Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

JaucheCharly posted:

The level of early modern posts is low, hence:

War, Environment, and the Ottoman-Habsburg Frontier

This is awesome, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

WRT Drugchat wasn't WW1 basically full of drugs because you could just buy all sorts of poo poo legally back then so people would just shoot themselves full of whatever for fun?

Why do you need now-illegal drugs when you could have patent medicines instead?

See you get Phosferine: a proven remedy for Brain-Fag!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

See, they look like snake oil, but I'm not entirely sure that half of them aren't colloidal radium or something.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

OwlFancier posted:

See, they look like snake oil, but I'm not entirely sure that half of them aren't colloidal radium or something.

if the gout thing involves crocus extract, we use the same thing--as did the classical Greeks. it's 3000 years old

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

According to Mr Wikipedia, Chlorodyne was basically opium, cannabis, and chloroform with a bunch of other stuff chucked in as well. Turns out that George's Marvellous Medicine was a documentary, who'd have thunk it?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Hey can somebody give me an example of that British equipment list style?

It's something along the lines of 1x BOOTS, BLACK, MARCHING, for the use of.

But I think I'm remembering it wrong and it's bugging me. The weird yoda grammar was a defining characteristic

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Trin Tragula posted:

See you get Phosferine: a proven remedy for Brain-Fag!
that poo poo is legit good for you, son
https://www.amazon.com/Phosferine-Liquid-Extract-Tonic-30/dp/B00OW79HZ6

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

(the FDA has not evaluated this statement)

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Splode posted:

But I think I'm remembering it wrong and it's bugging me. The weird yoda grammar was a defining characteristic

The quarter-bloke does his list in that reversed style so that e.g. "Pencils, Copying" will appear next to "Pencils, Carpentry" and "Pencils, Propelling" (and "Pencils, Copying, Blue" will go next to "Pencils, Copying, Green" and "Pencils, Copying, Red") in a List, Alphabetised, Keeping Proper Stock, For The Use Of. It's not exclusively British, either: here's a 1943 American QM's catalogue which uses the backwards style.

(Not that it should matter, since stores are for storing, not for issuing; if they were meant to be issued, they'd be called "Issues", wouldn't they? Now geddaway!)

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Trin Tragula posted:

According to Mr Wikipedia, Chlorodyne was basically opium, cannabis, and chloroform with a bunch of other stuff chucked in as well. Turns out that George's Marvellous Medicine was a documentary, who'd have thunk it?

I was gonna say that the safe bet is that those are all opium.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

The quarter-bloke does his list in that reversed style so that e.g. "Pencils, Copying" will appear next to "Pencils, Carpentry" and "Pencils, Propelling" (and "Pencils, Copying, Blue" will go next to "Pencils, Copying, Green" and "Pencils, Copying, Red") in a List, Alphabetised, Keeping Proper Stock, For The Use Of. It's not exclusively British, either: here's a 1943 American QM's catalogue which uses the backwards style.

(Not that it should matter, since stores are for storing, not for issuing; if they were meant to be issued, they'd be called "Issues", wouldn't they? Now geddaway!)

This is an excellent post, but remember, you have to speak the 'comma'.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
supply people literally talk like that, out loud. "here, take your bag, duffel". and so on

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Trin Tragula posted:

What's with the "for the use of" thing? What does it mean? What else could be there? If it's not for use, then what is it for?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Tevery Best posted:

What's with the "for the use of" thing? What does it mean? What else could be there? If it's not for use, then what is it for?

Bwahahaha

"Hey guys, this is stupid!" said the man to the army

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Thanks Trin!

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Does anyone have the to&e for a british infantry platoon in 1944?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Does anyone have the to&e for a british infantry platoon in 1944?

Surely you mean a Platoon, Infantry, British, Mk.1944?

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Tevery Best posted:

The same reason the soap that comes in MREs is labelled "Do Not Eat".

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Comrade Koba posted:

Surely you mean a Platoon, Infantry, British, Mk.1944?

Don't be silly.

It wouldn't be a Mark, it would be a Revision.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

For theirs were not to question why

theirs was just to do and die

- Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

DONE, What have I.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Basically the only good scene from that movie.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Where the Nazis issued their soldiers meth, the Allies preferred the tamer benzedrine, which as a racemic amphetamine was basically what is now adderall. The average soldier ran on stimulants from day to day from coffee and tobacco to more potent amphetamines and that made up for most of their drug use. Some doctors on the other hand ended up abusing anything to their disposal that could get them high, from morphine to diethyl ether. I also read that the Americans distributed a shitload of benzedrine and dexedrine to Japanese civilians so that they wouldn't feel hunger and could keep working without complaint, and that created a drug epidemic of sorts in postwar Japan.

I also think, though may be wrong, that U.S. soldiers in the Pacific were given barbiturates to help with acclimation

Tias posted:

I would imagine the US military has switched to Modafinil by now?

Has the US military taken up modafinil in any real way? One thing I find interesting about modern day nootropics is that when it came to such drugs, Soviets, and later Russians, were the pioneers. The cosmonauts took poo poo like piracetam, phenylpiracetam, and phenibut up to space IIRC, and Russian olympians were doped up with all sorts of performance enhancing nootropics like bromantane. All of these were given to military and to these days most nootropic drugs are OTC in Russia.

Fututor Magnus fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 7, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Splode posted:

In the Danish army, we had DOLK, DRÆBE (KNIFE, [verb for killing]) :D

Fututor Magnus posted:

Has the US military taken up modafinil in any real way? One thing I find interesting about modern day nootropics is that when it came to such drugs, Soviets, and later Russians, were the pioneers. The cosmonauts took poo poo like piracetam, phenylpiracetam, and phenibut up to space IIRC, and Russian olympians were doped up with all sorts of performance enhancing nootropics like bromantane. All of these were given to military and to these days most nootropic drugs are OTC in Russia.

I only have anecdotal stories, but modafinil seems like an obvious solution: long-term wakefullness without the psychosis potential and jitters of amphetamines. I used to be addicted to speed, and let me tell you tunnel vision and delusions of demons inside your walls are no fun at all :eng99:

E: The wiki links to this article about the USAF approving modafinil for aircrew fatigue and "investigation into other uses":

http://www.hep.afrl.af.mil/HEPF/Policy/modafinil.pdf

Tias fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Nov 7, 2016

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I suppose if I looked at my clothing list it would be like that, but I think it's mostly out of style in NZ these days. We still clean our weapons after exercises with ragsold (Rags, old) though!

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Tias posted:

In the Danish army, we had DOLK, DRÆBE (KNIFE, [verb for killing]) :D

Which we werent allowed to sharpen :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

vuk83 posted:

Eh? Why?

Do you have to hand it back in and get a fresh one or just wander around with a butter knife?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Polikarpov posted:

The same reason the soap that comes in MREs is labelled "Do Not Eat".

Just lean it against a rock or something

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Woo, got back to the front of the thread. Now I have to read about T-55, one of my favorite subjects.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Eh? Why?

Do you have to hand it back in and get a fresh one or just wander around with a butter knife?

The utility of a sharp knife, killing, for the purpose of, for a modern soldier is about the same as that of a blunt one and the injury rate is much lower. Nobrainer, really.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

OwlFancier posted:

Eh? Why?

I'd hazard the guess that since we were just in for a one-year conscription period and we weren't expecting to be doing any fighting ever, they'd rather didn't we futz around with our gear.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Back in the 1800s they also did not sharpen officer's swords until they actually went on campaign. It makes sense since every time you sharpen a blade you are degrading it, so only sharpen it if you really need it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

aphid_licker posted:

The utility of a sharp knife, killing, for the purpose of, for a modern soldier is about the same as that of a blunt one and the injury rate is much lower. Nobrainer, really.

Well, I guess, but then I also thought that knives were mostly for utility purposes for that very reason and a blunt knife is not especially useful.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

vuk83 posted:

I feel like this is a useful metaphor for NATO

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Tias posted:

I'd hazard the guess that since we were just in for a one-year conscription period and we weren't expecting to be doing any fighting ever, they'd rather didn't we futz around with our gear.

I never found out why. Before deploying to Iraq on the soldiers in my company asked in a Q&A session with the coy-commander, if it was okay to sharpen his knife. Basic answer was DADT. :shrug:
But a more useless piece of kit. No option for using as a bayonet, and an awful scabbard, and some how always got super rusty.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

We finish the Italian explosives today with their mines and traps! Which mine could be armed by "remote control"? Which mine could be detonated by cutting its tripwire, and how did it work? Why was the Ratchet Mine so ingenious, and what was it primarily used for? Which mine had a false lid? What are the differences between the V-3 and the V-5? Why did the Pignone Type II require more pressure to activate than the Type I?

And which mine(s) gave me a huge amount of trouble reading?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

vuk83 posted:

I never found out why. Before deploying to Iraq on the soldiers in my company asked in a Q&A session with the coy-commander, if it was okay to sharpen his knife. Basic answer was DADT. :shrug:
But a more useless piece of kit. No option for using as a bayonet, and an awful scabbard, and some how always got super rusty.
high carbon steel gets rusty if you so much as glance at it :(:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

A while ago I did actually have the opportunity to ask a couple of people where "for the use of" comes from. One assured me quite eloquently that it was always meant as a pisstake of the master, quarter's, speaking style, approved; the other informed me equally eloquently that it used to be used to earmark certain goods to be issued only for certain units or duties, so you might have entries like "Cloaks, Warm, Guard Duty, for the use of" and "Pencils, Copying, C Company, for the use of". :shrug:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Trin Tragula posted:

A while ago I did actually have the opportunity to ask a couple of people where "for the use of" comes from. One assured me quite eloquently that it was always meant as a pisstake of the master, quarter's, speaking style, approved; the other informed me equally eloquently that it used to be used to earmark certain goods to be issued only for certain units or duties, so you might have entries like "Cloaks, Warm, Guard Duty, for the use of" and "Pencils, Copying, C Company, for the use of". :shrug:

Okay, this does make certain sense. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Back in the 1800s they also did not sharpen officer's swords until they actually went on campaign. It makes sense since every time you sharpen a blade you are degrading it, so only sharpen it if you really need it.

If you want to be really smug, do it outside your enemies embassy.