Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

FogHelmut posted:

This stuff any good? $59 is a great price apparently.

I thought all those "emergency meals" companies were outed as mostly scams, like the shelf life isn't even remotely accurate its just feeding into people who make paranoia purchases about the collapse of society.

re: Costco vs. Sam's, there's enough unique items from each place that I buy on a regular basis that trying to find/buy alternatives would end up costing more the the membership given the quantity I buy.

Sams: MM Instant Coffee, some harvarti/gouda cheese packs, frozen Jamacian beef patties, frozen cheeseburgers, MM beef/chicken/italian sausages packs (1 1/2 lbs), 1 L pump containers of fancy OGX shampoo conditioner, fresh tuna steaks

Costco: frozen dumpling trays, frozen Korean dumpling bags, mini cookies from bakery, stroopwaffels, asian sweets/snacks, danishes, kirkland sliced roast beef, bitchin sauce, Nissain Raoh ramen,

Really depends on my mood since both are ~10 mins from my house and I usually always get strawberries, bananas, peeled garlic bags,
Orowheat double fiber bread, and steaks regardless of where I go as those are essentially identical. At one point both stores had a 36 pack of fancy macaroons as a limited offer and the ones from Sam's Club were 10x better. Case of canned goods also depend on the store. Sam's had the fancy Thai Kitchen coconut milk 6 pack for the price of buying ~2 in the regular grocery store vs the monkey slavery brand from Costco.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Not sure about specific companies but freeze dried food can last up to 30+ years. I know Mountain House lasts forever.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

FogHelmut posted:

I can tell you in 25 years

edit: if you're insane enough to buy this, definitely get some local honey and bury it in your back yard

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Also beans! Protect the canned beans. Bury them, keep them safe!

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

binge crotching posted:

Costco is paying out an extra $10 dividend on the 11th of December. I wish I had more than a couple of shares, because that's a really nice payout.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/11/16/costco-declares-10-special-cash-dividend/

i dont own any stocks

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

thathonkey posted:

i dont own any stocks

It's only at $385.99 per right now...

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

At your local Costco. They were having a bulk sale about eight months ago

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

binge crotching posted:

Costco is paying out an extra $10 dividend on the 11th of December. I wish I had more than a couple of shares, because that's a really nice payout.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/11/16/costco-declares-10-special-cash-dividend/

I wish they would give that to their workers instead.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

FogHelmut posted:

I haven't looked at that one closely since I already had a bigger one. Check the calories of the meals. If they are like 400 per meal and you get breakfast lunch dinner and dessert that may be enough for 30 days but you'll probably have to be a little hungry. If it's less than that it'll burn up faster. Ideally it would be 600 each for three meals a day. Divide by number of people too.

Honestly if you're a Costco shopper you probably have enough dry goods to make it through a few days in an emergency, if not a week. But for $60 it's not a bad for a piece of mind. Chances are you'll just store it for 30 years and toss it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah I was thinking for earthquake prep or camping. Dunno about those dry goods, all of my a Costco provisions are in my chest freezer.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
The bucket O food intrigues me. I'd like to have it "just in case", but my wife will call me a wackadoodle.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah I was thinking for earthquake prep or camping. Dunno about those dry goods, all of my a Costco provisions are in my chest freezer.

You don't have 20 lbs of flour, a pound of yeast, 10 of sugar, 25 of rice, 10 of pasta, a flat of tomatoes, chicken stock, soup, canned chicken and tuna, oatmeal, nuts and peanut butter, three boxes of ammo, a spare axle, two wheels....

Remind your wife that a bucket of food doesn't have to be used for society collapse only. An extended power outage, flood, snowstorm, hurricane, earthquake, tornado... Any sort of disaster may cause you to be hunkered down for a week. It may coincide with a week when you're nearly out of food or means to cook it, or don't feel like eating cold peanut butter sandwiches all week.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Saw an article this morning about people might be starting to panic buy again. My supermarket is low on TP again so I'm not sure if its noticeable at Costco yet.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
mountain house is the only one old enough that their testing method is "make it, wait 30 years, taste test", and it mostly succeeds except for stuff w milk solids

refrigeration matters more than you think even w the 100% shelf stable 30 years stuff for making stuff last an eyepopping amount, just from literally slowing chemical rxns down instead of antimicrobial effect

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i posted about it above but my costco was completely out of paper towels and had only a generic brand of tp. the pandemic is starting all over again ahhh

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Chinatown posted:

Saw an article this morning about people might be starting to panic buy again. My supermarket is low on TP again so I'm not sure if its noticeable at Costco yet.

My local Costco was out yesterday. I just ordered some non Kirkland toilet paper online through their website. People are being dumb again.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

StormDrain posted:

You don't have 20 lbs of flour, a pound of yeast, 10 of sugar, 25 of rice, 10 of pasta, a flat of tomatoes, chicken stock, soup, canned chicken and tuna, oatmeal, nuts and peanut butter, three boxes of ammo, a spare axle, two wheels....

Remind your wife that a bucket of food doesn't have to be used for society collapse only. An extended power outage, flood, snowstorm, hurricane, earthquake, tornado... Any sort of disaster may cause you to be hunkered down for a week. It may coincide with a week when you're nearly out of food or means to cook it, or don't feel like eating cold peanut butter sandwiches all week.

I just returned from Church. I could not find the food bucket, but TP is going fast. I overheard a couple workers talking about stocking up before they run out.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

thathonkey posted:

i posted about it above but my costco was completely out of paper towels and had only a generic brand of tp. the pandemic is starting all over again ahhh

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it never actually went away

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
ive still got a full thing of charmin plus two shittier thin kinds leftover from the original scramble in march hope we can ride out another storm

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
A few months ago I picked up a box of Wolf Chili. I'm not exactly sure why. I've never had it before but it seemed like a good idea at the time. I like chili. Although I really like my chili.

I think I was planning on having chili dogs. But I could probably make 50 chili dogs with the amount I got.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

that's only 10lbs though, the ham is 14

will the ham last 25 years if I don't open it?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

thathonkey posted:

ive still got a full thing of charmin plus two shittier thin kinds leftover from the original scramble in march hope we can ride out another storm

i will survive the oncoming societal collapse and mass death, but only if i can maintain a clean rear end.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
we got a showerhead-sort-of bidet (it's a hose with a sprayer that runs from the sink and hangs up next to the toilet) so we'll live without tp. We don't have to like it but we can deal.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah the price difference is insane, it's listed at $350 on the Readywise website. I bought one and put it on my boat, haven't tried it yet but it does seem to have a good variety of meals.

That being said, if your looking for emergency supplies then one of those 25lb bags of dried rice and a case of spam is probably more calorically efficient.

Speaking of good deals, my buddy told me he just picked up the new weighted blankets they have in for $65, duvet included. That same product sans-duvet is listed for $100 on Amazon.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Paper towels and TP were kirkland only today in northern NJ as well, and they looked like they were going fast in the morning.

In other news, finally got some of those sea salt caramels and boy are they as dangerous as people said. The neapolitan cookie balls were good but I wish they were actual malt balls in the center instead of just cookie. Didn't find the smores or the peanut butter cup mix unfortunately, but those are definitely next on the try list

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah everything was gone last night - no TP, no paper towels, no napkins, no flushable wipes (gently caress you if you start a derail), only a couple of cases of baby wipes. But then again, last time all of the regular stores had poo poo when people only seemed to be excessively panic buying at Costco.

Uncle Lizard posted:

My local Costco was out yesterday. I just ordered some non Kirkland toilet paper online through their website. People are being dumb again.

Uhh

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Pretty glad I've been well stocked and picking up a case of TP everytime we go. Sadly though the last time I went they were out of paper towels so welp. i've got regular rags to use so not a big deal and i got a case of significantly inferior product at Target.

I have been wanting to go to Costco to pickup another case of coconut milk and some other things but I'm sure it's going to be slammed

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Down to about 5 rolls of TP, had been planning on going this weekend. With the new restrictions announced here in Seattle though, guessing the best time will be 7pm tomorrow.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I thought about going to costco today and drove past and saw the parking lot insanity and lineup and thought nope.

Honestly considering not re-upping membership for a while until things calm down, I really hate going when it's always a loving madhouse.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

binge crotching posted:

Down to about 5 rolls of TP, had been planning on going this weekend. With the new restrictions announced here in Seattle though, guessing the best time will be 7pm tomorrow.

Honestly going late is good in terms of crowd, but I find even simple things seem to be wiped out by then. Even during the summer covid lull, if I went at 7pm usually they'd be down to a few bundles of TP/PT still, and last few times they were even out of PT going that late. If what you need are non-hot commodity items, then yeah just before closing is great. If you need something more important, then going early ASAP is the best way.

I would say just very early and suck it up crowd-wise if you actually need them. It'll suck, there may be a wait, it'll be a people-zoo, but at least you'll get your poo poo instead of coming back empty handed

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I guess I should have bought TP when my wife asked a month ago instead of sending her a picture of the abundance of TP available at church and telling her not to worry. Because not only are people panic buying, but she started working from home last week, so she's going to go through it even faster. Maybe I should go now just in case.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you're going later I wouldn't count on getting any tp. We were sold out by 1 today.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Hit my church in NW Ohio today.

Couldn't find the face masks. I pick up another 4-pack as mine disappear... thanks, teen! But they're in a different spot every time I go. Couldn't find them today.

"1 per customer" signs were up at TP and paper towels, I still saw a couple olds with 2 each in their carts.

There were plenty of both, and so much Kirkland paper towels that they were double-rowed in the back of the store, and also filled the center of a row in the frozen food section.

And a personal anecdote, the last TP rush made me pay attention to how much TP my household went through. 1 man, 1 man-teen. I had purchased a Kirkland pack of TP in February before anyone knew what the pandemic was, I didn't need to purchase again until July. We watched the TP rush with bemusement. So he and I go through the big TP bundle in about 5 months. Having a bidet helps a ton, prolly.

That's my weird TP flex.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Went today to grab some flats of kirkland vitamin water, energy drinks, la croix and a few other things.

No TP or paper towels. Im good but, yeah, people are starting to do the thing again. :shrug:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

GORDON posted:

Having a bidet helps a ton, prolly.

That's my weird TP flex.

Not weird, superior TP strategy all around.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Checking in from Woodstock, GA Costco an hour ago. There were 5 bags of Kirkland TP left.

Edit:

SpartanIvy posted:

Is this panic buying because of an increased awareness of Corona and people taking staying at home seriously, or the election?

It's probably the first thing.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 18, 2020

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Is this panic buying because of an increased awareness of Corona and people taking staying at home seriously, or the election?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I hope no one panic buys all the bitchen sauce...

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
It's all the people who think that the second lockdown is some giant redo of the first one instead of a continuation.

Ya know, the people who returned to normal who's fault it is we have to do a second round again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Full disclosure I totally bought tp and paper towels on Saturday when I went. I don't want to be caught without again. Just one pack of each.

As of Saturday, my Costco had plenty of TP in top stock but not much paper towels.