary stuff*
Send me a Skype invite and we can hash out a time! My name on there is frothypogs.

Fat and Useless posted:

Day 12 Let me start counting the soul memory...

I'm going to assume you died horribly day 13 and made no progress to the next zone and I should still invade the day 12 area.

Day 13 I went to the wharf and got killed by a motherfucker named Craig.
Do what you will with that. I'll be playing ~2-3 hours from now (around 10 EST).

gently caress Craig.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

smokyprogg posted:

gently caress Craig.

gently caress Brutus.

Edit: Used 55 orbs no luck.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 27, 2016

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Pilgrim Bellclaire is an NPC summon, and she's actually a neat bit of foreshadowing. From her name, you'd suspect a miracle user, and while she does have a chime, she also has a catalyst. There may, in fact, be a reason you would want to use both of these yourself.

On that note, given how many lifegems and bones you seem to be blowing through, have you considered investing in faith?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Congrats on beating the Ruin Sentinels!

The Large Club is nice, but I think the Great Club is a little better. But that's the first giant piece of wood to smash enemies with I was hinting at which you would probably get soonish. Worth a try if you like SMASHIN FOOLS, if you're perfectly happy with the Halberd, no real need to bother.

By the way, I forgot to mention that last time in the room you died in - if you go over the balcony, you can push the explosive barrel down that's just standing there (simply walk into it). It's fun!

Also, you really want to talk to the tiny dude again who's going on about Bells. He's got an offer you cannot refuse. But I should give you a disclaimer about that: hanging around in Belfry Luna too long might be hazardous to your health...

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Day 13:

Well, that's an invasion. Watching the video for editing made me cringe at how bad I am at PvP. Could have probably beat this guy just by attacking over and over. OH WELLLL.

Day 13: Butthorn
Day 13 (Abridged Version)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fat and Useless posted:

gently caress Brutus.

Edit: Used 55 orbs no luck.

Oh don't worry, the reason for missing out on an invasion will be very clear soon. I never left the Wharf though! :v:

Lizard Wizard posted:

On that note, given how many lifegems and bones you seem to be blowing through, have you considered investing in faith?

I really really should. I didn't use a single miracle in any playthrough of DS1, but it really seems like it would be useful due to the focus on consumable healing in this game. DS1 would literally throw you a bone at each boss, so Homeward wasn't necessary. Will probably check out the miracles merchant once I have some souls to blow through after another boss.

Simply Simon posted:

Congrats on beating the Ruin Sentinels!

The Large Club is nice, but I think the Great Club is a little better. But that's the first giant piece of wood to smash enemies with I was hinting at which you would probably get soonish. Worth a try if you like SMASHIN FOOLS, if you're perfectly happy with the Halberd, no real need to bother.

By the way, I forgot to mention that last time in the room you died in - if you go over the balcony, you can push the explosive barrel down that's just standing there (simply walk into it). It's fun!

Also, you really want to talk to the tiny dude again who's going on about Bells. He's got an offer you cannot refuse. But I should give you a disclaimer about that: hanging around in Belfry Luna too long might be hazardous to your health...

I think I'm gonna gently caress with the Large Club for a bit, but I noticed I got a second halberd in this video! Powerstance halberds, maybe? Gah, so much weird mechanics to work towards in this game.

Will probably go talk to the tiny man again, but not sure if I want to gently caress with the belfry yet. I'm assuming those exploding motherfuckers from the skeleton hallway are actually an enemy there, and I really don't want to deal with that immediately.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

smokyprogg posted:

Oh don't worry, the reason for missing out on an invasion will be very clear soon. I never left the Wharf though! :v:

I'm going to take a guess and say a human effigy was burned after Craig or you walked into water.

You walked into water didn't you?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

smokyprogg posted:

I really really should. I didn't use a single miracle in any playthrough of DS1, but it really seems like it would be useful due to the focus on consumable healing in this game. DS1 would literally throw you a bone at each boss, so Homeward wasn't necessary. Will probably check out the miracles merchant once I have some souls to blow through after another boss.

Just to save you a load of trouble, she doesn't actually move to Majula. She should be next to that weird device in the tunnel leading to Heide's Tower of Flame.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I didn't lie to you, silly, I told you you had to spend some soulz with Maughlin first. 15k (which is, like, one armor set more - I recommend Elite Knight, it's got that classic style), then you can do the 0 soulz begging action.

I still accept George's offer of friendship, if he wants to he can come over too and hunt Austrians with me (should be easy, I live in their country after all).

More things:
- You tactic against the Pursuer is actually really sound. If you stand riiight next to him when he does his curse explosion, you're the safest you can be.
- I forgot to mention: the Ruin Sentinel boss room has hidden doors. Get used to those being everywhere. Get also used to people spamming "Illusion ahead" in every. single. corner.
- The Sublime Bone Dust locations were changed for Scholar. They're now all guarded by a Syan Knight (the dude you instant killed with a backstab, which is the best tactic apart from parrying them) which is thematic, actually (story spoilers though!). And Estus Flask Shards are also often changed now and behind statues who weren't there before either. You get more Branches to compensate, Melentia's 12k Branch for example is new (and actually superfluous).
Oh, and you missed a thing where the "fat man" was, behind the statue and the basilisk; did you also not notice the trunk? It's a Mastodon!
- I have no opinion on the Infantry Axe (I suspect it's an axe) and little on the Old Knight Halberd (it's probably not going to last you long).

OH, and I finally remembered what I wanted to tell you three vids ago and forgot. In some areas where you've beaten bosses, you might see a "Nullify Human Effigy Effect" on Bonfires and a buff symbol that's a crossed out Eye Orb. That's something that came with a relatively recent patch - after killing a boss, you now get a 30-minute grace period of no invasions. You can also get this by burning an Effigy on a Bonfire yourself. Something to keep in mind if you WANT invasions (your own are blocked, too, but I think you can be summoned) and/or are just wondering what up, and if you really do not care to be invaded, it's also good to know of course.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Simply Simon posted:

I didn't lie to you, silly, I told you you had to spend some soulz with Maughlin first. 15k (which is, like, one armor set more - I recommend Elite Knight, it's got that classic style), then you can do the 0 soulz begging action.

I still accept George's offer of friendship, if he wants to he can come over too and hunt Austrians with me (should be easy, I live in their country after all).

More things:
- You tactic against the Pursuer is actually really sound. If you stand riiight next to him when he does his curse explosion, you're the safest you can be.
- I forgot to mention: the Ruin Sentinel boss room has hidden doors. Get used to those being everywhere. Get also used to people spamming "Illusion ahead" in every. single. corner.
- The Sublime Bone Dust locations were changed for Scholar. They're now all guarded by a Syan Knight (the dude you instant killed with a backstab, which is the best tactic apart from parrying them) which is thematic, actually (story spoilers though!). And Estus Flask Shards are also often changed now and behind statues who weren't there before either. You get more Branches to compensate, Melentia's 12k Branch for example is new (and actually superfluous).
Oh, and you missed a thing where the "fat man" was, behind the statue and the basilisk; did you also not notice the trunk? It's a Mastodon!
- I have no opinion on the Infantry Axe (I suspect it's an axe) and little on the Old Knight Halberd (it's probably not going to last you long).

OH, and I finally remembered what I wanted to tell you three vids ago and forgot. In some areas where you've beaten bosses, you might see a "Nullify Human Effigy Effect" on Bonfires and a buff symbol that's a crossed out Eye Orb. That's something that came with a relatively recent patch - after killing a boss, you now get a 30-minute grace period of no invasions. You can also get this by burning an Effigy on a Bonfire yourself. Something to keep in mind if you WANT invasions (your own are blocked, too, but I think you can be summoned) and/or are just wondering what up, and if you really do not care to be invaded, it's also good to know of course.

It's like they don't want pvp to happen, assholes.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Day 14:

gently caress.

Day 14: A Day Well Spent

Caught up now!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fat and Useless posted:

You walked into water didn't you?

:allears:

Lizard Wizard posted:

Just to save you a load of trouble, she doesn't actually move to Majula. She should be next to that weird device in the tunnel leading to Heide's Tower of Flame.

Will probably be checking this out tonight, as I'm a little burrned out on the wharf after this one.

Simply Simon posted:

Was wondering about this! I saw the buff icon and figured it was something with me getting cursed by the Pursuer in the same video. The curse is solely hollowing out, right?

I'll let George know you're down for Austrian hunting sometime. I'm sure he would love it!

tzmshizm
Jan 25, 2016
*sees a three minute video and just laughs like crazy in the middle of a Taco Bell*

So no abridged episode I take it Rob? Ha ha... Sorry.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
Abridged version here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCLCTT1cZYI

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Glad I spent 30 minutes invading. It's me I'm the loser in all of this even if I do manage to invade you.

tzmshizm
Jan 25, 2016

Should be you and guest introduce, Frumptoob falling then you cursing. End.

I should edit that...

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

"You have invaded the world of Jew Hunter"

How nice a man of the Jewish faith who is a hunter.

I'd kill these people but I don't want to raise my soul memory.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Fat and Useless posted:

"You have invaded the world of Jew Hunter"

How nice a man of the Jewish faith who is a hunter.

I'd kill these people but I don't want to raise my soul memory.
Why aren't you wearing the Agape Ring 24/7 if you are so obsessed with hunting down the Frump?

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Simply Simon posted:

Why aren't you wearing the Agape Ring 24/7 if you are so obsessed with hunting down the Frump?

It will take some nerd with 30k souls on hand killing himself to make me waste the ring slot(I'm already wasting one). I'm too lazy to ring swap. I also have no clue what his SM actually is so I just kill bosses as he does and attempt to kill as few things as necessary on the way to places since invadees WILL suicide and give me souls.

Really the whole plan is held up with duct tape and it will be some miracle if I actually do invade him. Maybe it's all just to unsettle him, get in his head, make him slip off planks as he twitches at shadows of a fat man. When it does happen he'll know it happened.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Haha okay buddy.

I promised a lil' writeup on something that's been hinted at heavily already: Bellbro PvP. Remember the Forest Hunters from DS1? Bellbroing is like that, except cool and good. You join with the tiny weird guy in the Belfry, you get a ring. You wear the ring anywhere in the world, then when someone enters the Belfry, you get called to defend it.
Now, in DS1's Forest Hunters, the steps were like that, too - but if you lost as a blue defender phantom, then you ended up at the last Bonfire rested at as if you had just died. Meaning that you couldn't just keep wearing the ring to have a little sparring action on the side while exploring - you would keep getting booted back. Also, the forest was hella full of assholes trying out their newest absurd SL1 build to dunk newbies with.
In DS2, when you lose the fight, you end up right where you were as the ring pulled you into the other guy's world. Meaning you can keep wearing the ring (and you have four slots, soo...) while traipsing around, then you'll get called to a fight, and two things can happen:
- you die: that's too bad, because you lose all spell charges you used during the fight, weapon durability of course goes down as you hit walls instead of the other guy, and you feel bad because you suck at PvP. You cannot use and therefore cannot lose Estus or Lifegems. You end up back in your world and that's it.
- you win: you get a Titanite Chunk (or even, as of a newer patch, a Twinkling, Slab or Petrified Dragon Bone!), you end up back in your world and everything is fully repaired, filled up and ready to go :getin:. I cleared gigantic swathes of area just by constantly winning fights against people trespassing in the Belfry; not that I'm good enough to win every fight, but if a lot of people play, you get like one per minute, and if you win every other or even every third (it'll happen on its own because two people can invade at once, and sometimes you arrive just as the other guy wins, you don't even have to be a dick and gang up on the trespasser), that's plenty.

Also, you get so many Chunks that you can upgrade willy-nilly.

The big problem (for you at the very least) is that you will get assholes showing up to murder your face if you set foot in the Belfry, and I was really surprised that this wasn't what ended your video two days ago. Usually, you walk onto the bridge and bam goes the mist door shut behind you, have fun. So either you:
a) join the Covenant after 1h of video and plenty of progress when you feel like you can "afford" a death, or
b) treat it like an "arena" and make deaths exempt while you practice PvP. Because:

Even when you get invaded and win, you will get rewards. So if you are serious about Chunk farming, you stay in the Belfry yourself with the ring on and alternate between invading other people who do the same and getting invaded. You'll die a lot, but if you can't win a PvP match with 75% health, you can't win a PvP match :geno:.

If this sounds like too much PvP, don't worry; I hated PvP coming from DS1, and after a few hours of Bellbroing I realized that hey, DS2's PvP is vastly superiour and incredible fun. Also! If you start early (and your point is plenty early, many people do No Man's Wharf before the Bastille...and die a lot in the process), you'll meet a lot of people casually exploring the Belfry the first time, or if you hang out there, newcomers to the Covenant who're like "this is neat, let's try it out while exploring" who invade you with 75% health too and half-broken weapons. Nothing is more satisfying than teaching people that no, you cannot hide behind your shield, I will guard-break it and then instant kill you :fuckoff:.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The bellfry is also really fun to do goofy gimmick builds with, since you don't lose anything if you die. I went as a full outfit desert sorceress with dual poison whips for a while, it was fun as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

That being said belfry isn't even the best PvP!

• Locked thread