Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Poor Crash's adventuring career didn't work out, and now he's got to make ends meet working for more successful adventurers. Pretty tragic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Congratulations on unlocking part one of the True Endgame of FFXIV

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pray return to the Waking Sands.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Obligatum VII posted:

I believe you meant to say that Tataru is the best character.

Agreed. Not only is she adorable, she goes through probably the most character development of all the Scions for the longest time. Which is remarkable for a largely background character.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elentor posted:

Pray return to the Waking Sands.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Seasonal Event 2014 - All Saints' Wake

It's Halloween for us, and it's All Saints' Wake for Eorzea, and the Continental Circus are back visiting Gridania. While peddling some wares for Aggro, Crash decided he'd take a break in 2014 and see what they have in store. Yes, we're really rolling with that dumb spooky premise. Being trapped in the past is no laughing matter.

This year's event sets a trend for the following All Saints' Wakes. An NPC is often investigating the Continental Circus, which we learned in the previous year's event was actually a group of voidsent. When discovered, they pleaded innocent, but the Adventurers' Guild is rarely convinced.

Since setting up for the festivities, they have yet to do any harm, but there is no guarantee that that will remain the case. Upon learning that the circus is recruiting helpers, I thought to volunteer myself that I might get close its members and determine if they pose a threat. Alas, at some point, they became aware of my intent, and I can no longer proceed as planned.

Godriquelain wants Crash to volunteer instead, as he won't stir up any suspicion. No problem there.

As you may know, All Saints' Wake used to be terrifying business. While the saints feasted in the heavens, the fiends wreaked havoc on the realm below. But these days, the Wake is all about having fun, and we of the Continental Circus have made it our mission to see that everyone has a frighteningly good time!

I don't know about you, but this sounds good to me! They don't seem all that dangerous at all. But how do they plan to do this?

Through the art of illusion, that's how! I shall cast a spell that will lend you a most frightening guise. While in that guise, I would have you terrorize the citizens. The people you see in Old Gridania should make suitable victims. But without further ado, let the terror begin!

And just like that, Crash has been put under a spell of transfiguration. This can take many shapes, but right now Crash is currently a bat.

The effect itself can last 30 minutes, so there's no concern with it coming off.

I decide to toggle it off a little bit just to get a more visible form. Hmm... not big enough.

Not quite the big I mean.

There we have it. So, there are multiple voidsent outcomes and an additional Grand Company glamour dependent on the city you're in. Since Crash is in Gridania, that means he can pretend to be Kan-E-Senna. Ul'dah also gets a bonus in that Nanamo is also playable, and it's also possible to take the form of Minfilia as well.

They even have the full range of all of Crash's emotes too. It's a lot of fun to mess about with.

This quest is pretty straight forward. You just need to interact with the quest-marked NPCs to progress it. What's kind of neat is that they'll sometimes have different dialogue if you're the Grand Company leader. There's three NPCs too spook, all with some variation of surprise at the disguise, and then the realisation that it's a glamour.

They're pretty easy to find even without the minimap, and all of the NPCs show up in other quests.

Each NPC will also get a little bit of narration to suggest that they enjoyed the scare. We're spreading cheer through fear! With his objective complete, Crash returns to the Uncanny Illusionist to let her know the good news!

The good news seems to shock and disappoint her a little bit. Fortunately, she confesses that she was just rehearsing for a play. Since we've done such a good job, the Illusionist asks Crash to spread the joy with Limsa Lominsa too.

Huh. It seems that there's another Pumpkin-headed person watching. Unlike the last event, this pumpkin-head is a woman.

Though she's eerily missing when Crash decides to look back.

Huh. Anyway, before we trail off to Limsa, Crash should probably go and report to Godriquelain.

He seems rather confused about the whole ordeal, and asks that Crash continues the investigation - which they're now moving to Limsa. Well, we best be off then.

Our investigation buddy seems to be fixed in a state of perplexity. Well, no matter. Let's go spook some Lominsans.

Actually, our task is a little bit different this time. This Untrustworthy Illusionist wants Crash to light three lanterns in three locations in a specific order.

Oh! That sure sounds like fun! Crash will still need to take the form of something intimidating, which will stop anyone else from bothering him while he places lanterns.

Oh, hey! A new form!

Despite the fact that the aim of the quest is to light some lanterns, there's still some new dialogue with some NPCs. Crash decides to lighten up people's day with a visit from the Admiral of Limsa Lominsa herself. This is in no way a sign of his desire to be a roegadame.

Baderon isn't all too pleased to find a lantern just dumped on his bar.

Fortunately, he's quick to change his tune. The NPCs in Limsa will all follow this pattern where they get annoyed until they realise that it's for All Saints' Wake.

They also all make comments about possibly getting rid of or moving the lantern later. That doesn't bode well and I hope they keep them in the spirit of the festival. They do need to be placed very specifically.

All three NPCs are scattered around in the Upper Decks, so it barely takes five minutes to finish. It's time to return to the illusionist and give him the good news.

He's very happy, and also very into his role.

A conversation between two Yellowjackets carries over to you.

It's a real shame that they had to be disposed of, but it would really suck if someone got hurt. That's definitely not in the spirit of All Saints' Wake.

Crash still gets the feeling that he's being followed, but he continues to glance over after the pumpkin-headed lady is already gone. Well, we better return to Godriquelain.

He continues to be concerned by the tasks that Crash is being given. Perhaps we got lucky there? In any case, Godriquelain would see to it that we disrupt their Ul'dah activities as well.

It turns out that the situation in Ul'dah is very different. Under the guise of a costume parade, onlookers will be barraged by a charm designed to bring happiness and fortune to the victim. Free happiness and fortune in Ul'dah? Now that's some scary stuff!

The Unsavory Illusionist would like Crash to hand out some flyers while under transfiguration. The sinister part is yet to come, however!

Oh, and be sure to say this to each person who receives a flyer: "If you invite fourteen people within four hours and then join the parade, you will know great happiness!" It's a surefire way to make the parade a rousing success!

Spine-chilling stuff.

Yes. This will do wonderfully.

Beside Crash is actually another player in the final voidsent transfiguration. The Grand Company leaders are the best though.

Raubahn is a pretty popular dude.

Each quest-marked NPC must be handed a Parade Flyer. As with the previous quest, the Illusionist is satisfied with only three handed out.

The usual pattern for the 2014 event persists.

This time, each NPC is located strictly in the Quicksand. What's more, they all promise to try and bring fourteen people. Eorzeans are pretty naive when it comes to chain letters flyers.

More excitingly, Crash will get to participate in the parade! Hooray! He'll have to be transfigurated once more, and this time will cast Festal Cant on anyone watching the spooky costume parade.The Illusionist does warn about the Thaumaturges, though.

For reasons unclear, they bear our troupe no love, and will seek to spoil our efforts to spread joy in Ul'dah. Should you cast the charm upon them, they will strip you of your illusion.

I don't apologise for the bad photoshop.

It turns out that the parade is actually a city-state FATE. It needs to be started before it can begin, and you need to be transfigurated instead of level synced to participate. However, in a bit of an oversight, you can't actually start the FATE unless you're in your regular form. It's a bit clunky to have to remove the buff, start the FATE, and then skip through some dialogue to get the buff back, but whatever.

The Unusual Illusionist exists to help you get your form back in the FATE.

It's only through the Unusual Illusionist that Crash will be able to use Festal Cant.

The objective is to hit at least 6 Citizens within the time limit. Accidentally hitting a Thaumaturge will dispel the transfiguration buff, and that can be crippling. The FATE actually moves across Ul'dah all the way to the Ossuary where the Thaumaturge Guild is, so losing the buff and having to run back to the Unusual Illusionist can make you miss out on the Citizens that you need. The FATE won't stay near them for long, and stepping outside will also make Crash lose the buff.

It can actually get pretty difficult, as the FATE moves between groups very quickly. I surprisingly saw a lot of people fail this one. The AoE indicator is actually a little misleading.

To make the final stretch harder, the NPCs will also run around a lot. You can get the hang of this very fast, but it was still trick for some.

I managed to hit the Thaumaturge as well, which ultimately sealed Crash to getting no higher than a Silver Reward for the FATE.

The FATE will reward Crash with Demonic Cookies whenever he clears it. A bronze drops only one cookie, while a gold drops six. The cookies can be traded in to an NPC vendor. I actually forgot to capture footage of that, but six cookies will get a set of white pumpkin earrings that are simply just for a fashion statement. Ten will get you an Eerie Barding, but that's a chocobo feature that I'll talk about later.

The Unsavory Illusionist is pretty happy with our performance, but things start to get a little weird.

...What mission, you ask? Why, the parade, of course! What else could I be referring to? Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go and meet with Impresario. He is expecting a report. In the meantime, might I suggest that you take part in more parades? ...Where's this meeting taking place, you ask? Why, the Gold Court, of course! Where else could it - Oh... N-No one is supposed to know of this! You mustn't come, do you understand? If you do, I'll get turned into a pumpkin cookie!

This sounds a little suspicious. Perhaps Crash can finally get some answers about the nature of the troupe's seasonal events?

Crash decides to hide on the stairs leading up to Hustings' Strip, waiting for our target to show up.

It does get wearisome having to stand on these crude limbs. Very well.

I'm pleased to say that the parade was a resounding success. A gullible adventurer came along, and he followed our instructions to the letter. Turning people into our brethren rather than summoning them - it's so simple, I don't know why we didn't think of it before!

The use of illusions, the plot for each nation... That woman suggested it all. And as if that weren't enough, she offers to lead the parade! I still don't have the faintest who she is, but we couldn't've come this far without her. Hells, if I didn't know better, I'd say she's the Great Gourd of Legend come again!

Well, that was interesting. We better report to Godriquelain to inform him about the parade.

Godriquelain does what he seems to do best, and begins to frantically worry. He doesn't want anyone else to be affected, and decides that we have to stop the parade. That is, until he's interrupted by a familiar face.

Sounds like you're in a spot of bother, Godri. Trouble with the womanfolk, mayhap?

I was just at the parade with some friends, and we had a grand old time. I stood at the front of the crowd and got a double dose of the charm!

What!? M-Miss Momodi, there is something you must know. That charm is not what you think it is. It turns people... into fiends!

...People into fiends? Ahahaha! Godri, did you get into my mead while I was away? Do I look like a fiend to you? I don't think so! I appreciate your concern, but you're worryin' for naught. 'Twas a traditional charm for promotin' a sense of well-bein' what was bein' cast. I've known 'bout it since I was a wee lass. The bit about bringin' fourteen friends, though? Now that's bollocks.

Momodi then decides to head back to work. I dread to think how many adventurers have gotten lost in Ul'dah's level design when they couldn't finder her while she was at the parade.

So the Continental Circus had been misled all this time? Words do not suffice to express my relief...

Two familiar NPCs then walk behind Crash.

Hmmm... This is passing strange. Why has the transformation not begun?

I'm sure it will happen any moment now, sir. We just need to be patient.

Yes, no doubt you are right. The wait will make it all the more glorious when this city is overrun with our kind! Ahahahaha!

Crash and Godri then shake their heads at what they hear. It's often been a little bit ambiguous if the troupe were evil or not, since they're so transparent and it might all be part of the atmosphere of All Saints' Wake.

Knowing that the troupe aren't a threat, Godri and Crash part ways without one more word. Impresario and his ally also depart, making the ending kind of fade out. As a reward, Crash gets the Witch set, which is basically just the traditional witch outfit that the small Not-Lalafell was wearing.

Next time All Saints' Wake comes back, Crash will have to investigate whether the Circus will finally pose a threat, or if they're set to deliver another good time to the citizens of Eorzea. Aggro will also be participating in a Haunted Mansion at some stage too.

Here's Crash sprinting as Nanamo because why not. Sadly, I didn't capture any time as Minfilia, but we all know what she looks like anyway.

Xenoveritas also managed to snag some .gifs of Kan-E-Senna and Merlwyb for the old thread, back while this even was happening, so here those are too.

So, it turns out that Godriquelain wasn't a character new to A Realm Reborn. He was previously located in a location in the Coerthan Lowlands. Specifically, he was located in the Owl's Nest in the Coerthan Eastern Lowlands. It's good to know that he survived the Calamity. Sadly, his hometime is located in disputed territory rich with artifacts from Nael van Darnus' plans back in the storyline leading up to The Calamity. The only way to check it out in Final Fantasy XIV now is by accessing The Fields of Glory, which is a PvP duty. It was also only added in the Heavensward expansion, so come back when our Sun is a Red Dwarf to see what the Lowlands look like now.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 2, 2016

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

It's after 3am here, but SA is an American website so I'm going to just act like that still counts as successfully posting it for Halloween. I was only just able to capture footage of this year's even tonight as well.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Chapter XXXI: Meet the Team

Click to play: A New Hope

In the last update, Aggro finally met the Scions of the Seventh Dawn. Rather than accept the offer to join immediately, she ran off back to Ul'dah to finally get herself a retainer. She can now sell things on the market board and store items outside of her inventory, but she's not done with the retainers yet.

In each of the three city-states is a Troubled Adventurer with a quest. You can only complete one of the quests, but the reward is the same and the location you pick ultimately doesn't matter too much. In Eorzea, charity begins at home so Aggro will be helping the Ul'dah adventurer.

The task is actually pretty simple. The adventurers' retainer has been off hunting in Drybone, and she's gone missing. The highlander is actually a bit of a coward for an adventurer, and is too much of a wimp to go to the same dangerous place that he sent his own retainer too. What an rear end in a top hat. Since it's not her fault that her employer is a dick, Aggro will go and give her a hand.

It's a good thing I actually remembered to visit the aetheryte last time, because that saves about five minutes of travel to eastern Thanalan.

The retainer isn't very far from the camp. Her marker on the mini-map is already visible and Aggro has only just stepped outside the camp.

Aggro finds the Novice Retainer, but she's surrounded by two Rabid Mongrels. There's nothing interesting to say about them, except that they're both now feeding the buzzards that the Troubled Adventurer was so afraid of doing.

Lady, you need to find a new employer.

She has to bail, but not before trying to do what she can to reward her saviour. Aggro has to go back to the Retainer Vocate in Ul'dah to seek a reward. Let's return there with a quick teleport.

You'd like to think that the Troubled Adventurer would stick around to thank Aggro for the free favour, but nope. What a dick.

Chachabi notices Aggro's mystified expression, and explains a little bit about retainer ventures.

In cooperation with the Adventurers' Guild, we have established a new system through which retainers may be dispatched to procure items for their employers.

Basically, unlocking the retainer venture system allows Aggro's retainers to be assigned a class. With that, they can go hunting or gathering depending on the class they're assigned. Sending them off will also require the consumption of a new currency minted specifically for ventures, called ventures. Nice and simple.

Completing the quest will reward Aggro with six ventures. Let's go put them to use.

When Aggro summons her retainer, she's now got the option to assign the class.

Retainers can't become crafters, as nice as that could potentially be. Instead, they're able to be any of the combat classes that Aggro has unlocked, or any of the gathering classes that she's unlocked. We're going to make Old-fashioned a Gladiator. As far as combat classes go, it's recommended that you assign your main class to your retainer. I'll get to the reason in a moment.

The retainer options has changed again, but Old-fashioned still can't be sent away yet. You can't be a Gladiator without a sword, so Old-fashioned will need one of those first.

Equipping the retainer is the same as equipping Aggro. You can select items from your armoury chest and inventory, and just drop it on the correct slot. The stats don't actually matter for a fighting retainer (currently), but their item level will factor into later stuff so it's good to give them hand downs.

Retainers will also change their appearance in a similar way to Aggro upon equipping gear. This is Old-fashioned sporting the Wild Rose set, which you can get as a veteran reward for being subscribed for 840 days. You may recognise it as Firion's attire from Final Fantasy II.

Now that Old-fashioned is equipped with a weapon, he can finally get to work in addition to peddling some wares. There are two venture options for combat, miner, botanist, and fisher classes; as well as a third venture option that will be unlocked later. Old-fashioned can go Hunting or on a Field Exploration. The gathering classes have unique names for their own first two options, but they're functionally identical.

The first venture option (Hunting for Old-fashioned) will allow Aggro to send her retainer off for an hour to get a specified item. Leveling up will allow more options.

An Exploration venture will send them away for 18 hours and cost 2 ventures to obtain random item(s) from a pool of items. A different rank of Exploration venture is unlocked every five levels.

Completing a venture will also reward the retainer with experience points. You know how those work.

Retainers will also have different dialogue when they're on a venture. Similar to when they're selling items on the market board; Retainers can still be called back when they've been sent away. Aggro will still have full use of Old-fashioned.

When Old-fashioned returned, he was immediately boosted to level 5 by the exploration venture. It's really that good.

And that's it for retainers! We'll probably come back to Old-fashioned whenever he brings back anything interesting, or at other key points of his growth. With that done, we should return to the Scions and back to the main scenario.

Click to play: The Waking Sands

From this point on, the Solar will be accessible from inside the Waking Sands. The Solar is the name of Minfilia's room.

Aggro will need to talk to Minfilia before being able to accept the next quest.

We're also able to pick from a range of dialogue choices here, but the results aren't so interesting. We'll have Aggro say I will go whither the wild rose blooms. If you want to see the other dialogue options, then you can check the bonus video at the end of the update.

But come, I would introduce you to your friends in the order. Tell me, does the name Sharlayan ring any bells? It used to be one of Eorzea's six city-states, and was situated in the northwest of Aldenard. The Sharlayans were keepers of wisdom both old and new.

When the realm began its descent into chaos, and their countrymen fled for the motherland, they alone chose to remain here. These noble men and women were called the Archons. Those same brave souls stand before you now.

Hello there.

Well come!

He is our man here in Ul'dah, jewel of the desert.

Welcome to the team! I never doubted that you'd come!

Thancred's last sentence here is something we're getting only because we cleared the Ul'dah story. If we'd started in Gridania or Limsa Lominsa, we'd get a special line from their respective Scion instead.

If I may, the lovely maiden beside me is named Y'shtola. Limsa Lominsa has the pleasure of being under her care.

If you've been following along with Fister's LP then you'll already know about Y'shtola a little bit.

"Dawn may banish even the darkest night."

We sought out Minfilia and others with her talent, and together established the Scions of the Seventh Dawn.

Along with the Archons, those blessed with the Echo play a pivotal role in our endeavor to forge a brighter tomorrow for the realm. Oh, I should also introduce you to Tataru, our clerk. She ensures that everything runs smoothly.

God, I really dislike Tataru's voice in A Realm Reborn. Actually, I dislike a few voices in here. Spoiler: Heavensward will change the entire voice acting cast, mostly for the better.

But without further ado... I would assign you your first task. Urianger. Have the documents arrived from the Stuends of Baldesion?

Anyone who's played Final Fantasy V will catch that reference. Baldesion is the surname of Galuf and Krile.

Aye, my lady, they arrived but recently.

Thancred, would you do the honors?

It would be my pleasure. Some days ago, a crystal caravan registered to Amajina & Sons Mineral Concern was waylaid and divested of its cargo. But there is more. Within a bell of the robbery, several people were reported missing from the shantytown outside the city.

However, this time we have reason to believe that a primal is involved.

Aye, the evidence left behind implicates the Amalj'aa, who are known worshipers of Ifrit. If we consider the objects that were taken, there is no room left for doubt - the crimes were committed in the name of a primal.

Minfilia then addresses Aggro.

That you may better understand the nature of our struggle with the primals, I would have you play the leading role in this investigation.

Aggro nods.

You have my thanks. If there is aught you wish to know, I recommend you speak with Thancred. He is well versed in the affairs of Ul'dah.

Aggro has only just joined and she already has an assignment. To top it off, the assignment involves investigating an incident that may involve primals. Yeah, I can't see this going wrong at all.

All Main Scenario Cutscenes

Venture Quest

Like I said before, there's a lot of dialogue in the Waking Sands that will frequently change. There's some neat stuff to be found, and it's pretty good for some extra characterization. I'll cover it in the bonus area so that anyone that isn't interested in optional dialogue can just skip it easily.

The second, made up of individuals that share your rare gift, was known as the Path of the Twelve. The terrible events that ushered in the Seventh Umbral Era taught us that only together may we stand against the evil that seeks to consume us.

Y'shtola just gives a brief summary on the history of the Scions. Let's step inside one of the halls and visit someone we might recognise.

The first NPC we meet inside is Brendt, from the opening cutscenes of the game. I'm actually not sure if we'd have met the other versions of Brendt from the Gridania or Limsa Lominsa storylines if we had started there or not, but he's someone to pay attention to. His developments are kind of interesting.

Una Tayuun is another interesting character. She's actually from 1.0, and belonged to the Circle of Knowing. She was also a bit of a jerk to the protagonist of that game, but hey, it's been five years and it seems like she has her own troubles right now.

Only we didn't have such a fancy name back then, an' the headquarters was in a far more convenient location. At least, I think it was... Or is me mind playin' tricks on me? Gods, what's wrong with me? Why can't I remember it more clearly?

The small group of newly recruited adventurers also have some interesting things to say. Eorzea can be a dark place.

But Arenvald shouldn't be pitied. Boys like him have a clean slate, an opportunity to write their own story, free of the ties that bind the common man.

I'm sure the racial discrimination he gets truly does make him free.

They say that those of us who have seen the dream are chosen, that we have within us the seed of greatness. That we could be heroes. Even me, an Ala Mhigan half-breed, cast out when his mother could no longer stand the sight of him. A half-breed who once took to banditry just to eat. Aye, I'm sure I'm just brimming with heroic potential...

I'm rooting for you, Arenvald!

The robberies and disappearances? The Amalj'aa are the most likely culprit, wouldn't you agree? Then again, this is Thanalan - one cannot discount the possibility that moneyed interests are involved.

Let's see what our new Scion buddies have to say. We'll start with Urianger.

"Seven waning moons see seven suns rise, Divine order roils, fallen corpses writhe." Thus the Divine Chronicles seek to warn us once more. The meaning of these words now shines clear: they evoke the dire circumstance of this imperiled age. The realm doth shudder and twist, and the dawn lieth cowering 'neat the stifling blanket of night. And we abide. We await the coming of the unborn era's seed - the light which shall pierce the glowering darkness.

While there are others who possess the Echo, none are near as strong as you with the power. Hence our extremely high expectations of you!

This place is called the Waking Sands, and it's our headquarters. It used to be somewhere else, you know, but then a bunch of things happened, and we ended up here instead!

There wasn't too much here at the moment, but there'll be some neat little things as we progress. Now that we've met the main characters of the game, I'll make sure to stop by the Waking Sands every now and then and see what they're all up to.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I'm glad you're transcribing the Waking Sands extra dialogue. I never took the time to talk to NPCs unless they gave me quests or sold things, etc.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Same, I didn't talk to any of them my first time through the story. Then I got drunk one night and deleted my first character for some reason I don't remember. Second time through I paid a lot more attention to NPC dialogue, there's a fair few interesting little sub-stories among them (i'm sad were still so, so far away from the saga of Hoary Boulder.)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fun fact: you can occasionally find NPC retainers out in the world. They don't actually have any relation to player retainers, but you can find them walking around, mining, fishing, or logging. They'll also have little speech bubbles like other NPCs.

I found this little guy a few months back:

Apparently there's a fisher NPC that will reel in a fish and say "Master Sephirothxxx will be pleased!" That name isn't just a standin, it's actually something ridiculous like that.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The Waking Sands...

It begins...:unsmigghh: :unsmigghh: :unsmigghh:

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

As far as the Heavensward update to the Voice Actors go: One of the things you'll notice as we move through the patches when Aggro hits 50 is that the Lalafell females will become less and less 'squeaky' and start sounding more like actual people. I clicked the video just to hear Tataru again and it's just... wow. There's another recurring Lalafell female who has a voice actress coming up later, I believe, and she sounds really bad now, btu by the time she's speaking in Heavensward, sounds like an actual adult.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I'm not going to lie. I wasn't prepared for Tataru's voice when I was recording this.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Chapter IX: Ogre Battle

Last time, Freddie thwarted a piratical attack on the Moraby Drydocks. But as it turns out, there was a mysterious note among the pirate leader's belongings.

GHIMTHOTA: Freddie. In light of your role in recent events, there are few others to whom I would entrust this task. Since last we spoke, a curious missive has been discovered amongst the personal effects of Ahtzapfyn, the pirate behind the plot to sabotage the Victory.

This missive was penned in the most unusual script─a script we believe to be some manner of code. Needless to say, anything which a proven enemy of Limsa Lominsa deems worthy of enciphering is like to be of great interest to the Maelstrom. Unfortunately, none among us can make any sense of the message.

In cases such as this, I am told the Yellowjackets are wont to turn to Baderon and his convenient...connections. Thus I would have you deliver this missive to the proprietor of the Drowning Wench. Into his hand, and no other, do you understand?

Back to Limsa!

BADERON: Ahtbyrm laid out the entire tale fer me. Poor sod was still reelin' at 'is old man's part in the business, but at least ye kept the Victory from bein' sunk afore she'd sailed. An' fer that, I owe ye me thanks! Ye've really made a name fer yerself 'ere in Limsa, lad. Folk know that when they need summat doin'─

Eh? You need summat doin'? An' what might that be?

Ye know, yer like one o' me regulars now, Freddie. Ye've never let me down yet, an', Navigator 'elp me, I reckon I can trust ye. Ghimthota was right to want this message deciphered... We've got us some trouble brewin', 'ere, an' no mistake. Get ready fer action, an' I'll explain.

Truth be told, the script was only too bloody familiar. Them's Sahagin letters, lad. An' I should know─I've gutted more fishback messengers than I can count.

Looks like they meant to raise eight kinds of 'ell in western La Noscea, then 'it the Maelstrom's new flagship in the confusion. The point bein', the attack on the Victory weren't the act of a few rebellious pirates─'twas a key part o' some canny bastard's grand plan.

But if I'm readin' this aright, the attack itself came much too early. I'll wager they panicked when they saw ye was on to 'em, rushed in to do the job, an' buggered it up.

Baderon ponders for a moment, as a couple of familiar faces exit the Wench.

BADERON: The fishbacks ain't interested in the Maelstrom's baby! They're after men, just like they've always been. They're sendin' their pirate lackeys after a civilian target. This bit about raisin' 'ell in western La Noscea...that's where it'll be. Summat tells me Swiftperch is about to get 'it, an' 'it 'ard!

Swiftperch is a bit of a leap of logic, as it's basically a shantytown. But if the sahagin are trying to kidnap civilians, it's the least defended settlement in La Noscea by far.

Baderon quickly scribbles a note.

BADERON: Take it to Commodore Reyner at the Coral Tower, an' tell 'im 'e's in fer a busy day. Oh, an' give 'im an 'and, eh? Ye can be drat sure 'e'll need one.

With a swift yet stoic nod, Freddie is off to deliver the news.

Freddie is already the talk of the town. I told you he was going to be a star.

REYNER: You are to be commended for your part in thwarting the plot to destroy the Victory. Now, what can I do for you this day?

Baderon's chickenscratch is somehow less legible than the sahagin code.

REYNER: Even so, it would be foolish to discount the possibility─Baderon is rarely wrong about such matters. I will marshal the Yellowjackets for battle immediately. The only question is where to send them. While I concur with Baderon's assessment that the attack on the Drydocks was intended as a diversion, Swiftperch is but one of several possible targets for the main thrust.

Tidegate is a large wall separating Western La Noscea from the sahagin lands. The sahagin occasionally make probing strikes against it, but rarely a massed assault. Breeching the Tidegate would precipitate a massive invasion.

REYNER: Muster the troops and give the order to march.

...Which means there is every chance this assault on Tidegate may yet prove to be another feint. The fact remains, however, that we can ill afford to ignore it. And that leaves Swiftperch vulnerable to those pirate traitors.

It is at times such as these that I wish the Warriors of Light yet walked among us. But wishes will avail us naught. Quicksilver, you must serve in their absence. Make for Swiftperch with all haste and lend your strength to the squads I can spare for the settlement's defense.

With not a moment to spare, Freddie instantly teleports to Swiftperch!

And then he waits for a couple hours because I want good lighting for screen shots.

You may recall that Ryssfloh was the guy giving Freddie poo poo at the entrance to Limsa.

RYSSFLOH: In any case, do you know what you're fighting for here? This place─Swiftperch─it was rebuilt by folk who stood strong in the face of every hardship the Calamity threw their way. And we're not about to let some fish-fancying scum claim the honor of being the ones who finally broke their spirits. Don't give those pirate bastards one bloody ilm, you hear me?

Freddie's ready as he'll ever be.

Now the battle is on!

There's a tonze of targets to choose from here, and this is the perfect opportunity for Freddie to spread Miasma and Bio all over the battlefield.

Enemy reinforcements arrive. The diviners are healers, so the healing reduction effect from Miasma is somewhat useful in this battle.

In a final act of desperation, the reavers summon a voidsent creature, but it too falls quickly to Freddie's arcane might. And the great big fight is over!

With the Yellowjackets gone, a mysterious masked mage creeps out of the shadows!

I think this guy is supposed to be threatening, but he's a complete pushover. Also, fun fact, you can see in the upper right corner that this peculiar weather pattern is known as "Darkness".

The venom ticks for single digit damage. Freddie shows him what DOTs really are.

Of course, Y'Shtola shows up to killsteal- I mean save the day. She still does more damage than I can, but the disparity is no longer as great as it was when we fought the goobbue together.

Y'SHTOLA: It would seem our suspicions were correct─it is they who have been manipulating the beast tribes.
Pardon? You would know if we Sharlayans have encountered Ascians before?

...I have never spoken to you of my homeland. How did you know whence I hail?

Wait. I do begin to see. You have been blessed with a special gift.

RYSSFLOH: Well, at least now we can call this kidnapping investigation to a close. Those Reavers were the ones spiriting folk away in the dead of night, and this bastard here was pulling all the strings.

Y'SHTOLA: I came as soon as I sensed his presence, but I never thought to find such a scene of carnage. Yet we prevailed. And thanks to your heroic actions, I have learned much.

RYSSFLOH: And your assistance is much appreciated, too, Lady Y'shtola. Please give our regards to the Scions.

Y'SHTOLA: I am glad to have played a role in bringing what I hope is an end to this disturbing spate of abductions.

Y'SHTOLA: For now, however, you must see this particular tale to its conclusion. Pray send my greetings to Commodore Reyner.

As they leave, Freddie spots a dark crystal where the Ascian fell.

It vanishes into the aether.

With the battle won, it's time to return triumphant to Limsa Lominsa. Next time: the Limsa Lominsa storyline draws to a close.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

This is a pretty cool remix that I haven't actually listened to before. Also, I love that Ryssfloh comes back and you get a wrap upon the fight, as opposed to in Ul'dah where the whole plotline is dropped once the Sultansworn leave the field.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Apparently there's a fisher NPC that will reel in a fish and say "Master Sephirothxxx will be pleased!" That name isn't just a standin, it's actually something ridiculous like that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Well, that's certainly something.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

I feel like that name was longer when ventures were first introduced, like xXxSephiroth42xXx. They must have changed it because people commented that it didn't fit into the first name character limit.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Minfilia is so pushy. "Hopefully you'll come to think of us as friends" makes sense. Y'know, more than colleagues or fellow beast slayers or whatever you wanna call it. Family though? That's a leap hon, settle down, it's been an hour.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never ever thought of Minfilia as anything remotely close to the definition of "friend" to my character.

Her relation to you is more akin to a boss who takes credit for your work.

Edit: Even Square jokes about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuELXU0OEs4

Elentor fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Nov 8, 2016

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Elentor posted:

I've never ever thought of Minfilia as anything remotely close to the definition of "friend" to my character.

Her relation to you is more akin to a boss who takes credit for your work.

Edit: Even Square jokes about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuELXU0OEs4

That video does contain a few very minor spoilers about some characters, nothing major though, I'd say.

Also, We sadly don't get to see the Scions be this bad-rear end for a long time. It'll be quite some time before the Scions really get involved with fights.

Though on a slightly different topic, To me it's interesting that the Scion who is the most useless (Minfillia), never grows out of this. She never shows anything that she brings uniquely to the table. This is made more clear with the end of the 3.4 MSQ. On the other hand, the character that feels she herself is the most useless and tries to fix that (Tataru) is arguably the most important member of the Scions, second only to the PC, and is constantly proving her value.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Sorry for the lack of an update this past week. I'll try to have one posted soon so we can finally reach (or almost reach) the first of one of the the best types of content in this game.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

This one took a while, but we should be back to getting more frequent updates again.

Chapter XXXII: A Proper Burial

Click to play: The Waking Sands

Last time we left Aggro, she had joined the Scions of the Seventh Dawn and been given an assignment to investigate possible Primal involvement in some disappearances in around Thanalan. Crystals and people have both been going missing and, as she's new, Aggro is to take lead on this investigation.

Now, since the attack on their caravan, our friends at Amajina & Sons Mineral Concern have doubled security over all their shipments. In light of this, it is my judgement that the abductions should be our priority.

Do the Amajina & Sons Mineral Concern actually get any work done? Between the Copperbell Mines being closed and shipments being stolen, they can't be doing too well.

A fellow by the name of Isembard serves as the camp's de facto leader. Pay him a visit, and see that he gives us his full cooperation.

As usual, since we've been there before; our destination is mostly just a teleport away. It saves having to travel through central Thanalan again to reach it, which you'd likely have to do if you started in another region.

Click to play: The Gift of Life

Isembard is located just in front of the aetheryte plaza and seems to already be aware of our investigation.

Now, I bear no official title at this camp, but the people here have come to look to me for leadership. You have my word that I'll do all I can see to help see the victims safely returned.

Finishing this scenery change quest will also result in two accessory options. They're both necklaces and are for either physical or magic classes. Their stats are effectively the same, unless you're a tanking class that will only see 0.45 attack power instead of 1.

This actually still isn't better than the level 1 accessories that was added after Heavensward was released. The Accuracy +1 can be okay, but the recent attribute adjustments just makes this worse for Aggro, and I don't think Aggro has missed any of her attacks in a long time. The saving grace is the materia slot to put in that missing Vitality point, but we don't even know how to use materia yet. This is going straight in the bin.

For what it's worth; the Brass Gorget used to be a reasonable upgrade. Anyway, let's get back to speaking to Isembard.

Speaking with Isembard again, Aggro gathers a little bit of intel on the prospective culprit.

There have been brutal murders of callers at the Church of Saint Adama Landama - innocents wishing no more than to pay their respects to the dead. The poor souls deserve a proper burial. I would see to the deed before the mongrels catch their scent, but I know not if the Amalj'aa still linger. Would you secure their remains for me, friend? You will find them on the eastern road.

Dammit, Isembard. That's not intel. That's just you making Aggro do your dirty work for you! Oh, whatever. Aggro is the type of adventurer to just aimlessly do what she's told anyway.

gently caress you, buddy.

Fortunately, the innocents didn't get far from Camp Drybone before they were slaughtered. Actually, can that even be considered fortunate? Oh, well.

Click to play: The Land Burns

Of course, Aggro is attacked by the Amalj'aa as she approaches the Ripe Corpses. They're pretty nonthreatening (I mean, they're level 12), but since this will be a dialogue heavy update I can probably use this to talk a little bit more about the combat. We already know how it works, so I can use encounters like this to go into a little bit more depth.

You might remember that auto-attacks are worth 100 potency of damage, where potency is essentially just a percentage of Aggro's base damage. You'd be forgiven for forgetting all about auto-attack, because the animations for it are often overwritten by ability animations and it's rarely visible. The truth is that Aggro will still auto-attack even when using her actions, but the damage won't always match up to the 100 potency.

Instead, auto-attacks are intended to inflict 100 potency over every 3 seconds (roughly). Aggro's current sword has a Delay value of 1.92 seconds, which means she gets about 64 potency with each auto-attack strike instead. Besides Weapon Damage, which serves as a damage multiplier, the other weapon stats are pretty superfluous and generally average out to be the same otherwise. They're flavour.

Anyway, the Amalj'aa are now dead leaving Aggro to pick up the ripe corpses. They're represented by a flower icon, but they used to be represented by some Hyur's face instead. Being a super tall Roegadyn, I guess Aggro's pockets are large enough to fit three dead Hyurs.

It begins to rain on her way back to Isembard in Camp Drybone. Despite the name, you'll probably see this weather a lot here. It's actually believed that the rain is caused by the air being swollen with tears from the lichyard nearby. In any case, I actually quite like the rain effect. Things actually get wet (including hair), and there's some neat visuals in the air.

But enough about weather and auto-attacks, let's finish off this bit of fluff. Aggro whips out some corpses from her pocket, and hands them over to Isembard. She also tells him about the Amalj'aa, who for some reason decided to stick around some corpses for several days. I feel like this was basically a bit of busywork to gain Isembard's favour, but we're kind of lucky to already confirm that the Amalj'aa are involved.

The occasional Amalj'aa raiding party would not account for people going missing in these kinds of numbers. It would not surprise me in the least to learn of another hand in this. But whose? Countless travelers pass through Drybone every day.

Drybone serves as a waypoint between Ul'dah and Gridania, so that's a lot of potential suspects to deal with. It's quite a dilemma. The quest also finishes here, and continuing the main scenario requires that Aggro now be level 18. Fortunately, she's overshot it by four, so let's continue.

There is a merchant by the name of Ungust who was born here in Drybone and grew up in the Golden Bazaar. A... rough character, but he knows the people here better than anyone else. I'd wager he's at the inn, quaffing away the day's earnings.

Let's use this opportunity to get out of the rain. We don't want Aggro catching a chill, do we? The inn is located across the other side of the aetheryte.

Ungust is located at the bar, as Isembard suspected, and hey. He looks sort of familiar.

He's actually the creepy and obnoxious merchant from the comedy battle in Ul'dah after Aggro ventured into the Copperbell Mines, and he's not too happy to see Aggro again.

Folk around here are as wary as they come. They'll turn tail and run if you so much as pass wind nearby. Played them all for fools and coaxed some hard labour out of them, I did.

What an rear end in a top hat. Aggro really shouldn't have let him go back in Ul'dah. In any case, he also has a point with talking to the people of Drybone. Hopefully that'll give Aggro a better lead away from this guy.

Sadly, the responses to Aggro are all pretty much the same. People are spooked when they're approached and flee. Ugh, I guess we're going back to Ungust then.

The barman does a good job at reading Aggro's mind.

There's been talk of folk getting abducted, but if you ask me, they simply up and moved on to a better place. This place isn't exactly Costa del Sol, if you know what I'm saying.

Ungust then leaves before Aggro gets in another stoic nod. Time to report back to Isembard and see if there are any other leads to follow up on. Also, yes, that was a Final Fantasy VII reference. Sort of. We'll get to that in due time.

Aggro's next lead, and next quest objective, is in the Church of Saint Adama Landama, named after a rich saint and tended by thaumaturges who worship Thal - the Nald'thal twin who keeps to the realm of the dead. It's slightly northwest of the camp. Of course, Isembard has another favour to ask of Aggro involving the dead.

Seek out a man named Marques - he tends the graves of the lichyard. He will tell you where the body is to be interred.

Soundtrack ends.

The church is basically just up the hill from Drybone, and is pretty hard to miss. Marques is located just outside of it.

I... I apologize, miss. If you seek a place of burial, then there is an empty grave atop the ridge. Take the path and lay him to rest there.

I do this every time, but I always find myself wandering around the path leading to the burial site while trying to find it.

It's actually directly behind Marques. For some reason, I always run out the gates into the graveyard.

Once at the top, Aggro literally pulls the embalmed corpse from her pocket. Just how deep are adventurers' pockets, anyway?

Of course then she has to bury it. Can't leave a corpse just lying out in the rain.

And we're done. The person who the body belonged to must have been rich, because being embalmed is actually a bit of a luxury for this church that does free burials. Let's hope this doesn't make the cheaper buried denizens jealous enough to become vengeful, as they are sometimes wont to do around here.

But maybe Sister Ourcen can. She has been kind to me. Everyone... everyone has been so kind. I don't know why, though. I... Pardon me. You will find Sister Ourcen within the church walls.

There's fortunately not as much fluff in this quest line as there was in the final stretch of Ul'dah, but it worms its way in here and there. Burying the dead is kind of a weird bit of fluff, though. Sister Ourcen is located nearby in the church, and will actually be key to our investigation here in eastern Thanalan.

Should I learn anything pertinent, I will be sure to share the information with you. <sigh> I only wish Marques would be more helpful in the matter. I pray he did nothing to offend. He saw... terrible things during the Calamity. His scars run deep. Indeed, he seems to now prefer the company of the dead over the living.

You might as well go and forget about Marques after this random info dump from next to nowhere. He's likely to not show up again or be relevant in any way. Nope. In any case, it's time to return to Isembard and inform him that his advice has been of no help again.

Traveling down the hill again, Aggro finds a sorry sight.

You've been keeping yourself rather busy of late, haven't you, Aggro?

Prostration, prayer, penance. Abject deeds done behind closed doors, away from prying eyes. Who better to take the pious unawares than she who takes confession - the good Sister Ourcen herself?

Ourcen!? She wouldn't... She couldn't!

Still, the lichkeeper Marques... I'd swear to the Twelve I've seen that face elsewhere before...

And that's literally where the quest ends. Considering how scared the residents of Camp Drybone are of Aggro, believing that the abductor would be someone that they can trust, such as a Sister of their Church, isn't too far fetched. But what Ungust has said still doesn't seem too unbelievable either. Thanalan is rife with ghost towns, and it wouldn't be surprising to see Camp Drybone slowly take that route.

Aggro also gets to pick between two equipment again. This time, it's body armour, but they're not too exciting. Her current level 15 dungeon drop is better, but this wouldn't be too bad if she were a melee DPS. Of course, the second option is the Disciple of Magic equivalent of the Cotton Acton - the Cotton Dalmatica. The Acton has two materia slots, so maybe we can find some use for it later.

All Dialogue

Auto-attack was actually a thing in 1.0 as well, but earlier versions of the game lacked it. Before it was added, you would have to use actions like Pierce or Light Slash, which would generate TP to allow you to use stronger actions. You actually had to balance Stamina cost of actions with TP cost. A much later version of 1.0 added auto-attacks, which filled the TP generation role instead, and stripped Stamina from the game. They no longer impact TP in A Realm Reborn.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

The way I play this game, I often spend a while screwing around with side content, crafting and leveling other classes, so I don't advance the main story often, or for long. So I completely forgot that Marques showed up this early.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I can only surmise that Camp Drybone was named ironically, because it rains more there than in any other zone in Thanalan.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Even with all qol features XIV has, these quests are still a bit of a PITA.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I'll at least grant the quests that they move the story forward, even if it's not without weird distractions. I'm pretty honestly dreading getting to the storyline everyone always points to when talking about vanilla FFXIV's filler.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

CrashScreen posted:

I'll at least grant the quests that they move the story forward, even if it's not without weird distractions. I'm pretty honestly dreading getting to the storyline everyone always points to when talking about vanilla FFXIV's filler.

I really recommend you just give the Cole's Notes version of that poo poo. Just screenshot one line of dialogue per thing. I have no idea what the devs were thinking, the joke stopped being funny halfway through.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

A surprising number of quest in this game have you hauling someones corpse around.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I haven't seen a single laundromat yet, but Aggro should really wash her gear after hauling around a bunch of water-logged rotting corpses. This sure is a corpsey quest line.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

That might explain why everyone will be so quick to give her new equipment. It's pretty gross.

e: Also, loading this page on my phone has made me realise how much of a pain reading new posts is, so I might hold the next update for the next page if possible.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Nov 23, 2016

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
Looking forward to seeing the FFXIV filler again, mostly because I completely glossed over the story until... 2.2 I think, so I don't even remember half of the vanilla game.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Carlioo posted:

Looking forward to seeing the FFXIV filler again, mostly because I completely glossed over the story until... 2.2 I think, so I don't even remember half of the vanilla game.

FFXIV honestly gets better after the FFXIV story. Everything after 50 owns bones.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Why do MMOs have such high level requirements. In pretty much every other Final Fantasy you're going through the final dungeon by the time you're level 50.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You go through the final dungeon of FF14 at level 50.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

There's a few reasons, but I think both balance and just having things to do for the player base (and thus retaining subscription fees) is why most MMO content is designed for max level players.

Using FFXIV as an example and without spoilers, the ARR level 1 - 50 story is like half of the content of the game (it might even be less than that, honestly, and that's putting aside Heavensward). That's because they kept adding additional content to the game every three months, and almost all of that was content for players who have beaten the game in order to keep them interested. Building the meat of your content around a specific level also lets you design battle content around the idea that you have x ability or can deal y amount of damage too. That isn't to say that there isn't a sense of progression at end-game either.

That's kind of my take on it, but I was never able to stick around in an MMO long enough to play the end-game until FFXIV came along, so I could be wrong too?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schwartzcough posted:

Why do MMOs have such high level requirements. In pretty much every other Final Fantasy you're going through the final dungeon by the time you're level 50.

The number itself is symbolic, it could have been 50, 100 or 30. MMOs are tuned for played time. Levels in themepark Everquest clones are even more symbolic. They're not like levels in an MMO like Ragnarok Online where you have to grind infinitely and only 1% of the population ever maxes out.

Everything is on rails and you level up naturally as you do the content, more or less like in every other Final Fantasy. The bulk of the game is made for max level players. You're expected to reach max level within a reasonable time frame. That time frame can be a few hours (WoW allows you to do that if you have the means)/a few days/a few weeks/a few months depending on how much time you play.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Elentor posted:

Everything is on rails and you level up naturally as you do the content, more or less like in every other Final Fantasy. The bulk of the game is made for max level players. You're expected to reach max level within a reasonable time frame. That time frame can be a few hours (WoW allows you to do that if you have the means)/a few days/a few weeks/a few months depending on how much time you play.

It also depends on how much side stuff and leveling other classes you do. So for me getting to 50 took more than half a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah if you sidetrack it can take forever to finish the game since this is one huge, huge game. Like I said, it depends on your schedule. All I'm saying is that max level in FFXIV isn't "high level" it is just the status quo of where you're expected to be. Which is not the case of being max level in a single player Final Fantasy game.

This is especially true for FFXIV even more so than other MMOs because you can play it like a single player campaign and the whole thing just keeps going on forever and ever long after you defeat the final boss from the baseline campaign at level 50. This is one big game.