Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«12 »
cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

rifles posted:

That camper is cool as poo poo. Curious if you had any issues with getting it secured down on the flatbed?
Nope. was easy as poo poo though a little sketchy. Mash a button and patiently wait. The bed of this truck sits at 46" unladen.

He threw in these andersen pucks and chocks which made loading easy.

Tomarse posted:

Get some interior photos please.

What stuff needs refinishing? Just trim stuff or is there some structural bits that are damaged?

Nothin' structural as its aluminum framed. if it were wood I would have walked.
Here's some interior shots.

So the cabinet David is standing next to is our first attack. there's some soft paneling behind it.
The bunk area is probably the worst.
The ceiling in the bathroom is another
Behind the fridge and respectively behind the sink/tv cabinet.

He stripped out the cabinet while I stripped down the bunk area. There's a single layer of plywood left, it's adhered to the foam insulation, won't come out with a fight. hit it with some killz and move on.
This window is gonna need to come out and get rebuilt. They all do. It's not a big deal, 47 screws and 20' of seal.

rdb posted:

My 2018 3500 has 3 leafs and an overload. I bet the spring pack on donkey looks like it came out of a semi.

And don’t confuse squat with towing capacity.

Payload stuff...
4 pack + overload + factory helper spring. Front is a 2 pack. Both front and rear are 3" wide springs. Pack rating is 6820 rear. 4410 front. tire rating is 7050/axle Sterling Visteon junker rearend is rated for 9750, and a D60 front is 6500 respectively.
Upfitter never fixed the gvwr ratings, so David and I with a tent on the back is about at the gvwr. Sounds about right for a ford diesel with vacuum brakes. That was fixed.
Using the rear axle + tire rating I'm good to play with about 4200lb. Staying within the spring limits is 3960. The camper in that picture is about 3400lb with the shitters full, gray tank, fresh water, LP, and batteries. Dry is 2900. That's going to get significantly altered as we tear poo poo out and replace it. There's a scale nearby so I'll be scaling it when it's done.

E:

rifles posted:

I have a great uncle that still logs (nearing 80) and he basically collected bricknoses. He runs an 89 that he broke the frame in half on. His fix was to get another frame, layer them together, then bolt wherever possible in order to double it up. He uses it to haul a trailer plus the bed full of firewood from where he cuts to his house on a couple nasty trails. Pretty neat truck.. 300, manual, and hasn't been out of 4 lo in 20 years.
That was basically this truck before I came along and hosed with it

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Man, I've seen that seat fabric pattern in what must be a million trailers. Was there only one supplier for this kind of thing?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MOTRONIC FOR MODERATOR, MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN

Grimey Drawer

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Man, I've seen that seat fabric pattern in what must be a million trailers. Was there only one supplier for this kind of thing?

RV interiors are all designed by the same group of people. They have been kept in an underground bunker since the early 70s and only have access to design catalogs that are at minimum 20 years out of date.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

I love camper/RV projects! Please keep it updating. I watch too many #vanlife videos on YouTube which has given me “own a camper” brain worms.

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

You could free up a bunch of inside space if you choose to make your cooker and sink live outside in a permanent awning type structure. Assuming you are happy not having a 'proper' oven. But you might also want to keep everything contained.

Like this:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

RV interiors are all designed by the same group of people. They have been kept in an underground bunker since the early 70s and only have access to design catalogs that are at minimum 20 years out of date.

Seriously. The electrical system in this camper is straight outta the 70s. They never update poo poo.

beep-beep car is go posted:

I love camper/RV projects! Please keep it updating. I watch too many #vanlife videos on YouTube which has given me “own a camper” brain worms.

I'm gonna post camper progress here
For a firehose of the project, go here

Anphear posted:

You could free up a bunch of inside space if you choose to make your cooker and sink live outside in a permanent awning type structure. Assuming you are happy not having a 'proper' oven. But you might also want to keep everything contained.

Like this:

I'd like to keep it self contained. I'm torn on tearing out the oven cause making bread fuckin rules. If it were to go, induction would go in its place.

Some Truck stuff!

Last year I printed the driver's door handle in PETG. It's still holding up and it's so much nicer than the original. The cad file was flipped and printed for a rainy day project. That rainy day is here.

It's not a perfect match though it'll do. The bracket was modeled off of a very busted left handle.
The old gross farm foam goes right into the bin after spreading hantavirus onto your workbench and PC's keyboard. Be sure to take in the smells.
Get your favorite x-acto knife and cut yourself some scrap shipping foam. Seriously, it works awesome for this project.

Measure once, cut 45 times. Repeat until frustrated.
The vinyl cover needs to be free and clear of all things hantavirus contaminated. An old pan scouring pad or something along those lines will work.
Loctite makes this vinyl, fabric & plastic trim adhesive that is flexible. This stuff rules. Get some.
Glue it together, use extra medical bandage tape from the foam project to hold the frame together.

Let it sit overnight, remove the tape, and go sling it back into the vehicle. Now is a good time to ignore the door clips.

On the topic of measure once, cut twice.
The flatbed was reconfigured to work with these lovely turnbuckles. Eyeball the angles, drill some holes, ez-pz.

Actual projects list as of now for things that I can think of.
1. the gauges. The micropython project stalled out cause python2.7 can eat blown headgasket sludge. which means
2. Find a suitable display or something drivable that works in all lighting conditions. I have a literal box of stm32s with rather nice built in ADCs. go this route. The RV will have can bus, this should too.
3. the ancient cooling system probably should get looked at
4. lugnuts, would want fully enclosed ones. more threads engaged, more better.
5. There's a york compressor from the gillig laying around. On board air is kinda needed for 37" tires... Find a home for it and cobble some brackets. Donno what to do about an air tank yet.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

CASTOR: Uh, it was all fine and you don't remember?
VINDMAN: No, it was bad and I do remember.

cursedshitbox posted:

1. the gauges. The micropython project stalled out cause python2.7 can eat blown headgasket sludge. which means
2. Find a suitable display or something drivable that works in all lighting conditions. I have a literal box of stm32s with rather nice built in ADCs. go this route. The RV will have can bus, this should too.
go on.....

quote:

5. There's a york compressor from the gillig laying around. On board air is kinda needed for 37" tires... Find a home for it and cobble some brackets. Donno what to do about an air tank yet.
vince mc mahon cumming.gif

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

cursedshitbox posted:

3. the ancient cooling system probably should get looked at
4. lugnuts, would want fully enclosed ones. more threads engaged, more better.

Anti-archival bumpage

1. Here's a video of some progress: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfOVCSqyoUA

2. no progress there outside of rolling some modifications into a 20x4 panel like in the above.

3. Haven't hosed with that

4. Ordered some on ebay, they showed up hosed up, sent em back, USPS lost em and I never got a refund for it.

5. Lol this has escalated into a $500 project to use a york compressor. There's 110V on the truck at all times, so uhh that'll be an easier route to just plug it in.
Down that rabbithole of power... 200A+ Leese Neville alternator?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

cursedshitbox posted:

Anti-archival bumpage

you spell "gauges" correctly

you can stay!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Gimme Gimme Swedish Fish...

Fallen Rib

cursedshitbox posted:

Anti-archival bumpage

2. no progress there outside of rolling some modifications into a 20x4 panel like in the above.

4. Ordered some on ebay, they showed up hosed up, sent em back, USPS lost em and I never got a refund for it.

5. Lol this has escalated into a $500 project to use a york compressor. There's 110V on the truck at all times, so uhh that'll be an easier route to just plug it in.

That's awesome! Details?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

It's all running on an esp32 right now. The ADCs on em are kinda meh though it natively supports bluetooth/wifi/can-bus
MPU9050 accelerometer gyroscope knockoff (gy-521) that'll be used as an inclinometer.
There's a bmp280 under it for temp/pressure which is used for boost gauge altitude compensation. (this builds on code that is in there now that originally used a constant (pressure at sealevel)... go up in altitude, it'd read erroneously)
MCP2561 will be the CAN interface controller. I gotta build some dummy CAN modules to test this and haven't had the chance yet.
The boards all reside on removable cards, I can go in and upgrade when it's required and this will all get mounted somewhere easier to get at. The current board is buried deep in the dash and every time I go in to update its code I gotta take the center stack apart. The plastic is getting mighty old and I don't want that stuff broken. In all likelihood it'll get mounted below the cluster where a huge kick panel drops out. With an ESP this will allow for over the air updates which will allow for even less mechanical disturbance of the interior.

Some of its outputs will be to trigger the dash warning lamp and door chime for anything critical to the engine (think high EGTs, low fuel pressure, etc)
The light is fairly easy as there's already an indicator in place for low voltage/oil pressure/high coolant temp. The chime itself is easy and fairly loud as it was reconditioned sometime last year. (transistor to switch a ground and send it)
Inputs:
I'd like to get a vss (there's one in the xfer and the rear diff) plugged into it to send to the camper over CAN as the camper has GPS.
Some analog sensors like fuel pressure, flow, fuel tank levels, coolant, rear differential, trans, and engine oil temps.
Tach is gonna be a side project of its own. its read off of the bullhead gears at the injection pump and runs to a processing board on the back of the cluster. Pretty sure I can break that out and send it to the computer.

I also need to sniff the usb ports on the mirror as that can open a whole new world of fuckery if I can poll the front/rear cameras.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Incremental progress! Ported the project to the STM32. ADCs aren't working yet though everything else up to this point is running fine. As soon as I figure that out this project will be ready for installation.

So far I have one input on the ADC working so I'm not far off the mark. Only need 8 more.
Here's a setup using a potentiometer to flip the onboard leds on and off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_hIhtHgHn4

This project was useful enough I'm porting parts of it to a moto project as well using an eink display.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

Anti-archival bumpage

what is the knob / input device you're using here? looks neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

generic rotary encoder with a bakelite knob from some vintage amateur radio stuff.

«12 »