Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Nebalebadingdong posted:

agreed, but i think its better to make it at least slightly useful for the average game

Um... what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

If it's an attempt to counter pyroclasm effects it doesn't work at all as currently worded. The templating here is bad enough that I don't even know how the card is actually supposed to work.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
I'd reword it as a more generic "prevent all non-combat damage to creatures you control" effect

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I had a brain fart and forgot that you can't prevent already dealt damage

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 23, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Instant infinite with anything that wants creatures to ETB, or any anthem effect.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

PMush Perfect posted:

Instant infinite with anything that wants creatures to ETB, or any anthem effect.

Yeah I'm fine with that

fight me

e: FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE. Fixed.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Coalmine stops trample.
0 damage spills over I think?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

The Gorp posted:

Coalmine stops trample.

if the canary is flat, you get the gently caress out!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The Gorp posted:

Coalmine stops trample.
1) You can't prevent damage that was already dealt.
2) Trample damage and combat damage happen at the same time.
3) Canary has 1 toughness. Unbuffed, it can't sacrifice itself to do anything because as soon as it's taken damage, it dies as a state-based action.

The easy fix here is changing it to "Sacrifice ~: Prevent all damage from a source that would deal damage to ~." Then it stops everything from trample damage to Blasphemous Act.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 24, 2019

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Thieving Magpie
Creature - bird (UUU, rare, 1/1)
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a creature that has an Equipment or Aura attached to it, take control of that Equipment or Aura and attach it to a creature you control.
"It's always searching for something shiny to decorate his nest with."

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Mikl posted:

Thieving Magpie

A good trope, and Blue does have quite a few one and done theft effects, but...

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

AJ_Impy posted:

A good trope, and Blue does have quite a few one and done theft effects, but...

Yeahhhhhh I forgot that existed (I couldn't check because I was on my phone).

I still tried to re-work it, though:

It's still a retread, but I think it turned out alright. (Though not as good as other cards in this contest.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mikl posted:

Yeahhhhhh I forgot that existed (I couldn't check because I was on my phone).

I still tried to re-work it, though:

It's still a retread, but I think it turned out alright. (Though not as good as other cards in this contest.)
With only 1 toughness, it's basically never going to survive a fight with an equipped creature. 1 power makes sense, but especially at UUU, you can probably afford to give it a respectable toughness. 1/4 sounds good to me? That way it's not the worst flying blocker in the world if you draft it and your opponent isn't using equipment. And this is the kind of card you build around draft usage.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

:j:

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Great minds think alike.

And the rest of the flock:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

With only 1 toughness, it's basically never going to survive a fight with an equipped creature. 1 power makes sense, but especially at UUU, you can probably afford to give it a respectable toughness. 1/4 sounds good to me? That way it's not the worst flying blocker in the world if you draft it and your opponent isn't using equipment. And this is the kind of card you build around draft usage.

Thanks! I wouldn't know that because I don't play draft :ssh:

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

A whole lot of very good birds in here right now. Entries are closed. I will have my judgement in the morning tomorrow.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

I was thinking about how to make this canary work. It is a good concept for a card. I probably would have made a triggered replacement effect that sacced the bird if damage would be dealt to you or a permanent you control. You could also do a static ability that prevents noncombat damage to creatures you control on a fragile body, but that would probably cost more than one.

Bird Judgement

Honorable Mention: Kuiperdolin's Ubeak

This parrot is so fun. I was talking with some friends about the contest and we came up with the same basic design. The only issue I have is that it ends up being just a bigger, more open ended version of Tawnos.

Third Place: Kuiperdolin's Enormous Dodo

This giant bird that can't do anything makes my EDH brain start spinning. I want cast Overwhelming Stampede or at least fling it at something.

Second Place: Hardcordion's Jouster's Ostrich

Of the ostriches, I liked this one the most. If we ever have a set based around Joust, this would be the right uncommon for the slot.

First Place:
Tulul's Cockaturtle

It is nice to see a solid common role filler. It is good on attack and defense, but not too good for a one drop. It reads as a turtle and a bird. What more do you need?

Congratulations Tulul

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

drat, Tulul! Two for two. It's only March and we may already have our rookie of the year.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
:v:

Taking a probably-too-long break between working on college projects, the theme this week will appropriately be :siren:procrastination:siren:.

Give me cards that use up time in some fashion. These can be cards that require delays to play or use, cards that use time as a resource, cards that draw out a game, or anything else you can think of that fits the theme (I'm not being strict here).

Contest ends 11:59 EST on Sunday, March 31st.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Spreadsheet updated.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Long ago in a distant land...

(I'm sure it's been done before, but I'll be damned if I can find it. I'm bad at searching.)

Mikl fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Mar 26, 2019

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Posting on the first day of this contest should be disqualifying imo.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Have some resubmissions while I... uh... work on new stuff. Later. :effort:

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

resubmitting old work:

new stuff:

Lack of Bear fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 26, 2019

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Couple of things. 'Leisurely', and you're missing 'target' on the vindicate effect.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Minor thing: For the first clause, you probably want to copy Azor's Elocutors wording. The second part is basically an Oblivion Ring effect, and should probably start with "when". Most likely none of this matters but occasionally I decide to act like a templating sperg

(also, speaking of being an oblivion ring effect, this is functionally a weak white card)

"return target return target creature", also remove is currently capitalized I guess.

this is a cool card though

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Well these are a mess.

Fixed.

Here's another one:

Only 17 characters
Feb 23, 2014

19 dollars and a toothbrush.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Eh, gently caress it, I don't feel subtle right now.

Anshu fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 27, 2019

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Anshu posted:

Eh, gently caress it, I don't feel subtle right now.

Somewhat amusingly, you can win the game with Angel’s Grace and Acid Rain. Maybe the anti-environmentalist fundamentalists are on to something.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Elyv posted:

Minor thing: For the first clause, you probably want to copy Azor's Elocutors wording. The second part is basically an Oblivion Ring effect, and should probably start with "when". Most likely none of this matters but occasionally I decide to act like a templating sperg

(also, speaking of being an oblivion ring effect, this is functionally a weak white card)

Thanks, help about templating is always appreciated! Fixed:

I've also lowered the cost to XU, so it's not as underpowered (for the same cost as Oblivion Ring you get a three-turn effect). I've decided to leave it blue though, since time is more or less blue's thing in MTG.

VVV Duh, had a brain fart. Fixed.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 27, 2019

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
As it stands, X=0 and X=1 are functionally identical.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

There's a lot of busted interactions that come from skipping upkeep, so I like the way this basically makes you skip from turn-start to MP1 without actually removing draw or upkeep. Janky but cool.