Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

What is X?

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Crap, meant to be colorless mana and misread the symbol. Fixed.

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 17, 2019

pup tart
Apr 22, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

I don't know exactly what the purpose of this card would be, but I couldn't get the idea out of my head.

Edit:

A version that at least has a purpose.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 17, 2019

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

I was tempted to template it as "storms with goblins" in honor of the "bands with" mechanic, but decided against it.

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 17, 2019

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Eeevil posted:

I was tempted to template it as "storms with goblins" in honor of the "bands with" mechanic, but decided against it.

based on gravestorm, i think the ability would be phrased as "goblinstorm"

e: actual submissions -

Someone on twitter I follow once came up with the idea of a storm card that said something like "halve all player's life totals, storm". I like the idea of a storm card that halves things - it means that, strictly speaking, the original has the highest impact and the copies have a decreasing effect, even if the actual impact gets larger as more copies are added. With this card, the original kills the most things, but it's the later ones that start killing large nasty creatures or important artifacts as players run out of fodder:

For artifact lands, I think the way to go with them would be to make them either no-mana cards with utility effects similar to maze of ith...

...or powerful mana sources with very stringent conditions.

The idea is to limit the 'bonus' to artifacts-matters deck by making them either hard to get actual mana out of, or just utility pieces that only benefit affinity and can't be used manawise for non-affinity cards.

e2: additional submission:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3789848&pagenumber=117#post496832971

President Ark fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 19, 2019

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
What do you do with something that does nothing?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Placeholder until I can do card images.

Coordinated Efforts 1W
Enchantment
Soldiers you control have Banding.
Whenever two or more creatures you control attack or block in a band, each of those creatures gets +2/+2 until end of turn.

Nanomech Army 3
Artifact Creature - Construct
Banding
At the beginning of your upkeep, create a token that's a copy of ~.
1/1

Colossal Protector 2GW
Creature - Knight Giant
Banding
Creatures that attack in a band with ~ gain indestructible until end of turn.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

Nanomech Army 3
Artifact Creature - Construct
Banding
At the beginning of your upkeep, create a token that's a copy of ~.
1/1

Should this have "except it doesn't have this ability", or is the geometric growth working as planned?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Mikl posted:

Should this have "except it doesn't have this ability", or is the geometric growth working as planned?

Exactly as planned

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

...You never did get to play in the Rishadan Port era, did you?

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Death and Taxes is still a deck and it runs the hell out of Port.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

both abilities on that card are significantly undercosted

President Ark
May 16, 2010

in addition to referencing a really good webcomic, this probably also would work really well with past in flames, which seems appropriate

President Ark fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 19, 2019

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

In under the buzzer only because of timezones!

Edit:

Because there's no kill like overkill.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 22, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Anyone know any other threads an_mutt posts in?

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Nope, no idea.
I'm down to wait for a bit, some emergency might have come up.

Only 17 characters
Feb 23, 2014

19 dollars and a toothbrush.

I know I'm late but maybe I can still sneak by...

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

I know it is definitely too late, but this reminded me that I wanted to make an aura that tapped.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Oh christ, sorry folks I completely forgot about this. I'll close submissions now (I know I specified the end of Sunday but I'll look over everything submitted), and make my judgement in about 10 hours from now.

PMush Perfect posted:

Anyone know any other threads an_mutt posts in?
The only other places I usually browse are (occasionally) the main magic thread and (much more often) the New Japan Pro Wrestling threads. If you ever see me screaming over those nice wrestleboys then just know that I'm still good.

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 23, 2019

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Honourable Mentions

Fortress of the Witch (itsmekidney) and Skytimber Garrison (Lack of Bear)

itsmekidney rightfully said that artifact lands doesn't feel like a mechanic at all, so I was excited to see how they were approached. I've put these two together because I feel like Vehicles as quasi-Manlands is a cool piece of design that I could very easily see in an actual Magic set - lands that enter tapped, tap for 2 colours of mana, and require bodies (rather than mana) in order to boot up, for example.

The Stormcrystal (The Gorp)

Unfortunately this doesn't work as printed, as Storm is triggered on casting the original spell - instead it would be better as an artifact you sacrifice first in order to give the next spell you cast Storm. This effect is incredibly dangerous, as it could easily be broken, but at the same time it's just cool as hell. This is absolutely just the big jank mythic of any future Storm-containing set, that does nothing for most of its Standard life then has an awesome deck for a few weeks (see: Thousand-Year Storm).

Scourge of God (President Ark)

Ark explains the strong design elements behind Storm spells that halve as an effect, so I'm just gonna quote what they said here:

President Ark posted:

[...] something like "halve all player's life totals, storm". I like the idea of a storm card that halves things - it means that, strictly speaking, the original has the highest impact and the copies have a decreasing effect, even if the actual impact gets larger as more copies are added. With this card, the original kills the most things, but it's the later ones that start killing large nasty creatures or important artifacts as players run out of fodder.

The monowhite costing of this card is a little wonky (and actually makes it look a little uglier than it would at 2WWW, as weird as that sounds?), but aside from that I really like the idea. Very much a toss-up between this and 3rd place, but this just misses out on account of it feeling 'safe', for lack of a better term. If I had to design a Storm spell that halves as an effect, this is probably what would come to mind first - at the same time, I feel like there isn't much else to explore here besides halving lifetotals and numbers of nonland permanents, so moving outside of that is a challenge in and of itself.

3rd Place: Goleg, Lord of Eternal Rot (PMush Perfect)

Cool to see a planeswalker tapping into one of these mechanics, and while I feel like the card is underpowered I feel like it’s unique enough to merit a spot on the podium. Goleg is interesting because, while it features the Dredge mechanic, it doesn’t really fit into the conventionally powerful Dredge decks so a different direction would be necessary in building around it. Instead, the Dredge is there almost as a payoff for sticking it out with Goleg for a bunch of turns. The card is very toolbox-y, yet can be a toolbox for a variety of graveyard decks: reanimator; general value stuff; combo, etc. My only issue is the costing of abilities – I’d be very put off by having to cash in my ‘walker just to Entomb, while the ultimate feels too far away for a ‘walker that can’t protect itself. Some adjusting of loyalty costs and I’d be a lot higher on this card as a player looking to build around it.

2nd Place: Goblin Alert (Eeevil)

WotC’s aversion to Storm is, as far as I’m aware, that it’s such a risky mechanic to work with due to balancing issues. Therefore, I love the idea of <blank>storm, tying the mechanic to specific tribes, cardtypes, etc. to have a better grasp of how easily it can be enabled and what
effect the spell can actually have. As for the card itself, Goblin Alert feels like a cooler and more powerful Empty the Warrens that is much harder to break, while also being something I’m much less embarrassed to cast for fewer (or no) copies. A 1/1 with Battle Cry is fine by itself, and anything above that feels like a haymaker in any good goblin deck. I also appreciate this card because the moment it’s announced I could picture many people trying to make Goblins be a deck once again in older formats, with a variety of builds with this as a new toy to play with – imagine chaining a Chieftain or a Warchief into two instances of this.

1st Place: Divine Strength / Profane Weakness (Lack of Bear)

Divine Strength / Profane Weakness (Lack of Bear) – an excellent use of the flip mechanic, as it has the possibility of changing modes frequently and each flip has a large effect on the board. At no point are both the +1/+1 and -1/-1 in effect, so there’s always a single Anthem effect (i.e. your guys are +1/+1 over your opponent's) on board in regards to creature combat; the fact that both players have some control over it makes it so that there’s always a lot of decision making to be made for both players – do you (as controller of the enchantment) make a potentially risky attack and give up your +1/+1 boost, in order to shrink your opponent’s creatures? Do you (as the opponent) attack with a creature to temporarily get rid of the -1/-1 effect, and thus have one blocker less next turn and make your opponent's blocks better?

My only real complaint is that it may be too powerful as a 4 mana enchantment, so I would probably cost it at 5 personally. Aside from that, the only other issue can be that the card may be flipping so often that players may lose track of which half you need to be enforcing on the game: in that way, it does both highlight how much more effective Transform is as a mechanic, while also showing how finicky it latter can be. Turning a flip card is easy yet it can be harder to track what side is in effect compared to swapping from one face of a card to the other. Regardless, it’s the card that most made me immediately think about how cool it is, and how much fun it would be to have it in play (and how obnoxious it would be to play against, in a good way). Congrats, Lack of Bear! Apologies if including you twice in this is weird.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Coveted Jewels
This week design a card that gives you a bonus, but your opponent can steal if they hit you. These kinds of cards are a lot of fun in multiplayer. Feel free to use monarch or not, or design a similar mechanic.

You have until end of Sunday, July 28th.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Two variations on the same idea. Objects with a self destruct switch, because we can't have nice things.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Anti-life Field (5WW)
Enchantment, rare
You have protection from creatures.
Whenever you're dealt damage by a noncreature source, that source's controller gains control of Anti-life Field.

itsmekidney
May 6, 2019

I`m abroad rn and dont have access to my card editor, so pls excuse the formatting issues

Also, I admit I made that one use hybrid mana solely so I could use the prettier frame.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Does it count if it's a bad thing that gets passed around that you don't want attached to you?

e: updated the card; original version was more complicated*, more expensive, and couldn't bounce back onto its owner

*most of the simplification was because i realized more than one person couldn't attack per turn anyway

e2: i'm not terribly happy with the name though, but i feel like the original name ("Hottest Potato") was too silly

e3: i'm also going to resubmit this, because while it doesn't fit the wording of the contest, i think it fits the spirit:

President Ark fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 25, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You ever do something that started as a joke and then you realize it's actually kind of neat?

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

Card itself doesn't look too pretty, and probably falls outside of the contest.
Still, I feel like it's worth submitting.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Bad things being passed around are within the scope of the contest.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I haven't made a card in a hot minute but I president ark's plague of blood reminded me of another bloodplague,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itsmekidney
May 6, 2019