Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'll admit, XUUR feels right for how Wizards would print it, but that would also leave it as funny Johnny bullshit. "4 and discard a card" for "counter and copy an instant or sorcery" feels kinda ugly considering how situational it actually is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Combining two things I've been trying to make work: X costs that are only relevant on ETB, and X costs where more isn't always better.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 26, 2018

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

That's a really solid vertical cycle!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lack of Bear posted:

That's a really solid vertical cycle!
Thanks! Fixing/recursion/tutor felt like a good spread for a vertical cycle, and I kind of had to do it once I saw the artist had all three of them as a set.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Obligatory resubmissions:

And for actual cards:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hm, XXX you say?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 27, 2018

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

PMush Perfect posted:

Hm, XXX you say?

This can steal most tokens for 0.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Gynovore posted:

This can steal most tokens for 0.
You caught me right before my "X can't be 0." edit after I noticed exactly that.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

if we're reposting submissions,

I might actually try to put a real submission together(probably not)

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

That's pretty much a better Blatant Thievery, which is one permanent each for 7 mana. Ah, 'They choose'. Okay.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

OK let's judge this :

Honorable
Rap Record Hoarder's Ecliptic Ritual

It should probably say nonland permanents or it's really broken but I like what it does otherwise. As PMush said, a fine false equivalency in card form.

Third
Mikl's Dividing Strike:

Cool story and it has flavor but in practice it would be very easy to fizzle. Maybe make it "X or less" so you can overshoot.

Second
AJ_Impy's Refracted Reflection:

Stealing my opponent's ETB for U? Don't mind if I do. I suspect it's a bit undercosted but it's not a development challenge so OK.

First
Lack of Bear's Sanctionned passage:

I can dig this kind of minigame.

Good job everyone and congratulations Lack of Bear.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

X spells are fun but they always feel hard to balance.

Up next:

Card Advantage Engines

Make a permanent card with an ability that lets you draw extra cards conditionally, play cards off the top of your deck, or dig for cards.

The condition should be more complicated than just paying to draw whenever or looting.

The ability should be repeatable.

Contest will end at 5PM PST on 12/5/18

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

drat, LoB, you are on a roll.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 29, 2018

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

This is a variant of a card I made for the doggo contest a while back

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Hot Take
2RRR
Sorcery
Choose target opponent. Count the number of cards that player owns in their hand, graveyard, exile, and on the battlefield. Repeat this process for yourself. If you have less, exile cards from the top of your library equal to the difference. You may cast those cards without paying their mana cost until end of turn.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Surely that would be white, as it's making everything fair for everyone?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

also it'll make them draw a second card when you draw a card?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Capfalcon posted:

Surely that would be white, as it's making everything fair for everyone?

You're right, minor brainfart here. I thought "well blue alters how the game normally works, so..." without considering what other colours it might fit into.

Lone Goat posted:

also it'll make them draw a second card when you draw a card?

Intended effect is: whenever there's an effect that makes a player draw a card (besides the normal single card drawn in the draw step), everyone gets to draw a card. Probably the wording as I put it is unclear or has unintended side effects? What would you suggest?

e. Or maybe the problem is that it goes recursive on itself?

Mikl fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 30, 2018

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Mikl posted:

You're right, minor brainfart here. I thought "well blue alters how the game normally works, so..." without considering what other colours it might fit into.

Intended effect is: whenever there's an effect that makes a player draw a card (besides the normal single card drawn in the draw step), everyone gets to draw a card. Probably the wording as I put it is unclear or has unintended side effects? What would you suggest?

e. Or maybe the problem is that it goes recursive on itself?

Yeah, if a player would draw two extra cards (Brainstorm, etc.) then everyone's trapped in a loop that makes every other player draw cards, but also prevents everyone from drawing cards by forcing other people to draw cards and the game ends in a draw. Also, since it's a replacement effect, it prevents the original card from being drawn. Which might be intentional?

I was thinking of something a bit similar, but from the other way:

Psychic Parasite
Enchantment
1BU
When Psychic parasite comes into play, choose an opponent.
Whenever that player would draw a card, you draw a card.
Skip your draw phase.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Capfalcon posted:

Yeah, if a player would draw two extra cards (Brainstorm, etc.) then everyone's trapped in a loop that makes every other player draw cards, but also prevents everyone from drawing cards by forcing other people to draw cards and the game ends in a draw. Also, since it's a replacement effect, it prevents the original card from being drawn. Which might be intentional?

The last part is intentional, yes, but the player that would have drawn the original card still gets it because they're included in the effect. Regarding the recursion... How's this? This should fix it.

Unless of course there's two similar effects on the field and they bounce off each other and everyone gets decked, but I don't think it's possible to account for that.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm pretty sure it was fine as it was:

quote:

614.5. A replacement effect doesn’t invoke itself repeatedly; it gets only one opportunity to affect an event or any modified events that may replace it.
Example: A player controls two permanents, each with an ability that reads “If a creature you control would deal damage to a permanent or player, it deals double that damage to that permanent or player instead.” A creature that normally deals 2 damage will deal 8 damage—not just 4, and not an infinite amount.
Otherwise a card like Chains of Mephistopheles would go infinite on itself.

e: I also prefer the original "first card" wording, it seems bad to have a loophole that lets people cast all their instant speed draw during their drawphase to avoid this effect.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'm pretty sure it was fine as it was:
Otherwise a card like Chains of Mephistopheles would go infinite on itself.

e: I also prefer the original "first card" wording, it seems bad to have a loophole that lets people cast all their instant speed draw during their drawphase to avoid this effect.

Welp, I stand corrected! In that case, I agree with the first being clearer.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Well thanks folks! :) I really like when this thread gets brainstorming on a card. (Lack of Bear, you can consider the white card with the original wording my submission.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Also, that Rights/Rites pun is :perfect:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Also, that Rights/Rites pun is :perfect:

Alas, I cannot take credit for the pun, only for using it in this instance. I took it from the title of a book :ssh:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

It's the word "Whenever" that threw me off because that makes it a triggered ability, but if it's a replacement effect the cards still works as written except you need to say "If a player (etc)" and it follows the rule where a replacement effect can't happen twice on the same thing.

Capfalcon posted:

Psychic Parasite
Enchantment
1BU
Skip your draw phase.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Capfalcon posted:

Psychic Parasite
Enchantment
1BU
Skip your draw phase.

Card already exists, Psychic Possession was one of the first cards to enchant a player explicitly, or to be exact an opponent.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Obviously, this means I should be in R&D.

...Also, back to the drawing board. :v:

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Hardcordion fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 30, 2018

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Savage Ingenuity
Enchantment
2GG
Whenever a creature your opponent controls dies, if a creature you control dealt damage to it this turn, draw a card.

I thought about restricting it to combat damage, but I really like fighting and think it should count too.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
To the victor, the spoils. Two sides of the same coin, depending if you're the aggressor or defender.

Edit: Spreadsheet updated. Lack of Bear is second to Lottery of Babylon, I claim my tenth silver medal.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 1, 2018

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.