Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Latest (and last, I hope) update to Destiny Bond, because y'all made me aware (rightly) of the correct creature type to target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

An exercise in contrasts.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
:havlat: This is your twenty-four hour notice before judging begins! :havlat:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Well then, I guess it's time for...

Judgement is Arceus' signature move, and Arceus can change type depending on what item it holds. This is an attempt to replicate the type weakness mechanic in Magic; more useful against single-coloured creature, or even colourless, less useful on multi-coloureds because more type resistances, right?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mikl posted:

Well then, I guess it's time for...

Keep Sunburst, but just make it "is all colors", otherwise it creates memory issues.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Alright. I trust your... Judgement.

desktop_metaphor
Apr 24, 2019
I found some pokemon I drew as a kid and made some cards outta them!

pup tart
Apr 22, 2019
what an incredible theme. i had an extremely hard time making anything for this theme because it's exactly what i want, and i couldn't post anything that i hadn't thought through 1000% because i care way too much about this

i thought about making evolution as a mechanic a heck of a lot and i wrote everything up into a super long document which you can read. since we were talking about design in the thread a little bit i thought it would be neat to share my process on how i came up with the design for my cards. i enjoyed reading peoples' thoughts on other peoples' cards in this thread and everyone helping to make the cards the best they can be. a really short summary of my process is that i think evolution should make as much sense as possible thematically, and i hope that i was able to accomplish that. you can read my extremely long process here: https://pastebin.com/5Chjh7Gj

i also of course made some cards that used my evolution mechanic! i want to make more, and i wanted to draw the art for these cards as well, but in the interest of actually getting my cards in on time to be judged (unlike what i did in the last contest) here they are:

desktop_metaphor
Apr 24, 2019
I really like pup tart's Evolution mechanic, and I also like this terrifying drawing I did as a kid, so I made a card combining them:

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

I know slowbro is wordy, but the text has a whole card back to cover.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Honorable Mentions:

Anshu's Magicarp/Gyarados: While I'd have gone with +1/+1 counters and "Magikarp's power is always zero" or something, I like how this card emulates having to carry around dead weight on your team until it finally transforms into a murderfish.
Lack of Bear's Weird Tree: You had a lot of amazing cards so I picked the one that happens to be one of favorite monsters. Cave Zubat and Missingno are also particularly great at representing their in-game counterparts.
Mikl's Destiny Bond: It took a little fine tuning but in the end you've got a solid card here. Great for removing that big scary creature the opponent's been pumping, just like in the games and the alternate casting cost makes it particularly sneaky.
P Mush Perfect's Unown cycle: Simple but elegant and quite thematic. Taking a cue from the TCG with the flavor text is a nice touch.
pup tart's Eevee and friends: While like your take on the eevee evolution tree and evolution as a mechanic, I also wanted to commend you on going extra step and including your thought process.

Third Place: desktop_metaphor's assorted pokemon and childhood doodles:

Like Lack of Bear, you made a lot of cards that get their pokemon across creatively but those drawings are what really bumped you up onto the podium. I especially like how Psychic Type Venonat works.

Second Place: Tulul's transforming evolvers:

Of the attempts at adapting some kind of evolution mechanic to Magic, it this approach was the most successful. It keeps the rules text on the base form where the it's likely to lead to micro text, doesn't require creatures to always appear together in decks to get their full benefits and even implies training to level-up.

First Place:itsmekidney's Elite Four:

In the end I went with this cycle because each of them having a specialty creature type is a staple of the franchise and something I'd want to see encouraged in decks built in the hypothetical pokemon block. Coming into play not only with a signature pokemon but also imparting them with a signature move like Agatha's Dream Eater or Lance's Hyperbeam(?) is just too cool. I want to use these guys as commanders!

There were so many great cards this week. Thank you all for making this such a popular round and congratulations to the winner!

Hardcordion fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 14, 2019

itsmekidney
May 6, 2019
Hey! Just wanted to let everyone know I'm here; since this is my first time as a judge (and I've only been around a couple weeks in general), I'm taking a little while to come up with a theme and a post about that theme, but I am here, and I'll have it all ready soon. Thank you for your patience everyone, hopefully I'll have a fun theme that will inspire some good cards.

itsmekidney
May 6, 2019
Okay everyone! The last few weeks have seen a surprising number of bizarre "land" cards, so I thought I'd follow it up by creating a theme for supporting those lands.

Lands Matter

I'm looking for cards that interact with lands in meaningful ways. I realize this is a fairly open-ended topic, so just throw things at the wall and see what sticks.

While I'm going to try to be an impartial judge, you should know that I'm really only all that familiar with Commander as a format, so I might have trouble seeing the value in cards meant for other formats.

Contest ends Wednesday, May 22nd at 11:59 PM, PDT.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Spreadsheet updated.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Edited in a card.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 18, 2019

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Do the Oblivion Ring trick to just permanently steal all the lands everywhere forever.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

desktop_metaphor
Apr 24, 2019

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Lack of Bear fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 16, 2019

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
It's very probable that each of these is broken beyond belief, but I love lands too much to make them anything but insane.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I was trying to come up with a "basic lands matter" mechanic... then realized I actually did that two and a half years ago.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Edit: withdrawn from consideration

Anshu fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 18, 2019

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

I think adding between 1 and 5+ mana every turn should at least have some cost.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

On reflection, you're right, but I think it should be a fairly low cost. Assuming a 1-mana-per-land baseline, 1 land -> 2 lands is a 100% increase, 2 lands -> 3 lands is a 50% increase, 3 -> 4 a 33%, etc; so the longer a player has to wait before playing this land, the more disruptive its effect (essentially, a 100% increase no matter how many lands you already had) will be.

How's this?

Edit: withdrawn from consideration

Anshu fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 18, 2019

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I have an old eldrazi deck and even running it mono green that artifact seems insane. Chill in monocolored for three turns and you have a mana vault that doesn't sacrifice itself.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

if you compare it to prismatic geoscope it comes out ahead even if you are using it every turn and that costs 5.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Welp, back to the drawing board...

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 18, 2019

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
What do you get when you combine Armageddon and Ixidron?

Advice on the sacrifice clause formatting would be appreciated if it's incorrect. Didn't want people cheating in big morph creatures with the landfall trigger.

desktop_metaphor
Apr 24, 2019

desktop_metaphor fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 21, 2019

Only 17 characters
Feb 23, 2014

19 dollars and a toothbrush.

Only 17 characters fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

e. Actual card instead of placeholder.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 22, 2019