Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

TheCog posted:

These are super cool, which I didn't think I'd ever say about cards based on trains.

Thanks :) tho I just realized they would work better as flip cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
The trains are super cool but I feel they may be too good.
Especially if you get two out you maximize thier effects, IE didn't get a plains on white? Mill three with black. Low CMC makes it even scarier.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

The Gorp posted:

The trains are super cool but I feel they may be too good.
Especially if you get two out you maximize thier effects, IE didn't get a plains on white? Mill three with black. Low CMC makes it even scarier.

Its definitely possible that they're OP.

In limited, it would take quite a while to get them into creature mode.

In constructed you could probably get them into creature mode by turn 4 (or maybe 3 if you're lucky and dedicated to it). They're very vulnerable to removal and if you're spending all your mana on trains then you won't have any board presence for the first several turns.

Maybe. :v:

e: If they were flip cards that transformed at the end of your turn, that would slow them down a little bit, and probably what I should do to them

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
In constructed there'd be GY hate though. Relic and the like throw a big wrench in the gears.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Alara gave us the originals, but khans was already too packed with big splashy rares to have room to finish the Ultimatum cycle. So I did it for them. Man it's tricky balancing the power level on 7 cost tricolor cards while still having them feel uniquely appropriate.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Torchlighter posted:

So Kamigawa had a cycle of spirits known as the Zuberas, which counted the number of Zubera's that died this turn. there's one cycle of them. They also created an opposite pair in Rushing-Tide Zubera and Burning-Eye Zubera.

If you're staying true to the Spirit tokens from Kamigawa block, they didn't fly.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Thanks for catching that. It's also formatted completely terribly, so I've fixed that.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Hardcordion posted:

Here's my attempt to fill out the -ling cycle. I'm pretty new at this so feedback is welcome.

I like the white one because First Strike evokes the old "damage on the stack" tricks you could do with the original.

The black one having both deathtouch and regenerate, however doesn't really lead to interesting game play because it's impossible to interact with in combat.

Yes, Thornling having Indestructible suffers the same way but at least it forces you to have enough mana to push through what it's in combat with and can be held off with a single 0/6. Graveling's combination of abilities is completely devastating because for three mana a turn you're either dealing 5 damage to your opponent or eating 2+ of their creatures.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Phone posting all week, so I probably can’t prettify these. There have been four Magus cycles, three complete ones in Time Spiral (Artifact originals), Planar Chaos (Land originals) and Future Sight (Enchantment originals) and the incomplete Sorcery cycle from supplementary products such as Commander. Magus of the Wheel, Magus of the Will and Magus of the Mind are the extant ones.

Magus of the Balance 1W

Creature - Human Wizard

3WW, T, Sacrifice Magus of the Balance: Each Player chooses a number of lands he or she controls equal to the number of lands controlled by the player who controls the fewest, then sacrifices the rest. Players discard cards and sacrifice creatures the same way
2/2

Magus of the Order 2GG

Creature - Human Wizard

2GG, T, Sacrifice Magus of the Order: Search your library for a green creature card and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.

3/4

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

This one's a pretty big no-no these days. Narrow 'except by' clauses like that that are only relevant a small percentage of the time just aren't done. See also: Protection from colors. Probably better to just make it 'can't be blocked', cause it's gonna be that 99% of the time.

Is this really true? I mean, we just had Walk the Plank very recently. I think it's fine if it's for flavor reasons. I imagine the intent in Deathcult Rogue was 'set a thief to catch a thief' or the like which comes across reasonably well.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Lack of Bear fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 2, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Myriad Truths posted:

Is this really true? I mean, we just had Walk the Plank very recently. I think it's fine if it's for flavor reasons. I imagine the intent in Deathcult Rogue was 'set a thief to catch a thief' or the like which comes across reasonably well.
Yeah, I forgot about 'tribes matter' sets.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being

I really wish this gave the creature Unearth with the cost being the mana cost. I can see how that might be too weak though.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Aabcehmu posted:

I really wish this gave the creature Unearth with the cost being the mana cost. I can see how that might be too weak though.
Could be Embalm or Eternalize.

Anyway, here's another card in the "number superstition" mega-cycle. This one is in white because it's associated with death in Chinese culture. Don't know enough about other cultures to know if they have spooky numerals.

Tetraphobia 3W
Sorcery
Destroy all creatures with converted mana cost 4. Each player with exactly 4 life loses the game.

(thanks to ChewyLSB and his mom for translating)

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Lone Goat posted:

Anyway, here's another card in the "number superstition" mega-cycle. This one is in white because it's associated with death in Chinese culture. Don't know enough about other cultures to know if they have spooky numerals.

Tetraphobia 3W
Sorcery
Destroy all creatures with converted mana cost 4. Each player with exactly 4 life loses the game.

That seems substantially better than Triskaidekaphobia

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

To really mirror the cycle it should cost 13. :smug:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Lone Goat posted:

Tetraphobia 3W
Sorcery

Just realised this is actually in the same cycle as Hidetsugu's Second Rite as well as Triskaidekaphobia !!!!!!!!

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Lone Goat posted:

Tetraphobia 3W
Sorcery

This is a good idea. I like how it mirrors the flashback one time use and how the cycle doesn't mind using non-evergreen mechanics.

I almost tried to do a Triskaidekaphobia cycle too!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Lone Goat posted:

Just realised this is actually in the same cycle as Hidetsugu's Second Rite as well as Triskaidekaphobia !!!!!!!!

This means the cycle is nearly complete: Spell Snare could be the blue one.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

AJ_Impy posted:

This means the cycle is nearly complete: Spell Snare could be the blue one.

Spell Snare doesn't kill people at a certain life total though.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Battle of Wits?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Not Alex posted:

Battle of Wits?

I think you're also missing the point of this exercise.

And Battle is already in a cycle with Test of Endurance, Epic Struggle, Chance Encounter and Mortal Combat anyway.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Lone Goat posted:

Spell Snare doesn't kill people at a certain life total though.

True.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

I think you're also missing the point of this exercise.

Willfully ignoring it, friend. But seriously, the only blue kill a life total spell I can think of is delusions of grandeur.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Lone Goat posted:

I like the white one because First Strike evokes the old "damage on the stack" tricks you could do with the original.

The black one having both deathtouch and regenerate, however doesn't really lead to interesting game play because it's impossible to interact with in combat.

Yes, Thornling having Indestructible suffers the same way but at least it forces you to have enough mana to push through what it's in combat with and can be held off with a single 0/6. Graveling's combination of abilities is completely devastating because for three mana a turn you're either dealing 5 damage to your opponent or eating 2+ of their creatures.

Yeah, I see what you mean. Forcing the opponent to take 5 damage or lose 2 creatures was intentional but I hadn't realized how cheap it was to pull off. I guess replacing regenerate with "B: return graveling from your graveyard to your hand" would help there but maybe I'd be better off going back to my original design, which was going to be called Bloodling and started with lifelink instead of deathtouch.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Mar 3, 2018

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

I like this guy alot!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Changed the trains to flip cards and did some template fixing. I think flip cards have an inherent clunkiness, but the flavor comes through more strongly this way. Its also more clear when they're a creature, and they only transform on your upkeep so they're a tad bit slower.

I borrowed the templating from this card for a couple of them, I think its accurate:
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=430766

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 3, 2018

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Changed the trains to flip cards and did some template fixing.

These are creative and flavorful. The R, B and G ones are fairly overpowered, while the U one could force you to kill one of your creatures with the mandatory +1/-1.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Gynovore posted:

These are creative and flavorful. The R, B and G ones are fairly overpowered, while the U one could force you to kill one of your creatures with the mandatory +1/-1.

Ah, whoops, the blue one was supposed to be voluntary. Fixed and thanks!

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

splash gawds.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Thanks for the submissions! They're closed. I'll pick a winner this morning.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Thanks for the submissions, everyone! I was really impressed with the entries, and picking a single winner was tough.

Honorable Mention:
Eevil’s one-drops – These were cool, but I wasn’t sold on giving Evolve to non-Simic colors. It’s a cool UG ability and outside of maybe red (and Oddgoblin was real solid), it just didn’t work for me.
Lack of Bear’s 2-drops – I also liked these, and I liked the color-specific keyword abilities for each card. I’d have probably gone with Unearth instead of Embalm for the black one, but this was solid.

Third place:
The Gorp’s Magus cycle.

I really liked these conceptually, but their power levels are all over the place. They also feel like they should be 2/2 or at the very least 2/1, since the mark you’re up against is Leatherback Baloth, Ball Lightning, Geralf’s Messenger, Devout Lightcaster, and uh, Shorecrasher Elemental, I guess. The red one’s probably too strong (needs to only hit creatures, I think), and the blue one is probably too weak. Still, I like what you did here.

Second Place:
Nebalebadingdong’s sweet train set. I really, really liked these, and I think making them transform was the right call. The only reason they didn’t win was because they’re really complex, and while normally that’s not a deal-breaker, the winning submission had simplicity going for it. The “repeat the following for each X in your graveyard” is a neat idea, but it’s a lot to tack on top of a transforming card that already has a lot going on. I also felt like you could have dropped the “Transforming back” clause.
And because it’s a pet peeve of mine, I have to point out that it should be “fewer” instead of “less” for all of these on the re-transform clauses.

First Place
Torchlighter’s 1drop hybrids:

This was real close between your entry and Nebalebadingdong’s, but in the end I liked the simplicity of these. I also appreciate the work that goes into making cards that have a fixed cost. They all feel pretty on-point power level-wise for a 1-drop hybrid, except for maybe the Orzhov one, where having Extort and Flying and an ability is probably too much, even for an uncommon.

Congrats, Torchlighter! I look forward to seeing what you propose as a contest. Also thanks again to everyone who submitted.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Spreadsheet updated for the last two contests.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Templating, my eternal nemesis!

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Alright, time for something a little different.
:siren:Fragile Beings and how to build them:siren:

(Art shamelessly stolen from Karl Kopinski, Alter by Brandon Long at the proxy factory)

Remember Master of Waves? That was a weird card. A cool card, but a weird card. And I kinda want to see more like it.

So, make a creature with 0 toughness in some way.

This could be Master of Waves style, or something like Unbreathing Horde. Really, just something that might fall apart if conditions are wrong.

I'll give you till 12:00AM EST Monday, 12 March.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Torchlighter posted:

So, make a creature with 0 toughness in some way.
Yesss! I've been wanting to do this contest honestly since I threw it in the OP. Glad someone else chose it, now I can throw in my ideas.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
My favorite card in MTG has always secretly been Germ Tokens. I have a binder full of the little shits.
It seems only fitting to do it in that style.

But what to ride?

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 6, 2018

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Mikl fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it