Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Root flips off samaritan and it made air, bless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Zaggitz posted:

A super computer made of PS3's is literally a real thing that the US army made. The cell processor is designed in such a way to accommodate such a system if enough of them are paired together. It' an extremely deep cut but an extremely legit one that is completely logical.

Not only that but a huge plot point of the episode was how current-gen PCs are infected with replicating malware from Samaritan.

It was a genius solution on both levels, and shows that the show did its homework by Root pointing out that they're last-gen and, hence, uninfected.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also, for reference, Folding@home is literally exactly what the team ends up using to uncompress the Machine (distributed computing project based off software installed on client systems all working together to simultaneously process enormous computational systems) and a Big Thing back in the late 2000s/early 2010s was installing it on PS3s and running it from home, partially because everyone owned a PS3 and partially because the structure of its processor allowed for certain computations to be done much much faster then other currently-available processors on the market at the time.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Her asking for a new identity was weird as hell unless the whole thing was a play to get the hardware knowing she was going to be betrayed and needed to obfuscate her reason for being there. But then what was her plan to GTFO? It was a crazy amount of faith if Reese was her plan.

PS4's were also a similar Chappie plot point.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I think it was a gamble and a way to get out of camera view. She'd either get a new identity and be on her way or she'd stall until she came up with a better plan and/or got help.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

https://twitter.com/marisaroffman/status/727929783451951104
https://twitter.com/marisaroffman/status/727935217109893121

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Wow july 19 that is a quick turnaround time.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Zaggitz posted:

This is hilarious, I absolutely did not catch it was a middle finger. Thought she was just kind of waving her hand at Sammy.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Toxxupation posted:

Also, for reference, Folding@home is literally exactly what the team ends up using to uncompress the Machine (distributed computing project based off software installed on client systems all working together to simultaneously process enormous computational systems) and a Big Thing back in the late 2000s/early 2010s was installing it on PS3s and running it from home, partially because everyone owned a PS3 and partially because the structure of its processor allowed for certain computations to be done much much faster then other currently-available processors on the market at the time.

For me it all seemed plausible except for "IT'S DECOMPRESSING TOO FAST OUR SYSTEMS CAN'T HANDLE IT!" *hardware sparks, catches fire*

Is there something legit to that part or was that :techno:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
I was expecting the Machine to go "I KNOW WHAT YOU DID" in the flashback when Finch was frantically typing after the reset, a "I can't believe you actually did it" vibe.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

raditts posted:

For me it all seemed plausible except for "IT'S DECOMPRESSING TOO FAST OUR SYSTEMS CAN'T HANDLE IT!" *hardware sparks, catches fire*

I mean you can theorycraft something about software overclocking hardware creating catastrophic cascading system failure, but no not really.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Episode with commentary is now online: http://www.cbs.com/shows/person_of_...ive-commentary/

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

oohhboy posted:

"Manually Tracking". Reese's cover also re-establishes itself back at the police station as another way of telling you Sammy still has trouble with the team once it's loses track. You really are terrible at watching this show.

Like I said, the guys chasing the team are only as competent as the plot requires.

Kaizoku posted:

Although you do think one or more of the guys would've stayed off the bus for that very reason.

Basically this.

Zaggitz posted:

Haha that owns.

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

I mean you can theorycraft something about software overclocking hardware creating catastrophic cascading system failure, but no not really.

This is also the reason the series release schedule is so compressed. Otherwise your TV would explode.

But it was pretty funny - you'd think it would just pop up with a GZIP: INSUFFICIENT SPACE TO UNARCHIVE 'THEMACHINE' TARBALL or something rather than exploding. It must have passed some compression event horizon where physics breaks down.

Still, full points for using a beowulf cluster on TV in a manner that made sense in the plot. That warmed my little nerd heart.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

PaybackJack posted:

Made a single image with some quick photoshop work

I shed a tear, this show really knows how to pull at my heart.

goddamn why do I have something in my eyes

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

raditts posted:

Closest I can think of is an outage at one of Amazon's datacenters a few years ago. A networking screwup caused a lot of their storage to lose its network connection so a lot of their devices were isolated from each other. Any device that was isolated separately from where it was replicated tried to find enough hard drive space somewhere else to create a new copy of itself, and ~13% of the datacenter was trying to create a copy of itself all at the exact same time. The sheer volume in traffic and requests from that more or less broke everything, and Amazon really couldn't do much besides throw more hard drives in until everything finished rereplicating which took days. (Some details of this are probably not fully accurate)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I dunno if most of you are aware, but there's a popular internet project titled Chronologically LOST where a dude went around and edited LOST to be in, uh, chronological order. After POI is all done I'd like to see how the same thing works with this show, it'd be pretty interesting to see a chronological version of the program.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

The Iron Rose posted:

E: team irrelevant really needs to get over not killing anyone tho. Unless they plan to bankrupt samaritan with the surgery costs of replacement knees

It's actually not a terrible idea. You kill someone, they're dead. You cripple them, and then the enemy needs to spend resources to take care of and rehabilitate them. (Or if they kill them themselves then that blood is on their hands and not the heroes.)

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I mean yeah sure that's cool and all if you rather just strip all thematic and narrative meaning to everything just to say you watched it all in chronological order.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
In many tv series there is a 'tone meeting' with the showrunners, writers, directors and they go through the script line by line.
This group must just say for every scene, "What can we do to make it more intense?!"

raditts posted:

One time I had an overclocked AMD CPU overheat and all I saw was a sad, little puff of smoke.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It's actually not a terrible idea. You kill someone, they're dead. You cripple them, and then the enemy needs to spend resources to take care of and rehabilitate them. (Or if they kill them themselves then that blood is on their hands and not the heroes.)

They probably get a text message:

Samaritan posted:

KILL YOURSELF

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, the sparks flying every which way was a bit hokey but otherwise I loved everything about that episode. And besides, if we hadn't had that, we couldn't have had Bear fetching the fire extinguisher in his capacity as Best Good Boy.

(Well, okay, I didn't love the dialogue that occasionally verged just slightly on the wrong side of too much exposition, but if I had a real problem with that, I couldn't watch this TV show or any TV show.)

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Like I said, the guys chasing the team are only as competent as the plot requires.

Basically this.

Sammy's guys have basically stopped thinking for themselves. They likely run on an opposite of God Mode where instead of getting information like Root and Reese, they get instructions with very little information attached to it. Exactly how Sammy and the machine have been shown to work. They get told to get on the bus, they go on the bus, they don't think about what the target is going to do.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Toxxupation posted:

I dunno if most of you are aware, but there's a popular internet project titled Chronologically LOST where a dude went around and edited LOST to be in, uh, chronological order. After POI is all done I'd like to see how the same thing works with this show, it'd be pretty interesting to see a chronological version of the program.

E: It's probably not as dumb as it was for Lost (or Arrested Development season 4), but I don't think it's a great concept.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 5, 2016

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I mean, there's
this (with promises of an updated version after this season) but other then RAM happening shortly before the series, there's not really any episodes that aren't chronologically after the other. This season might very well change that, but Lost was different because you would sometimes see the same events two different times from different perspectives. That doesn't really happen in PoI.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I didn't think it worked for Lost because it removed a lot of the thematic parallels in exchange for making the continuity a bit clearer (and in AD you lost some of the jokes, as well as loving over the pacing). It's neat seeing some events from multiple perspectives, but it feels a really reductionist approach overall.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

oohhboy posted:

Sammy's guys have basically stopped thinking for themselves. They likely run on an opposite of God Mode where instead of getting information like Root and Reese, they get instructions with very little information attached to it. Exactly how Sammy and the machine have been shown to work. They get told to get on the bus, they go on the bus, they don't think about what the target is going to do.

I just think those were the dumbest operatives, where one of the three didn't think to cover the only other egress from the bus. Or they figured they got the chump assignment, capturing the gimpped programmer, and didn't take it as seriously as they would have if they'd been going after Root or Reese.

edit: Because let's face it, when they go back to Greer and say, "well, Samaritan didn't tell us to cover the back of the bus," that probably won't go over well.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There is always incompetence. It wouldn't be a stretch to think that Root and Reese shot almost all their Tier 1 operatives in the area at the end of last season and are getting chased by second line dudes who might be unnerved by all the casualties.

Greer is probably quite aware of the cost of removing free will and not care especially if someone else is paying the price as he is the High Priest second only to a God. Shame we didn't see Greer even for a little bit.

Those Power Mac G5s are real strong.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
As soon as I saw the PS3s I started cracking up. Somewhere, someone at Sony who was a big proponent of the Cell processor is just madly fist pumping and screaming.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I liked this episode. The only irrational nerd-annoyance for me was when Finch kept stopping whatever critical life-saving thing he was doing to the machine to listen to others' conversations. No pressure guys.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

StarkRavingMad posted:

As soon as I saw the PS3s I started cracking up. Somewhere, someone at Sony who was a big proponent of the Cell processor is just madly fist pumping and screaming.

It was kind of weird how Root told Reese they'd need 300 of them and when you see the setup in the subway car, there's like, 40 of them.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I actually recently finished a complete watch of Chronologically Lost and I enjoyed it. Made some things a lot clearer. Like who was in the other outrigger.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Sub Rosa posted:

Like who was in the other outrigger.
How? It was never actually answered (unless you count some bullshit DVD bonus stuff), since the writers' original plans got mucked up by other things that happened.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

In chrono order it seemed pretty obvious that it was Ilana's team.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Put this off for days; I think I literally forgot how good the show was. Such incredible nerd cred with the PS3 thing.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sub Rosa posted:

I actually recently finished a complete watch of Chronologically Lost and I enjoyed it. Made some things a lot clearer. Like who was in the other outrigger.

How does it deal with simultaneous events? Is it like that 24-style video that someone linked upthread or does it just cut between everything?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

WarLocke posted:

It was kind of weird how Root told Reese they'd need 300 of them and when you see the setup in the subway car, there's like, 40 of them.

300 lovely old Macs. Presumably PS3s cluster more efficiently.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

WarLocke posted:

As if this show could afford buying 300 used PS3s. Even if they sold them all afterwards, they'd still have to sink half their budget into making just one or two episodes with that kind of spending.

On an actual serious note, the mindless action has gotten so boring at this point I skipped most of it to watch the scenes with the Machine and Harold. It is pretty much the only part of the show that actually interest me now.

Edit: vvvv Don't ruin the joke man :saddowns:

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 09:48 on May 7, 2016

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

evilmiera posted:

As if this show could afford buying 300 used PS3s.

Buy one PS3. Make a cast of it. Use that cast to produce a bunch of cheap plastic shells with a few LEDs in them. Problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Shakugan posted:

Put this off for days; I think I literally forgot how good the show was. Such incredible nerd cred with the PS3 thing.

At one point they show some code on screen for the Machine during the training sequence in S4. If you Google it it's actually Stuxnet's code that they put on screen.

• Locked thread