Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
You asked us to make a card with a lobster in the art so I did what needed to be done.

Edit: messed with Reverent Kneel a bit

Hardcordion fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 8, 2019

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Took me forever to figure out something for Sid Blair (because there was no way I was going to avoid using the hero Magic both needs and deserves), but I think this is a good fit.

Edit: Aiming for a darker spin for an artifact focused set, where inspiration is very often synonymous with obsession and insanity.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 8, 2019

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

An age of sail set with a different feel to Ixalan.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

OK good job everyone.

Third:
You did have the best Sid Blair and a theme that makes sense. I wish you'd gone a bit weirder and the art is a bit of a stretch.

Second:
Lifegain matters as a theme is intriguing. Your cards did make me want to see more. The art fits.

First :

Your cards fit together and the art very well. I found the raft very interesting, a very different gameplay from the vehicles so far, with lots of possibilities.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Spreadsheet updated. Fun contest, that.

It's alive!

Just about every permanent type (and one nonpermanent) have cards that turn into creatures. Vehicles all do, and even equipment in the form of Ensouled Scimitar and Haunted Plate Mail get in on the act. So, your challenge, between now and 23:59 PM on Wednesday, 23rd January, is to make a noncreature that turns into a creature in a new and interesting way.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
sweet concept. Here's my kneejerk reaction entry, to be followed by 1-3 others at a later date:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This is a kickass concept, and I feel like every idea I have is just a copy of something someone else in the thread has already done.

Edit:

Mythic not for power level but for rules complexity and "build around me" factor.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 16, 2019

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Hopefully the concept is clear: the artifact draws magical destructive energy floating through the air, and uses it to power the thunder god of destruction.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 16, 2019

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I'll do a mockup of this later, though I'm reasonably confident this card exists already and I'm botching the cost and templating.

Spell Feralization 1UUG
Instant
Counter target spell, if you do, create an 0/0 blue and green illusion creature token that enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 where X is the countered spell's converted mana cost.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

It's a lot like Draining Whelk conceptually

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

I was going to call this the Living Stack, but that's a better name for an Animate Library sort of effect. :rimshot:

e: Fixed the lack of flash and altered it slightly.

Tulul fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 24, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tulul posted:

I was going to call this the Living Stack, but that's a better name for an Animate Library sort of effect. :rimshot:
That's so weird and cool I feel like it almost has to be silver-border.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Tulul posted:

Three things:
I'm presuming this is supposed to have flash in order to be able to interact with spells being resolved. And the tap ability should probably say "You may cast the top spell exiled by ~..." or cast it for free. Just templating, the intention is basically clear in both cases.

Outside of Commander, this is extremely unlikely to ever see more than two spells on the stack. That's fine if that's the environment you have in mind, but at 7 mana you're going to be holding this for a long time before you get yourself a 2/2 flyer.

Importantly, how does this handle copied spells from the stack that aren't represented by physical cards? (Aside: do copies of spells even have casting costs?) Does it care about abilities, or should it?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

PMush Perfect posted:

Mythic not for power level but for rules complexity and "build around me" factor.

Have you considered Manifest rather than Morph?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That would probably be cleaner, yeah. I forgot Manifest was a thing.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I've also reworked Thunderheart a bit, so I'll just repost it here (along with its unchanged artifact form):

Mikl fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 18, 2019

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Mikl posted:

I've also reworked Thunderheart a bit, so I'll just repost it here (along with its unchanged artifact form):

Thunderheart is neat! The change it needs is that you should at a time to "check" for the number of counters to transform, i.e. after counters have been added or removed ("then, if ~ has 10 or more charge counters on it, transform it), or during a phase ("at the beginning of your upkeep, if ~ has 6 or fewer charge counters on it, transform it"). This keeps it from being something players have to monitor all the time, and in the case of creature Thunderheart, helps better figure out what happens if you use all the counters. Really, that's the big rules problem the card has--if I spend all the charge counters on Thunderheart, does it transform back, or does it go to the graveyard as a state-based effect since it is a 0/0 creature?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

That's a good suggestion, thanks! :)

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh, that's a very clever way to do a cycling bear.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

There are probably issues with this I haven't considered but the idea is that you turn your opponent into a creature either to make them an easier target for your damage spells or to force them to bash against your blockers.

Hardcordion fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 22, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Best way I could come up with to do an epic It's Alive spell. (The keyword, not the overused adjective)

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I'm presuming this is supposed to have flash in order to be able to interact with spells being resolved. And the tap ability should probably say "You may cast the top spell exiled by ~..." or cast it for free. Just templating, the intention is basically clear in both cases.

Oops. Fixed that, thanks.

quote:

Outside of Commander, this is extremely unlikely to ever see more than two spells on the stack. That's fine if that's the environment you have in mind, but at 7 mana you're going to be holding this for a long time before you get yourself a 2/2 flyer.

Yeah, I was pretty uncertain on the cost. For comparison, a counterspell stapled to a bear is 4. The creature this most resembles is Spell Queller, which is very good at 3, but with much more significant restrictions than this. Summary Dismissal, which costs 4, is the only "exile all spells" cards in Magic. So 6-7 seemed about right and I erred on the high side. I think I'll drop it one and add another mana symbol to the cost.

quote:

Importantly, how does this handle copied spells from the stack that aren't represented by physical cards? (Aside: do copies of spells even have casting costs?) Does it care about abilities, or should it?

Copied spells disappear when you exile them, similar to tokens (and they do have the original's CMC). Not getting abilities or copies is definitely a hole in the concept, but I don't think there's a way to template that that doesn't make it look like an 8 pt font Alpha-era card and a complete nightmare to play.

Tulul fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 24, 2019

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Contest is closed. Results in a few hours.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
So uh, who won?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Unexpected delays won, but after a recount so did the following:

Honourable mention:

Very nice, has me thinking of a variety of ways to break it.

Third:

Very powerful. Triggers itself but can be tapped in response to get around summoning sickness, hard to deal with but not too far off Gatebreaker Ram or Blanchwood Armor in dedicated decks.

Second:

This is beautiful, especially in Commander or team multiplayer. I can just imagine running this in a Brago deck.

First:

This is delicious, the perfect mix of Annex and Living Terrain. A canny opponent will tap their land in response, but you can still cast it on your own to exploit haste. Congratulations, Eeevil!

Spreadsheet updated.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Guild Mechanics

Make a card that uses one of the mechanics that has been associated with one of Ravnica's guilds across the three sets featuring the plane. Your choices: https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Template:Ravnica_mechanics

You have until 6:00 p.m. CST, February 2nd.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

image source

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I don't have any ideas, but does the card need to be flavorfully/colorfully associated with the correct guild or could I make a monogreen hellbent card or something?

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Elyv posted:

I don't have any ideas, but does the card need to be flavorfully/colorfully associated with the correct guild or could I make a monogreen hellbent card or something?

I hadn't thought about it, but I'll say anythings fine as long as you use one of the mechanics.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
When you say "uses" the keyword, must it poses it? Are things that refer to them and interact with them admissable?

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

When you say "uses" the keyword, must it poses it? Are things that refer to them and interact with them admissable?

I'll allow cards that give other cards a keyword, but not cards that just reference one. For example, I'd allow Domri, Chaos Bringer, but not Disinformation Campaign.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Some works in progress that I'll hopefully have time to brush up (and finish the cycles)

Edit: And something somewhat related, but only directly linked with one guild.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jan 28, 2019

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it