Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
You have 36 hours to stop Lack of Bear defaulting to gold.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
man I don't know how we got off schedule, but having contests not end on sunday nights kind of sucks

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
If there's a consensus for extending to 23:59 UTC 3/3/19. then we will.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Please do.

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Edit: Decided to retool Elspeth and Koth a bit.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 28, 2019

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

The comics are a great source of art for walkers if you can find them.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

If you don't want to break your neck, the flip side reads "Flying; 1U, Tap: Tap target permanent. It doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step."

Tulul fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 3, 2019

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Putting this is well past the wire, so I don't expect it to be in contention. It's also shoddily designed, but I wanted to take a crack at the list of "requested, non-carded characters" list that went around the other day. I don't actually want Urza or Yawg to to get for real's cards even though it's inevitable. Their mystique is that they weren't a single card.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Yeah, that’s a bit too after the deadline. I’ll post results after I awaken.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
The Results

Honourable Mention:

That's a perfect execution of an uncommon Champions of Kamigawa flip legend. Kudos.

Third:

Wow, that's a pushed and powerful White Weenie enabler. Play her on two and chain out an entire hand of one-drops. Fun with Glimpse of nature. Not quite up there with tap three untapped elves for GGG, but definitely in the same ballpark.

Second:

Succinct, elegant, true to the lore.

First:

This is amazing. True to the old school lore, the first ability a nod to the disciple, the minion and Planeswalker's Scorn, the second a fixed version of Malicious Advice. I'd change only two things, make Tymorlin a human, and give the uptick ability an 'up to one' as is the standard, maybe tweak the numbers on the effect.

Congrats, TheChirurgeon!

Spreadsheet updated.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Just realized that this upcoming will be our 100th contest! :toot:

I have an HM in over a third of them. :j:

Edit2: On page 101. So close!

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Mar 5, 2019

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Sweet! As soon as the contest started I had Tvesh in mind. I owned that weird-rear end Fallen Empires comic as a kid and I had no idea what was going on for most of it with the way it jumps around.

OK, so normally my contests operate on some kind of nostalgia but I think we get better results when we do simple mechanical requests. So your assignment this week is:

:siren:Make a direct damage spell.:siren:

The Task
You could argue that Magic hit it out of the park on day 1 with Lightning Bolt and Disintegrate (I've always found Fireball to be somewhat inelegant since it's really an XY spell), but I think there's still room to go. So your job is to make a spell that does 1 or more points of damage to a target. It needn't be "any target;" you can just do creatures or players or planeswalkers if you want. It can do other things besides damage, if you want it to. But it's gotta be a spell, and not a permanent. Go nuts!

What I'm Looking For
Show me something that hasn't been done before, or hasn't been explored enough yet. It should be good enough to either be a limited first pick or constructed playable in the format of your choice. You should also adhere to the color pie. Yeah, that means we're less likely to see blue cards this contest, but kudos if you find a way to make it work (though I am skeptical).

When Does the Contest End?
Let's get back on a regular schedule. The contest ends at midnight PST on Sunday, March 10th.

e: Reverse Damage is a mistake. Will replace it with the one M10 card image that prevents 2 damage and does 2 damage to another target later

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Mar 5, 2019

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Obligitory resubs:

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Mar 5, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Mardu bolt, doing a passable impression of Lightning Helix, Terminate or both.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

This should really require you to sacrifice the creatures instead of destroying them

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Kuiperdolin fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 6, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Designed to be a Commander Card(TM), but I could imagine some Eternal format combos, too. Absolutely no idea how to cost it, though.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

This should really require you to sacrifice the creatures instead of destroying them

You're right, I had a minor brainfart.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
One more day to get your entries in!

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I feel like I've got the templating and costing wrong here, because I feel like this should already be an existing effect somewhere.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

It is a cool effect though.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Lack of Bear posted:

It is a cool effect though.

Eff it, I'm just gonna stand by it.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Lack of Bear fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 10, 2019

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

e:

e2:

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 11, 2019

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

Because why should you have to throw your own Ghalta at the enemy?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Eeev, what is with you and making fascinating and wonderful wonky cards? There are so many interesting interactions and strategies a card like this opens up.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Alright, it's time to RENDER JUDGMENT

HONORABLE MENTION
PMush's Pyre by PMushPerfect

Shuttershock by The Gorp

:golfclap:

THIRD PLACE
Fiery Sacrifice by Mikl

You're getting better at this! The thing that kept this from doing better was that it didn't make sense for a black and red card to base the damage on toughness and not power. Especially given the cost, I think you could have gone that way. At X=1 it's already a worse Fling so the opportunity needed to be there to take it real big.

SECOND PLACE
Illusory Assault by Eeevil

I appreciated your attempts to make a blue damage spell that didn't completely destroy the color pie. The only thing I didn't love was that it feels slightly undercosted. Would have liked to have seen this at UU or 2U, especially since it can essentially be used as "destroy 4 1/1 token creatures." Otherwise I think it's a real strong design and I like it a lot! I also liked Hunt to Extinction and Self Destruct a lot as well.

FIRST PLACE
Feed the Flames by Tulul

I like this a lot and wish it had been done already. Seems like a great way to use the "any number of cards named X" mechanic for Red and it sidesteps the Storm issue. Congrats!

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

:toot:

The theme this week is :siren:DUNGEONS & DRAGONS:siren:.

Despite D&D and Magic having coexisted at Wizards for over two decades, there's never been any crossover between the two franchises until recently, when a setting book for Ravnica was released. The challenge is to go the other way - make a card or cards that come from a hypothetical D&D set. This can be from any of the numerous campaign settings or more generic dungeon-crawling fantasy. Cards will be judged by use of mechanics to evoke the setting/tone and overall style.

Contest ends Sunday, March 17th, 11:59 PM EST.

Tulul fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 11, 2019