Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Phoneposting so no imgs.

Third: TheChirurgeon's The Divine Spark
I really like that effect but it feels a bit off-topic here. I don't see what the individual colour contribute, or what's really un-black about it. My guess is Wizard would make it 5-colour. Still cool.

Second: Lack of Bear's Oustanding Combattant
The earliest hybrid candidate is also the nicest by its simplicity. I can see it slotted in a deck of every one of the color combinations which is nice.

First: Eeevil's Disaster Magic and World Rift

Making a charm was a good take on the challenge, and the modes synergize in cool ways. It's a funny mini-puzzle to save and kill what you want.

World Rift is clean, it's coherent, and a good build-around/reward for a 4-color deck. I especially like how it's clear why blue was not invited.

Thank you for playing everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kuiperdolin posted:

I really like that effect but it feels a bit off-topic here. I don't see what the individual colour contribute, or what's really un-black about it. My guess is Wizard would make it 5-colour. Still cool.

Second: Lack of Bear's Oustanding Combattant
The earliest hybrid candidate is also the nicest by its simplicity. I can see it slotted in a deck of every one of the color combinations which is nice.

First: Eeevil's Disaster Magic and World Rift

Making a charm was a good take on the challenge, and the modes synergize in cool ways. It's a funny mini-puzzle to save and kill what you want.

World Rift is clean, it's coherent, and a good build-around/reward for a 4-color deck. I especially like how it's clear why blue was not invited.

Thank you for playing everyone!
Quoting with images for the OP link.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Kuiperdolin posted:

This is totally fair. I liked the idea enough when I had it that I wanted to use it, but it would probably be made 5-color. My rationale was that the act of creating or calling an ally was nonblack, but yeah it's not a strong reason for it to be four-color.

Also despite what the contest OP claimed, creating good four-color cards is absolutely very difficult, and too many of them ended up being "here's one thing from each color" type designs. My favorite ones were probably the cards that did a pair of overlapping abilities, and PMush's ministers, which I think ended up being pretty cool.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Hey, cool, I double-won. Here's the next challenge:

Make an Angel, Sphinx, Demon, Dragon, or Hydra

Make a creature card with at least one of the listed creature types.

You have until next Monday (the 20th) at 6:00 p.m. central time.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Neat, iconic color fatties.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I remain miffed that hydras get to be Green's iconic creature for no justifiable reason. But I'm actually kind of happy with these two designs.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Did somebody say cheeky enemy color nonsense? ...no? I could've sworn...

Well, here's some anyways.

Serra Angel, Master of Predicaments, Bloodgift Demon, Rakdos Pit Dragon, Managorger Hydra

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 20, 2018

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

That jolly demon is great!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

And how about a dragon that's actually in the right colors?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

PMush Perfect posted:

And how about a dragon that's actually in the right colors?

you spelled Sphinx wrong

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, that's one of those ones where it's hard to keep the color identity clean and also the subtype obvious. I actually have another idea I'll try tonight.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

lol

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

One last attempt at a UW dragon before I move on.

Archwing Dragon

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 15, 2018

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

comedy option:

Lack of Bear fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Aug 15, 2018

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Oh, poo poo, I didn't know this thread was back. I loved the one from a few years back, even if I was awful at it.

I like the idea of a hydra whose heads stick around after they're lopped off, and maybe even get eaten again by the hydra proper for a small boost of energy.

Pseudoscorpion fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 17, 2018

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Did you mean for this to affect itself and your own creatures?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Aug 19, 2018

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

A few more:

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

TheChirurgeon posted:

Did you mean for this to affect itself and your own creatures?

I thought it would be more interesting and less oppressive on a 4/4 flying body that way. This way you can also use it like reconnaissance to get attack triggers from weaker bodies.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

I think you have this backwards. The opponent can choose 0 and nothing will happen.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Gynovore posted:

I think you have this backwards. The opponent can choose 0 and nothing will happen.

Oh, whoops. The logic isn't backwards - if it was inverted, you'd get situations where you, say, scry 5 or something, and I wanted either one to be approximately equal in value - but I didn't consider the 0 case. Let's change it - twiddling is probably a little less value on average, but it seems useful enough:

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Do you have the source image for this card? I want it for a game i'm running.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

https://www.deviantart.com/su-pra/art/Overlord-693474487

featuring even more gross skeletons falling out of a ribcage

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Kinda surprised you didn't make a demon that poops skeletons

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

I had the design and couldn't find good art for it. I did consider the skeleton angle, but I like the burning devil tokens.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Edit:

Because puns.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 20, 2018

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

One more - workposting again so no mockup.

Ethergorger Hydra 3GGW
Creature - Hydra
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, exile any number of target artifacts or enchantments an opponent controls until CARDNAME leaves the battlefield.
CARDNAME's power and toughness are equal to the number of cards exiled with it.
X/X

Pseudoscorpion fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 20, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That seems really overcosted, I'd make it permanent exile and just straight up any number of target artifacts/enchantments, so you can pump it yourself too. Turn it into a buildaround instead of an overpriced sideboard card.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Honorable Mention: AJ_Impy's Redeemon

3rd: Lack of Bear's Hognose Hydra

I like the mechanical idea of scavenge(and to a lesser extent trample) on a creature with star power, but I'm not sure that it's a great fit for a hydra, where the p/t is generally flavored as the number of heads. That's not an unbreakable rule or anything, I just feel like this would probably end up as a different creature type if wizards made it.

2nd: PMush Perfect's Master of Perils

I had this at 1st until I noticed it doesn't have flying. Good sphinx ability that fits in the chosen colors(although it would probably fit just as well in UG) and does something exciting enough to distinguish itself from the card it's riffing off of.

1st: TheChirurgeon's Knowledge Hoarder

Good, solid demon design here, does good things at either cost, and I had to check Gatherer to see if bargain was an existing mechanic. Rummage 3 is a pretty big upside on a three mana 4/4 flier but hopefully that's balanced out by needing to have four or more cards in hand, and if not i'm sure development can tweek it to make sense.

Congratulations TheChirurgeon, good luck running the next round.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Eeevil posted:

I had this at 1st until I noticed it doesn't have flying.
:negative:

drat me and my slavish devotion to color identity over flavor!

Nah yeah that's a fair critique.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Cool. Knowledge Hoarder was an unsubmitted design from the “Design a tribal mechanic” contest. I’m kind of glad I didn’t waste it there now.

Ok, time for a fresh start. This week’s contest is...

:siren:Duals of the Planeswalkers:siren:

Since the dawn of man, er, since 1993, dual lands (lands that tap for two colors of mana) have been among the most sought-after cards in the game. So much so that they pretty much have to be included in every set in order to move packs.

Your challenge this round is to design a rare dual land. Make it a cycle if you want, but it should either produce exactly two colors of mana (it can also produce colorless), or give you the ability to otherwise make/retrieve lands to get two possible colors of mana (so your take on fetchlands is fine). The point is, no tri-, quad-, or any-color lands, though letting someone pick two colors is fine.

Your land should be modern/standard-printable, i.e. not strictly better than a basic land, but otherwise go nuts with the design.

Contest ends at 9:00pm EDT on Sunday, August 26th.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Obligatory re-entry.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

The Den cycle takes place in Return to Return to Return to Ravnica, when the guilds have, for Plot Reasons, have all started exhibiting cult-like behavior. The Den cycle rewards players for playing their colors by making it easier to cast that guild's multicolor cards. This cycle was widely regarded as too narrow to be useful, and have been relegated to bulk fodder.

Theros 2: The Sequel To Theros added the Gateway cycle, a cycle of enemy-color lands with basic land types that enter the battlefield untapped. The rider seems harmless at first, but it shut off utility lands tapping for colorless mana, and combined with a long-awaited reprint of Spectral Searchlight, as well as several other cards with the 'downside' of giving your opponents mana, the cycle saw limited play in Standard, with better reception in aggressive decks in Modern.

With Zendikar 3: The Search for More Money came a new cycle of lands - Hedrons, better known now as 'burstlands'. They saw middling reception, but a niche Modern combo deck that uses Scapeshift to grab many Hedrons, which all die simultaneously to generate a ton of mana that's dumped into a lethal Banefire or Torment of Hailfire has kept the price around the $5 mark. Despite this, however, the Banescape Torment deck remains solidly tier 2.5.

This is stretching the definition for what's allowed so you're not getting any fun flavor for this one :colbert:

Pseudoscorpion fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 21, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I kinda had a similar idea to this one, yours do it better.

Lazy textdump of an idea
Burgeoning Badlands
Land - Mountain Swamp
Rare
~ enters the battlefield tapped.
Other Mountains you control are Swamps.
Other Swamps you control are Mountains.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Original:

Updated:

The new one is a bit of a different direction, but:
1. It actually works.
2. It's a dual land that actually encourages a three color deck, which I think is an interesting idea.

Note: It's intentional that having a lot of Forests Aflame will deal a lot of damage to you if you run out of forests to feed it. The blue is there to signal that this is dangerous in a RG deck, but safer in a URG deck.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 23, 2018