Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I've been pondering Breath of the Wild's hypothetical "Majora's Mask" follow up and I'm really in love with the idea of a spawling city of medieval fantasy towers. Something like if you built Stormwind on top of Ironforge and made them both much bigger. In this version you get around not via a glider, but a pair of clawshots. Nearly every surface can be latched onto, and they propel you with momentum equal to the distance you shoot a target from. While in the air, you go into the same bullet time as bows in BotW. You essentially get to spidermans around whatever Not-Hyrule setting works for the next game.

And to take the superhero connection a bit further, in a callback to LttP, you are branded an enemy of the state by Primary Antagonist after the tutorial, and will be fled from by townsfolk and chased by guards. Fortunately, however, Tingle knows the truth and makes you a disguise so you can go out in public unharassed. A Tingle disguise. However, throughout the game you'll be able to find hidden costume pieces and craft your own weird rear end superhero identity. Maybe people will even call you different things depending on what you're wearing. You use these disguises to interact with villagers and get their quests. You, as some weird Link superhero, get to solve their problems and create some kind of legend for yourself in the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Apparently there's a drat paragliding course on Eventide Island after you beat the Shrine Quest there??? Hell yeah!
Also: just saw the final Kass song. That's really cool and again something I can't believe is so easily missable.

I think that little song and the way he affects the music in the Rito Village are the best quest rewards in the game. :3: But I'm super sentimental.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Another reason to do the Vah Naboris is so you can complete all the Gerudo quests and get one of the most useful items in the game, at least in my opinion.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

GobiasIndustries posted:

Another reason to do the Vah Naboris is so you can complete all the Gerudo quests and get one of the most useful items in the game, at least in my opinion.

This is very true. I think this is a pretty compelling reason too, though I'm not looking forward to doing a lot of those quests.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
BY the time I finally got around to finishing all of the gerudo quests the other day so I could get that, I had actually gotten all 3 rubber armors upgraded :v:

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

BY the time I finally got around to finishing all of the gerudo quests the other day so I could get that, I had actually gotten all 3 rubber armors upgraded :v:

I have them upgraded but they don't seem to protect against lightning. They helped a bit while boarding and Riju was being derpy with her seal though. I think I got zapped less. It helped that with 21 hearts I could take two hits before needing to heal.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I've been pondering Breath of the Wild's hypothetical "Majora's Mask" follow up and I'm really in love with the idea of a spawling city of medieval fantasy towers. Something like if you built Stormwind on top of Ironforge and made them both much bigger. In this version you get around not via a glider, but a pair of clawshots. Nearly every surface can be latched onto, and they propel you with momentum equal to the distance you shoot a target from. While in the air, you go into the same bullet time as bows in BotW. You essentially get to spidermans around whatever Not-Hyrule setting works for the next game.

Attach the clawshots to a belt and make all the enemies mindless giants

Attack on Hyrule

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

The Lobster posted:

I have them upgraded but they don't seem to protect against lightning. They helped a bit while boarding and Riju was being derpy with her seal though. I think I got zapped less. It helped that with 21 hearts I could take two hits before needing to heal.

all the way? i dont have with me atm but im pretty sure the set bonus is lightning proof...

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

all the way? i dont have with me atm but im pretty sure the set bonus is lightning proof...

Upgraded twice anyway. The set bonus is Shock Proof.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Is 'flame proof' different to 'heat proof'? Related, where do I get flame retardant gear? I wanna make friends w/ some Gorons but keep bursting into flames.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Drewjitsu posted:

I'm not sure if this makes it more or less :unsmith: (or :smith:), but it's heavily implied that the previous owner was YOU, from 100 years ago. At least that's what was thought earlier in the thread, and I agree.

Or it belonged to Link's dad or uncle or whatever he had. Link's 17 when the Calamity shows up and he must have been at the Castle being a bodyguard for a while before then, so he'd be pretty young to own a house himself.

Feenix posted:

without giving too much away what (from a skill/ability perspective) would be the best next Divine Beast to go do? I have done Vah Rutah the Elephant.

Vah Medoh, the Rito one.

I prophesy that you'll get distracted and end up going in a completely different direction though!

well why not posted:

Is 'flame proof' different to 'heat proof'? Related, where do I get flame retardant gear? I wanna make friends w/ some Gorons but keep bursting into flames.

Yes. There's a girl at the stables at the bottom of Death Mt who'll sell you elixir, and the recipe's on the stable poster. The elixir will let you survive long enough to catch fireproof lizards and to talk to people/get to Goron City to get the flameproof gear.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Lobster posted:

Upgraded twice anyway. The set bonus is Shock Proof.

Shock proof means from thunder attacks from enemies. The only lightning proof thing, far as I know, is that Gerudo helm.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Shock proof means from thunder attacks from enemies. The only lightning proof thing, far as I know, is that Gerudo helm.

It'll protect you from lightning too.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Yeah im pretty sure ive worn the gimp suit in thunderstorms.

Are you able to feed the snowfield stables dog? He wants to eat like all the others but every time he starts eating the drat steak freezes

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Runcible Cat posted:

Or it belonged to Link's dad or uncle or whatever he had. Link's 17 when the Calamity shows up and he must have been at the Castle being a bodyguard for a while before then, so he'd be pretty young to own a house himself.

Vah Medoh, the Rito one.

I prophesy that you'll get distracted and end up going in a completely different direction though!

Yes. There's a girl at the stables at the bottom of Death Mt who'll sell you elixir, and the recipe's on the stable poster. The elixir will let you survive long enough to catch fireproof lizards and to talk to people/get to Goron City to get the flameproof gear.

Also have a nice chat with Beedle at the same stable. You know, your one stop shop for arrows? He sold me MORE lizards for more potions.

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.

The Lobster posted:

I definitely liked that memory, and I'm looking forward to that power which I think is super cool (only crappy power I think is the Goron one really) but I was just balking at the boarding the beast section specifically. I finally just sucked it up and did it after all you guys made me and it was pretty lovely but at least it's over and now I have a dungeon to solve. It's not as lovely a dungeon as I was thinking it would be but it's still not my favorite though. I can cheese it a bit with the Rito power I think.

Pro Tip: you can use metal weapons to bridge the gaps between power lines. Just place them carefully with Magnesis. This lets you skip a particularly annoying puzzle at one point.

Are you able to feed the snowfield stables dog? He wants to eat like all the others but every time he starts eating the drat steak freezes

Try different food. Dogs in this game are omnivores, they'll eat anything.

Edit:

Jonas Albrecht posted:

And to take the superhero connection a bit further, in a callback to LttP, you are branded an enemy of the state by Primary Antagonist after the tutorial, and will be fled from by townsfolk and chased by guards. Fortunately, however, Tingle knows the truth and makes you a disguise so you can go out in public unharassed. A Tingle disguise.

NOBODY WILL SUSPECT A THING

Roundabout Route fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Apr 10, 2017

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

IIRC it won't freeze at midday, but the dog I fed there didn't lead me to anything.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

a.lo posted:

Do whatever, idiot.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Runcible Cat posted:

IIRC it won't freeze at midday, but the dog I fed there didn't lead me to anything.

Dogs are not chicken-vores :colbert: but they do eat durians. Hahaha what dogs do that... Im glad I did, since it lead me to a star fragment :3: Considering I can only get one to fall every like 15 days, it was well appreciated. Seriously, I hear about people farming them and getting tons in a row, what am I doing wrong??? :sigh: At least I'm done with them now.

Also, does anyone else have horrible gyro drift while aiming? It's gotten to the point where I need to be constantly rotating or holding the stick left to stay on target, and calibrating does nothing.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

You should do Vah Naboris because it is actually super cool and good and one should always strive to improve their poo poo taste

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Dogs are not chicken-vores :colbert: but they do eat durians. Hahaha what dogs do that... Im glad I did, since it lead me to a star fragment :3: Considering I can only get one to fall every like 15 days, it was well appreciated. Seriously, I hear about people farming them and getting tons in a row, what am I doing wrong??? :sigh: At least I'm done with them now.

Also, does anyone else have horrible gyro drift while aiming? It's gotten to the point where I need to be constantly rotating or holding the stick left to stay on target, and calibrating does nothing.

Not while aiming but definitely for some shrine puzzles, I know exactly what i need to do but the controls won't let me.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Naboris is 100% the best and coolest Divine Beast and I am saving it for last in my second run specifically because I want to end on a high note (and because gently caress the Yiga, spawn on my dick you loving loser wannabe ninja babbies :argh:).

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

How are you farming fragments? Shee Vaneer, make fire, sit by fire till night, immediately save/quit, reopen, stare at Hyrule Plain? That works consistently for me....

The only time I have gyro trouble is in shrines. Are you on the Switch or the WiiU?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Games › Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Do whatever, idiot.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Runcible Cat posted:

How are you farming fragments? Shee Vaneer, make fire, sit by fire till night, immediately save/quit, reopen, stare at Hyrule Plain? That works consistently for me....

The only time I have gyro trouble is in shrines. Are you on the Switch or the WiiU?

Yeah im on the top of the dueling peaks, sit took night and stare at hyrule. Does quitting really help that much?

And I'm on the switch

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Yeah im on the top of the dueling peaks, sit took night and stare at hyrule. Does quitting really help that much?

And I'm on the switch

It doesn't work for me if I don't quit - that resets the internal timer or something. Try it and see.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Just finished Thyphlo Ruins last night, and I'm so upset that my glow-in-the-dark armor won't allow me to see poo poo. Also, gently caress fighting a Hinox in the dark.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Is there something about darkness that doesn't allow you to hold Y? Spin to win bro. :cheers:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Something I just discovered: if you trick an enemy into moving on sand when a Molduga is nearby, the Molduga will do exactly what you'd think it would, and it is wonderful. :allears:

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

yamdankee posted:

Is there something about darkness that doesn't allow you to hold Y? Spin to win bro. :cheers:

Yeah, it's called not having enough stamina to spin long enough before I actually find what I'm trying to hit because I can't see poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The Lobster posted:

It protects against lightning but not the divine beast lightning for whatever reason. I was so pissed off when I headed off for that divine beast and the lightning attacks damaged me. I had just been gliding around through thunder storms laughing off lightning and then that lightning magically damages me through the armor.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Cojawfee posted:

It protects against lightning but not the divine beast lightning for whatever reason. I was so pissed off when I headed off for that divine beast and the lightning attacks damaged me. I had just been gliding around through thunder storms laughing off lightning and then that lightning magically damages me through the armor.

That's because that lightning is magic

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
http://i.imgur.com/yaFeBGW.gifv

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 10, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The only divine beast I went next to was Vah Naboris, do the others have obvious punishments to them?

I mean I know Vah Medoh (without the flying mine cart anyway) isn't actually able to be gotten to, but like, if you take Cryonis blocks near Vah Ruta before the boarding event do you get attacked?

I feel like it's weird that Naboris is the only one that tries to, otherwise.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Is there any video of someone approaching Medoh on a flying cart?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

El Burbo posted:

Is there any video of someone approaching Medoh on a flying cart?

Yeah. Can't find it at the moment, but they actually manage to glide to it and 'discover it' as a location (announced with official map font and everything). Unfortunately, when they tried to land on it, they phased right through.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Putting this in the OP.

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.

Phantasium posted:

The only divine beast I went next to was Vah Naboris, do the others have obvious punishments to them?

I mean I know Vah Medoh (without the flying mine cart anyway) isn't actually able to be gotten to, but like, if you take Cryonis blocks near Vah Ruta before the boarding event do you get attacked?

I feel like it's weird that Naboris is the only one that tries to, otherwise.

The very first beast I tried to take on was Rutah. At the time I didn't know anything about the process for accessing a dungeon and I had already concluded that roads were for losers, so I was climbing up over the mountains surrounding Lanayru. For some mysterious reason it was raining a lot, but I just took this as a challenge to meet head-on, rather than the game sending me a clear message to try something else. I ignored the entire route to Zora's Domain and painstakingly crawled up Ruto Mountain while it was raining (it's possible, just VERY slow) so I could survey the land from the peak. I noticed a big mysterious thing in the middle of a lake spewing water into the air and concluded I could probably land on it if I glided down there.

It turned out I was correct. It also turned out that Rutah has a zero-tolerance policy for stupid newbie shenanigans. I don't think I died, but I came close.

After getting my rear end thrown out of there I decided to go activate the area's tower so I could have some idea of what I was doing, and found all the Zoras in the world waiting for me at Lanayru's road entrance, telling me exactly where to go to advance the plot. Derp.

I'm still curious to know whether the game would've broken into tiny pieces if I had gone straight to Zora's Domain instead of the tower, thus skipping the entire section leading up to it.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Roundabout Route posted:

The very first beast I tried to take on was Rutah. At the time I didn't know anything about the process for accessing a dungeon and I had already concluded that roads were for losers, so I was climbing up over the mountains surrounding Lanayru. For some mysterious reason it was raining a lot, but I just took this as a challenge to meet head-on, rather than the game sending me a clear message to try something else. I ignored the entire route to Zora's Domain and painstakingly crawled up Ruto Mountain while it was raining (it's possible, just VERY slow) so I could survey the land from the peak. I noticed a big mysterious thing in the middle of a lake spewing water into the air and concluded I could probably land on it if I glided down there.

It turned out I was correct. It also turned out that Rutah has a zero-tolerance policy for stupid newbie shenanigans. I don't think I died, but I came close.

After getting my rear end thrown out of there I decided to go activate the area's tower so I could have some idea of what I was doing, and found all the Zoras in the world waiting for me at Lanayru's road entrance, telling me exactly where to go to advance the plot. Derp.

I'm still curious to know whether the game would've broken into tiny pieces if I had gone straight to Zora's Domain instead of the tower, thus skipping the entire section leading up to it.

Nope. Sidon actually has a special alternate introductory scene that you can only see by completely bypassing the normal route of meeting him and just waltzing into the Zora throne room unannounced. Here's a lovely cell phone recording of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuhOvI-Jx1Y

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Why would you sneak around interaction with the best character in the game?