Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Not exactly 100% related to the challenge, but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

AJ_Impy posted:

Savant Conclusion should be 'any number of target nonland permanents'.

Not what I had in mind but you're right that the phrasing was wrong, thanks.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Problem: Most of the super old super iconic creatures aren't worth playing anymore.

Solution: Let's make cards that depend on them specifically, to give you a reason to use them again.

Problem: It would suck if you drew the super iconic creature or its support card separately.

Solution: We go full Yugioh.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Solution: We go full Yugioh.
That is a beautiful idea. But...

quote:

Dies to Doom Blade.

quote:

Dies to Go for the Throat.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

PMush Perfect posted:

That is a beautiful idea. But...

Dies to Doom Blade.

Dies to Go for the Throat.

That, too, is full Yugioh.

I mean, they just die to removal because:

1) They're too big to viably kill in combat, and their token abilities will take over the game if they live, so removal is how you avoid just plain losing to them.

2) They cost 0 mana to play, they don't use up a card in your hand, they don't make you sacrifice the three creatures needed to channel them, they live in the sideboard so they don't run the risk of sitting dead in your hand... I think even if they eat removal they haven't really set you back super far.

Like, Banelsayer Angel obsoletes Serra Angel, and it too dies to removal. That's kind of the space I want these to live in.

xelada
Dec 21, 2012

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Ah, I loved those cards!

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Five hours left to get any last submissions in!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ah, silver bullets. How very Decipher.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
HONORABLE MENTION:
Like you said, it doesn't fit the theme but I love the idea, both in terms of mechanics and flavor.

THIRD PLACE:
I was always more of a pokékid, but I dig the branching "digivolution" tree and I'd love to see more cards in this vein. If I get another chance to judge, I think I'll make the theme something along these lines.

SECOND PLACE
Never before has a turn one drop elicited such an "oh fuuuuck" response from the opponent. When one of these hits the battlefield you know what's eventually coming but are nearly powerless to stop it, which I think is brilliant for an eldritch horror.

FIRST PLACE:

I love the bluffing aspect to these cards. Do I have a Godfather's Punishment in my hand or are you safe refusing to sack? That's the sort of fuckery I'd be tempted to throw into just about any deck I make.

Excellent cards everyone and congrats to our winner Kuiperdolin!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Spreadsheet updated. Kuiperdolin's 4th gold, with no silver. Lack of Bear's 8th silver, one off the record total, and Pmush's 33rd honourable mention.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

AJ_Impy posted:

Pmush's 33rd honourable mention.
honor.gif, etc. etc.

I like to think it means I'm a solid but unspectacular designer, the kind who fills out the spaces between the high points of ideas.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
That's a worthwhile design skill, Pmush. "Draft Chaff / Role Fillers" is on my shortlist for challenge prompts.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Alright, our next event is :

X marks the spot

Give me something with X generic mana as a cost (not necessarily a casting cost). Make it cool, original, fun, and cool.

Contest ends in 1 week, the 27/11/2018 at 23:59.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Open-ended contest? Time for my obligatory shotgun blast of old cards I really liked but that never got much love.

Also this, because I will take every excuse I can get to post this one again.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

I always liked Astral Cornucopia's casting cost and potential for shenanigans. This should be about the right power level.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

I always liked Endless Scream.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Edit: I made a custom set symbol too :)

Hardcordion fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Nov 21, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I was going to do this with energy at first, and then I realized that would just be an even better version of Aether Hub.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What happens at X = 0? Does the spell fizzle because it doesn't have a legal target, or does it resolve targeting 0 creatures? What does targeting 0 creatures even mean? Can you target something that isn't there? :psyboom:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

PMush Perfect posted:

What happens at X = 0? Does the spell fizzle because it doesn't have a legal target, or does it resolve targeting 0 creatures? What does targeting 0 creatures even mean? Can you target something that isn't there? :psyboom:

Spell resolves, does nothing, like a fireball for R.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

At first I thought of a damage spell that you can buyback by doubling X, but then I basically just reinvented Fanning the Flames.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

e. added colour for the tokens.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Nov 22, 2018

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Mikl posted:

e. added colour for the tokens.

drat that's some good art. You should put that on an old style card frame with old style templating

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

drat that's some good art. You should put that on an old style card frame with old style templating

This is actually a really good and fun idea!

Mikl fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 22, 2018

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

At first I thought of a damage spell that you can buyback by doubling X, but then I basically just reinvented Fanning the Flames.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh, right. There are few cards in Commander I hate more than that one. Well, I guess this is retroactively me trying to rebalance it.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I'm sure this is templated terribly, but here's my humble submission:

Thought about adding "Haunt" but I'm not sure how that would work with an X cost spell.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 24, 2018

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Thought about adding "Haunt" but I'm not sure how that would work with an X cost spell.

It wouldn't, since Haunt would recast it with X=0

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I'm sure this is templated terribly, but here's my humble submission:

That "technically fair but actually devastating" choice is absolutely 100% Orzhov, though. That's a nice touch.

Edit: Had a new idea.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 24, 2018

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

PMush Perfect posted:

That "technically fair but actually devastating" choice is absolutely 100% Orzhov, though. That's a nice touch.

Edit: Had a new idea.

This needs to cost UURX but otherwise is really cool!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

This needs to cost UURX but otherwise is really cool!
I'm open to the idea, but why? Is it because RU for "counter an instant or sorcery spell for 2" is too good when attached to something modal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm open to the idea, but why? Is it because RU for "counter an instant or sorcery spell for 2" is too good when attached to something modal?

It's partly my mistake; I read it as "counter target spell" and not "target instant or sorcery," which would have given you a straight-up counterspell effect at UR when X=0. Even as-is though, I think it needs to cost 1 more mana so you won't be as strongly incentivized to take it over Negate, but that one can maybe go either way.