Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Gnoman posted:

My question was not "look at this cool idea I had!", it was "I think I remember reading something really bizarre, let me see if anybody else has heard the same thing, or maybe I'm just remembering something I came up myself while drunk."

It does ring a little bell in my head: Tommy Robartes's "band prank". Basically a guy decided to set a trap for the Germans in their trenches by putting on a concert and advertising it to the Germans, and coordinating to skedaddle with the band a couple seconds before the artillery let loose to slaughter the music-loving Germans.

Actually faking an advance without putting all the soldiers out there to get shot seems hard. Not sure how much effect that sort of action has anyways. They kill a bunch of people and add some more attrition to the pile, but it's land gains the belligerents were all looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Gnoman posted:

Are there any known cases of reversing the order - sending in the infantry to get the defenders into position, then dropping the artillery while they're exposed? I seem to remember reading something like this in a book once, but I have no clear notion of when I read it, where I read it, what I read, or why I was reading it.

this is basically describing reconnaissance by fire, and it is a really common technique. It was probably used most famously by the Chinese during the Korean War but I think just about every major conflict since the first world war has featured this technique to one degree or another

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

ponzicar posted:

So you're asking if the attackers ever pretended to start an assault so that the defenders all grab their rifles, ready their machine guns, and run into the trenches, but instead of starting the assault, a bunch of artillery shells drop on them instead?

Essentially, but with an actual attack, not a faked one. My vague memory is that somebody figured out that the vast majority of artillery shells were ineffective because the shelters were so good, and was looking for a way to get the shells to actually kill people.

It seemed odd, because it would be rather hard on the first wave out of the trench, and generals were (from what I understand) aware that this was bad on morale.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Nebakenezzer posted:

So about the T-55/T-72: how cramped are they? Sometimes I get the impression that the T-55 you just can't fit in if you are over 5'7; I know the T-72 is better, but it still seemed like in the gunner/commander position sitting in any but the default position will see you mangled by the auto-loader.

I'm 6'1", I wouldn't do well in a T-72 in a fight.

To be clear, I was obviously never in combat in a T-72.

My unit captured a bunch of Iraqi vehicles in the 1st Gulf War and dragged them back when we left Kuwait. We loaded them onto ships and shipped them back to the States, and these were parceled out to different companies as trophies. (Put 'em on the lawn in front of the Company Office!)

Later I was transferred to be an instructor at Amphibious Assault School. That unit had a pair of BMP-1s. A few of us instructors got the idea of cannibalizing them, swapping parts to get one of them into running condition. We did this, but were still a few parts short. My CO got the idea of contacting the Army's OPFOR unit on Fort Irwin; their specialty was using captured and "acquired" former Soviet vehicles and US vehicles modified to look like Soviet vehicles in huge training exercises out in the desert. We traded them some spare BMP parts for the parts we needed. While we were there they gave us a week-long course on "how to work Soviet stuff." We got to drive around in the vehicles they had. No, we didn't get to shoot anything, but it was fun enough.

The T-72 is very small compared to the US vehicles I was used to, as was pretty much all of their stuff. It was also very crude. No, I'm not downplaying or mocking the Soviets here, it was as well made as it needed to be. For a comparison the US AFVs think "high-end car vs durable pickup truck." There's nothing wrong with crude if it works.

In many ways their stuff made a lot of sense. For example, the various lines, pipes, and hoses were color-coded. A US crewman will get to know everything on their vehicle over time, to the point where they can look at any line and know what it does. (I.e., "that's the hydraulic line that goes to the rear plenum cover actuating cylinder.") But color-coding them really helps you get to know them quickly - blue is compressed air, brown is oil, yellow is fuel, etc. It's a great system for vehicles crewed by conscripts who will only spend two years in the military as opposed to long-term professionals.

But at the same time, some of their systems were just bad. Loading the Sagger missile, for example, is just weird. In the turret there's a little hatch that opens up, facing the front. You swing a little lever to, open it, and reach out to try to snag the missile on the rail. Then you take a little stick - yes, a stick - to flip down the missile's fins before firing. It's just - wrong.

Driving Soviet stuff was never comfortable for me. I always felt like I was lurching around, bouncing like a new driver trying to figure out a clutch and stick-shift, and I'd been driving tanks and AFVs for about five years at that point. They don't feel smooth; they snort and growl like a bulldozer. I'm guessing more familiarity with specific vehicles would have helped.

Driving the BMP really stuck with me. It was even more "lurchy," and I couldn't help but feel bad for any (theoretical) infantry in the back. I tried to sit in one of the grunts' seats in the back and it felt like my knees were up in my ears. It was just bad, and that was when we were standing still. Combine that with lurching around, firing AKs from inside the vehicle, trying to do it in a gas mask - I pity the Soviet grunts who had to do that.

Also, as we never fired the tank guns I never saw the infamous autoloader in action. It looked crude, just mechanical stuff close to the crew without any guards. (I don't think OSHA made much impact on the USSR.) I think the cold-war legends of "eating crewman" are exaggerated - you'd learn real fast to stay out of its way - but at the same time if you slipped, especially when driving, it could hurt you badly. In fairness this sort of thing is true of US tanks as well, AFVs will mess you up if you aren't careful.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ensign Expendable posted:

What year/factory production was this T-34? The standard primer used in all Soviet factories was lead oxide (железный сурик). Medium gray coloured primer was also occasionally used.

Interesting! I know the owner did a lead-abatement when he had the paint stripped; I wasn't involved in that. I did see some of the sections where the paint was scraped back to bare metal before this was done and it looked like it was green all the way down to me.

As to the year, I'm not sure. I get the impression that this particular vehicle was cobbled together, so there are probably parts from any number of T-34s of different dates on it. I can ask the owner if he's got a better handle on the specifics the next time I see him.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
In sadder news Hark a Vagrant is ending and the artist is no longer updating the site. She didn't history all the time but there are some fun gems in there.

With fun comics like:

Napolean invades russia

Fenian raids Canada 1866

Woman suffragist

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Awww drat, end of an era. So glad I got her books when they were in print.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I'm sad now. I loved Hark, a Vagrant.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Her series on Benito Juárez and Emperor Maximilian I is my favorite, and not just because it gave me the line "I had fun once. It was awful".

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Ensign Expendable posted:

It's a long weekend, so have a bonus update:

37 mm Gun M3

Queue: 36 inch Little David mortar, 105 mm howitzer M3, 15 cm sIG 33, 10.5 cm leFH 18, 7.5 cm LG 40, 10.5 cm LG 42, 17 cm K i. Mrs. Laf., 47 mm wz.25 infantry gun, Tiger (P), Scorpion, SKS, Australian Centurions in Vietnam, PzIII Ausf. E and F, PzIII Ausf. G and H, Trials of the PzIII Ausf. H in the USSR, PzIII Ausf.J-N, Russian Renault, Nashorn/Hornisse, Medium Tank M4A2E8, P.1000 and other work by Grotte, KV-100 and KV-122, Cruiser Tank Mk.I, Cruiser Tank Mk.II, Valentine III and V, Valentine IX, Valentine X and XI, 7TP and Vickers Mk.E trials in the USSR, Modern Polish tank projects, SD-100 (Czech SU-100 clone), TACAM R-2, kpúv vz. 34, kpúv vz. 37, kpúv vz. 38, IS-1 (IS-85), IS-2 (object 240), Production of the IS-2, IS-2 modernization projects, GMC M8, First Soviet assault rifles, Stahlhelm in WWI, Stahlhelm in WWII, SU-76 with big guns, Panther trials in the USSR, Western spherical tanks, S35 in German service, SU-152 combat debut

Available for request:

:ussr:
Schmeisser's work in the USSR
Object 237 (IS-1 prototype)
SU-85
T-29-5
KV-85
Tank sleds
T-80 (the light tank)
Proposed Soviet heavy tank destroyers
DS-39 tank machinegun
MS-1/T-18
Kalashnikov's debut works
MS-1 production
Kalashnikov-Petrov self-loading carbine
SU-76M (SU-15M) production
S-51
SU-76I
T-34 applique armour projects
T-26 with mine detection equipment
IS-2 mod. 1944

:britain:
Archer
Challenger I NEW

:911:
Medium Tank M3 use in the USSR
HMC T82
57 mm gun M1
Medium Tank M4A4
Hellcat

:godwin:
Jagdpanzer IV
Grosstraktor
Gebirgskanone M 15
Maus development in 1943-44
German anti-tank rifles
Panzer IV/70
Czech anti-tank rifles in German service

:france:
Hotchkiss H 35 and H 39

:italy:
FIAT 3000
FIAT L6-40
M13/40, M14/41, M15/42

:poland:
Experimental Polish tanks of the 1930s

:eurovision:
Trials of the LT vz. 35 in the USSR NEW

Can I request the 57 mm gun M1?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

Actually faking an advance without putting all the soldiers out there to get shot seems hard. Not sure how much effect that sort of action has anyways. They kill a bunch of people and add some more attrition to the pile, but it's land gains the belligerents were all looking for.

The British Army called this sort of thing a "Chinese attack" or "demonstration", and after early 1915 there was one going on somewhere along the front almost every day. The idea is basic operant conditioning; once the enemy knows your preliminary bombardment lasts about 45 minutes, he then leaps up out of the dugouts and gets ready to fight. What you quickly start doing instead, then, is that during quiet periods you start a bombardment that feels heavy enough to be an actual preliminary bombardment, it lasts about the same time as a real one, it lifts, the enemy comes out, and then you shell them more, then you lift for five minutes, then you renew, then you lift, then you stop, then you give them a little more after half an hour just for shits and giggles. Often you also accompany this by having your own men shout loudly and fire rifles at nothing in particular during lifts, and so on. You also increase the number of these in the months and weeks immediately preceding the Big Push to keep things as uncertain as possible.

The idea, and it's entirely psychologically sound and worked just about perfectly, is that you want to condition the enemy to remain in his shelters not just while shells are actively landing, but for a good long period after it, because now the most likely follow-up to this level of shelling is not that there'll be an attack, but instead that there'll be more shelling; in the meantime you send your men over, and they'll have enough time to get all the way across No Man's Land before the sou drops for the defenders that this isn't just another day up the line.

So now it makes sense for defenders to wait longer below ground after shelling stops in case it starts again, and a whole lot of noise coming from across the way doesn't mean anything and is probably some clever trick, and you get used to waiting several minutes before bringing the men back out because you're too clever to fall for that one again, and then one day you're just about to bring them back out when instead some awful foreign rotter with a bucketload of grenades appears at the top of your steps, which is mostly a case of surrender quietly or die.

There's no easy way to counter this; you can put periscopes in the dugout and send a few scouts out to hardened above-ground positions so you can watch for such mean and sneaky tactics, but they're always going to be only able to do so much.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It seems like there's some game theory there. If I rush out and it's a fake attack I get killed by shellfire. If I dawdle and it's a real attack I have to surrender to Mr. Grenades. Capture is better than death, so I should dawdle.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

It seems like there's some game theory there. If I rush out and it's a fake attack I get killed by shellfire. If I dawdle and it's a real attack I have to surrender to Mr. Grenades. Capture is better than death, so I should dawdle.

Shellfire just is the much more likely event since there are a lot fewer attacks than barrages. I would be extremely leery to count on the enemy to wait for me to surrender rather than just bombing the dugout and moving on.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

I have heard second hand that an art history teacher taught that medieval people were unable to see things in 3 dimensions, which is why their art looks weird. Yeah idk man
that is a dumb popsci version of an interesting book, which asked what it meant when those people imagined things and how that was different in the renaissance
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Period_eye
the key word here though is "imagine:" the theory is that how you imagine something is conditioned by the biological reality of your eyes plus your culture

edit: i sometimes engage in a similar argument in my own work, because what someone "looks like" is more determined by their clothes for these people than it is for us. like there are accounts of people dying on the field and the people they know not recognizing them until the bodies had been clothed again. We imagine the naked body "beneath" the clothes as the "real person" and my dudes, i think, did not. when i imagine their imaginations, it's of the clothed person as a series of shells, envisioned from outside in. Clothes, bodily movements, social position, habitual acts, scars, etc. Only after that the naked body, which even the people who know you intimately might only rarely see--and that in darkness far deeper than what we're used to with electric lights.

I think what's going on is that most of these people have one suit of clothes each and wear them until they wear out.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Oct 11, 2018

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'm trying to imagine some poor peasant trying to do some medieval agriculture being only able to see in 2 dimensions. It's like a silent films comedy sketch. But with more deadly flailing implements well, flailing.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm trying to imagine some poor peasant trying to do some medieval agriculture being only able to see in 2 dimensions. It's like a silent films comedy sketch. But with more deadly flailing implements well, flailing.

That's why they were all cannibals.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If they traveled more than a field away from their village and it rained then they'd be lost forever because the houses would look different.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
That's why those early medieval maps were just lines of cities.

It's somewhat related to why early painters painted kids with adult faces: none of them had ever pivoted their heads down, so they had never seen how a child looks and imagined them to be adults, but smaller.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

My god this is stupidly funny.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

With all this WW1 talk, that reminds me of something I was wondering about before: Just how important was the average rifleman during a defensive action? In the stereotypical portrayals, you basically have hundreds of dudes standing shoulder to shoulder in the foremost trench on the firing step with their rifles at the ready to beat off the slavering Hun/perfidious Albishman. But with all this talk about rushing into and out of dugouts and suchlike, it seems like it might be undesirable to need so many dudes to supply the bulk of your defensive firepower. So under that perspective, it seems like it might be a better idea rely primarily on a relatively small number of machine guns to provide your defensive firepower while holding the riflemen back in case of a counterattack.

So how did that actually turn out in reality, particularly in the more established and long-term parts of the line?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
machine guns are the main strongpoints of your defense but what are you proposing, just having a bunch of riflemen hold their dicks in order to.........?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's not really concrete evidence as to exactly how the first currency developed. Tokens demarcating value were just one of the intermediary steps in the development of currency, and it's definitely plausible that the thing that got governments to issue uniform currency to be accepted for everybody's transactions would be to pay an army, which in the army's downtime or retirement would get traded around.

Probably the barter system as it is imagined before the existence of currency is a myth. Pure barter has only been observed to happen in edge cases where the parties involved would probably never see eachother again.

It wasn’t just a linear development from barter to currency either. Coins had been in use in Korea since the late first millennium BC, and in Japan not too much later, but in both they would variously fall in and out of use as people would lose trust in their value after a famine or whatever, only for the government to then attempt to force them back into use, with varying levels of success. It went that way basically through their entire premodern histories. Most of the time it was a halfway system; not pure barter, but transactions done via something peasants would actually trust would retain its value whatever happened, like bolts of cloth measured by a uniform standard.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Perestroika posted:

With all this WW1 talk, that reminds me of something I was wondering about before: Just how important was the average rifleman during a defensive action? In the stereotypical portrayals, you basically have hundreds of dudes standing shoulder to shoulder in the foremost trench on the firing step with their rifles at the ready to beat off the slavering Hun/perfidious Albishman. But with all this talk about rushing into and out of dugouts and suchlike, it seems like it might be undesirable to need so many dudes to supply the bulk of your defensive firepower. So under that perspective, it seems like it might be a better idea rely primarily on a relatively small number of machine guns to provide your defensive firepower while holding the riflemen back in case of a counterattack.

So how did that actually turn out in reality, particularly in the more established and long-term parts of the line?

The trouble with holding your troops in reserve is the development of artillery tactics aimed at cutting off the flow of reinforcements and resupply.

EDIT: But see also the conversation about Soviet Machine Gun Artillery regiments.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 11, 2018

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Epicurius posted:

:perfect:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Epicurius posted:

pfff they'll have to catch me first

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HEY GUNS posted:

that is a dumb popsci version of an interesting book, which asked what it meant when those people imagined things and how that was different in the renaissance
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Period_eye
the key word here though is "imagine:" the theory is that how you imagine something is conditioned by the biological reality of your eyes plus your culture

edit: i sometimes engage in a similar argument in my own work, because what someone "looks like" is more determined by their clothes for these people than it is for us. like there are accounts of people dying on the field and the people they know not recognizing them until the bodies had been clothed again. We imagine the naked body "beneath" the clothes as the "real person" and my dudes, i think, did not. when i imagine their imaginations, it's of the clothed person as a series of shells, envisioned from outside in. Clothes, bodily movements, social position, habitual acts, scars, etc. Only after that the naked body, which even the people who know you intimately might only rarely see--and that in darkness far deeper than what we're used to with electric lights.

I think what's going on is that most of these people have one suit of clothes each and wear them until they wear out.

So that's why Egyptian art looks like that.

Except Akenhaten, the first Egyptian to see in 3d. But, like today it was a dumb fad and never took off and also they tried to erase him from history.

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014
Without reading the book, those seem like they're extreme cases of symbolic drawing and accustomization. Kids and adults today will still draw without consistent structure or perspective if they aren't educated to, and probs everyone has had someone they know suddenly get a mohawk and failed to recognize them.

Or is that exactly the point?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

Shellfire just is the much more likely event since there are a lot fewer attacks than barrages. I would be extremely leery to count on the enemy to wait for me to surrender rather than just bombing the dugout and moving on.

I remember Barthas and his buddies captured a German dugout, the men were happy to surrender, although the German commanding officer had apparently caught a bad case of shovel to the back of the head before they arrived.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Koramei posted:

It wasn’t just a linear development from barter to currency either. Coins had been in use in Korea since the late first millennium BC, and in Japan not too much later, but in both they would variously fall in and out of use as people would lose trust in their value after a famine or whatever, only for the government to then attempt to force them back into use, with varying levels of success. It went that way basically through their entire premodern histories. Most of the time it was a halfway system; not pure barter, but transactions done via something peasants would actually trust would retain its value whatever happened, like bolts of cloth measured by a uniform standard.

Yeah and I suspect the role of the state in creating currency systems tends to be over estimated. Early money systems weren't that different from simple commodity trade, the main difference is it allows for some level of control over the face value and money supply. Commodity exchange system though were similar enough to currency that when western colonialists first visited the New Guinea highlands in the thirties where cowry shells were the primary medium of exchange, they simply treated them as if they were money.

Jim Taylor posted:

We we re the first to realize the real nature of shell in the highlands.
A Kukukuku first taught me the secret by the way he examined a rope of
girigiri (MP; ring cowries and money cowries) that I had. I realized
that it was money-he looked as I might have looked at a guinea as a
child, first thinking that it was brass then realizing that it was
real. When Mick was going through Kainantu I gave him a few handfulls
of Nassa (tambu) saying it might be useful and a week or so later got a
note saying' send some more'.
. . .
So we bought one or two as a sample and immediately made plans to have
that particular trade flown in to the Bena. We used this to hire workers
and to pay them off. They we re also very interested in girigiri here.
We bought it for about sixpence a pound on the coast, that is between
200 and 300 dead and dried shells . Freight then was from £112 to £150
per ton from Lae to Bena by air. But because shells were so scarce
some of these natives would work all day for about six of them. And
for longer and bigger jobs we bought gam shells for about a shilling
each on the coast and got up to a month's work for one of them.
(Morphett n.d.a) .

Of course if you asked the New Guineans, most of them would have denied they were working for pay, which would have been very shameful behavior. Instead they'd say they were just helping out of kindness and to be friendly. The cowry shells of course were provided to them as gifts, as is proper of a host. It's definitely an example of what SlothfulCobra was getting at when he said pure barter systems were never really common anywhere.

Unsurpisingly once European geologists started airlifting shells into the economy by the ton, the result was massive devaluation. Though rather than all shells losing value equally, the result was more that the shell trade began to be de-commodified, with people becoming extremely picky about which they would accept, rejecting those that were broken or with predatory snail boreholes.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
We discussed evolution of tactics in the Civil War recently

I came across this very good piece on it this morning. Some of these CGSC theses are pretty bad but this one is exceptional.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Re. WWI riflemen, in large part by the later war they were there to fight off trench invaders in close quarters with hand to hand weapons and grenades, while machine guns and particularly artillery did the rest.

In the British Army at least there was serious discussion over whether there was any point in teaching marksmanship to rank and file troops, or whether they should be just trained in throwing grenades and stabbing with bayonets. This was A Matter Of Some Debate among senior British infantry generals in 1916-1917.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Alchenar posted:

If they traveled more than a field away from their village and it rained then they'd be lost forever because the houses would look different.

The rain would wash away their pheromone trail.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Poor guy goes to school to study medieval history, but there's a terrible scheduling mixup. Doesn't realize it till he gets a PhD in entomology.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"Don't you think it's time we put on some clothes and stopped worshiping this fire?"

"Don't I think it's what?"

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

MikeCrotch posted:

Re. WWI riflemen, in large part by the later war they were there to fight off trench invaders in close quarters with hand to hand weapons and grenades, while machine guns and particularly artillery did the rest.

In the British Army at least there was serious discussion over whether there was any point in teaching marksmanship to rank and file troops, or whether they should be just trained in throwing grenades and stabbing with bayonets. This was A Matter Of Some Debate among senior British infantry generals in 1916-1917.

Whuh really? This seems hard to believe.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I can believe it. You aren't going to be sticking your head out of a trench to take long-range shots at the enemy anyway; they'll just shoot you with a machinegun or a sniper will get you before you get a shot off. And when it comes to clearing trenches on an assault, that rifle isn't going to be taking long-range shots. Instead you'll be using it with a bayonet, or you'll be fighting with grenades, sharpened shovels, and brass knuckles.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The conversation would have been 'What's the point in training guys up to the point where they can hit a 200 yrd mark 5 times in 60 seconds when that's not a realistic scenario they need to train for', not 'what's the point in teaching our recruits how to fire a rifle?'

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
I'm the officer with the sharp haircut.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
WW1 soldiers would get lost in barbed wires and minefields as soon as they'd leave their home trenches :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Nenonen posted:

WW1 soldiers would get lost in barbed wires and minefields as soon as they'd leave their home trenches :(

Did they result to cannibalism due to their lack of 3D vision?