Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

1) The albatross is a good thing, the Ancient Mariner was punished for having killed the good thing by being forced to bear its corpse. LIES, EMAILS, and SCANDALS are good things now? And Hillary somehow killed them? 2) In what universe is Comey separate from EMAILS and SCANDALS?

Sandpuppy posted:

Trump's a sucker that will believe anything. AGC

lmao at Branco calling Trump a loser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Abyssal Squid posted:

lmao at Branco calling Trump a loser

I think Branco's audience isn't going to read it that way. I think they fixate more on what he is calling the GOP.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Liberty is brought to her knees when a nation is co-opted by a religion; A Good Cartoon.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

It's May 4th, she should be doing this:

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Cover lady liberty in Cinco de Quatro decorations since we got the Bluths in the white house committing light treason

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I think Branco's audience isn't going to read it that way. I think they fixate more on what he is calling the GOP.

Trump's supposed to be the ultimate dealmaker, but he can't even recognize when he's being played in the same way every time.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Good God Almighty.

Who is this? I'd like to look up some of their other work.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Radish posted:

Frankly I'm loving sick of loathsome people supporting horrible things pushing "god bless!" or "our prayers go out to.." as if that absolves them from kicking people off healthcare, supporting minorities being murdered by police, or just general loving over LGBT folks. I bet her last tweet was talking about how good the latest Trump EO was so everyone yelling at her based on her history and hypocritical nature is totally valid.

But no it's because everyone is so offended by the most popular religion in the country that's it.

I'm just sick of it during allergy season, because this year I decided to start sneezing a shitload, and it's every loving time. And I don't feel like saying it to other people when they sneeze, so I hate when there's only 2 people in the office. You're not getting me to say anything! Sneezing is sorta fun!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

Good God Almighty.

Who is this? I'd like to look up some of their other work.

Pia Guerra, late of Y: The Last Man and now a politoonist.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Steve Ditko is an old-school comic book artist and writer who was fairly prolific in the old booming days of the 50s and 60s, he was instrumental in early Marvel and worked for DC and Timely comics as well, but he got disgusted with the business and sort of dropped off the radar in the mid-80s. He's most famous for co-creating Spider-man, including that iconic costume and all his early villains, but he also helped create Dr. Strange and his major villains, he created The Question, Captain Atom, Ted Kord Blue Beetle, Squirrel Girl, Shade the Changing Man, and a bunch of loving nobodies like The Creeper and Hawk and Dove. He also worked on horror comics for ages and that background really shows in his art. Guy's like one of my favorite comic book artists of all time, he was really talented and had a great sense of visual storytelling.

But the thing is that, Steve Ditko is an Objectivist. And not like, college libertarian style objectivism. He might be the most objectivist human to ever walk the earth, and takes the concepts of the philosophy extremely seriously. Like he's repeatedly refused to accept money that didn't come with proper accreditation of his work because he believed that'd make him complicit in the exploitation of artists, so he's not a "gently caress you got mine" kind of objectivist, he's a true believer. This caused some friction between him and his contributors at Marvel, who were largely big ol' hippies. Some of his beliefs would occasionally slip into his mainstream work, like this infamous Spider-man page:

Just look at that sneering contempt on Spidey's face.

The Question was also an expression of Ditko's politics to a degree, but that's boring poo poo. What I want to talk about is when Steve decided to directly talk about his politics in some indie comics. He published a comic called Mr. A, who was basically The Question with the Objectivism and moralizing cranked up to 12. He was also the inspiration for Rorschach in Watchmen, and can be best summed up with this 2 page spread:

Mr. A would constantly interact with people who aren't objectivist and therefore act like liberal characters in a Mallard Fillmore strip, ranting about how shades of grey rule and how individual liberty is bad and the UN is good for society, before inevitably either being violently proven wrong or just rapidly escalating into murder, all the while yelling about how dumb and goddamn crazy they are and making crazed expressions. Mr. A would sort things out by beating up and lecturing everyone about The Fountainhead or whatever, and would routinely let people die out of spite because he didn't feel they deserved to be saved. More than any other character Ditko's ever written, Mr. A is a reflection of his personal morals and worldview, and the comics are a surreal read filled with gigantic pages of political manifesto disguised as dialogue and ridiculous stories where no one acts like a human being ever would because they're all made of straw. Combined with Ditko's tendency towards nightmarish imagery, it's a very odd read and Neil Gaiman was right to describe it as "outsider art".

But more on Mr. A later. Now that I've done this long preamble, what I want to talk about is another indie comic Ditko published called The Avenging World, where the planet earth itself yells at the reader about who's loving up the world, and the answer is "Everyone who isn't Steve Ditko". I'm going to post chapter one of that comic. Warning: First Dog level of :words: incoming. Also I hope you like your fuckin' labels.

Here's the planet, glowering at the reader. Get used to that look. I find the newspaper headlines pasted in throughout really contribute to making this look like the work of a madman.

:eyepop:

:capitalism:

Now this upcoming guy gets 3 pages, because being neutral and compromising is the greatest evil possible in Ditko's mind.

Oh sorry did I say 3 pages? Turns out there's 5 more.

Look at those evil loving poor people, wanting the basic means to survive.

Wow this compromising guy is a real jerk! Anyway, back to other people who aren't Steve Ditko.

And now all these pricks with incorrect ideologies team up to recreate Dante's Inferno.

Are you getting the message that objective truths and individual rights are important and that compromise is bad yet? Anyway, this is the end of part 1 of the Avenging World. Believe it or not, it gets much more insane from there.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 5, 2017

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Holy poo poo. I didn't realize how literally the political cartoon in Watchmen was spoofing Ditko. Great post, Lurdiak.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Chip Bok posted:

Ann Coulter thinks The Washington Swamp is winning.

In her latest column, titled Swamp People 47; Trump 0, she says, “If this is the budget bill we get when Republicans control the House, the Senate, and the presidency, there’s no point in ever voting republican again.”

Meanwhile Vice President Pence got past Mr. Snerdley, the call screener, only to have Rush Limbaugh ask him, “Mr. Vice President, why vote Republican.”

And finally WSJ‘s Daniel Henninger asks, What is a Republican for?

If, after voters delivered control of Congress to them in 2016, these same Republicans can’t – or will not – produce an ObamaCare reform, those voters may reasonably ask in 2018: Why do we need these people?What is a Republican for?

Update: The House narrowly passed a bill to repeal and replace ObamaCare.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Lurdiak posted:

Insanity.

...wow, that Steve Ditko guy sure is....uh....wow...

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Okay, no Trump supporter has any grounds at all to criticize someone for crude sexual language.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Fulchrum posted:

Thinking "a good ramirez" is like thinking "a good Breitbart article", and probably done by the same people for the same reasons.
I mean, I voted for her because she's better than Trump but plenty of people couldn't get over emails/benghazi/pizzagate garbage.

It's funnier that Ramirez is back to attacking Hillary. Head in the sand.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

May the Christ be with you.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Faustian Bargain posted:

I mean, I voted for her because she's better than Trump but plenty of people couldn't get over emails/benghazi/pizzagate garbage.

It's funnier that Ramirez is back to attacking Hillary. Head in the sand.

Its claiming that Russia and Comey had nothing to do with her loss. She said that she had significant problems, but that outside interference from the FBI and Russia affected the results significantly, while Ramirez is pretending that they didn't change anything at all. Which is complete horseshit

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

People give Frank Miller a lot of poo poo about his views and politics being forced into comics, but its way more common than you'd think. Miller is basically just more likely to write unintentionally funny dialogue.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fulchrum posted:

People give Frank Miller a lot of poo poo about his views and politics being forced into comics, but its way more common than you'd think. Miller is basically just more likely to write unintentionally funny dialogue.

With him, it's more how influential his work has quite unfortunately been on the medium at large.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bicyclops posted:

With him, it's more how influential his work has quite unfortunately been on the medium at large.

Yeah, that Steve Ditko, not like he or any characters he made ever influenced anyone.

Like, I get what you're saying, but The Dark Knight Returns can be pretty easily separated from Millers misogyny and fascistic leanings - thats why it resonated so well. At that point in the mediums life, a darker, grittier story would have been made, and become popular. It was kind of inevitable. As was it being copies and setting the tone for writers and artists who came after him. But that's hardly his fault, he was just the catalyst, but it was still inevitable that SOMEONE would have caused the same effect.

Heck, Alan Moore did the same thing 7 months later.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

They looooooooove Death!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Hey, after all those frat parties back in college, who can blame Death being drawn to a happening with an open bar?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

skeleton warrior posted:

Holy poo poo. I didn't realize how literally the political cartoon in Watchmen was spoofing Ditko. Great post, Lurdiak.

Fulchrum posted:

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

One thing that's important to point out is that, despite Steve Ditko's undisguised contempt for "irrationals" and to a lesser extent, the poor, his work has never expressed any serious misogyny, racism, or nationalism*. This sets him apart from people like Miller or more banal right-wing leaning jerk creators, who typically wear those things as a point of pride. It's entirely about the sweat of a man's brow and natural rights and all that with him.

*Though Ditko is obviously anti-UN, this false dichotomy of nationalism on one side and "globalism" on another is a very recent invention. More to the point, Ditko doesn't seem to believe in American exceptionalism one iota, he just hates dictatorships.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

skeleton warrior posted:

Alan Moore basically made Rorschach, who's already a discount version of The Question owing to Watchmen's origins as a story about Charleton Comics characters, a guy who parrots Steve Ditko's worldviews. Ditko I guess described Rorschach as "like Mr. A, but insane."

Fake edit: And here's a clip of Moore explaining all of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSdZETnEacA

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

One thing that's important to point out is that, despite Steve Ditko's undisguised contempt for "irrationals" and to a lesser extent, the poor, his work has never expressed any serious misogyny, racism, or nationalism*. This sets him apart from people like Miller or more banal right-wing leaning jerk creators, who typically wear those things as a point of pride. It's entirely about the sweat of a man's brow and natural rights and all that with him.

*Though Ditko is obviously anti-UN, this false dichotomy of nationalism on one side and "globalism" on another is a very recent invention. More to the point, Ditko doesn't seem to believe in American exceptionalism one iota, he just hates dictatorships.

That does make his views slightly more palatable. As in his views are horrible but it is just one layer of bullshit rather then the multistory bullshit that others push.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fulchrum posted:

The Dark Knight Returns can be pretty easily separated from Millers misogyny and fascistic leanings

Uhhhh....

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

As in, writing a darker grittier Batman story can be seperated from Millers hatred of the media and tendency to make every woman a prostitute.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's possible, but I think the medium ran with Miller's more adolescent version of what "dark and gritty" means rather than a more nuanced one. But sure, that could just be that most mainstream, mass produced media will tend that way, I guess.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hunt11 posted:

That does make his views slightly more palatable. As in his views are horrible but it is just one layer of bullshit rather then the multistory bullshit that others push.

It's part of why I find him so fascinating. I completely and utterly disagree with his worldview and find it repugnant, but I can't accuse him of being a hypocrite or an ignorant bigot. He's not a Mike Lester or Ramirez who'll just root for his team no matter what the facts say, he's just got a completely insane idea of how the world ought to be and feels very strongly about it. He's a very different kind of wingnut.

SomeMathGuy posted:

Alan Moore basically made Rorschach, who's already a discount version of The Question owing to Watchmen's origins as a story about Charleton Comics characters, a guy who parrots Steve Ditko's worldviews. Ditko I guess described Rorschach as "like Mr. A, but insane."

Fake edit: And here's a clip of Moore explaining all of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSdZETnEacA

"In search of Steve Ditko" is a wonderful documentary that I recommend to everyone who has any interest in the man or superhero comic history. Most people know Jack Kirby and Stan Lee, but in my view, not nearly enough people know who Steve Ditko was and how influential his work was.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bicyclops posted:

It's possible, but I think the medium ran with Miller's more adolescent version of what "dark and gritty" means rather than a more nuanced one. But sure, that could just be that most mainstream, mass produced media will tend that way, I guess.

There's a reason why Rorschach was a major inspiration for a lot of characters who came after him, and its not because he was intended to be emulated.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I believe I found one of the elusive Good Rall cartoons?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Pakled posted:

Okay, no Trump supporter has any grounds at all to criticize someone for crude sexual language.

Some RWM talking head on the radio, no idea who it was (I only heard him talk for about three minutes) said that it wasn't the language that was the problem, it was that the statement was homophobic and the LGBT community should be furious at Colbert for it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Lurdiak posted:

It's part of why I find him so fascinating. I completely and utterly disagree with his worldview and find it repugnant, but I can't accuse him of being a hypocrite or an ignorant bigot. He's not a Mike Lester or Ramirez who'll just root for his team no matter what the facts say, he's just got a completely insane idea of how the world ought to be and feels very strongly about it. He's a very different kind of wingnut.

"In search of Steve Ditko" is a wonderful documentary that I recommend to everyone who has any interest in the man or superhero comic history. Most people know Jack Kirby and Stan Lee, but in my view, not nearly enough people know who Steve Ditko was and how influential his work was.

Yeah, and these days all of those sort of wingnuts are dead as there's money to be made rooting for chaos. Apparently the man is still around and I can only wonder what he'd say about modern politics. Probably nothing good.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the_steve posted:

the art's still a loving mess

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Some RWM talking head on the radio, no idea who it was (I only heard him talk for about three minutes) said that it wasn't the language that was the problem, it was that the statement was homophobic and the LGBT community should be furious at Colbert for it.

I love the projection involved to think that a joke about politicians having intercourse is bad because of the genders of the politicians involved.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

santanotreal posted:

I love the projection involved to think that a joke about politicians having intercourse is bad because of the genders of the politicians involved.

'Jokes' about how homophobic politicians are secretly gay are trite and homophobic. They place the blame for homophobia on those darn homos, always hating themselves and making life tougher for each other. They aren't funny and have no place in modern political discourse, especially when Mike "shock the gay away" Pence is in the White House and Vladimir Putin and his Chechen puppet regime are putting homosexuals into concentration camps.

E: Of course, conservatives are huge baby bitches and their "campaign" against Colbert is particularly dumb and petty.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

the_steve posted:

WTF is wrong with her leg? Also, I can't red a Ted Rall now without imagining Rall leaning back after the last line is penned saying to himself "That's right, everyone is wrong but you, Ted."

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

SwitchbladeKult posted:

WTF is wrong with her leg?

She poo poo her pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Pants Donkey posted:

I feel like it's uncomfortable clash of science and native religious beliefs. Like, I can believe the land bridge was made up to justify taking native land (although loling at "They've only been here 15,000 years.") but the "Always Here" stance is a thing among natives. Like you said, it'd be a massive change for the origins of our species.

That's kinda the thrust of it. There's been a pretty goddamn long history of science being used to delegitimize native peoples that it's made a lot of us suspicious of it.

The whole Kennewick Man clusterfuck was this. Even though the remains were eventually shown to be related to the nations in the area, the initial claims that he had Caucasian features got picked up and ran with.

• Locked thread