Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itsmekidney
May 6, 2019

Here's a card I made because of some wordplay, but then I realized I sort of liked it, and renamed it so it wouldn't be silver border.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Anshu posted:

I feel like it should be something like "If The Quick Brown Fox would be blocked by a Dog, it gains flying until the end of combat"

This is very good and I wish I had thought of it myself. I'm on my phone right now but I'll make another version of the card tomorrow.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Finally came up with something!

Edit: Fixed a phrasing issue.

Edit2:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 1, 2019

pup tart
Apr 22, 2019
hey all, I missed the 24 hour warning, so here is your courtesy 14 hour and five minute warning!

Only 17 characters
Feb 23, 2014

19 dollars and a toothbrush.

The Quick Fox God jumped over the wire, under the wire? Just in time ? Something like that

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

desktop_metaphor
Apr 24, 2019

pup tart
Apr 22, 2019
okay, time's up! thanks to everyone who participated in this contest, it's been really fun to see all the new foxes rolling in.

Honorable Mentions:

these cards were close contenders but didn't quite make top 3. here they are in no particular order:

Mikl's Megafauna Hunter: magic's got giant foxes. magic's got wurms. vulpine goliath establishes the food chain between them. foxes dive into the snow headfirst and they look silly. i like it! maybe it's a bit silly, but it'd be nice if it interacted with snow permanents in some way, since its flavor implies that it does. also, magic doesn't seem to use "Giant" as a type outside of referring to giants as a race of their own.

itsmekidney's Skittish Fox: i really like the concept of this card, using it is like having control of a real creature that you have to sort of maintain your relationship with. the megamorph mechanic is a neat way to illustrate this, but since it turns into a 2/2 when it is flipped, it ends up getting stronger when it "runs away" instead of when it "comes back", so it feels like you are rooting for it to leave instead of trying to keep it around.

desktop_metaphor's Hopeful Fox: i've tried so many times to make decendants' path work, but it always lets me down. i feel like this card might end up being similar, but i would definitely try to make a deck with four of them. it reminds me of charmed stray, but it's different enough to be interesting in its own right.

Mikl's The Quick Brown Fox: the funniest thing about this card to me is how nonchalantly it introduces Dog as a creature type. even though the contest is over, i'd still like to see the version of it that you were thinking of posting today (:

okay! now on to the showing:

Third Place: AJ_Impy's Greater Foxfire:

foxfire is a card that i keep in my rare binder for no good reason, and greater foxfire is a card that would actually find its way into one of my decks. it's a good upgrade to a not-so-good card, and the poke at the old card in both greater foxfire's design and flavor text feels very much like something that mtg might actually do.

Second Place: Lack of Bear's Winter Coat:

i mentioned in my long spiel about the evolution mechanics in the pokemon contest that i like tracking the narrative of magic games, and this card feels very much like the progression in a story. the onset of winter is here, and if you can't adapt you'll be in trouble. it follows in the tradition of other snow-based cards slowing the game down a bit, which fits in with a blue deck that wants to pillowfort a bit, and throwing a few copies of this card out on different creatures stacks the effect in way that feels clever both mechanics-wise and narrative-wise.

First Place: Eeevil's Fennix:

i feel like this card is an extremely good fit for this contest. i like how it steps around my suggestion against "when this creature dies" effects by giving it a "when this creature doesn't die" effect, which keeps it sort of in line with magic's foxes' abilities. it's also very clever that you can get that effect without even having it die first, since it interacts well with cards that make you discard as an additional cost, which you also find heavily in red. also, it reminds me of a tiny, more red sensei's divining top, a card from the set that should have had better foxes than it did. as a little bonus, it would also be a great entry for the birds that aren't bird people contest, which this was inspired by. it absolutely feels like some bored wizard would create a fennix a la vizzerdrix, and think they were super clever for it, so i think the creature has a good fit into the magic universe, to boot. all of this is made even a bit more impressive to me by this card being one of the first cards submitted in the contest. great job!

thanks to everyone for entertaining me with a bunch of good foxes! best of luck to everyone in the next contest!

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Copycats

This week's challenge: design a card that creates, becomes, or enters as a copy of another card or game object, whether that be a permanent, a spell, or anything else. Cards are not required to be cat themed. The contest will end next Saturday (June 8th) at 6:00 p.m. CT.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jun 2, 2019

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

This is a repost:

And also, from last contest, since pup tart wanted to see the new version of The Quick Brown Fox (apologies! I was away all day and I forgot when I came back home in the evening):

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

I'm not as surprised as I maybe should be that this wasn't a card in Modern Horizons.

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 2, 2019

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Lack of Bear fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 2, 2019

itsmekidney
May 6, 2019
EDIT: There was an issue with Remnants of the Past, so I fixed the wording to be more official looking. Plus I made it White bordered.

itsmekidney fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 4, 2019

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

e. Actual card.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 3, 2019

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

This kinda pushes the limits of what it means to "copy", and may not fall within the perimeters of the contest.

itsmekidney
May 6, 2019

itsmekidney fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 4, 2019

desktop_metaphor
Apr 24, 2019

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

itsmekidney
May 6, 2019

itsmekidney fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 4, 2019

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

itsmekidney
May 6, 2019

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Spreadsheet updated.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

The intent is this has an ever-increasing list of things it does when cranked, but as soon as you fail to give it new abilities it explodes, also if it's the first thing you assemble it'll probably explode immediately

The above clarifications is because it's an un-ability and the templating on those is shaky at best

President Ark fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 7, 2019

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Lack of Bear fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 6, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

So, 1 for R, 2x2 for 2RR, and 3x3x3 for 4RRR (excepting proliferate shenanigans)?

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Yeah and it can be like 9, 6 and 3, or 3 3 3. Proliferate shouldn't come into it since it only does permanents and players. I had a hard time costing it, but I am okay with it where it is at.

You can also activate the ability on the copies if you want to do less damage for whatever reason.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Sorta-kinda like this one, but not quite:

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Lack of Bear fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 7, 2019

desktop_metaphor
Apr 24, 2019

edit: made some yugioh cards

desktop_metaphor fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 8, 2019

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Reminder: this is the last day to submit cards for this round.

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 8, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

xelada
Dec 21, 2012

pup tart
Apr 22, 2019

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

The deadline has now passed. Prepare for judgement.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Honorable Mentions

Stolen Finisher, by AJ_Impy

I intentionally left this design space open with the rules, and this is a good execution of the concept, but this card isn't actually that interesting to me. Sorry I made a trap option, here's an honmen.

Mellified Memories, by itsmekidney

Credit to you for going out of the box on this one. I don't quite know what to make of this card, but I appreciate it. It probably shouldn't be a common though.

Mimic Fighter, by Mikl

This card was interesting to think about, though in most cases it just ends up being weird deathtouch. I'd like it to have more power so there's actually an incentive to block it.

The Podium
3rd Place: Blood Pack, by Lack of Bear

There were a few different cards this round that copied themselves, which wasn't strictly allowed within the rules, but this card is cool enough that I'll allow it. It works as land hate but what sounds the most fun to me is playing it with cards that give you extra land drops and pumping out a bunch of zero mana 3/2s.

2nd Place: Supersede, by Lack of Bear

It's hard to overcome the clunkiness of being a 6 cost reactive spell, but I think this card pulls it off. The power and versatility of an instant control magic that can also hit spells is great, and the entwine really takes it the extra mile.

1st Place: Impolite Orgg, by PMush Perfect

I love this ability. Particularly, I love that it's symmetrical and not optional, which leads to all kinds of fun min-puzzles. It forces your opponent to make all kinds of sequencing decisions about how they can play creatures without feeding the Orgg, while also having to make decisions about how they can stop getting beaten down by a 5/5. If I have one complaint, it's that I don't understand why it's black, but I don't really see that as a design problem.

Congratulations to the winner and good luck running the next round.

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh, poo poo, that's me.

Chunky Boys

Show me some creatures with 10 or more printed power and/or toughness. Using -1/-1 counters and Death's Shadow effects are cheating. I want to see double-digit numbers and know that when I windmill slam down my giant fatty, it's going to eat a Doom Blade my opponent is going to take notice. Eldrazi are also probably not going to get far, that is just :effort: at its finest. In general, aim more for "Timmy's First Mythic" than "Show and Tell", I want cards I'd be hype to see hit either side of the board.

Contest ends at 11:59 PM, PST on Sunday, May 16th.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 9, 2019