Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

FogHelmut posted:

Costco backyard

- play house
- gazebo
- led hanging lights
- pellet grill
- i have a motion light in the box to replace the one by the door
- collapsible hammock (not pictured)

Nice back yard. Palm trees and hills means California and not Florida I assume?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Whooping Crabs posted:

Nice back yard. Palm trees and hills means California and not Florida I assume?

Yes I am in the Costco Nexus

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

OC stands for "Oodles of Costcos"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

FogHelmut posted:

The Laguna Niguel Costco is right by a South African store with really great biltong.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
The replacement three pack of frozen mochi ice cream (different brand, mango strawberry and cookies and cream) is complete trash compared to the green tea, mango and strawberry one. It's disgusting. Too sweet to eat. My wife and I tried a mango one and I actually spat mine out. Gross.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

My new Costco sectional shows up today...I'm excited!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

Costco backyard

- play house
- gazebo
- led hanging lights
- pellet grill
- i have a motion light in the box to replace the one by the door
- collapsible hammock (not pictured)

Looks good. I think you just need the World’s Best Outdoor Mat for your door to complete the set!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

FogHelmut posted:

Wow, looks like someone spent too much at the Costco store store.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

redreader posted:

The replacement three pack of frozen mochi ice cream (different brand, mango strawberry and cookies and cream) is complete trash compared to the green tea, mango and strawberry one. It's disgusting. Too sweet to eat. My wife and I tried a mango one and I actually spat mine out. Gross.

Those are the same brand as the old packs (MyMochi) strawberry and mango taste the same to me. Green tea was always gross, cookies and cream isn't my favorite, but it's miles better than green tea. I literally had 3 separate people comment that they were glad the green tea was gone when they saw the box in my cart.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

MaxPowers posted:

Anyone else feel the vibe of costco has gone down the shitter since being required to wear masks? The costco down the road used to be a good place to hang out, get your tires changed, and have a snack. Now I have to put on a mask to get some strawberry froyo? No thank you. I'll get my 1 dollar totinos from safeway.

lol

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

redreader posted:

Disagree. I want to say it is the same kind Trader Joe’s used to sell before they got replaced with the worst mochi ice cream on the market.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Psion posted:

cosmic crisp if you can get them, though that's likely a regional thing since they're only grown in WA right now

Had one of those this morning and it was probably one of the best apples I've ever had. They are normally pretty expensive at my local grocery store (2.49-2.99/lb) but Kroger randomly had them for 1.29/lb a week ago. Um yes please.

Also yea, Red Delicious apples are trash apples.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I love this thread I love it!! I will now specifically look out for cosmic crisp apples the rest of my life

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
When my kid was in first grade, she designed (with some help) a science project where she had people rate apples from memory. Then she gave them peeled slices of apples (double blind!) and asked them to rank them by preference.

The poor Red Delicious got decent rankings from memory, but fell hard when people actually tasted it. Honeycrisp was top apple overall, even among weirdos like me who tend to prefer a tart green apple.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's a really cool test. I hated apples as a kid because all I had was red delicious. Then I learned of granny smith and ate those exclusively. Now I find them too tart. At a grocery store here there is a full isle of apple varieties.

My favorites have been Gala, since they're usually inexpensive and on sale here, and honeycrisp. I tried Fuji and did not like them. I want to try more.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

namlosh posted:

Just bought my wife the Tresanti(?) desk that has a motor to adjust it from sitting to standing and a built in wireless charger. That makes 2 We’ve gotten and we loooooove them. If you’re on the fence, grab one.

We paid $249.99 for this one, snagged mine on sale for $199.99. I would have probably paid twice that

I've bought 4 or 5 of them now. 2 for my wife and the rest for her employees that request them. They are really nice and pretty easy to setup, too.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

fischtick posted:

When my kid was in first grade, she designed (with some help) a science project where she had people rate apples from memory. Then she gave them peeled slices of apples (double blind!) and asked them to rank them by preference.

The poor Red Delicious got decent rankings from memory, but fell hard when people actually tasted it. Honeycrisp was top apple overall, even among weirdos like me who tend to prefer a tart green apple.

Honeycrisp are amazing. A couple years back I picked bushel’s worth from an orchard and they were mind blowing. I slivered several up and let them soak in a handle of Evan Williams for a month. The apple whiskey was perhaps the best thing I’ve ever sipped. The whiskey got all to apple goodness, the apples absorbed the rough part of the whiskey. Unfortunately that orchard burned in last summer’s fires :smith:

Church talk. I made my first pilgrimage in a year, and this time I checked out the business Costco which is equidistant from me as the regular Costco. It’s cool as hell, but I do not have enough storage for the volumes I would have to purchase.

Next time I have a cookout, I’m grabbing gone of those uncut blocks of ribeye steaks though!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

CaptainCrunch posted:

Next time I have a cookout, I’m grabbing gone of those uncut blocks of ribeye steaks though!

How is that different than a prime rib?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I’m a braeburn apple guy myself

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

StormDrain posted:

It's not.

One you cut a steak off a prime rib (or rib roast), it's a ribeye.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

fischtick posted:

This is really cool and I'm going to keep it in the back of my mind for when my kid gets older

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

StormDrain posted:

toplitzin posted:

It's not.

I did not know that! I've never had the opportunity to get a whole prime rib/roast before, so I didn't know what I was looking at.
Learning something every day, thanks.

Next time I go, I'm bringing a parka. The MEAT ROOM is cold as hell and I was wearing shorts and sandals, so I didn't see everything nor had time to read all the labels. Also they had whole goats! I think they have whole pigs, but again, rushed through and didn't see them.

Urge to buy chest freezer, rising.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Oh happy day, oh happy day! My local Costco business center finally reopened!!! They were shut down to the public and turned into an online fulfillment center for the pandemic, but now it's back! I can finally go back to avoiding the normal people at the normal Costco!

I am entirely too happy about this

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Do I need a special membership to go to a business Costco? I can definitely make up a reason to roast a whole goat.

King Solomon
Jan 20, 2021

FogHelmut posted:

Do I need a special membership to go to a business Costco? I can definitely make up a reason to roast a whole goat.

Nope! It's great.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

toplitzin posted:

It's not.

There was an extremely funny reddit post someone shared in the bad with money thread where the guy was having trouble budgeting, and ate ribeyes twice a week and bought a ridiculously expensive pro-sumer meat slicer to "save money" by slicing his own. Someone did the math on it and it was breaking even in like, 8+ years.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

FogHelmut posted:

I can definitely make up a reason to roast a whole goat.

Thread title.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

canyoneer posted:

There was an extremely funny reddit post someone shared in the bad with money thread where the guy was having trouble budgeting, and ate ribeyes twice a week and bought a ridiculously expensive pro-sumer meat slicer to "save money" by slicing his own. Someone did the math on it and it was breaking even in like, 8+ years.

Can’t find it, but I remember that! IIRC he spent like a large portion of what would’ve been their Christmas money on it. He was also a fisherman so he would be out on the boats for several weeks at a time, and didn’t understand why his wife was upset about the slicer since she could use it while he’s away.

I really want a whole goat, a former chef of mine showed us all how to break one down years ago and I’ve never had occasion to try it since. Alas, I don’t drive and the only business center around is way way out in the burbs :(

Luckily goatchat reminded me that I can go to one of the Greek or Mexican/South American warehouse butchers downtown and special order one.

I’m gonna roast a goat this summer. It is decided.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That's a really cool test. I hated apples as a kid because all I had was red delicious. Then I learned of granny smith and ate those exclusively. Now I find them too tart. At a grocery store here there is a full isle of apple varieties.

My favorites have been Gala, since they're usually inexpensive and on sale here, and honeycrisp. I tried Fuji and did not like them. I want to try more.

Macintosh were my favorite, followed by Granny Smith, followed several leagues behind by red delicious.

Once Gala, Honeycrisp, Fiji, and similar varieties became available I never looked back. I'll have to try cosmic crisp and pink lady if I see them

CaptainCrunch posted:

Do it you won't regret it. You can buy stuff on sale then deep freeze it and it'll keep way longer than fridge freezers since they don't usually have freeze/thaw cycles, and chest freezers keep the cold in better.

We buy ice cream and steaks and produce and also put any excess from our garden in there for later.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The advantages of non frost free freezers are extremely overblown and they won’t make your food last way longer especially if you’re vacuum sealing it which you should be.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
not sure if I misunderstood that but I disagree, my chest deep freezers keep food way better and longer than my upgright fridge freezer. 100% it's obvious to the extent that I now only use my upright fridge freezer as a "holding area" / etc.

Not sure if I just need to defrost or what but the temperature excusions of my fridge freezer are undeniably way higher than the chest freezer and that's what causes ice buildup / freezer burn. Try putting a freezer thermometer in your freezer.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

They must be targeting local businesses or something in my area, because our regular Costco has had whole frozen lamb (I think, it might've been goat) and huge boxes of cubed goat meat. When I pointed it out to my partner, a guy leaned over to me and said very excitedly "And they're halal, too, that's important!"

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

fischtick posted:

Your kid rocks. That's an awesome experiment, especially for a first grader.

Edit:grammar

Pinus Porcus fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 15, 2021

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

CaptainCrunch posted:

As I posted last you can get a 5.0 cu ft for $130, but you'll have to get it at Walmart in store. Unless Costco stops selling out of Chest Freezers.

Then you'll be able to stockpile that meat. Thanksgiving/Christmas? Stuff it full of turkey. Christmas/New Year? Stuff it full of rib roasts. Whenever there's a meat sale just stuff it in there and cook it at your liesure.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Mercury Hat posted:

They must be targeting local businesses or something in my area, because our regular Costco has had whole frozen lamb (I think, it might've been goat) and huge boxes of cubed goat meat. When I pointed it out to my partner, a guy leaned over to me and said very excitedly "And they're halal, too, that's important!"

My guess is that's for Ramadan!

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Greatbacon posted:

My guess is that's for Ramadan!

And it was just Eid. When do we get half off lamb? Or does that only apply to ham and Christian holidays?

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Yeah, more than likely that's a big draw. They've had them in the freezer since way before Easter, though, it gives me the impression it's going to be a more or less permanent product of our store.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Costco: Hey show us your membership card before we let you in. Can't be sure we trust you in here.

Costco: Hey show us the card again before you try to buy anything.

Costco: Hey show us your receipt before you leave in case you stole something.

Costco: We trust you have been vaccinated, no need to wear a mask!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Made the mistake of going to Costco 15 minutes after they opened today. I was in line 30 minutes after opening and lines were packed with people’s carts full of stuff.

Then the lady ahead of me paid with a check and the register system crashed. We all had to move to another line and this is another reason checks are loving stupid.

That’s my ‘Co story-thanks for listening.