Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

I attended Berry's Steel Open 2016 in Southwest Utah! Berry's Steel is a multi-discipline outlaw steel match. This year it was 18 stages, combining 6 Steel Challenge stages, 6 Par Time Pro-Am style stages, and 6 Time-Plus format stages. Roundcount was around 500 but I shot about 750.

Previously known as 'the match where you shoot a lot of steel', it is now known as the match where you 'shoot a lot of steel and get your nuts crushed'. Nobody was expecting them to take last year, add more stages, and crank up the difficulty.

These fuckers were everywhere:

2x4" rams, 2x3" chickens, 2" square targets, etc, all over, and at distance. They had two of those dixie cups against the berm at 18 yards on one par time stage, apparently nobody hit one. Pretty funny trap though.

I thought it was incredibly fun though as mentioned, challenging. Having an optic was a huge bonus, it seemed like many of the irons shooters were frustrated at the difficulty. I think an ability to go as close to 1 for 1 on the steel as possible would help though.

I managed 8th in my division (out of 62) and 80% of the national champ who took 1st so I was pretty pleased. My lack of interest in steel challenge definitely brought me down but I was consistently decent at the par time stages and gained ground on the time plus stages.

Here's the video if you wanna see and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

That looks awesome. I wish I could afford to buy a ton of steel for a match like that.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

Looks like a hell of a match. The "Plates a plenty" stage looked like a ton of fun. I'm very interested in your gun. Can you tell me more?

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

His name is Head. Dick Head.

Wow every single match out here will cancel at the first sight of lightning.

I would love to shoot something like this. Steel is awesome, immediate-feedback practice.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Lunchboxx posted:

I would love to shoot something like this. Steel is awesome, immediate-feedback practice.

Ditto. I really need to buy some steel targets. does anyone have a favorite steel target/steel target set? favorite vendor/manufacturer?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I've been reasonable happy with my Tactical Scorpion Gear round plates in 3", 6", and 10": diameters:

http://www.tacticalscorpiongear.com/product-category/ar500-targets/

They seem to be on the cheaper end and some full-house 357 Magnum out of a carbine at 25 yards only barely smeared some steel if you look real close. They're on the cheaper end of things for 3/8" AR500 and can be had on Amazon though purchasing direct is a bit cheaper. I like the two hole setup so I can hang from whatever improvised crossbar but single hole mounts would be nice if you had the room in your car and money for devoted stands.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Butch Cassidy posted:

I've been reasonable happy with my Tactical Scorpion Gear round plates in 3", 6", and 10": diameters:

http://www.tacticalscorpiongear.com/product-category/ar500-targets/

They seem to be on the cheaper end and some full-house 357 Magnum out of a carbine at 25 yards only barely smeared some steel if you look real close. They're on the cheaper end of things for 3/8" AR500 and can be had on Amazon though purchasing direct is a bit cheaper. I like the two hole setup so I can hang from whatever improvised crossbar but single hole mounts would be nice if you had the room in your car and money for devoted stands.

Hmmm... seems like they only sell gongs and the 2/3 IDPA silhouette. I was kinda hoping for a semi-reactive IDPA silhouette kinda target. I'll keep looking though. thanks for the tip.

right arm
Oct 29, 2011

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Ditto. I really need to buy some steel targets. does anyone have a favorite steel target/steel target set? favorite vendor/manufacturer?

I got a 50% off coupon from a local operation and bought this bad boy

it owns

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

Nice. If I can ever get land, I'm wanting a host of steel targets to mess with.

right arm
Oct 29, 2011

I built a berm on my land for .22 plinking off my deck and bent/built some spinners as a welding/oxyacetalene project. was quite fun :D

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Ebay has some vendors that make good targets at really fair prices.

I like this guy because he has some cool designs, ships fast and has decent prices.

http://stores.ebay.com/Steel-Targets-by-MAGNUM-TARGET?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Paper Diamonds posted:

Looks like a hell of a match. The "Plates a plenty" stage looked like a ton of fun. I'm very interested in your gun. Can you tell me more?

It's an STI 2011 in .38 super. What do you want to know?

Lunchboxx posted:

Haha, yes. Lately I've been using it because of the feedback, but to ignore the feedback, so as to call my shots and leave and not listen for a ding. It's interesting practice.

• Locked thread