Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

lol @ "Savior creature token named Christ the Lord"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Cool, a contest for all the neat designs that never quite found a home in any contest!

A Totem Armor series:

A Cumulative Upkeep series:

And this standalone:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
This templating doesn't work for the last ability, you can't choose X while paying costs and then have X be determined another way during resolution. You could just use a Fight template and have it say "0: Target creature deals damage equal to its power to Hulk. Destroy that creature."

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Flavorfully this should probably be an enchantment but mechanically I found this idea interesting.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
These were originally made for another challenge, but by the time I had finished them the challenge was over.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Here's how you get a lord for the Morphling/Torchling/Thornling/Brightling/Aetherling cycle.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

A remade version of a great idea I had that I didn't quite execute well enough.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

PMush Perfect posted:

A remade version of a great idea I had that I didn't quite execute well enough.

This is a neat idea, but it seems really weak. Also your spawn tokens don't sac for mana unless you add that rider to the creation text.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Entries are closed. Judgement will be passed

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

This is a neat idea, but it seems really weak. Also your spawn tokens don't sac for mana unless you add that rider to the creation text.
I guess they're not supposed to get that, otherwise the plus would be better than the minus. They shouldn't be called Spawn in that case though.

I think the power level is actually OK for a 1 mana card, but it's weird to associate Emrakul with a low impact planeswalker.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I guess they're not supposed to get that, otherwise the plus would be better than the minus. They shouldn't be called Spawn in that case though.

I think the power level is actually OK for a 1 mana card, but it's weird to associate Emrakul with a low impact planeswalker.

The cost isn't just 1 mana though, it's 1 mana + tapping a creature + exiling a creature at the start of an upkeep, which is quite a hurdle. That said, even with what you're saying, it kind of veers into Tibalt territory where I agree that a 2-mana planeswalker shouldn't be too strong, but the end result is a card that I end up just never wanting to play. That said, I really like the first half, and the concept of putting loyalty counters on the card before you transform it. I just think the planeswalker half's payoff is too little.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Honor

This cycle is too weak and rule heavy generally, but this particular version could have some niche use. I would drop the search/shuffle part from the card and just let you put one from your hand out tapped. Maybe reflavor it to not be a cycle and let it stand on its own as some kind graveyard loving land.

Third

I remember this card the first time. I love its utter flexibility even if its on the weak side. I know Improvise and Fabricate are keywords but they aren't evergreen so there's ALOT of complexity going on here. I feel like the U identity is too weak but I understand you want it for commander. This card is not perfect but I like it alot.

Second

I always kinda hated uncommon planeswalker designs because they're usually just "what if planeswalker BUT WEAK?" but this one works for because its an enchantment that a player could kill in combat if they needed to. In the far flung future I think WotC will explore uncommon planeswalkers and this is what they might look like.

FIRST

I'm actually having a hard time evaluating how strong this card is. Its obviously fun and would be bananas to sling around in EDH but I really can't tell for other formats. The unfortunate kink in the design is that its forced to reference the stack in its text, so I don't think you'd ever see something like this printed outside of an EDH set, but hell, who wouldn't want to ramp into casting this with a giant X value?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hooray, not just HM this time! :toot:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Nebalebadingdong posted:

FIRST

I'm actually having a hard time evaluating how strong this card is. Its obviously fun and would be bananas to sling around in EDH but I really can't tell for other formats. The unfortunate kink in the design is that its forced to reference the stack in its text, so I don't think you'd ever see something like this printed outside of an EDH set, but hell, who wouldn't want to ramp into casting this with a giant X value?

Ah, cool--thanks for the nod! I went back and forth on the power of this and whether it should have been XX, but that made it even weirder. I figured it'd be a hilariously bonkers spell to cast either way, though.

I'll post a new contest either later this evening or tomorrow morning.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Spreadsheet updated.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

TheChirurgeon posted:

Ah, cool--thanks for the nod! I went back and forth on the power of this and whether it should have been XX, but that made it even weirder. I figured it'd be a hilariously bonkers spell to cast either way, though.

I'll post a new contest either later this evening or tomorrow morning.

It SEEMS weak if X is 0 or 1 but only because it has a decent chance of doing nothing at all when cascading at CMC 3 or 4

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Ok, thanks for your patience, everyone! This week's contest is :siren:Legendary Rehab:siren:

I'm an old-school player, and one of the most interesting sets to me has always been Legends. At 310 cards, the set was large enough to be Magic's first stand-alone expansion, but isn't considered one since it contained no basic lands. It's kind of set up like one, though, with several cards similar to the staples in Alpha/Beta/Unlimited and a few clear themes. It also introduced multicolored cards for the first time, which were an obvious slam dunk and clear fan-favorite despite like, half of them just being bigass overcosted vanilla creatures.

One of the things to note about the set is that it is wildly uneven--it's got some of the best cards ever printed:

And some of the worst:

Your mission is to Redesign or rehabilitate a card from the Legends Expansion. You need to keep the same card name and color, but feel free to change the casting cost, effects, and art. You also don't have to keep the old template, and I'd prefer if you used modern rules templating for simplicity's sake. I'll primarily be looking at how well your designs work with the original expansion's overall themes and how well it improves on the original card, either to tone down overpowered cards or improve lovely ones. You should also adhere to the mechanical technologies available at the time -- so no borrowing future keywords (but doing legendary artifacts/enchantments is fine, even though they weren't in the original set).

For reference, here's what was going on in Legends:
code:
Legends introduced:
Legends — Unique, one of a kind permanents which represent important figures, objects, and locations. Only one legend with a given name could exist on the battlefield at any time. Later replaced by the supertype Legendary.
Legendary lands — The first set of unique lands to see print.
Multicolored cards — Cards which required more than one color to play.

The mechanics:
Bands with other — A variant on the banding mechanic.
Poison counters — A player with 10 or more poison counters loses the game.
Rampage — Creatures with rampage get bigger when blocked by two or more creatures.
World enchantments — Enchantments which change the playing environment for all players.
Head's up: Don't do cards with Banding unless you're real confident you can do something cool with it. I know how its rules work, but the mechanic itself is just trash.

Good luck! Contest ends at midnight EST on Sunday, January 6th

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Let's rehabilitate the worst cycle of lands ever printed.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I didn't want to fix him too much.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The Human Crouton posted:

I didn't want to fix him too much.

Similar idea, much smaller mana cost. Dredge says hi.

And a similar idea that takes a few more liberties. Also still Dredge says hi.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Legends has lots of multicolor creatures, and no lands to help with mana fixing.

Thus:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

World Enchantment? Check.
Weird "what's a color pie" effect? Check.
Hard to cost because it's niche in its own set but completely bustable in modern Magic formats? Check.
Real world flavor text so long that it dwarfs the rules text? Super check.

Edit: Forgot artist credit.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 2, 2019

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

This one's a bit more edgy from a color pie perspective, but I think it all comes together well.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Banding may be bad but I like the flavor.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Submissions end tonight at midnight, so you've basically got a day left to submit all your sweet Wood Elemental redesigns

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Mikl fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 6, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Sorry for the janky token, I couldn't get the name and text to fit in the box provided on the default token maker.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
3.5 hours left!

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

e:

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 7, 2019

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Contest ends in about 20 minutes, but I'll do the judging tomorrow morning at some point later on. If you get an entry in before 9am EST, it'll still get considered.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
CONTEST OVER

Thanks for all the great entries!

Honorable Mention
Sivitri Scarzam by Rap Record Hoarder

I really liked that you fixed the problem of Sivitri Scarzam's card mentioning the dragon, but the dragon not being in the set.

Adventurer's Guildhouse by Capfalcon

I really like that you found a good way to address a major problem with the set (mana fixing).

Third Place
Legendary Land Cycle by AJ Impy

I appreciate that you put in work rehabilitating what I will agree is the worst cycle of lands ever printed. The Mountain Stronghold in particular is my favorite of these, since it makes Rampage useful by combining it with Menace, a trick I wish I'd seen on more card attempts. These didn't win because they felt a little too complex for uncommon lands.

Second Place
Deadfall by Eeevil

I liked the utility of this card. It still feels Green, and the only reason it didn't win was because I liked another card that pulled off the same trick more.

First Place
Shelkin Brownie by Kuiperdolin

I really liked this redesign. Not only does it accomplish the same intent of the original card only broader and in an actually useful way, its power level and simplicity feels right for a common and it feels like a card that could have been reprinted continually in follow-up sets, though likely color-shifted to Blue or White (though that also adds to the card's "Legends/early Magic" feel). Well done!

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Thanks.

Yay me ! Nothing inspires me like art of weird short fatsos in the woods showing their crotch at people to keep them from working with their friends.

Speaking of, the new theme is :

Fine Art

Every GDC at Wizards has had one. The aim of the game is to use ill-fitting art to design cards to specifications. It's not a GDC so here the specifications will be laxer. You must make three cards, using three different pieces of art out of the following seven from [strike]Google[/strike] my personal and exquisite collection. In addition :
[*] one must be a creature or planeswalker
[*] one must be an artifact or enchantment
[*] one must be an instant or sorcery
[*] the three cards must be a reasonable fit for the art selected (you can crop)
[*] the three cards should be part of the same set, so there should be a flavour and/or mechanical link between them that ideally hints at the broader themes.

Contest ends 14/01/2019 at 23:59 CET.

Below are the seven pieces, with the artist below each one for attribution if you care.

(Giuseppe Arcimboldo)

(Diego Velázquez)

(Anne Vallayer-Coster)

(Théodore Géricault)

(Gustave Caillebotte)

(M.C. Escher)

(Sid Blair)

(and yes, I picked different art styles on purpose)

Have fun!

Kuiperdolin fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 8, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh, this is gonna be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it